Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Free Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 54, 55, 56  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broncofan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/841677329042677760

It's official - Webster is a Ram. We knew he was leaving but what's interesting is the deal.

2 yr / 8M with incentives up to 12M. Obv. with Phillips as DC this was a logical landing spot. It does underline our need to take advantage of this insane draft class of CB at some point and get our long term Talib replacement.

Either way wish him well with Son of Bum in LA.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tennessee Titans signs Sylvester Williams. No details (yet) on the contract.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can say it a billion times still wont make it any less wrong.

We are a contender in the same vein that Oakland and KC are contenders, as in fake contenders, and likely even on a lower level than those two.

We needed some splashes to move from a middling team with an excellent defense and atrocious offense. We didn't make those moves.

I think its smart to have low expectations. I see us as 3rd on paper in this division. We need 2, possibly 3, plug-and-play starting caliber talents from this draft to make the jump talent wise to keep up with KC and OK while also negating the inevitable bumps that a new coaching staff brings. And its really quire rare to snag 2-3 of the above type talents in a single draft.

Elway needs to have his best draft since 2011, with legitimate impact players, if we wish to stay in the mix. And historically that's a pretty tall order.
broncofan48

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

We are a contender in the same vein that Oakland and KC are contenders, as in fake contenders, and likely even on a lower level than those two.

We needed some splashes to move from a middling team with an excellent defense and atrocious offense. We didn't make those moves.

I think its smart to have low expectations. I see us as 3rd on paper in this division. We need 2, possibly 3, plug-and-play starting caliber talents from this draft to make the jump talent wise to keep up with KC and OK while also negating the inevitable bumps that a new coaching staff brings. And its really quire rare to snag 2-3 of the above type talents in a single draft.

Elway needs to have his best draft since 2011, with legitimate impact players, if we wish to stay in the mix. And historically that's a pretty tall order.

Yea even if we add Romo I don't see us as Superbowl contenders, or at least a real one. Maybe had we gotten Campbell and Whitworth. We will probably be relying on a rookie or low end vet for LT. The additions on D have been underwhelming and teams like Oakland are just going to run it down our throats again. Not to mention a rookie HC and DC. Odds are the entire defense regresses slightly, maybe not much, but I don't think Denver is good enough to make the playoffs this year unless Elway just kills it in the draft.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncofan48 wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

Yea even if we add Romo I don't see us as Superbowl contenders, or at least a real one. Maybe had we gotten Campbell and Whitworth. We will probably be relying on a rookie or low end vet for LT. The additions on D have been underwhelming and teams like Oakland are just going to run it down our throats again. Not to mention a rookie HC and DC. Odds are the entire defense regresses slightly, maybe not much, but I don't think Denver is good enough to make the playoffs this year unless Elway just kills it in the draft.

FA inflation really bit us hard. Whitworth was the only T who priced into his actual performance tier (top 5 LT salary for the #2 Overall T). Reiff, Wagner even Remmers (who is moving to RT so his salary compared there) and of course Okung got paid waaaaaay above their performance scale. It's why I will always maintain passing on Whitworth was a massive mistake but I'm beating a dead horse there.

What was unexpected was the NT market inflation. Logan getting 8m after a down 2016 was unexpected (we all expected Brandon Williams to get paid). So we got Peko/Kerr instead (I like the Kerr signing FTR just not the impact with Peko). Let's be honest - how many of us thought Elway would even consider keeping Stephenson or that right now he's one if our top 2 T? God I hope we can get King Dunlap cheaply.

As it stands hopefully we can swing a trade for a real LT and have Dunlap as our swing T. And pray Watson stays healthy. And find 1-2 more value DE to help the trenches.

But it's fair to say KC and Oak are better than us in the most important area - trench warfare. Our pass D (pass rush and coverage) is still elite but as we saw last year when that's our only advantage teams can beat us regularly. Elway not only has to knock this draft out of the park and find help in the remaining FA left but the draft would have to produce several 2017 Day 1 starters to help us address our 2017 needs. That's not a reasonable expectation. If out of the 4 top 100 picks we get 3 2018 week 1 starters Elway gets an A. 3 2017 Week 1 starters at the 20 slot? That's so rare it's hard to hope for...let alone bank on. And that's before we account for Elway's draft struggles in Rd 2-3. Pick me

Last edited by Broncofan on Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elway doesn't pay ILB but Zach Brown is still out there. If the market is bare, snagging him for something like 15M over 3 years would be a nice move. He is pretty dynamic player, good at blitzing and excellent in coverage. One year wonder in BUF and past inconsistencies / immaturity make him somewhat risky though. But he is certainly a better player than Todd.

Also think that Austin Pasztor would be a great late FA signing. Nothing spectacular, but a decent player who PFF graded out quite well and versatile along the line. His age at 27 is pretty nice too. He doesn't play with much run-game push, but is a great option as a backup swing OT. Sadly, it seems that Elway is content with Stephenson as the swing though.

LT - Watson LG - Lamp OC - Paradis RG - Leary RT - Schofield v Dunlap
BENCH - Swing OT Stephenson Swing IOL Max Garcia Depth Connor McGovern

I am warming to the idea of the above rotation. Might be one of our best options of a bunch of sub-par options.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw that the Chargers dropped Revis. Not sure there would be an interest for the Broncos. Could be a big hit!
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
Just saw that the Chargers dropped Revis. Not sure there would be an interest for the Broncos. Could be a big hit!

Jets you mean.

The offset language in Revis contract means that he doesn't get to keep any of the $ below the 6m guaranteed that the Jets have to pay him only goes to the Jets.

No way we pay him even half that. So he would play for free and help the team that cut him. The only realistic scenario where he plays if someone offers 7-8m so he keeps 1-2m. Otherwise he can sit at home and make the same $. I don't know if anyone is that desperate given the depth of this DB draft class.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:

Jets you mean.

The offset language in Revis contract means that he doesn't get to keep any of the $ below the 6m guaranteed that the Jets have to pay him only goes to the Jets.

No way we pay him even half that. So he would play for free and help the team that cut him. The only realistic scenario where he plays if someone offers 7-8m so he keeps 1-2m. Otherwise he can sit at home and make the same $. I don't know if anyone is that desperate given the depth of this DB draft class.

98% certain the ticker read, Chargers dropped....Revis.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dekoda Watson a 49er - wish him well, once we got Edebali he wasn't coming back.
Reggie Nelson#1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
Dekoda Watson a 49er - wish him well, once we got Edebali he wasn't coming back.
I wished we had Watson instead at the same price the 49ers paid. He was great on ST and had some potential to rush the passer. Always giving his 110%.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elway is undoubtedly looking at the value FA market to fill out 3-4 DE right now - Vance Walker is still out there, and likely he'd be a depth signing (hasn't played full snaps except for 2 years, and fresh off an ACL, can't count on more than rotational depth).

Another possibility is Arthur Jones - released from IND. When he was healthy, he was a great run stuffing 3-4 DE in his BAL days...but problem is injuries and 4-game suspension - missed all of 2015 with ankle injury, then lost 4 games for PED's last year. At 30, might be done, so not a prime target by any means. A vet min signing could be worth exploring, since the risk would be so minimal.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
Elway is undoubtedly looking at the value FA market to fill out 3-4 DE right now - Vance Walker is still out there, and likely he'd be a depth signing (hasn't played full snaps except for 2 years, and fresh off an ACL, can't count on more than rotational depth).

Another possibility is Arthur Jones - released from IND. When he was healthy, he was a great run stuffing 3-4 DE in his BAL days...but problem is injuries and 4-game suspension - missed all of 2015 with ankle injury, then lost 4 games for PED's last year. At 30, might be done, so not a prime target by any means. A vet min signing could be worth exploring, since the risk would be so minimal.

I thought they just signed that dude from the Saints. And, I would think Gotsis is going to take the leap to starter this year.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
Broncofan wrote:

I thought they just signed that dude from the Saints. And, I would think Gotsis is going to take the leap to starter this year.

Anything's possible, but Edebali is probably our 4th EDGE. 6'2, 250 is awful light for DE. EDGE is what he played in NO's 3-4 - and he's quite decent in ST, which is probably a big factor as well. The fact we let Dekoda Watson go as our 4th EDGE / ST standout with Ware's retirement leaves the 4th EDGE open, and with Watson being a key to ST and Edebali being a regular ST guy on NO, seems like the fit.

We're all hoping Gostsis takes a leap forward, but to count on anything more than rotational work seems really optimistic. At least 1 3-4 DE signing seems in the cards (be it bargain FA or draft). Wouldn't surprise me if we got 2.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Allbright says that talk has heated up for Denver sending a pick to dallas for Tony Romo. He'd get paid the vet minimum for the deal and the rest in signing bonuses.

I would hate the move but it looks inevitable.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 54, 55, 56  Next
Page 55 of 56

Jump to: