Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

who helped/hurt themselves the most at the combine?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jlash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:
Do teams really care about the 3 cone and shuttle? And more importantly did Cook really care about them?

If he didn't care about what amounts to a face to face job interview, that would also be alarming.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:
Do teams really care about the 3 cone and shuttle? And more importantly did Cook really care about them?

A. Yes.
B. He should do, but there is probably a discussion to to be had around whether times for some drills can be radically improved through repetitive practice
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
LuckIsGOAT wrote:

A. Yes.
B. He should do, but there is probably a discussion to to be had around whether times for some drills can be radically improved through repetitive practice
If you haven't run through the 3-cone drill and 20SS multiple times leading up to the combine you are an idiot of the highest order. It isn't exactly hard to setup

If he hadn't ever done the drill I would be far more concerned than a poor time

#1 ET Supporter
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:

You, VanS and Ozzy need to start a band together.
lark25

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 cone is probably more important than the 40. All prospects practice this drill repetitively, I cannot see how Dalvin wouldn't have in his combine prep.

Either way it's a concern. McCaffrey is only 8lbs lighter, I wouldn't even consider Cook before him. Cook has great straight line speed and acceleration, but do you really see crazy agility? With his limitations he may struggle against better faster defenders.
IronLion35

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zay Jones and Taywan Taylor helped themselves a lot. Chris Godwin helped himself.

Carlos Henderson hurt himself a little bit (personally I still like him a lot though).

Don't know what James Quick's projection was but he was godawful in literally every category. Hard to find an uglier spider graph.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:

Honestly, it would not surprise me if for all positions except CBs and DBs, the drills NFL teams pay the most attention to are the shuttle and the cone. These are far more applicable to a wide variety of real NFL game situations than "run 40 yards in a straight line."

Like if you're looking for athletic offensive linemen (for a zone scheme, say), the cone and shuttle drills are the only measurables that really matter.
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the short burst and 3-cone is what I look at with edge rushers. Its pretty good in determining who will be able to turn the edge in the NFL. If a edge rusher prospect runs his 3 cone in under 7 seconds, I think he has nice hips and could be a good one. especially with college production.

I bet Derek Barnett is gonna be a good player, he had tons of sacks in college and has a 6.96 3-cone. Chances are very good hes going to be a 10+ sack guy in the NFL.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
Duffman57

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:
the short burst and 3-cone is what I look at with edge rushers. Its pretty good in determining who will be able to turn the edge in the NFL. If a edge rusher prospect runs his 3 cone in under 7 seconds, I think he has nice hips and could be a good one. especially with college production.

I bet Derek Barnett is gonna be a good player, he had tons of sacks in college and has a 6.96 3-cone. Chances are very good hes going to be a 10+ sack guy in the NFL.

You have to look at what the drills show though. The L drill/3 cone show the ability to bend around the edge well, but it doesn't show that you have the necessary power to anchor vs OT's or that you show the burst to get upfield.

Barnett confirmed exactly what the tape showed. He's not an explosive pass rusher or a really good speed rusher, but he's very technical and good at bending the edge tight against OT's and has good ankle flexion. Meaning that he can powerfully press against the outside shoulder of the OT while bending the edge. But part of that is that you need to have the burst to get around NFL OT's consistently, and I don't see it from him very often. He's more of a snap timer than someone with a really explosive get off, so when he gets it right, he can show that bend. That's easier to do in college than it is in the pros, and its also a lot easier to do vs college LT's than NFL LT's.

I just don't see him as a consistent 10+ sack guy in the NFL. I see him as more of a Shaun Phillips/Trent Murphy type, where he's not really explosive and you don't want him to be you're true #1 pass rusher, but if you get him in a complimentary role where he's given space outside to rush, he can put up 10+ sacks, but is probably going to sit in that 7-10 range his entire career.

Athletically he's really hard to find a comparison, because there's so few guys that are that un-explosive but at the same time, so good at bending the edge. Its a weird combo. But Shaun Phillips had somewhat similar numbers.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
D.Revis24 wrote:

You have to look at what the drills show though. The L drill/3 cone show the ability to bend around the edge well, but it doesn't show that you have the necessary power to anchor vs OT's or that you show the burst to get upfield.

Barnett confirmed exactly what the tape showed. He's not an explosive pass rusher or a really good speed rusher, but he's very technical and good at bending the edge tight against OT's and has good ankle flexion. Meaning that he can powerfully press against the outside shoulder of the OT while bending the edge. But part of that is that you need to have the burst to get around NFL OT's consistently, and I don't see it from him very often. He's more of a snap timer than someone with a really explosive get off, so when he gets it right, he can show that bend. That's easier to do in college than it is in the pros, and its also a lot easier to do vs college LT's than NFL LT's.

I just don't see him as a consistent 10+ sack guy in the NFL. I see him as more of a Shaun Phillips/Trent Murphy type, where he's not really explosive and you don't want him to be you're true #1 pass rusher, but if you get him in a complimentary role where he's given space outside to rush, he can put up 10+ sacks, but is probably going to sit in that 7-10 range his entire career.

Athletically he's really hard to find a comparison, because there's so few guys that are that un-explosive but at the same time, so good at bending the edge. Its a weird combo. But Shaun Phillips had somewhat similar numbers.

Don't we need to have a 'where he wins' discussion here? Agreed that Barnett isn't an explosive speed rusher and that may hold him back, but he's already so good with his hands that you can't just dismiss that as an important part of why he was so productive in college. That swipe move to get blocker's hands down is lethal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: