You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Panthers To Sign LT Matt Kalil
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
Who on earth were they bidding against?

the Vikings..

actually from some of the rumors the Vikings actually offered a larger contract and he chose to play with his brother.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
joru1000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

the Vikings..

actually from some of the rumors the Vikings actually offered a larger contract and he chose to play with his brother.

Nonsense. This front office knew better than anyone else how bad he was.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joru1000 wrote:
gopherwrestler wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

the Vikings..

I thought we offered 3/30?

Wow am I out of the loop..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synyster wrote:
RabidPanther89 wrote:
Panthers were forced to make a move at LT. Here's to hoping they can resurrect his career. Oher turned out quite good for us before his concussion.

5y/55mill isn't and shouldn't be a move.

it's preposterous on all fronts.

It's $25 million gauranteed. Oher may very well retire. They couldn't go into next season without a LT. And there is no T worth drafting with 8th pick much less expect him to start.

Gettleman can't just willing let Cam not have protection. Especially with the way the league treated him last season.

The good news is that Panthers interior line is one of the best in the NFL. So a better supporting cast will help Kalil and given that Cam is mobile it may suppress his faults.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
joru1000 wrote:
gopherwrestler wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

the Vikings..

I thought we offered 3/30?

Wow am I out of the loop..

Sounds like that was the starting bid, numbers went back and forth on the way up.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
MrBurfict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninerfanwheelz wrote:
5 years/55 million, 25 guaranteed. This has to be the worst deal of the offseason

My God. I truly feel awful for Cam. Dave Gettleman should be charged with attempted murder for this signing.
CatalystNX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate that we paid him this much, but it's possible the numbers are inflated and/or the structure of the deal allows us to cut him after a couple years without paying more than the $25 million guaranteed.

However, based on what I've heard about Kalil, I'm somewhat optimistic about this move, despite massively overpaying for a reclamation project.

The three things I've heard about Kalil's performance are that 1) He's had knee issues since his fairly solid rookie year, 2) He seems to lack focus/passion for the game, and 3) He had a hip injury that forced him to miss last season.

From what I've read, he had surgery on both knees last offseason, and the hip problem was something that had bothered him since college that had gotten progressively worse over the years and finally had to be addressed. If that is the case, he could finally be relatively healthy heading into this season, having had surgery to correct those two lingering issues.

As for the focus/passion for the game problem, perhaps playing alongside his big brother - who is a locker room leader and leader of the OL - will help keep him focused and motivated. Plus, as has been mentioned in this thread, our OL coaches did manage to make Michael Oher look not awful in 2015 after several terrible seasons in Baltimore and Tennessee.

So yeah, did we overpay? Good lord, yes. However, I'm choosing to stay relatively optimistic about this move as there does seem top be evidence that he could finally be ready to reach the potential he had as a top-5 pick. And if he doesn't, he can't possibly be any worse than Mike Remmers was last season at left tackle.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninerfanwheelz wrote:
5 years/55 million, 25 guaranteed. This has to be the worst deal of the offseason

First impression says yes.

However, i would expect this to be a very incentive driven contract. As in your base salary will be like 7 mio per year for 5 years with 25 guaranteed and you'll get incentives for starting/playing 90% of the offensive snaps, pro bowl, etc.
And probably the 25 mio guaranteed is front loaded so that the Panthers can cut ties after 2 years.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be nice to suck at your job and yet be rewarded with a fat contract to set you up financially for the rest of your life.

Panthers looked at his draft profile coming out, saw the performance as a rookie, and paid him as if he continued to improve, probably thinking that all his mistakes and weaknesses will be magically fixed in Carolina. In other words, they think they are far more clever than everyone else.

^^El ramster^^
FF Hunger Games I Winner

#JDI
FootballProdiG wrote:
Cant spell choke without OKC
OleXmad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
Must be nice to suck at your job and yet be rewarded with a fat contract to set you up financially for the rest of your life.

Panthers looked at his draft profile coming out, saw the performance as a rookie, and paid him as if he continued to improve, probably thinking that all his mistakes and weaknesses will be magically fixed in Carolina. In other words, they think they are far more clever than everyone else.

Is that not the american dream? Obviously a horrific deal for the panthers but at least Cam's outfits are funny.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
CatalystNX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some info on the structure of the contract is now available:

Quote:
Kalil has guaranteed salaries of $1 million and $11 million in his first two seasons in Charlotte. His $11 million base in 2018 is nearly identical to what he made in 2016 in his final season in Minnesota.

Kalil’s $7 million salary for 2019 is guaranteed if he’s injured, and fully guaranteed if he’s on the roster on the third day of the 2019 league year. He has base salaries of $10 million in 2020 and $10.5 million in 2021, when Kalil will be 32.

Cap hits:

2017: $3.4M
2018: $5.9M
2019: $11.9M
2020: $14.9M
2021: $15.4M

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article138322628.html#storylink=cpy

So looks like it's heavily back-loaded with the ability to cut him after 2 seasons if he doesn't pan out in what would essentially amount to a 2-year $25million deal. Still a lot, but not as risky as it looked a few days ago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CatalystNX wrote:
Some info on the structure of the contract is now available:

Quote:
Kalil has guaranteed salaries of $1 million and $11 million in his first two seasons in Charlotte. His $11 million base in 2018 is nearly identical to what he made in 2016 in his final season in Minnesota.

Kalil’s $7 million salary for 2019 is guaranteed if he’s injured, and fully guaranteed if he’s on the roster on the third day of the 2019 league year. He has base salaries of $10 million in 2020 and $10.5 million in 2021, when Kalil will be 32.

Cap hits:

2017: $3.4M
2018: $5.9M
2019: $11.9M
2020: $14.9M
2021: $15.4M

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article138322628.html#storylink=cpy

So looks like it's heavily back-loaded with the ability to cut him after 2 seasons if he doesn't pan out in what would essentially amount to a 2-year $25million deal. Still a lot, but not as risky as it looked a few days ago.

It might actually be worse. If you cut him and make it a 2/25 and cut him after 2nd year, it would come with a dead cap hit of 14.7M. Nothing about this contract or signing is good in any way. Could have had a Whitworth, at much less risk, a clearly higher level of play, and only risk is slight regression due to age. Which would still put him in top half of LTs in the league. Now, we have to pray that Kalil's injuries were the reason he sucked for 4 years, and that he's healthy now.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/14/matt-kalils-contract-has-a-one-year-trial-period/

Quote:
Touted as a five-year, $55.5 million contract, the deal signed last week by tackle Matt Kalil in Carolina is actually a one-year contract with a chance for Kalil to unlock the balance in 2018.

Per a source with knowledge of the deal, the Panthers have to decide between the first and fifth day of the 2018 league year whether to exercise a $10 million option bonus for 2021, with a $10 million non-exercise fee for 2018. The only way to avoid the option bonus or the fee is to cut him or trade him before the deadline for exercising the option.

For now, the deal pays out $13 million for one year, with a $1 million guarantee in 2018 that surely is subject to offset.

While that’s a lot to pay Kalil for one season, it gives the Panthers a clear out in the event that, after paying $13 million in 2017, they decide not to give him another $11 million in 2018. The incentive to do so comes from a more affordable $7 million salary in 2019. Also, salaries of $10 million in 2020 and $10.5 million in 2021 may seem to be a lot less daunting if the salary cap keeps going up $10 million or more per year.

Quote:
The mistake appears in the fully-guaranteed 2018 base salary, which per NFLPA records is $1 million. Per a source with knowledge of the deal, it’s actually $11 million.

The face of the contract shows that the $11 million salary drops to $1 million once a $10 million option bonus is exercised in 2018.

So Kalil will get $24 million fully guaranteed at signing. And as a practical matter the Panthers can move on after giving him $24 million over two years, because after that it essentially becomes a year-to-year contract.

It is essentially a two year deal (although we could not exercise his 2018 option but we would still be on the hook due to the guarantees) with 3-5 optional. It's still a risk if Kalil doesn't pan out, but not nearly as bad as it looks if you just look at it bare-bones. And if he does pan out, we have him on a relatively good deal for good OTs (not to mention the cap could continue to rise).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't care about the dead money if he doesn't work out. It's the fact that we'll have to watch our MVP QB continue to be wasted due to terrible protection from edge rushers.

Our interior OL is solid. Even RT is manageable as very few teams have a truly elite right tackle. But we've seen what happens when your left tackle doesn't hold his own.

Again, I don't hate the move despite overpaying him. We were desperate and had to sign someone. I would have preferred Andrew Whitworth considering what he got from the Rams, but I suppose Kalil does possess more upside out of all the available tackles in free agency... if he truly has his injury issues dealt with and is finally able to play to his potential.

Too big an 'if' for me, TBH, but under the circumstances we really had little choice in the matter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
TENINCH wrote:
Glad we didn't into a bidding war

Sounds like we did... and we lost... thank god.

Claim genius status like Elway in the Brock Osweiler saga.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: