Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Catch All Offseason Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Catch All Offseason Thread Reply with quote

So yet to be posted in this forum

Chandler Jones signed a 5 year extension after picking up the franchise tag. This hopefully lowers his cap number for this year a tad, plus it is keeping him in AZ long term so things are good. On top of him we have re-signed Josh Mauro and (waste of space) Jermaine Gresham

But the bad part is that it is looking like Calais will be getting 14M in either Denver or Jacksonville. And Tony Jefferson is going to be getting around 9M in Baltimore (But declined what sounds like 12M from Cleveland)

All reports point to bringing back Swearinger and Marcus Cooper. I'm hoping we still pick up another corner to leap frog Cooper. Cooper isn't a bad depth player, but as a starter he's pitiful.

#JDI
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was typing that we picked up Antoine Bethea. He's definitely on the wrong end of his career but maybe he can enjoy a revival in Tony Jefferson's spot

#JDI
Cards_FTW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campbell and Jefferson were far more likely to leave than re-sign. The rumored Jefferson numbers seem high(was thinking 6-7M AAV on a 6-7 year deal), Campbell numbers seem fine(figured 12-15M AAV 3-5 years). Don't know full structures of deals though so initial numbers aren't always true.

Made more sense to get Chandler done this offseason than next, in 5 years he will be 32. Nothing surprising about the contract, Vernon was the comparison.

Want to see the Gresham numbers, if 4/24 is true and he's got significant guaranteed money in the 3/4 years that is a terrible deal IMO. If its cut-able after 2 and somewhat back-loaded its fine. He's an average to below average #1 in-line TE, not a player we should be building around, more like a player we should be looking to upgrade.

Bethea, hopefully this leads to a Branch release, though I'm not sure which one's a better player. Don't see the need for both and with 3 years to Bethea he's not coming for peanuts. Shouldn't affect bringing back Swearinger though it might. Not high on Bethea but do think he can do an adequate job replacing Jefferson for a portion off the cost.

I'm fine with bringing back Cooper. I think he can play inside and out at corner and as a zone safety. Is he great? No, but he shouldn't be expensive either, he was about to be waived when we acquired him last year and I don't think he surprised anyone with his play for us. I don't know what the staff thinks of Williams/Miller at this point but I could see a Cooper signing leading to a Bethel release, saves $$ and having both seems somewhat redundant(like Branch/Bethea).

Shipley back for 2 is a good thing. Adequate player and reasonable term. Hopefully that isn't the only move on the interior of the O-line.

Slowly becoming a lot less confident in this regime over the last year. Bringing back Gresham and signing Bethea seem like Arians is overvaluing his favorites rather than the focus of talent, much like Whisenhunt.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Swearinger goes to Washington. I am LIVID that we let him walk. Absolutely livid. There is no reason we couldn't give him 4.5 per.

#JDI
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losing some young talent today at safety
Cards_FTW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
And Swearinger goes to Washington. I am LIVID that we let him walk. Absolutely livid. There is no reason we couldn't give him 4.5 per.

Yeah that's bad. Bethea probably got similar, Branch is slated to make similar. Should have been our top priority after Jones was franchised and Campbell turned us down.

What's next, a 5 year deal for Minter? Brick wall
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dansby is back for round 3. We got significantly older today

#JDI
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting older to get ready for the last stand. One last ride into the sunset.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I care about at this point is drafting a developing a QBOTF.

mike23md
Cards_FTW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Gresham deal is AWFUL. 7.25M cap-hit in 2018, 8.25 in 2019(can be cut for 3.5M dead cap). Being less this year(3.75) doesn't appear to do anything for us since we lost everyone important and signed a bunch of old guys. Either its 14.3 for 2 seasons or 21M for 3 seasons for a guy who is maybe a top-25 TE in the league, certainly not top-15.

Really rough offseason so far, only bright spots are Minter has(hopefully) been replaced(Dansby) and Jefferson will net us a 3rd round compensatory pick.

I'm actually shocked Ellington re-signed, of all our free agents aside from Jeffferson/Campbell I expected him the least likely to re-sign.
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

We're voting on Arizona's pick at 13 in the draft section. It would be great to have your thoughts and votes.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=587227

Thanks,

GFW
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
Hi guys

We're voting on Arizona's pick at 13 in the draft section. It would be great to have your thoughts and votes.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=587227

Thanks,

GFW

Run-off between Corey Davis and Pat Mahomes here:-

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=21431339#21431339

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: