You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Needs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maverick41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Draft Needs Reply with quote

Howdy.

In the process of preparing my mock drafts for the next six weeks. What would you say are the three or four most pressing needs for your team ranked in order of most to least?

Thanks!

bossvegas wrote:
to be fair some people just don't like traffic signs
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB
OLB/DE
WR
RT/C

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
dcfields

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the more I think the Ravens have to take an offensive lineman in the 1st round. In looking at mock drafts on the net, many don't have an offensive lineman going until Denver at #20. This provides the Ravens a great opportunity to trade down in the first, pick up an additional 3rd and still draft one of the top 3 tackles to fill the vacancy left by Wagner. If Alex Lewis slides over to RT, they can still fill his void by drafting Forrest Lamp. Lewis, Ramczyk, Bolles, Robinson or Lamp could compete for the LG/RT positions while the addition 3rd could be used on a center like Pocic or Elflein. Or possibly trade a 3rd or 4th for a veteran lineman. The OL talent pool becomes thin towards the end of the 2nd. And the Ravens don't have enough picks (or cap room) right now to fill all of the holes.
Danand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) DC
2) OL
3) CB
4) EDGE
5) WR
6) FS
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfields wrote:
If Alex Lewis slides over to RT, they can still fill his void by drafting Forrest Lamp. Lewis, Ramczyk, Bolles, Robinson or Lamp could compete for the LG/RT positions while the addition 3rd could be used on a center like Pocic or Elflein.

Bolles isn't competing at LG. He's definitely playing on the outside and more than likely at LT. His profile doesn't really fit what the Ravens supposedly want in a bigger, stronger offensive lineman. With him going to be 25 in a couple months I would be shocked if he's high on Baltimore's board.
Danand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
dcfields wrote:
If Alex Lewis slides over to RT, they can still fill his void by drafting Forrest Lamp. Lewis, Ramczyk, Bolles, Robinson or Lamp could compete for the LG/RT positions while the addition 3rd could be used on a center like Pocic or Elflein.

Bolles isn't competing at LG. He's definitely playing on the outside and more than likely at LT. His profile doesn't really fit what the Ravens supposedly want in a bigger, stronger offensive lineman. With him going to be 25 in a couple months I would be shocked if he's high on Baltimore's board.

We did pick Kaufusi last year, who will be a 26 year old rookie once training camp starts, so we are not afraid to pick "older" players.

The fit however, I believe you are spot on.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danand wrote:
We did pick Kaufusi last year, who will be a 26 year old rookie once training camp starts, so we are not afraid to pick "older" players.

The fit however, I believe you are spot on.

There's a big difference in taking a prospect that old in the first round and taking a prospect that old in the third round. Bolles probably will end up in the top 32 with this offensive line class but I wouldn't want my team to be the one that makes that decision.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfields wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think the Ravens have to take an offensive lineman in the 1st round.

The more I think about it, the more I think the pick has to be an edge rusher. The Ravens cannot survive on the fumes of whatever Suggs has left, and the rest of their guys are situational rushers, or guys who get coverage sacks. Drafting Suggs' replacement this year feels like a must, especially when there will hopefully be the likes of Charlton, Reddick, Watt and Harris available.

I just don't like any of this year's O-linemen as first round picks. I don't think you need to get Guards or Centers in the first round, and I think Right Tackles in the first round are generally wannabe Left Tackles who couldn't cut it. The Ravens claim that Nembot and Wesley have potential, but if they don't theneed the worst case scenario is Lewis or Yanda on the right, and a later round Guard taking their place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
dcfields wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think the Ravens have to take an offensive lineman in the 1st round.

The more I think about it, the more I think the pick has to be an edge rusher. The Ravens cannot survive on the fumes of whatever Suggs has left, and the rest of their guys are situational rushers, or guys who get coverage sacks. Drafting Suggs' replacement this year feels like a must, especially when there will hopefully be the likes of Charlton, Reddick, Watt and Harris available.

I just don't like any of this year's O-linemen as first round picks. I don't think you need to get Guards or Centers in the first round, and I think Right Tackles in the first round are generally wannabe Left Tackles who couldn't cut it. The Ravens claim that Nembot and Wesley have potential, but if they don't theneed the worst case scenario is Lewis or Yanda on the right, and a later round Guard taking their place.

And this is why we year after year talk about improving the oline.

We drafted af first round oline this year and then complained when he was injured and we had huge issues with protection and getting any push in the running game.
Oline is a position you very much draft in the first round, interior as well as tackles, and especially this year where we have wholes at both tackle and center.

I would somewhat rather have us take a chance on a boom/bust player like Tim Williams in the 3. round than having us draft a safer player in the 1. round.
paraven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danand wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
dcfields wrote:

We drafted af first round oline this year and then complained when he was injured and we had huge issues with protection and getting any push in the running game.
Oline is a position you very much draft in the first round, interior as well as tackles, and especially this year where we have wholes at both tackle and center.

I would somewhat rather have us take a chance on a boom/bust player like Tim Williams in the 3. round than having us draft a safer player in the 1. round.

There is so much youth on the o line right now, if the ravens are considering adding to the current depth, then I believe itl be a veteran stop gap (similar to the bobbie williams signing a few years back). Im thinking Lewis will be moved to RT, and then a veteran guard is signed closer to the season begins, if non of the young guys step up. I think thats much more likely then drafting an o lineman early.
Plus ravens have always had success with later round O linemen
Danand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paraven wrote:
Danand wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
dcfields wrote:

There is so much youth on the o line right now, if the ravens are considering adding to the current depth, then I believe itl be a veteran stop gap (similar to the bobbie williams signing a few years back). Im thinking Lewis will be moved to RT, and then a veteran guard is signed closer to the season begins, if non of the young guys step up. I think thats much more likely then drafting an o lineman early.

We are just as young on pass rush + we have had the same succes with them later in the draft. Kruger had 1,5 good season as a second round pick, much better than Kindle for instance. McPhee and Adalius Thomas were late round picks.

I am not opposed to the idea of an edge guy, I am just challenging your arguments why we should pick an edge guy above an oline.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danand wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
dcfields wrote:

I don't think recent evidence is at all conclusive that drafting interior linemen in the first round is a good idea. For every Zack Martin or Travis Frederick there is a Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper.

And some of the best interior linemen in the NFL were found in the middle rounds. Marshal Yanda, Kelechi Osemele, Trai Turner, Josh Sitton, T.J. Lang, Matt Paradis. All drafted in the 3rd to 6th rounds. So I really don't see the desperate need to take a Guard in the 1st. Not when there are other needs the Ravens are better placed to fill.

And I think taking a Right Tackle at 16 would be poor value, unless he's a guy you envisage sliding over to your left side, a couple of years down the line. The Ravens couldn't pay Wagner, so there's no chance they could ink Stanley to a second contract and then keep another first round O-line pick around.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danand wrote:
paraven wrote:
Danand wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
dcfields wrote:

We are just as young on pass rush + we have had the same succes with them later in the draft. Kruger had 1,5 good season as a second round pick, much better than Kindle for instance. McPhee and Adalius Thomas were late round picks.

I am not opposed to the idea of an edge guy, I am just challenging your arguments why we should pick an edge guy above an oline.

Im not high on any of the edge rushers I feel will be available at 16 either, thats why im on the WR/CB train with the first pick
Danand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
Danand wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
dcfields wrote:

I don't think recent evidence is at all conclusive that drafting interior linemen in the first round is a good idea. For every Zack Martin or Travis Frederick there is a Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper.

And some of the best interior linemen in the NFL were found in the middle rounds. Marshal Yanda, Kelechi Osemele, Trai Turner, Josh Sitton, T.J. Lang, Matt Paradis. All drafted in the 3rd to 6th rounds. So I really don't see the desperate need to take a Guard in the 1st. Not when there are other needs the Ravens are better placed to fill.

And I think taking a Right Tackle at 16 would be poor value, unless he's a guy you envisage sliding over to your left side, a couple of years down the line. The Ravens couldn't pay Wagner, so there's no chance they could ink Stanley to a second contract and then keep another first round O-line pick around.

The bolded part could be said about basically any position. It is proven you add your chances of landing a great player at whatever position, when you take them high in the draft.

We had Flacco play his best, when our oline performed well, while he had old Boldin to throw to, one-trick-ponies torrey smith and jacoby jones and a Dennis Pitta.

We saw how atlanta and Cowboys had great succes this year with excellent olines. Atlanta became relevant when they payed Alex Mack, a former 1. round pick to come in and solidify that oline. I don't see how people tend to neglect that.

And again, I can understand that we would go in another direction with our first and second round picks if there are better prospects available, but the "it is easier to find guards and centers and right tackles in round 3-6" shouldn't be an argument imo.
dcfields

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danand wrote:
...the "it is easier to find guards and centers and right tackles in round 3-6" shouldn't be an argument imo.

I couldn't agree with you more. If everyone in the league knew Yanda was going to play like a Hall of Fame guard, he would have been a top 10 pick instead of a 3rd rounder.

The Ravens have TWO holes on the OL. And as I stated in my original comment, they don't have enough picks or cap room at this juncture to fill ALL of the holes (C, RT, ILB, possession WR...).

Flacco, regardless of what he says, was hesitant to step into his throws last year. And he's not going to improve after losing two starting linemen. They have to be replaced with quality players. And since the Ravens have limited cap space, one of those linemen have to be taken in the draft. And again, the talent thins out around the end of the 2nd round/early 3rd at best.

And you guys are right... There is no Travis Frederick or Ryan Kelly in this draft. And "getting stronger" than Zuttah isn't going to be easy seeing as only one OL put up as many reps as Zuttah did at his combine (35). The Ravens need a better technician at center. It surprises me that Nick Mangold hasn't been more connected to the Ravens in the media. He would really solve a BIG problem.

I really don't like a lot of the pass rushers connected to the Ravens in the first round. Taco, Harris, Barnett... None of them "WOW" me. Reddick "WOWS" me but I project him inside. I realize Sizzle is at the end of his road. But I also think there is a better chance of getting production out of Sizzle, Za'Darius and Judon (who I think is going to be a real good player) than there is of getting production out of Ryan Jensen, De'Ondre Wesley and James Hurst.

We could argue that the Ravens don't have one playmaker on offense. Not at WR (still holding my breath on Perriman), RB or TE (Pitta's solid, not a playmaker). But if the Ravens don't improve their protection up front, picking Corey Davis, O.J. Howard, John Ross or Dalvin Cook won't change that.

Would Ezekiel Elliott have had the year he did behind any other line in the league? Would Mariotta be one of the best young QBs in the league without those bookend tackles (Lewan and Conklin)? Those tackles have helped the running game in Tennessee immensely as well (they make those two great backs look even better). Do you think the Ravens brought Joe D and Greg Roman in to improve the running game and subsequently NOT give them the personnel they need to make it happen?

It's not a "sexy pick" but the Ravens can trade down in the first, pick up another 3rd round pick and still get one of the 4 linemen with a first round grade to fill one of the voids.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: