Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Barry Church signs with Jaguars, 4 yrs 6M+ per
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Buzz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
Hopefully this means Solomon Thomas or Jonathan Allen at 4. Probably going to be Fournette though.

One of those three will be the pick.

Ryan O seems certain it's LF, and a randon NFL source he texted saying how this ends Adams/Hooker talk said "That RB from LSU", referring to him being our guy.

If we land Zeitler, Albert deal goes through, move Cann to natural LG spot...our run blocking should be pretty solid this year if things work out. Doesn't surprise me with what Blake has had to go through that we are going all in on the run game to take the pressure of and not make him continue to throw ridiculous amounts every game. Would rather find a guy later, but I think LF is a guy worth taking at the top of the 1st.

I just want to see us dictating games with the run again. Loved those days.

El Ramster on the sig
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gunshy to be excited about free agency now...even if Coughlin is calling the shots

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
iPwn wrote:
I like him as a player. Just wish we could get some guys in the secondary that can force turnovers. But he should be a sizable upgrade over what we've had, probably since Darius.

I'm with you here. Church seems to make some clutch plays when needed, but yeah he isn't going to be a guy causing turnovers everywhere.

This is the one reason although I'd be cool with Prince coming back, we really need to get a corner oppo Ramsey that can be a ballhawk/turnover machine. Bouye would be so ideal (although doesn't have a great tack record) or Gillmore (who isn't coming here...he hates Marrone after leaving BUF).

Yeah. Ideally, it would be nice to have a bit more of a "gamebreaker" there. But too often Cyp would end up being a gamebreaker in completely the wrong direction with missed tackles going for a big hit or getting embarrassed in coverage. So just having solid, reliable tackling there should be nice.

The other thing to consider with respect to generating turnovers...If we can actually get some coverage looks out of Church from time to time, there's potential for that to free Gipson up to poach a bit now and then. Which, he does have a bit of history of being able to generate a few turnovers. Frankly, seemed upset with the fact he wasn't able to do any real ballhawking last year (presumably in large part due to the limitations of the LBer masquerading as a Safety beside him). So here's hoping that's something that may help a tiny bit.
jagman777

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't do worse than cyprien. not ultra excited, seems like your average to above average safety.
.Buzz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who like PFF:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-50-nfl-free-agents-of-2017/?utm_content=buffer9d63a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

Calais Campbell comes in at #1, but more interestingly is their writeup on Barry Church at #27.

"Barry Church has been a solid player for the Cowboys, especially against the run, but 2016 marked a dramatic uptick in his performance in coverage. Some of that was cutting down on the number of missed tackles—halving his total from 2015 to 2016, in fact—but he also saw more action deeper in coverage, which played more to his strengths."

El Ramster on the sig
DuvalsKing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
Hopefully this means Solomon Thomas or Jonathan Allen at 4. Probably going to be Fournette though.

I don't know why you guys are still on the Allen bandwagon after a subpar combine + shoulder injuries as a number 4 overall pick.
2016:Jalen Ramsey - Jalen Ramsey
2017:Solomon Thomas - Leonard Fournette
VLoo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially 4 years, 26m. I haven't seen guarantees yet.

Cyp got 4/25 hahahaha.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Barry Church's 4-year deal with #Jaguars is worth $21.6 m with $12m fully guaranteed. Earns $7.5m in year 1.

^^el ramster^^
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
Quote:
Barry Church's 4-year deal with #Jaguars is worth $21.6 m with $12m fully guaranteed. Earns $7.5m in year 1.
He...got less than Cyp?

Live like you're down 3-1
VLoo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:
Quote:
He...got less than Cyp?

That is a great, great deal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great deal, but I'm not too excited about it. I expect the SS spot to be a weak spot going into the season.

DarthDavis wrote:
I tell you I respect the Jags forum nothing but classy posters. They got a good group over there.
DuvalsKing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jags wrote:
Great deal, but I'm not too excited about it. I expect the SS spot to be a weak spot going into the season.

It's an upgrade very rarely in the NFL are you going to be elite at every position sometimes you just need solid players that know football. Church is one of those guys he tackles well he is athletic and he plays smart. He is a leader he'll get the back end lined up correctly their won't be many big plays given up again this year and he creates turnovers he is an aggressive stripper of the ball. Church played in a defense that didn't have near as much talent as this team has. He sparked the movement in Dallas and they improved and played better once they were all fairly healthy last year.

I think Tom wants a more mature team he has elite leadership at every position group now. Campbell is going to get Malik going next year, he is going show Yannick, and Dante how to prepare, watch video, and take care of their bodies and they'll grow. Poz has been a leader for us for years I think Tom probably feels like he is the only hold over who has earned the right to be here the linebackers are always prepared. Church is going to help Jalen advance further and AJ can feed off him as well this team has lacked leadership. You can't have a bunch of young guys following a bunch of guys who haven't won anything in their lives the old leadership was Roy Miller, Marks, and Odrick. Love em not Odrick so much but they have never been no where before they got here. You can't show someone how to get to a place where they've never been themselves. Campbell's had deep playoff runs and played in a SB.. Malik's won a SB, Church has had playoff runs. The leadership is going to help this team speed up the process.
2016:Jalen Ramsey - Jalen Ramsey
2017:Solomon Thomas - Leonard Fournette

Last edited by DuvalsKing on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuvalsKing wrote:
Jags wrote:

It's an upgrade very rarely in the NFL are you going to be elite at every position sometimes you just need solid players that know football. Church is one of those guys he tackles well he is athletic and he plays smart. He is a leader he'll get the back end lined up correctly their won't be many big plays given up again this year and he creates turnovers he is an aggressive stripper of the ball. Church played in a defense that didn't have near as much talent as this team has. He sparked the movement in Dallas and they improved and played better once they were all fairly healthy last year.

I think Tom once a more mature team he has elite leadership at every position group now. Campbell is going to get Malik going next year, he is going show Yannick, and Dante how to prepare, watch video, and take care of their bodies and they'll grow. Poz has been a leader for us for years I think Tom probably feels like he is the only hold over who has earned the right to be here the linebackers are always prepared. Church is going to help Jalen advance further and AJ can feed off him as well this team has lacked leadership. You can't have a bunch of young guys following a bunch of guys who haven't won anything in their lives the old leadership was Roy Miller, Marks, and Odrick. Love em not Odrick so much but they have never been no where before they got here. You can't show someone how to get to a place where they've never been themselves. Campbell's had deep playoff runs and played in a SB.. Malik's won a SB, Church has had playoff runs. The leadership is going to help this team speed up the process.

Yeah. You're not likely to have elite gamebreakers at every spot on the field. And i think when you're going to have weaker spots, SS is one where just "capable" can often be enough. It's a spot where, as we saw with Cyp...you can do a fair bit of schemed insulation for a guy who isn't a star. Hopefully with Church, we don't even have to do that much scheming him out of situations. Hopefully he can be "good enough", if the pieces around him actually come together to make an impact.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
Quote:

Less than 6M a year is a great deal!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: