Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Im very confused on what our plan with Kirk Cousins is!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do we need a 5th Kirk Cousins thread?

Oh! This is why!

Check out this video on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/U6_J7rqbLRc

2017-18 Cousins Hype video. I love how he ended the video with the high 5 and hug by Dan & Kirk. Hopefully that comes soon again if they get Kirk on a long term deal.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen is now hyping that "we have an option" on Cousins in 2018. Does that sound like he's trying to sign him to a LTD ? Twisted Evil
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Allen is now hyping that "we have an option" on Cousins in 2018. Does that sound like he's trying to sign him to a LTD ? Twisted Evil

Nope. Gonna go out on a limb here and say that its 80/20 right now that Cousins never signs a LTD with Redskins

As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl
Slateman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Nope. Gonna go out on a limb here and say that its 80/20 right now that Cousins never signs a LTD with Redskins

Lol, I mean, What's a long term deal at this point? They franchise him again and its basically been a three year, worth 75 million.
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Lol, I mean, What's a long term deal at this point? They franchise him again and its basically been a three year, worth 75 million.

Doubt Ive heard anything sound more Redskins in a good while.

Trinidad: Where a man is born a man. Not a PC wimp.. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Don't forget that it:
A) would be fully guaranteed, and
B) has led to WAY larger cap hits than any competently designed deal would have.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Slateman wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Don't forget that it:
B) has led to WAY larger cap hits than any competently designed deal would have.
In hindsight yes. But I don't think making Cousins play on the tag last year was a mistake. If he had a Nick Foles type collapse and we were stuck on him with a long term it would have been a disaster. Tagging him last year was the right move at the time, signing him to a long term extension this year is the right move.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Woz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Slateman wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Don't forget that it:
In hindsight yes. But I don't think making Cousins play on the tag last year was a mistake. If he had a Nick Foles type collapse and we were stuck on him with a long term it would have been a disaster. Tagging him last year was the right move at the time, signing him to a long term extension this year is the right move.

Eh, I think signing him long term last year could have worked easily. The contract could have been designed to handle it a la Kaepernick or Taylor, even if he had a Foles-like collapse. By waiting, the price tag went up and up.

Also, the concern is that both last year and this year, the Redskins seem to be offering deals to Kirk that are about $4M AAV under market. What they offered this year is what they should have offered last year. So, the question is: are the Redskins negotiating in good faith? So far, from what has been reported, it doesn't seem like they are. If that's the case, then there will never be a long term deal. So, Kirk's exit becomes a matter of when and not if.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Slateman wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Don't forget that it:

Eh, I think signing him long term last year could have worked easily. The contract could have been designed to handle it a la Kaepernick or Taylor, even if he had a Foles-like collapse. By waiting, the price tag went up and up.

Also, the concern is that both last year and this year, the Redskins seem to be offering deals to Kirk that are about $4M AAV under market. What they offered this year is what they should have offered last year. So, the question is: are the Redskins negotiating in good faith? So far, from what has been reported, it doesn't seem like they are. If that's the case, then there will never be a long term deal. So, Kirk's exit becomes a matter of when and not if.
Exactly, not could have signed him to a contract that had so much guaranteed but we would have been able to get out of it after a year or 2 like Dalton and Kap signed. If we had done that, Basically, he could have had to earn his contract every year.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Slateman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Slateman wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Don't forget that it:

I think that when Cousins' agent offered 3 years, 19 million, the Skins should have taken that deal and run. Even if he busted, it's only three years. Year 1 was exactly what you paid on the franchise tag. That leaves two years to draft and groom a replacement.

Terrible decision. Awful. McCloughan knew it was a great deal but Allen and Snyder weren't able to swallow their pride.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Slateman wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Don't forget that it:

I think that when Cousins' agent offered 3 years, 19 million, the Skins should have taken that deal and run. Even if he busted, it's only three years. Year 1 was exactly what you paid on the franchise tag. That leaves two years to draft and groom a replacement.

Terrible decision. Awful. McCloughan knew it was a great deal but Allen and Snyder weren't able to swallow their pride.
When was that deal offered in 2015 during or before the season? The problem with extending Cousins at that time was we didn't know at all that he was going to be the answer or even a reliable back up. We literally had no clue if we wanted him or RG3 on the roster after that 2015 season going into the 2015 season. I don't blame that at all for making Cousins prove it in 2015, but after he did prove it in 2015 I think they were pretty foolish for franchising him last offseason and having him play the entire season on the tag. Cousins is not going to get cheaper, and if we continue to wait to give him a long term market value deal for a top 10 qb, it's going to get more expensive e and more expensive after each of Cousins's seasons.

If they don't get a long term deal done this offseason, I question if Kirk will be here long term. I don't see them franchising him for $34 million next offseason. They could transition tag him for $28 million and then choose to match or not match whatever offers he gets but that's also a huge cap number.

turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSN Mid-Atlantic - Peter King, Ian Rapoport say Redskins can't afford to let Kirk Cousins get away

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/peter-king-ian-rapoport-say-redskins-cant-afford-let-kirk-cousins-get-away

Woz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Slateman wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Don't forget that it:

When was that deal offered in 2015 during or before the season?

It had to be before the season since they couldn't negotiate a new deal after July 15th.

Quote:
The problem with extending Cousins at that time was we didn't know at all that he was going to be the answer or even a reliable back up.

Neither did the Bills with Taylor, Bengals with Dalton, or the 49ers with Kaepernick. The Bears don't know what if anything Glennon will do for them.

All of those teams signed those guys to long term deals to see what they had.

Quote:
We literally had no clue if we wanted him or RG3 on the roster after that 2015 season going into the 2015 season.

Don't think that's accurate. Even prior to the 2015 season, there were LOTS of debate about whether they should have picked up Griffin's 5th year option. I thought it was the right call because it gave you a hedge in case he was good, but I recognized that it may have been too late for Griffin in DC because the relationship soured.

Huh ... that sounds oddly familiar ... Think

Quote:
I don't blame that at all for making Cousins prove it in 2015, but after he did prove it in 2015 I think they were pretty foolish for franchising him last offseason and having him play the entire season on the tag.

Well, since 2015 was his first full starting year, 2016 was his "prove it" year. While I would have tried to be more aggressive in signing him in the 2016 offseason, I can understand letting him play under the tag.

The caveat to that is that if he played was well as he did in 2015 (and he did), then I would pony up some serious coin and pay him at market rate (which they are not). It's all a fit of pique on Snyder's part due to the Giants game, which ignores the number of games the defense failed at.

Quote:
Cousins is not going to get cheaper, and if we continue to wait to give him a long term market value deal for a top 10 qb, it's going to get more expensive e and more expensive after each of Cousins's seasons.

I know that Rodgers is talking about a new deal, as is Stafford. So, yes, you are correct, the price isn't going down.

Quote:
If they don't get a long term deal done this offseason, I question if Kirk will be here long term.

I wouldn't question it. I would assume it to be stone cold fact.

Quote:
I don't see them franchising him for $34 million next offseason. They could transition tag him for $28 million and then choose to match or not match whatever offers he gets but that's also a huge cap number.

Eh, he could do that, or he could just sign the tag and complete either a 3y/$78M or 3y/$72M contract that is fully guaranteed.

I suspect that the NFLPA will fight to add two clauses to the tags in the next renegotiation:
1. You can only get tagged three times. Period.
2. You cannot get tagged with a transition tag if you have previously been tagged with a franchise tag.
Woz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
CSN Mid-Atlantic - Peter King, Ian Rapoport say Redskins can't afford to let Kirk Cousins get away

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/peter-king-ian-rapoport-say-redskins-cant-afford-let-kirk-cousins-get-away

From the bottom of the article:

""Really good quarterbacks never leave their team. It just never happens," [Ian Rappaport] said. "So I would think there's a way to work this out.""

Drew Brees would beg to differ.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

From the bottom of the article:

""Really good quarterbacks never leave their team. It just never happens," [Ian Rappaport] said. "So I would think there's a way to work this out.""

Drew Brees would beg to differ.
He had an injury that literally brought to question whether he could ever play again though. New Orleans took a huge gamble on his health and won big.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: