Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What I took from FA Day 1
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
It wasnt only him though. It was Fox bragging about how much money they had to spend. It was also Ted Phillips in the letter to fans after they raised ticket prices. Seems like the organization was in lock step with the optimism and it all came crashing down really quick. Honestly it's almost a little hard to believe that they heard absolutely nothing from these reps in the previous few months that they didnt share the same view.

They weren't bragging they just said they would be active in free agency and by all accounts they have been. Just because they didn't sign the marquee top FAs doesn't mean they haven't been active and spending money.

People are just disappointed because the Bears didn't sign any of the flashy top name FA's that they wanted.

No Fox was bragging. The rest of your statement has nothing to do with what I was talking about. Clearly their recruitment method didnt work. I dont know how that's up in the air for argument.

^^ props to LBC on the sig Smile
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I learned:

Pace really is trying to build through the draft. He has stressed this himself. Some of you guys are throwing ranting about failures and misses, but the fact that Pace aggressively stuck to his guns regarding not overpaying shows that he's willing to either succeed or fail doing things the right way.

This isn't the Lovie Bears that were always close, and perhaps a big free agent would put them over the top, like Peppers almost did in 2010. This is a start-from-scratch team.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was a better day.

I think he stayed true to the idea of signing guys who have upside and may get extended by the Bears. Both Wright and Cooper have more talent than they have shown.

We could have used a difference making talent, and to not lose our best offensive weapon, but the bleeding has stopped at some positions.
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
What I learned:

Pace really is trying to build through the draft. He has stressed this himself. Some of you guys are throwing ranting about failures and misses, but the fact that Pace aggressively stuck to his guns regarding not overpaying shows that he's willing to either succeed or fail doing things the right way.

This isn't the Lovie Bears that were always close, and perhaps a big free agent would put them over the top, like Peppers almost did in 2010. This is a start-from-scratch team.

You keep saying that but what about all the use-it-or-lose-it money that we need to use before anything gets rolled over into next year? In previous years, you needed to spend 89% of your total cap room. Are we more comfortable with spending all our money on the Prince Amukamara's and Markus Wheaton's of the world?

Avoiding overpaying the big name guys, just puts us in a position where at the end of the day we still have to overpay, we are just overpaying for a larger number of guys who aren't as talented.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to spend 89% over any one year. You have to spend a certain amount over 5 year windows, which the Bears have never been close to violating.

I wanted a big fish. They failed to land one.

But I have liked a number of the signings since, because I see a chance for some of them to be long terms answers at positions. Many won't be more than the mod their guys they are now; but more guys=more chances to find Akiem Hicks.

I could see Marcus Cooper or Dion Sims having a Akiem Hicks like break out with more consistent playing time.

Kendall Wright was a 1st round pick who has fallen off, but he has a ton of talent and maybe more targets means a return to a 1000 yard guy.
gah112

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bears sustained a bunch of injuries last season and were forced to play some non-NFL players because they lacked quality depth. It seems like Pace is using free agency to build a deep team, albeit one without top-level stars.

He seems to target the guys with top potential in round 1 of the draft, so I'd look for our splash player there - maybe Thomas, Hooker, or Lattimore.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
What I learned:

You keep saying that but what about all the use-it-or-lose-it money that we need to use before anything gets rolled over into next year? In previous years, you needed to spend 89% of your total cap room. Are we more comfortable with spending all our money on the Prince Amukamara's and Markus Wheaton's of the world?

Avoiding overpaying the big name guys, just puts us in a position where at the end of the day we still have to overpay, we are just overpaying for a larger number of guys who aren't as talented.

Then I guess they either lose that money, or they'll look to lock up guys who are already in-house.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They missed on the top talent, that is a failure.

But at least now they have ensured that we don't have to play guys off the street at a position like CB.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Green Bay must be perpetual failures then, eh?
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
What I learned:

Then I guess they either lose that money, or they'll look to lock up guys who are already in-house.

Outside of Akiem Hicks, who is worth locking up
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
What I learned:

Outside of Akiem Hicks, who is worth locking up

They'd be well served IMO to give Cam Meredith a bump. Nothing crazy, but if they seeing him having a similar or bigger stat line to last year then they'd do well to have already given him new paper. I'm talking like 4/$15Mish. A Hicks extension should be pretty sizeable though. Wouldn't surprise me to see him get 4 years at $10M per. He was REALLY good last year and the DL market is absurd.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Green Bay must be perpetual failures then, eh?

They have drafted well for 20 years and have a franchise QB.

They also have been heavily criticized for not using free agency to have more success in Rodgers prime.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: