Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions sign TE Fells
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
FWIW PFF rated him #3 in pass pro and #17 in run blocking amongst TEs last year, so this is more likely not about the running game.
also FWIW I doubt the Lions are reading what PFF says
OK...
So you believe they got him for run blocking?
I believe they got him for his run blocking, pass blocking, receiving skills, and experience. So...yes?

OK. I don't believe they would get a TE for all those things for the simple fact I can't think of a single TE in the NFL good at all those things. Usually I believe teams get a player for their strengths and play to them rather than to try to fit a square peg in a round hole. But I respect your opinion.
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
FWIW PFF rated him #3 in pass pro and #17 in run blocking amongst TEs last year, so this is more likely not about the running game.
OK...
I believe they got him for his run blocking, pass blocking, receiving skills, and experience. So...yes?

OK. I don't believe they would get a TE for all those things for the simple fact I can't think of a single TE in the NFL good at all those things. Usually I believe teams get a player for their strengths and play to them rather than to try to fit a square peg in a round hole. But I respect your opinion.
I see Fells as that great blocking TE thats a big target in the redzone.

Yes we got him mainly for his blocking and I don't expect anything great in the receiving area but I think he will be utilized.
Ice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems Quinn has a plan in place and this is just another aspect of that. He started reworking the offensive line last year and this FA is a continuation of that. Wagner and Fells are both going to be a great help to the running game. If we don't sign a guard I would expect the Lions to add someone in the draft to compete with Dahl and Tomlinson. It wouldn't surprise me to see them draft a TE in the mid rounds in case this is Ebron's last season here.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
OK...

So you believe he's a bad run blocker? Because PFF says he's the 17th best run blocking TE in the NFL? Do you understand the unlikelyhood that they signed him to only use him in pass protection, especially when considering that's a role he's never played in his career, that's a role no tight end plays, and that's not a role that exists in this offense?

They signed him because he can block the run well, he isn't a complete liability in pass protection like most tight ends, he can make some level of contribution as a receiver (unlike the other "blocking tight ends" they have brought in before), and also because he is an experienced player. I don't get why you just look at PFF and pretend like their opinion is fact or why you even bother looking to them at all. Those guys don't know a thing about how to evaluate a player properly, so why be a slave to their ideas?

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have rather had Anthony Fasano tbh.

I have mono you [inappropriate/removed]
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
OK...

So you believe he's a bad run blocker? Because PFF says he's the 17th best run blocking TE in the NFL? Do you understand the unlikelyhood that they signed him to only use him in pass protection, especially when considering that's a role he's never played in his career, that's a role no tight end plays, and that's not a role that exists in this offense?

They signed him because he can block the run well, he isn't a complete liability in pass protection like most tight ends, he can make some level of contribution as a receiver (unlike the other "blocking tight ends" they have brought in before), and also because he is an experienced player. I don't get why you just look at PFF and pretend like their opinion is fact or why you even bother looking to them at all. Those guys don't know a thing about how to evaluate a player properly, so why be a slave to their ideas?

You talk like you truly think YOU know a thing about evaluating a football player properly.

FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
OK...

I would never suggest he would not be utilized in other capacities on the field. If he is on the field, then he must do whatever needs to be done in his position at any given time. Including receiving and many unmeasured variables. The comment was made that someone felt we got him FOR his run blocking. I simply stated I don't believe that was WHY we got him. I believe teams get players for their strengths. His strength is pass blocking IMO. If you want to argue that point, argue until you are blue, I will not change my mind.

This type of nitpicking is precisely why I never post. Everything is misunderstood. In this world one of our greatest problems is that we listen to respond, not to understand.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
OK...

You talk like you truly think YOU know a thing about evaluating a football player properly.

As in everything in life, we can only use information that is available. Anything else is abstract, opinion means little. That is why I began my post with FWIW. I know it only means so much, not sure why everyone decided I was reading it as the bible. Quite disconcerting.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
OK...

I do know a little bit about it, but I haven't watched Fells. Instead I'm going off of the opinion of someone that actually does know what they're talking about when it comes to Cardinals players.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
OK...

I would never suggest he would not be utilized in other capacities on the field. If he is on the field, then he must do whatever needs to be done in his position at any given time. Including receiving and many unmeasured variables. The comment was made that someone felt we got him FOR his run blocking. I simply stated I don't believe that was WHY we got him. I believe teams get players for their strengths. His strength is pass blocking IMO. If you want to argue that point, argue until you are blue, I will not change my mind.

This type of nitpicking is precisely why I never post. Everything is misunderstood. In this world one of our greatest problems is that we listen to respond, not to understand.
The irony of the bolded is fantastic.

Nobody is nitpicking you, just trying to understand what you're saying and why you're saying it. You seem to think he can't run block (because PFF says so) and shouldn't be used as a run blocker, otherwise he would be square peg in a round hole. Or is that not what you just said?

- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
OK...

As in everything in life, we can only use information that is available. Anything else is abstract, opinion means little. That is why I began my post with FWIW. I know it only means so much, not sure why everyone decided I was reading it as the bible. Quite disconcerting.
Mostly because you're so dismissive of any other view and refuse to even consider changing your mind.

- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
OK...

I do know a little bit about it, but I haven't watched Fells. Instead I'm going off of the opinion of someone that actually does know what they're talking about when it comes to Cardinals players.

You know a little bit, but the ones that make a living doing what they do know nothing. NBC, Cris Collinsworth, and several other news/media circuits pay $250 a month for their grading systems and share it. There are people that's job is football that take it seriously... but we have a forum scout that thinks they don't know a thing about evaluating a player properly.

You should create your own website and grading system! You could get rich.

FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
OK...

The irony of the bolded is fantastic.

Nobody is nitpicking you, just trying to understand what you're saying and why you're saying it. You seem to think he can't run block (because PFF says so) and shouldn't be used as a run blocker, otherwise he would be square peg in a round hole. Or is that not what you just said?

If you are listening to understand, there is no irony whatsoever.

Please point out where I said he is no good at run blocking. Or that I believed that because PFF was 100% to be trusted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: