Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Addae Resigned. 4yr $22m

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Addae Resigned. 4yr $22m Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers re-signed SS Jahleel Addae to a four-year, $22 million contract.
it contains $8 million guaranteed. Addae, 27, missed more than half of last season with a broken collarbone, but returned late in the year and provided a big boost to the Bolts' defense, showing well both in pass coverage and against the run. The Chargers have a promising secondary with Addae and starting CBs Casey Hayward and Jason Verrett coming back from a torn ACL.

Way more than I would have expected. That pretty much locks him in as the starter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why tho

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
why tho

Bradley must see Addae as his Kam Chancellor.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
why tho

Or Bradley has less say that we'd like to believe.

This FO has always had a Jones for Addae. And frankly, we all know that Telesco just plain doesn't seem to value the safety position or feel like the team needs to have great safeties - average-to-mediocre at the position is perfectly fine in his book.

Which is kind of fine, but it means you have to have one hell of a front-7 to wipe out the need for your safeties to be good in order to CYA.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
why tho

Or Bradley has less say that we'd like to believe.

This FO has always had a Jones for Addae. And frankly, we all know that Telesco just plain doesn't seem to value the safety position or feel like the team needs to have great safeties - average-to-mediocre at the position is perfectly fine in his book.

Which is kind of fine, but it means you have to have one hell of a front-7 to wipe out the need for your safeties to be good in order to CYA.

I feel though if Telesco truly felt that way, he wouldn't have made Gus Bradley the DC. Making a guy like Gus Bradley, A DC, Means that they want his input on building the defense because he found Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor in the later rounds. He got thomas in rd 1. Hooker is an Earl Thomas Clone except when it comes to tackling, and I bet you Bradley will implore Telesco to take his advice and give him the once piece of building a defense everyone will fear in years to come. I bet you Gus Bradley is going to be intregal in the draft process. Bringing in him, is a sign of change.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. It better be an easy deal to cut after two years cause Addae sucks.
Neutral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:

I actually like Addae in that role, and he's already shown that's he versatile enough to play in a Cover-3. Those numbers, though... I was worried that they were going to give that much to Cyprien, and saw Addae as an equal (or better) option for less, so this is tough to gauge...
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing Addae rules out Adams. It does not rule out Hooker
kramxel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not happy about this.
He's a backup or fringe starter at best, and on top of that his style of play makes him a constant threat for being put on IR.

This means we won't go safety early in the draft and won't make a FA splash signing. I'm expecting a late round pick and no more.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:

Adams is capable of playing either safety spot.

But I'd contend this rules out both with #7. TT typically doesn't address the position he's planning on using his 1st on in FA at all (including re-signing of our own guys there).

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
DingoLadd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean it's an overpay but I think he can be a solid starter, still better than the okung deal either way.

Long live Phillip Rivers and his constant carrying of this god awful team.

Also go (South Carolina) Charleston Dingoes. Looking for a co-owner for a fantasy team so PM me please.
Neutral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:

Adams is capable of playing either safety spot.

But I'd contend this rules out both with #7. TT typically doesn't address the position he's planning on using his 1st on in FA at all (including re-signing of our own guys there).

If we don't take a safety, then what? CB?

You can pencil us in for a guard at #38 (realistically, #34 after our annual trade-up). But I'd have a hard time figuring a good fit at #7 if it's not Adams or Hooker.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Addae so much. Liability and the way the front office markets him as Hitman #37.

There will always be only one Hitman #37. Screw you Spanos.
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Colts released PRob... Would be nice if TT & Co. could land him as our #3 CB, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he was picked up by another team as a starter. He played well here back in '15, and would be good insurance for Verrett in addition to playing Nickel.

Would also give us some flexibility-if we were playing K.C. for example and Tyreke Hill was in the Slot, we could move Verrett into the slot and play PRob on the outside, etc.

I don't mind the Okung deal at all, Free Agency always results in guys getting inflated deals (the Cap keeps going up), and TBH I would have preferred to sign Okung than potentially draft Ramczyk or Bolles in the top 10 (#7).

Addae was slighty overpaid, I would have preferred us to go after TJ McDonald (who is still a Free Agent iirc), but the Bolts seem to like to reward "in house" players (i.e. Butler, Liuget, Barksdale, etc.)

With Hooker being more or less a "one year wonder" I don't know if he would be considered at 7 if available. He seems to have the highest ceiling, but Adams and Baker (trade down, or select at top of Rd. 2 if available) have the production that Telesco seems to value in a first round pick. Desmond King (CB/FS) seems like another Telesco pick, lots of experience/production at a high level in addition to being a tough/physical/zone oriented DB (Brandon Flowers 2.0)
Neutral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highboltage55 wrote:
I don't mind the Okung deal at all, Free Agency always results in guys getting inflated deals (the Cap keeps going up), and TBH I would have preferred to sign Okung than potentially draft Ramczyk or Bolles in the top 10 (#7).

What the Okung signing tells me is that the FO/coaching staff had lost faith in Dunlap. The concussions and nagging injuries have always been an issue, but at least we could fall back on knowing that he was an above-average LT when healthy. Last year he was often a liability, and a big reason why the O-Line remained a problem.

I agree with you that I'd prefer Okung over drafting Ramczyk or Bolles with #7. And with several teams in the market for a LT, we can't expect one to fall out of the first round. It seems like if we needed a starter in 2017, it had to come in free agency. Considering the other contracts handed out, it's not that crazy a deal:

Riley Reiff got $11.75M/yr from the Vikings to move back to left tackle.

Matt Kalil got $11.1M/yr from the Panthers, who I think are the only team that could justify giving him that much. They're betting that a change of scenery and getting to play with his brother will be the catalyst that gets him to return to form.

Luke Joeckel and Kelvin Beachum got $8M/yr and I expect both teams will be back in the market for a left tackle next year.

Even Whitworth is a risk due to his age.

Quote:
Addae was slighty overpaid, I would have preferred us to go after TJ McDonald (who is still a Free Agent iirc), but the Bolts seem to like to reward "in house" players (i.e. Butler, Liuget, Barksdale, etc.)

For comparison, Cyprien ended up getting more. From the Titans board:

titans0021 wrote:
Quote:
Former #Jaguars safety Johnathan Cyprien's deal with #Titans is 4 years, $25 million with $7M in the first year.

I'd rather have Addae. TJ McDonald has DUI issues, so I doubt he was even on our radar.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: