FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We are transitioning to a new forum software platform. Your current password will not work after August 12th. Update the email in your profile so you are not locked out. Click here for more information.

My offseason plan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DR43

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: My offseason plan Reply with quote

Big Ben’s days as our star QB look to be numbered. With that in mind, I think our best bet is to do what we can to win with the time that’s left with him as our starting QB. If I were GM, I would perform the following actions in this offseason. This is not a prediction but what I would do.

Release William Gay. I have been a big William Gay fan over the years but he no doubt tailed off at the second half. I would keep him if he could still play but it doesn’t look like he can. At 32, this really shouldn’t be a surprise. Releasing him should save about $1.2 million in cap space.

Resign Timmons. Timmons no doubt deserves a contract extension after last year. Some might be reluctant since he has been in the league for a decade but my goal is the short term. Over pay for him if you have to.

Restructure contracts. I would approach someone like Cam Hayward, Maurkice Pouncey, and/or Marcus Gilbert and restructure contracts because without it we’re not going to fulfill my next point…

Sign multiple corners. There is one big team we need to defeat in order to make the Super Bowl and we all know who that is. In order to get past them we’re going to have to go a man to man defense. This will require more CBs. With the release of Justin Gilbert, the possible release of William Gay, and the injuries to Senquez Golson, we’re in dire need of CBs. We’re going to resign Ross Cockrell – that’s a given. But we’re certainly going to need more than that. I’m not sure if Morris Claiborne, Dre Kirkpatrick, Logan Ryan, and Trumaine Johnson are great cover corners but if so, they would all be guys who I would consider.

Draft the best OLB, CB, WR, or TE available in each round. Perhaps, I would consider a QB if one fell to us but would be reluctant as this might expedite Ben’s retirement.

Sign Backup QB/RB. With the Constant injuries to Bell and Ben, we’re going to need a capable backup at each position.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My offseason plan Reply with quote

DR43 wrote:
Release William Gay. I have been a big William Gay fan over the years but he no doubt tailed off at the second half. I would keep him if he could still play but it doesn’t look like he can. At 32, this really shouldn’t be a surprise. Releasing him should save about $1.2 million in cap space.

$1.2 mil is dirt cheap. Gay may not be great and struggled at the end of last year, but he is at worst, solid depth and I wouldnt cut him unless someone beat him out. We dont have many options at CB.

Quote:
Resign Timmons. Timmons no doubt deserves a contract extension after last year. Some might be reluctant since he has been in the league for a decade but my goal is the short term. Over pay for him if you have to.

I wouldnt mind resigning Timmons, but overpay him? Absolutely not. Yes, he played well last year, but he was horrid at times during the 2015 season. Thats the problem with Timmons....thats ALWAYS been the problem with Timmons. Not sure he has ever had two good years in a row, and now he is on the wrong side of 30.

You dont overpay players like that.

Quote:
Restructure contracts. I would approach someone like Cam Hayward, Maurkice Pouncey, and/or Marcus Gilbert and restructure contracts because without it we’re not going to fulfill my next point…

Pretty much a given a few contracts will be restructured.

Quote:
Sign multiple corners. There is one big team we need to defeat in order to make the Super Bowl and we all know who that is. In order to get past them we’re going to have to go a man to man defense. This will require more CBs. With the release of Justin Gilbert, the possible release of William Gay, and the injuries to Senquez Golson, we’re in dire need of CBs. We’re going to resign Ross Cockrell – that’s a given. But we’re certainly going to need more than that. I’m not sure if Morris Claiborne, Dre Kirkpatrick, Logan Ryan, and Trumaine Johnson are great cover corners but if so, they would all be guys who I would consider.

They tendered Cockrell for a low round tender....so its clear they dont value him much.

Morris Claiborne and Trumaine Johnson wont be hitting free agency.

EDIT: Belay my last on Claiborne....thought he signed a 3 year deal for some reason. Wouldnt mind taking a look at him.....but likely to get too much money.

Kirkpatrick and Ryan are likely to get overpaid.

IMO, we should sign Revis and draft a corner....and keep Gay.

Burns
Revis
Cockrell
Gay
Rookie
Golson or someone else if Golson gets hurt again.

Quote:
Draft the best OLB, CB, WR, or TE available in each round. Perhaps, I would consider a QB if one fell to us but would be reluctant as this might expedite Ben’s retirement.

Safety is a big need too.

I also think we should address WR in free agency, not the draft.

Quote:
Sign Backup QB/RB. With the Constant injuries to Bell and Ben, we’re going to need a capable backup at each position.

They will definitely do this.

We should keep DWill and roll with Bell, DWill and Karlos Williams. If Williams can keep his head on straight, thats the best depth at RB in the NFL.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My offseason plan Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

$1.2 mil is dirt cheap. Gay may not be great and struggled at the end of last year, but he is at worst, solid depth and I wouldnt cut him unless someone beat him out. We dont have many options at CB.

Ok. Let's keep Gay around another year.

FourThreeMafia wrote:

I wouldnt mind resigning Timmons, but overpay him? Absolutely not. Yes, he played well last year, but he was horrid at times during the 2015 season. Thats the problem with Timmons....thats ALWAYS been the problem with Timmons. Not sure he has ever had two good years in a row, and now he is on the wrong side of 30.

You dont overpay players like that.

Keep in mind my plan is solely short term. If he isn't going to be in at ILB then who will be? I'm willing to risk him underperforming in a few years in order to have him back next year. In a few years, we can be w/o a QB and have no chance at a SB run anyways.

Quote:

Pretty much a given a few contracts will be restructured.

You're darn tootin'.

Quote:

They tendered Cockrell for a low round tender....so its clear they dont value him much.

I didn't hear that. Doesn't make sense to me. I thought he played well enough to be brought back.

Quote:
Morris Claiborne and Trumaine Johnson wont be hitting free agency

Bummer.

Quote:

Kirkpatrick and Ryan are likely to get overpaid.

Then, let's be the one to overpay for them. We're in dire need of CBs and have NO chance against NE if we remain with the zone defense.

Quote:
IMO, we should sign Revis and draft a corner....and keep Gay.

Is Revis going to stay at CB?

Quote:

Burns
Revis
Cockrell
Gay
Rookie
Golson or someone else if Golson gets hurt again.

I don't see that stopping Brady and the gang.

Quote:

Safety is a big need too.

Yup. I forgot that.

Quote:
I also think we should address WR in free agency, not the draft.

Even if a WR is the best available?

Quote:

We should keep DWill and roll with Bell, DWill and Karlos Williams. If Williams can keep his head on straight, thats the best depth at RB in the NFL.

Sounds good to me.
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince Willams played outstanding at times last season. I would get a nickel linebacker for Williams on passing downs and roll without Timmons. I don't like having our starting ILBs being fragile and old, and both expensive...Timmons might want to sign for a discount...and I think the steelers will sign him. But I don't think I would.

Thanks Lyasr 529
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My offseason plan Reply with quote

DR43 wrote:

We apparently arent interested anyway, so there goes that.

Quote:

Personnel isnt the biggest issue vs the Brady Bunch...coaching/gameplanning is.

We play soft zone against them and arent aggressive going after Brady. And we never [inappropriate/removed] learn. Ever....for some reason. I guarantee you, even if we had the most elite talented secondary in the league, we would still get destroyed by Brady if we went in with the same gameplan as we have the majority of the Belichick/Brady era.

We arent going to spend a ton of money in FA on secondary, anyway, so we have to be realistic about it.

Our best chance IMO is to get a good CB next to Burns, improve our pass rush, and our offense clicks on all cylinders and keeps Brady off the field...and then obviously, our coaches have to try something different. If they go in with the same pathetic gameplan, it really doesnt matter who we have in the secondary.

We arent going to build an elite secondary in Ben's remaining years, but fortunately, we dont need to. Baltimore has stopped them in the past with a pretty average secondary....and the Texans D had success vs them with a DLine that harassed Brady.

Once again...IMO, the biggest issues with us vs the Pats are 1) gameplanning and 2) they are in our heads. Changing things up would throw them off....especially playing more physical in the secondary and attacking more. They keep leaning on this conservative garbage trying not to give up the big play, but where has it gotten us? Confused

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: My offseason plan Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
DR43 wrote:

We apparently arent interested anyway, so there goes that.

Quote:

We play soft zone against them and arent aggressive going after Brady. And we never [inappropriate/removed] learn. Ever....for some reason. I guarantee you, even if we had the most elite talented secondary in the league, we would still get destroyed by Brady if we went in with the same gameplan as we have the majority of the Belichick/Brady era.

We arent going to spend a ton of money in FA on secondary, anyway, so we have to be realistic about it.

Our best chance IMO is to get a good CB next to Burns, improve our pass rush, and our offense clicks on all cylinders and keeps Brady off the field...and then obviously, our coaches have to try something different. If they go in with the same pathetic gameplan, it really doesnt matter who we have in the secondary.

We arent going to build an elite secondary in Ben's remaining years, but fortunately, we dont need to. Baltimore has stopped them in the past with a pretty average secondary....and the Texans D had success vs them with a DLine that harassed Brady.

Once again...IMO, the biggest issues with us vs the Pats are 1) gameplanning and 2) they are in our heads. Changing things up would throw them off....especially playing more physical in the secondary and attacking more. They keep leaning on this conservative garbage trying not to give up the big play, but where has it gotten us? Confused

Indeed. If you watched some soundbites from the game, Belichick made an obvious distinction to his players that Bell was out and they needed to play DWill differently. He seemed somewhat concerned. Meaning, they practiced a certain way to defend Bell and that way wasn't going to be effective against DWill. No one prolly remembers this but I suggested prior to the game that the Pats would defend Bell differently. I felt they would hold the POA and wait for him to pick a hole. Then, and only then, shoot the gap. They executed that game plan perfectly prior to Bell getting hurt. Then changed their approach against DWill. If Haley would alternate his RBs and keep the opposition off balance I think it would be quite effective. Also, Bell needs to recognize this strategy and hit the hole fast until they alter the game plan. I expect other teams to try this approach next year. The Steelers are hard headed. They have a game plan and rarely stray from it no matter the results. It's been the culture since before Tomlin and it needs to change.
DR43

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My offseason plan Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

A zone defense is not going to stop Brady. We need to load up on CBs. That does NOT mean we need to sign the best CB we just need guys who could matchup against their receivers. Our current secondary is not going to do that.
3rivers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: My offseason plan Reply with quote

DR43 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

A zone defense is not going to stop Brady. We need to load up on CBs. That does NOT mean we need to sign the best CB we just need guys who could matchup against their receivers. Our current secondary is not going to do that.

this is why the need is (was? Idea ) to sign a good CB and then draft CB in RD1. Golson returning could make the secondary good for matching up and no longer playing zones and losing badly to the pats. Will this happen though?
DR43

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: My offseason plan Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
DR43 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

this is why the need is (was? Idea ) to sign a good CB and then draft CB in RD1. Golson returning could make the secondary good for matching up and no longer playing zones and losing badly to the pats. Will this happen though?

I cant imaging Golson can be in playing form when me missed his only two years in the league.

Burns will match up against Cooks. Shazier or Sean Davis up against Gronkowski. That leaves who against Julian Edelman? Who goes up against Dwayne Allen? How about Amendola or Hogan?
32houchen32

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: My offseason plan Reply with quote

DR43 wrote:
3rivers wrote:
DR43 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

I cant imaging Golson can be in playing form when me missed his only two years in the league.

Burns will match up against Cooks. Shazier or Sean Davis up against Gronkowski. That leaves who against Julian Edelman? Who goes up against Dwayne Allen? How about Amendola or Hogan?

Sounds like we're gonna rush three and play soft zones.... hopefully golson pulls a Sean spence on us.
3rivers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My offseason plan Reply with quote

DR43 wrote:
3rivers wrote:
DR43 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

this is why a CB in UFA was a need IMO, then a RD1 pick for CB. It doesn't seem that the FO cares , so why should we? Maybe they are going to keep the same philosophy and hope they don't face the pats , let someone else take care of that. Rolling Eyes
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My offseason plan Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
DR43 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

We were never going to sign a good CB and THEN draft another CB in the first round. Maybe one or the other, but not both. Too many other needs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My offseason plan Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
DR43 wrote:
3rivers wrote:
DR43 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

this is why a CB in UFA was a need IMO, then a RD1 pick for CB. It doesn't seem that the FO cares , so why should we? Maybe they are going to keep the same philosophy and hope they don't face the pats , let someone else take care of that. Rolling Eyes

Dear lord, the laughably spoiled nature of Steelers fans like you is unbearable sometimes.

Yeah, stop caring. Go cheer for Jacksonville. That way, you can be happy during the offseason watching them scoop up numerous big name FAs, and then be completely miserable by the middle of the regular season.

Steelers front office is far from perfect, but dear lord....you'd think we were the [inappropriate/removed] Browns the way some of you talk.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My offseason plan Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
3rivers wrote:
DR43 wrote:
3rivers wrote:
DR43 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Dear lord, the laughably spoiled nature of Steelers fans like you is unbearable sometimes.

Yeah, stop caring. Go cheer for Jacksonville. That way, you can be happy during the offseason watching them scoop up numerous big name FAs, and then be completely miserable by the middle of the regular season.

Steelers front office is far from perfect, but dear lord....you'd think we were the [inappropriate/removed] Browns the way some of you talk.

not sure if that is a compliment about the browns Rolling Eyes Imagine being a browns fan, they are in another domain aren't they along with washington.

I thought with cap space available, the FO would have tried to land a CB. If not , then we have to rely on a rookie if we draft one that can start. Then consider if injuries plague the CB's, to me it is a good idea to have many good cover CB's, maybe no top tier CB's , but good ones.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: