Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Aldon Smith reinstated
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holyghost

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FloydFan wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Personally, I feel for him and I think the NFL has a broken system with suspended players

They suspend these players. Put them on an island where most come from rough backgrounds and the people that hang on them drag them down.

Suspended players should be allowed around the team so they can be supported. There is a mental health issue with many of these guys and they don't get the help they need.

Telling you. NFL teams should have someone on staff to support mental health. To help these kids deal with fame, money, stress it causes, etc. And these suspended players should be able to have the support of their teammates AND the mental help professional.

We laugh, say he's a "special kind of stupid", but really it's a person who needs help, daily and there is no weakness in that.

With you 100%. Substance abuse is not a joking matter. It destroys families.

The individuals on here being judgemental or rash are likely young, and likely have no personal experience with it. That's all.

Alcoholism and abuse is not the slightest bit funny. And it sure as heck doesn't just magically go away with rehab or "getting it together". People love to think rehab or freedom from it is a matter of weeks or months, but reality is decades. Slow painful decades. If you're lucky to progress at all.

Mental help won't help him (yet), because all help processes ultimately boil down to platforms for helping yourself. The only way that comes is with rock bottom. And I mean stone hard rock bottom. Guys who come in the league as screwups then clean it up were probably just immature and loving the bully or power culture of their lives as sport stars. Or growing out of thuggish living. Someone like Smith has a real and genuine lasting problem. He can't just "clean it up" so to speak. It's deep rooted and real. The disorder is not booze or weed, it's self destruction and self sabotage. Inability to function and/or deal with anything. Self hatred too. If you notice two of the last 3 incidents came literally within days or weeks of being reinstated. That's the opposite of coincidence.

I wouldn't say I feel for him, because I do not know him and because there are millions of people in the world with these issues and others. But to pass it off blithely as "he's an idiot" or other snarky answers to it is arrogant and completely lacking understanding.
Speed_Wrench

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He knows he's done and you can tell in his tone of voice reality of the situation was starting to get the best of him. Sad to see this man self destruct.
drfrey13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
FloydFan wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Personally, I feel for him and I think the NFL has a broken system with suspended players

They suspend these players. Put them on an island where most come from rough backgrounds and the people that hang on them drag them down.

Suspended players should be allowed around the team so they can be supported. There is a mental health issue with many of these guys and they don't get the help they need.

Telling you. NFL teams should have someone on staff to support mental health. To help these kids deal with fame, money, stress it causes, etc. And these suspended players should be able to have the support of their teammates AND the mental help professional.

We laugh, say he's a "special kind of stupid", but really it's a person who needs help, daily and there is no weakness in that.

With you 100%. Substance abuse is not a joking matter. It destroys families.

The individuals on here being judgemental or rash are likely young, and likely have no personal experience with it. That's all.

Alcoholism and abuse is not the slightest bit funny. And it sure as heck doesn't just magically go away with rehab or "getting it together". People love to think rehab or freedom from it is a matter of weeks or months, but reality is decades. Slow painful decades. If you're lucky to progress at all.

Mental help won't help him (yet), because all help processes ultimately boil down to platforms for helping yourself. The only way that comes is with rock bottom. And I mean stone hard rock bottom. Guys who come in the league as screwups then clean it up were probably just immature and loving the bully or power culture of their lives as sport stars. Or growing out of thuggish living. Someone like Smith has a real and genuine lasting problem. He can't just "clean it up" so to speak. It's deep rooted and real. The disorder is not booze or weed, it's self destruction and self sabotage. Inability to function and/or deal with anything. Self hatred too. If you notice two of the last 3 incidents came literally within days or weeks of being reinstated. That's the opposite of coincidence.

I wouldn't say I feel for him, because I do not know him and because there are millions of people in the world with these issues and others. But to pass it off blithely as "he's an idiot" or other snarky answers to it is arrogant and completely lacking understanding.

I do agree it is not funny but we are fans of a team and most are just over it. I have dealt with similar people and some are open to help and others are not. The term he is an idiot stems from him being the later. He is not an idiot for his alcoholism or self destruction. He is an idiot because he has the choices in front of him knowing the consequences and still chooses the later. His choices are his responsibility but I do also see how the NFL makes the situation worse by restricting his access to those that could be a positive influence. Without them he has only surrounded himself with like minded people that care more about living the moments with him than thinking about how his future is going to play out. When he runs out of money these people will move on to the next person they can use. If he has not hit rock bottom already then there is no point in keeping him around and should be cut. Another major incident and his career is over if it is not already. If the Raiders want to help him they should cut him and bring him on in some capacity not as a player. Then he can have access to the team and its resources that could have a positive influence. If not just cut him and be done with it.

I do not want to psycho analyze the guy but does anybody think his self destructive behavior has something to do with his belief that physically he can not be a good player anymore and is scared of failure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: