Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

LT Branden Albert Released - UPDATE, Not Released, Trade?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cddolphin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
Daryl wrote:
This is not a good trade in my opinion. Here we are throwing away another pick for a washed up player. Classic Tannebum, yes i'm aware its just a seventh but so what they would have cut Thomas and we could have still had him but instead we throw away another pick. There is a million better options in the draft. This guy will be 30 soon and we will be shopping for a TE AGAIN thats not the way to build the team

Actually, potentially having a veteran TE for what is almost assuredly no more than 2 years is a perfect way to build the team. The acquisition of Thomas doesn't preclude the drafting of a TE this year. Now a developmental TE like Gerald Everett or a guy like Jake Butt who is coming off an ACL tear are possibilities in the middle rounds. They can take their time getting healthy and acclimated to the league rather than being thrust into a starting role and expecting them to excel. It does make it less likely that the 1st rounder is going to be a TE though. Njoku. Crying or Very sad

I agree.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article133913059.html

Quote:
One of the hurdles that was overcome Monday to get Thomas to Miami was a restructuring of his contract.

Thomas originally was signed through 2019, with cap hits of $8.3 million this coming season, $9.8 million in 2018 and $10.3 million in 2019.

Those numbers have been cut significantly, according to a league source as has the paragraph 5 salary Thomas is scheduled to earn. But Thomas will get a chance to earn back much of his money through incentives if he plays at the level he did in Denver -- something he has confidence he can do because of his past performance.

Thomas is basically betting on himself. And hes showing the Dolphins he wants to play in Miami rather than anywhere else.

Also this:

@ArmandoSalguero wrote:
For those asking via email, Dolphins still want to re-sign Dion Sims even if they acquire Julius Thomas.

The two TEs have complementary skillsets, and I'd much rather take a 7th round flier on a TE who has been effective with our HC than dropping a 1st - 3rd on a rookie.

It allows the FO to focus on defense in the first several rounds. There isn't a single hole on offense that would merit anything higher than a 3rd or 4th (OG).
hrubes20

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas reportedly agreed to a 2 year, $12 million restructure. No idea on the breakdown of any of it, but that is a significant reduction. I believe he was previously due $18 million or so over those 2 years, and had a 3rd year as well (although I'm sure little, if any, was guaranteed that year).

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: