Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AZ's pre-FA mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: AZ's pre-FA mock Reply with quote

Cuts
Cutler (save $14M)
Royal (save $5M)

Signings
CB Stephon Gilmore 5/65 No explanation needed.

WR Alshon Jeffery 5/65 No explanation needed.

QB Mike Glennon 3/36 Don't particularly like it but it is what it is at this juncture.

CB Mo Claiborne 1/5 Prove it deal for the oft injured CB. Really good last year pre-injury. In a year with an absurd amount of CB talent in the draft I think he finds a thin market.

S Antoine Bethea 1/3 Veteran stabilizing player in a position group full of question marks. He's a place holder for a draft pick but a definite upgrade over the status quo at the right price.

WR Cordarelle Patterson 2/6 Absolute burner helps immediately in the return game and adds a speed element (even if that's all it is) to our passing game sorely lacking at present.

TE Jacob Tamme 2/5 Solid depth at a position where we have an injury-prone Zach Miller and little else.

RB Chris Johnson 1/2 Depth player at this juncture but one who is effective in the passing game and a complement to Howard. He also has ties to Loggains, who was a coach in TEN his entire duration there.

TBD Swing tackle minimum deal

Extensions
DL Akiem Hicks 3/30 (added to existing deal) Rewarded as a huge hit in FA at a position where cost is spiking.

Draft
1-3: Trade 1-3 and 3-67 to NYJ for 1-6, 2-39 and 3-107: NY selects Trubisky

1-6 SS Jamal Adams, LSU Stud difference maker and leader for a secondary that desperately needs both.

Trade 2-36, 2-39 and 4-111 to BAL for 1-16

1-16 QB Pat Mahomes, Texas Tech Giant upside but in need of the time for refinement we are looking to buy with the Glennon move.

3-107 TE Jake Butt, Michigan The future starter at TE. Tamme signing and Brown resigning allow for him to get healthy. Once he is he should quickly climb the depth chart. Great value available here only due to injury and a loaded position group.

4-117 S Eddie Jackson, Alabama A ball hawk with 8 INT in 2015 before his 2016 season was cut short by injury and a team captain on a defense stock full of first round NFL talent, Jackson should climb the depth chart quickly and his skill set complements that of Adams incredibly well.

5-147 DL Charles Walker, Oklahoma An upside pick who left college early to focus on the draft figures to be in the DL rotation.

7-221 K Zane Gonzalez, Arizona State The only draftable player from my alma mater is also the NCAA record holder for most career field goals and the reigning Groza award winner with a big leg (7-9 from 50+ and 75% touchback rate in 2016).

Depth
QB Glennon, Mahomes, Shaw
RB Howard, Johnson, Langford, Carey
WR Jeffery, Meredith, White, Patterson, Bellamy, Braverman
TE Miller, Tamme, Butt, Brown
OT Leno, Massie, SWING
OG Long, Sitton, Kush
C Whitehair, Grasu

DL Hicks, Goldman, Washington, Bullard, Unrein, Walker
OLB Floyd, McPhee, Young, Houston
ILB Trevathan, Freeman, Kwiatowski, Jones
CB Gilmore, Claiborne, Porter, Hall, Callahan, Fuller, McManis
S Adams, Bethea, Jackson, Amos

K Gonzalez
P O'Donnell
LS Scales

Fire away.

Oh, and before asked, I kept Fuller here because I think he has no trade value and because there is $0 savings to cutting him. Contract for 2017 is fully guaranteed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo! This would be an amazing FA + draft. I doubt Pace moves around so much in the draft, though; he seems too conservative for that.
Epyon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the draft for the players selected...

That being said....

Trade 2-36, 2-39 and 4-111 to BAL for 1-16 to move up for Mahomes, after spending pick #6 on Jamal Adams.

I like Adams, but that's a hefty price to pay to get Adams in the first.

With those 3 picks you could land some pretty monster talent...

The second rounders alone could net 2 of:
Obi Melifonwu-SS, Evan Engram-WR/TE, Budda Baker-FS, something like 5 different corners, Taylor Moton-OT, Tyus Bowser-OLB, Zay Jones-WR, or TJ Watt-OLB

and that 4th rounder could land us a much needed RB behind Howard like Kareem Hunt.

The combination of those players imo crushes the value that Adams brings as a player.
bananabucket

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: AZ's pre-FA mock Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
QB Mike Glennon 3/36 Don't particularly like it but it is what it is at this juncture.

Oof. If you're gonna sign a stopgap who sucks, might as well go to the bargain bin.
51to54

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top end of this is pretty much my ideal outcome.
Trade back.
Pick up elite potential for secondary, especially safety for current Bears.
Add Mahomes.
Add a young safety valve TE for him.

Then another two defenders.

I'd try and pick up more than just a warm body depth for the Oline. Perhaps someone closer to starter level depth, but just a minor quibble.

Epyon noted was kind of expensive trade, but trading to get a value added position of QB and one with elite physical abilities is well worth the cost.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: AZ's pre-FA mock Reply with quote

bananabucket wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:

Oof. If you're gonna sign a stopgap who sucks, might as well go to the bargain bin.

Believe me, none of us ate excited about it either.

I would be content with this draft. I still believe Gonzales is going before the 7th, would be ecstatic to get him there.

Hopefully the team brings in someone who has developed QBs or team a system that did well with RPO offenses for example.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: