Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Only 2 spots to address? Deciphering Jerry.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaBoys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DalCowboyzRule wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
^Agreed. The reason DT was a relative priority for us last year was because we nearly ran out of capable bodies there in '15 and were playing guys off the street. If we lose T-Mac and Jack Crawford and just have one more injury, suddenly we're out of depth once again. Crawford and Thornton are fine, but they're late-20's guys on their second contracts. Each is under contract for 3+ more years but might only see 1 or 2 of them. Seasons are long and careers are short in this sport and we could absolutely use some youthful explosion on the interior. Or just some more cheap labor (wonder what Alan Branch goes for)

Absolutely.

We don't have any money, but we have to bring in a guy like an Alan Branch is who is a solid dependable veteran or a guy in the top 3 rounds who can play right away.

I'd be livid if all we do is keep the 3 actual defensive tackles we have, and draft some guy in the 7th round. Like you said, we'd be back to 1 injury away from being screwed.

Can't say I disagree. I just think this franchise has shown their hand as far as DTs are concerned. Look how long they rode Nick Hayden. They undervalue DTs. Maliek Collins despite being only a 3rd rounder was the first time Dallas picked a DT that early since Jason Hatcher in 2006(also in the 3rd round, 11 years ago). With the emergence of Irving(who made many of his big plays from the 3T), and drafting of Collins, and Crawfords Huge contract, and the signing of Thornton just last FA period. I highly doubt THIS team drafts a DT before day 3.

Adopt a Cowboy: X Dez Bryant X ~ 50 Rec ~ 796 Yds ~ 8 TDs ~ 15.9 YPC ~ 1 Passing TD ~ 4 games missed
DalCowboyzRule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
DalCowboyzRule wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
^Agreed. The reason DT was a relative priority for us last year was because we nearly ran out of capable bodies there in '15 and were playing guys off the street. If we lose T-Mac and Jack Crawford and just have one more injury, suddenly we're out of depth once again. Crawford and Thornton are fine, but they're late-20's guys on their second contracts. Each is under contract for 3+ more years but might only see 1 or 2 of them. Seasons are long and careers are short in this sport and we could absolutely use some youthful explosion on the interior. Or just some more cheap labor (wonder what Alan Branch goes for)

Absolutely.

We don't have any money, but we have to bring in a guy like an Alan Branch is who is a solid dependable veteran or a guy in the top 3 rounds who can play right away.

I'd be livid if all we do is keep the 3 actual defensive tackles we have, and draft some guy in the 7th round. Like you said, we'd be back to 1 injury away from being screwed.

Can't say I disagree. I just think this franchise has shown their hand as far as DTs are concerned. Look how long they rode Nick Hayden. They undervalue DTs. Maliek Collins despite being only a 3rd rounder was the first time Dallas picked a DT that early since Jason Hatcher in 2006(also in the 3rd round, 11 years ago). With the emergence of Irving(who made many of his big plays from the 3T), and drafting of Collins, and Crawfords Huge contract, and the signing of Thornton just last FA period. I highly doubt THIS team drafts a DT before day 3.

It makes me sad that you're probably right.

I really hope that's not the case.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't necessarily expect that, either, but I think they'll at least try to get to the draft with enough depth at key areas that they don't have to force anything. I don't want us to pass up a gamebreaker WR/TE or worthwhile developmental OL because we don't have enough depth at DL or DB. We'll just have to see how it plays out. But we definitely need another body at DT if/when McClain leaves even with Thornton's snaps presumed to go up. It's worth remembering that McClain signed a contract here worth 3 years/$3.3M, so it's not like our FO can't find someone

I just think, with all the clamoring for improved DE play, we lose sight of the fact that interior pressure is harder to scheme against and more troublesome for most QBs. And maybe not as expensive/rare in the draft/free agent market

Adopt-a-Cowboy 2016: Sean Lee- 145 tackles (93 solo, 52 assisted), 1 PD, 1 FR, 13 TFLs, 977/982 defensive snaps played excluding the meaningless Week 17 game against the last place Eagles
Action Jackson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB is soooo deep this year. I see no reason we take one at 28 unless one of the top 2 fall or maybe Tabor. I'd also be cool with White but really give me Harris or Lawson at 28 please! PASS RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EL ramster on the sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: