Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Combine Musings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurgan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Combine Musings Reply with quote

So, crazy thought.

I was watching the combine today, and I was amazed at the talent and depth of the tight end class. Would it be absolutely crazy to grab the highest tight end on our board with our third pick, and then maybe double dip again in the sixth or seventh round?? We could grab a stud like Leggett or Butt and then come back and steal a talented player like Kittle later.

We dressed 4 TE last year most of the year and that would be Greene, Outlaw and Grimble and the two rookies can fight for 3rd and 4th place. Or cut Greene and go with the other 4.

Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:27 am Post subject: Combine Musings
So, crazy thought.

I was watching the combine today, and I was amazed at the talent and depth of the tight end class.

There is no doubt that this is one of the most athletic and deepest group of TE's that there has ever been in the draft.

Would it be absolutely crazy to grab the highest tight end on our board with our third pick, and then maybe double dip again in the sixth or seventh round??

I think that would be too much. Despite the wealth of talent, I think we have other needs. The exception would be if Green would not get medically cleared. As long as green is in the mix, there is no need to draft a TE in my humble opinion. They would have Green, Outlaw and Grimble along with Nix as an H-back and they also use OT's as a blocking TE. Unless someone really good fell, I would say no, get an Edge, CB, FS, on the top three picks.

We could grab a stud like Leggett or Butt and then come back and steal a talented player like Kittle later.

No. Have health concerns with Butt, but he could be a player you draft late (6-7) if he falls and let him sit (IR) because of the knee injury.

We dressed 4 TE last year most of the year and that would be Greene, Outlaw and Grimble and the two rookies can fight for 3rd and 4th place. Or cut Greene and go with the other 4.

Green was out most of the season. Nix is more a FB and DJ is really an H-Back/FB more than TE. They used Hubbard a lot in the run game. We also did not have the WR's we needed as well. With Bryant coming back and the development of some of the young guys, I see the Steelers keeping 6 WR's before they keep 4 TE's in 2017. It is early and we have to see how free agency and the draft play out. However, that is my opinion on this right now. It can certainly change if Green can't go and I am sure they will be evaluating that very soon, if they have not already.

kurgan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:

Would it be absolutely crazy to grab the highest tight end on our board with our third pick, and then maybe double dip again in the sixth or seventh round??

I think that would be too much. Despite the wealth of talent, I think we have other needs. The exception would be if Green would not get medically cleared. As long as green is in the mix, there is no need to draft a TE in my humble opinion. They would have Green, Outlaw and Grimble along with Nix as an H-back and they also use OT's as a blocking TE. Unless someone really good fell, I would say no, get an Edge, CB, FS, on the top three picks.

I feel like we need a TE anyway. Green has shown us what a dangerous weapon he can be, and also what James is not. He is good at doing the Heath stuff, but he is not a game breaker. To me, even if he is healthy, having another option would be great. I agree with the Edge and CB, but with this class and this depth, and the questions in our TE room, I'd love to see a TE in the 3rd...

Green was out most of the season. Nix is more a FB and DJ is really an H-Back/FB more than TE. They used Hubbard a lot in the run game. We also did not have the WR's we needed as well. With Bryant coming back and the development of some of the young guys, I see the Steelers keeping 6 WR's before they keep 4 TE's in 2017. It is early and we have to see how free agency and the draft play out. However, that is my opinion on this right now. It can certainly change if Green can't go and I am sure they will be evaluating that very soon, if they have not already.

I know that anyone can make things happen magically, but imagine if we get an Edge in rd 1, a CB we love in rd 2. We are on the clock in Rd 3, and Bucky Hodges or Gerald Everett are sitting there. Unless Eddie Jackson is also there, I would run to the podium and get Everett or Hodges immediatly. Then, we get a FS at comp 3, RB at 4, another Edge at 5 and then Micheal Roberts of Toledo is sitting there at 6. A different type of TE. More blocking, bigger. Also another RZ threat. OR, take your practice squad CB at 6, and then at 7 there is Kittle or Plinke, who both had GREAT combines. I mean, all late rounders are shots, so what is the harm??

In this scenario, we have:
Green
Outlaw
Everett
Grimble/Roberts/Kittle

With the lack of knowledge about the WR room, that is a lot of safety blankets that are now around Ben. Also, we know Hubs can help in the run game, and Nix is an H-Back as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: