Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

War's 1.0 Mock Pre-Combine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warfelg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: War's 1.0 Mock Pre-Combine Reply with quote

Round 1 Pick 30: OLB Takkarist McKinley UCLA

Yes I know he's having surgery, which is why I think he'll last until our pick. He's going to need time to rehab, and I think between Deebo, Moats, and FA signing they will feel like they can hold the fort a bit and let McKinley come along at his own pace. He's got great burst off the edge, can flatten nicely. Violent hands. Needs to refine his pass rushing moves but has a motor that goes for days.

NFL Comp - Whitney Mercilus

Round 2 Pick 62: FS Marcus Williams UTAH

Big time playmaker, with the ability to centerfield on an elite level. He's also a willing tackler as he isn't afraid to stick his nose into a dirty situation. An excellent bait move that QB's fall for. Has the speed to catch any pass. Not a bulky player, not a big hitter, he's just about the polar opposite of Mike Mitchell.

NFL Comp - HaHa Clinton-Dix

Round 3 Pick 94: WR Chris Godwin PSU

Yes it is well known that I want to draft another WR. With Wheaton halfway out the door, Bryant as reliable as using TP to write a love note on, Coats a liability, and Rogers and Hamilton seemingly show up small in a big moment, I think we need a #2 WR. Enter Godwin. A big bodied WR who fights for 50/50 jump balls. Doesn't get great seperation, doesn't have great speed, but he's what this offense needs.

NFL Comp - Anquan Boldin

Round 3 Comp Pick 105: QB Brad Kaaya Miami

I like this kid. Strong arm, stands tall in the pocket, slightly more mobile than he looks. Smart kid. Take hits but stays in the game. Needs to work on throwing a guy open and needs to get a faster trigger. A really good developmental QB to take at this point.

NFL Comp - Byron Leftwitch

Round 4 Pick 135: RB Kareem Hunt Toledo

Tough runner. He isn't the most athletic runner, but he just find holes and picks up yards. Question is pass catching and pass protecting to me. Would be a nice sub and change of speed back from Bell.

NFL Comp - Alfred Morris

Round 5 Pick 173: OLB Ejuan Price Pitt

Has the skills but gets lazy. Not always strong against the run. Doesn't have long arms so he needs to play with some leverage because of his size. Not the best motor.

NFL Comp - Elvis Dumerville

Round 6 Pick 213: CB Jeremy Clark Michigan

He's a definite injury question after his knee injury. But at 6'3" he's really long. Has the ability to cover TE's. Not the most fluid of players at the position, he'll end up a situational cover corner. If healthy he could cover guys like Gronk and Kelce.

NFL Comp - Brandon Browner

Round 7 Pick 248: ILB Brandon Bell PSU

Quick smaller LBer. Covers nicely but sticks his nose into it when it comes to the run. One of those guys that always seems to be near the play when the ball carrier comes down. Made lots of splash plays for PSU. Injured during the bowl game, leading to PSU's defense collapse. Heart and Soul type guy.

NFL Comp - Kiko Alonso

Summary

Yes there are lots of injury risk players in this draft, but they are all guys who haven't been injured often. We hit some major needs early, and later get back to the standard Steelers tactic of taking guys that can take time to develop behind entrenched starters. If the draft fell this way you could count me as a very very happy person.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could live with everything except QB in the 3rd round.

We should be all in with Ben this year. Draft a QB early next year when the class should be notably better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a high 3rd grade on Kaaya, so he was way too good a value to pass on at that point IMO.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
I could live with everything except QB in the 3rd round.

We should be all in with Ben this year. Draft a QB early next year when the class should be notably better.

Agreed...Pull a Denver and put everything you can around your qb on both sides of the ball while you can.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
I had a high 3rd grade on Kaaya, so he was way too good a value to pass on at that point IMO.

Not knocking ya for it, but I wouldnt be happy about it.

We were one game away from the Superbowl and should be better in 2017. If I were the GM, Id be devoting every available resource to winning in 2017 and 2018. Like I said, I would consider drafting a QB early in 2018 if the right player was available, but honestly, the earliest Id draft a QB this year is 5th round....and either find a backup in FA or roll with Mettenberger.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
warfelg wrote:

Not knocking ya for it, but I wouldnt be happy about it.

We were one game away from the Superbowl and should be better in 2017. If I were the GM, Id be devoting every available resource to winning in 2017 and 2018. Like I said, I would consider drafting a QB early in 2018 if the right player was available, but honestly, the earliest Id draft a QB this year is 5th round....and either find a backup in FA or roll with Mettenberger.

Totally agree. I would use that extra 3rd on a TE at that point.

MDSteeler1971

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:

Just listening to all the "experts" Kayaa has fallen way off. He will be lucky to go before the 5th!
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: War's 1.0 Mock Pre-Combine Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Round 1 Pick 30: OLB Takkarist McKinley UCLA

Yes I know he's having surgery, which is why I think he'll last until our pick. He's going to need time to rehab, and I think between Deebo, Moats, and FA signing they will feel like they can hold the fort a bit and let McKinley come along at his own pace. He's got great burst off the edge, can flatten nicely. Violent hands. Needs to refine his pass rushing moves but has a motor that goes for days.

NFL Comp - Whitney Mercilus

A little nervous about the injury as I am hoping to have someone who can come in from training camp and develop. I am hoping that the #1 pick has an immediate impact. He does have potential, but with other edge/olb types, I would probably go another direction (only because he may not be ready early).

[b]Round 2 Pick 62: FS Marcus Williams UTAH[/b]

Big time playmaker, with the ability to centerfield on an elite level. He's also a willing tackler as he isn't afraid to stick his nose into a dirty situation. An excellent bait move that QB's fall for. Has the speed to catch any pass. Not a bulky player, not a big hitter, he's just about the polar opposite of Mike Mitchell.

NFL Comp - HaHa Clinton-Dix

I could certainly live with that. I think we need another safety to develop next to Davis.

Round 3 Pick 94: WR Chris Godwin PSU

Yes it is well known that I want to draft another WR. With Wheaton halfway out the door, Bryant as reliable as using TP to write a love note on, Coats a liability, and Rogers and Hamilton seemingly show up small in a big moment, I think we need a #2 WR. Enter Godwin. A big bodied WR who fights for 50/50 jump balls. Doesn't get great separation, doesn't have great speed, but he's what this offense needs.

NFL Comp - Anquan Boldin

If WR insurance is a concern then I am looking to add a veteran free agent. We really need some reliablity at #2. Rogers is a good #3 and AB is well All World. I would go CB here. You went edge, FS and we need a CB to help lock down our defense.

Round 3 Comp Pick 105: QB Brad Kaaya Miami

I like this kid. Strong arm, stands tall in the pocket, slightly more mobile than he looks. Smart kid. Take hits but stays in the game. Needs to work on throwing a guy open and needs to get a faster trigger. A really good developmental QB to take at this point.

NFL Comp - Byron Leftwitch

I have little faith in any of this year's QB's making an immediate impact. I agree that it is Ben for the next two season's to try to get ring #7 and #8. I think you get a veteran free agent as a back-up, keep Zach to develop.

Round 4 Pick 135: RB Kareem Hunt Toledo

Tough runner. He isn't the most athletic runner, but he just find holes and picks up yards. Question is pass catching and pass protecting to me. Would be a nice sub and change of speed back from Bell.

NFL Comp - Alfred Morris

MEH...I want a RB who is more versatile and not one dimensional. I want running, pass catching and pass blocking. We have the downhill inside types with Fitz and Williams.

Round 5 Pick 173: OLB Ejuan Price Pitt

Has the skills but gets lazy. Not always strong against the run. Doesn't have long arms so he needs to play with some leverage because of his size. Not the best motor.

NFL Comp - Elvis Dumerville

I am biased on this pick. I have mocked him to the Steelers in both of my early mocks. I think this is a guy who two or three years from now, we are going nuts about. He can come in immediately and play on special teams and spell the #1 and Debo on occasion. Great comparison with Elvis as well, but I think he has some Harrison and Freeney in him as well. Debo would be a great man for him to play behind for a year.

Round 6 Pick 213: CB Jeremy Clark Michigan

He's a definite injury question after his knee injury. But at 6'3" he's really long. Has the ability to cover TE's. Not the most fluid of players at the position, he'll end up a situational cover corner. If healthy he could cover guys like Gronk and Kelce.

NFL Comp - Brandon Browner

The injury concerns me. I think because of risks this guy may be a free agent. He has size and length, but ideally he could have used another year
(his 6th) to prove himself.

Round 7 Pick 248: ILB Brandon Bell PSU

Quick smaller LBer. Covers nicely but sticks his nose into it when it comes to the run. One of those guys that always seems to be near the play when the ball carrier comes down. Made lots of splash plays for PSU. Injured during the bowl game, leading to PSU's defense collapse. Heart and Soul type guy.

NFL Comp - Kiko Alonso

I really like this pick and believe that he Steelers need to start looking at this type of LB tweener to play inside and be able to generate pressure in the middle blitzing, move quickly sideline to sideline and even drop in coverage. This guy moves around and makes plays. If he had Tyler Matakevich's instincts as a MLB look out.

Summary

Yes there are lots of injury risk players in this draft, but they are all guys who haven't been injured often. We hit some major needs early, and later get back to the standard Steelers tactic of taking guys that can take time to develop behind entrenched starters. If the draft fell this way you could count me as a very very happy person.

I commend anyone for doing a draft this early without having all of the date, film Combine, input and conversation from others to consider. The draft is an art and not an exact science. My concern is that there are at least three players with injury concerns and others who need time to develop. I am big on building through the draft and looking beyond the immediate bang for the buck, but we need someone who can help get pressure on the QB, someone who is a versatile CB and can play press or man, and a WR who can be a bonafide #2 should there be another problem with Bryant. I see no one here making an immediate impact including Goodwin. Not many rookie WR's burst on the scene and kill it. I loved the impact that Michael Thomas had with New Orleans last year. That just isn't typical to me from a WR.

If you add a Edge and a CB who can make an impact, then I would give a higher rating. This could be a solid draft in three years, but today it doesn't make an impact to help get rings now while Ben is here.

warfelg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayaa looking really good, looking smooth in drops, and showing off a big arm.

Hahahahaha.

steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I don't like is no CB until later on. I'm just not a fan of a WR in this draft unless we get a sure-thing that drops in the first two rounds.

I find the WR "issue" to be over-exaggerated. Remember, Wheaton nor Coates were healthy last season. Bryant wasn't also available. Ben's other targets were just starting to develop chemistry with him.

Brown, Bryant, then a healthy Wheaton / Coates

is a lot different from

Brown, no Bryant, 50% Coates / Wheaton duo, who???

I feel we need to play out this next season before we worry about WR issues.

I'd rather focus on defense. Use this time we have left with Big Ben to develop a strong defense and let Ben's skills control the offense; regardless of who his weapons are... as long as the OL stays intact.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
Only thing I don't like is no CB until later on. I'm just not a fan of a WR in this draft unless we get a sure-thing that drops in the first two rounds.

I find the WR "issue" to be over-exaggerated. Remember, Wheaton nor Coates were healthy last season. Bryant wasn't also available. Ben's other targets were just starting to develop chemistry with him.

Brown, Bryant, then a healthy Wheaton / Coates

is a lot different from

Brown, no Bryant, 50% Coates / Wheaton duo, who???

I feel we need to play out this next season before we worry about WR issues.

I'd rather focus on defense. Use this time we have left with Big Ben to develop a strong defense and let Ben's skills control the offense; regardless of who his weapons are... as long as the OL stays intact.

And what if we never get Bryant back?

Im not even completely disagreeing with you about your stance on WR, but after everything that has happened, you want to give Bryant the benefit of the doubt?

And in regards to CB...I am personally hoping we address it in free agency.

Ideally and realistically, I wouldnt mind signing Revis and Anquan Boldin. Both are aging, but should be suffice for the next two years while we try to make a SB run. That wouldnt mean CB isnt still a draftable position, but I think we need a quality veteran across from Burns....not another rookie thrown into the fire....especially if we dont improve the pass rush (and the pass rushers in FA are nothing special after the franchise taggings)

Sign Revis and Boldin....draft 2 pass rushers in the first 4 picks....use one of those other picks on secondary.....thats what I want to see.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

And what if we never get Bryant back?

Im not even completely disagreeing with you about your stance on WR, but after everything that has happened, you want to give Bryant the benefit of the doubt?

And in regards to CB...I am personally hoping we address it in free agency.

Ideally and realistically, I wouldnt mind signing Revis and Anquan Boldin. Both are aging, but should be suffice for the next two years while we try to make a SB run. That wouldnt mean CB isnt still a draftable position, but I think we need a quality veteran across from Burns....not another rookie thrown into the fire....especially if we dont improve the pass rush (and the pass rushers in FA are nothing special after the franchise taggings)

Sign Revis and Boldin....draft 2 pass rushers in the first 4 picks....use one of those other picks on secondary.....thats what I want to see.

I can't imagine Bryant goes anywhere, unless they decided to trade him. If he cleaned up his act, would you want a WR with his talent going elsewhere? Even if he's not back, a WR in the third round isn't an upgrade; and WR isn't a huge first round need.

Would I give him the benefit of the doubt? His talent says yes, his brain says no. You really don't have anything to lose by giving him a chance. It's not like he's a problem in the locker room or a liability on the field.

Signing a veteran at CB would make sense. Personally, I don't like how bad Revis looked last year. I've been saying all year that [Outside of FF] I feel he should move to FS. Man coverage seems to be an issue these days, but let's be honest; who you want to throw his way if he's sitting back in zone coverage? I sure as Hell wouldn't.

Boldin? Not sure how well he'd do here. Not sure he'd fit this offense well. Although the only saving grace there is he's in the slot for short-yardage situations and let him fight out those tough yards for a first down. Perhaps he's your option there instead of Bell and you preserve your star WR at the expense of a cheap veteran? I like that idea, but not sure about Boldin.

Drafting a CB young while getting a solid veteran CB sounds like a great idea, actually. Let that rookie spend 2 years in the nickle and move up to your #2 (or #1; if he's that good). However, I'm confused; why do we need two pass rushers? One outside and one inside? Or just situational pass rushers? (Perhaps situational on the DL)? I'm confused why you'd want two; unless it's just for rotation purposes. I guess it's like baseball, where you can never have too many pitchers; except here's it's never "too many pass rushers".
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
I can't imagine Bryant goes anywhere, unless they decided to trade him. If he cleaned up his act, would you want a WR with his talent going elsewhere?

Mighty big "if"...and thats the point.

Quote:
Even if he's not back, a WR in the third round isn't an upgrade; and WR isn't a huge first round need.

So you think our WR corps is fine going forward with Eli Rogers as our number 2?

And I dont think anyone is claiming WR is a first round need.

Quote:
Would I give him the benefit of the doubt? His talent says yes, his brain says no.

Kind of a big caveat.

Quote:
You really don't have anything to lose by giving him a chance. It's not like he's a problem in the locker room or a liability on the field.

Im not saying just cut him. No one wants to see Bryant stay on the field more than me.

Im saying that he has proven he isnt reliable, and we cant COUNT on him being here in 2017.

Quote:
Signing a veteran at CB would make sense. Personally, I don't like how bad Revis looked last year. I've been saying all year that [Outside of FF] I feel he should move to FS. Man coverage seems to be an issue these days, but let's be honest; who you want to throw his way if he's sitting back in zone coverage? I sure as Hell wouldn't.

If our corners played a ton of man coverage, I might agree.

On top of that, this reminds me alot of what happened with Terrance Newman. He had a down year several years ago and everyone claimed he needed to switch to S or just retired. Then he had several good years after that.

Quote:
Boldin? Not sure how well he'd do here. Not sure he'd fit this offense well.

Huh?

He is exactly what this offense needs....a physical possession receiver.

I would prefer Brandon Marshall, but he will cost too much.

Quote:
Although the only saving grace there is he's in the slot for short-yardage situations and let him fight out those tough yards for a first down. Perhaps he's your option there instead of Bell and you preserve your star WR at the expense of a cheap veteran? I like that idea, but not sure about Boldin.

The issue here is, youre viewing Bryant as a certainty, and you shouldnt.

And again, Boldin is likely our best option that is also affordable.

Quote:
However, I'm confused; why do we need two pass rushers? One outside and one inside?

????

We have Dupree and Deebo...Harrison is 39 and not an every down guy.

Beyond that, what do we have?

We dont need 2 pass rushers....we need 3. Would like to see us add two OLB and a pass rushing DE.

Quote:
I'm confused why you'd want two; unless it's just for rotation purposes. I guess it's like baseball, where you can never have too many pitchers; except here's it's never "too many pass rushers"

Too many? Huh?

Im not sure we are looking at the same team.

We have one full time pass rusher (Dupree), one part time pass rusher (Deebo) and Moats, who is a terrible pass rusher. And please dont say Chickillo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: