You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brandin Cooks... potential deal:

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Brandin Cooks... potential deal: Reply with quote

This topic needed its own post...

As we all know by now, there is a growing since that the Saints would like to move Cooks in an effort to help improve their defense I.E. the Jimmy Graham trade but unlike many outside on NOLA want to believe, THE SAINTS DONT FEEL THEY MUST TRADE COOKS!

This is basically the Saints doing their due diligence by gauging Cooks value and if and ONLY if they can get what value they feel Cooks is worth (a 1st round pick) that's the only way the Saints would ever consider moving Cooks.

Of course any other team would love to land Cooks for a mere 2nd round pick but I'm hear to tell ya it ain't gonna happen. Sean Payton has already stated that it would take something VERY SIGNIFICANT to pry Cooks out of NOLA and that they still value his skill set tremendously. Also despite the fact that Cooks would want a new big money deal if a trade would take place, he has very little power when it comes to that as the Saints could simply hold onto Cooks in 2017 on the last year of his rookie deal, pick up his 5th year option at a bargain 8 million in 2018 then franchise him in 2019 giving the Saints a combined bargain for a young dynamic playmaker for the next 3 seasons... that in it's self hold great value and the type of value you don't simply give away for a 2nd round pick.

If anyone knows Mickey Loomis by now knows the one thing he won't do is allow the player/asset to determine value of dictate the way in which the trade would progress.

The Saints clearly want a 1st round pick for Cooks services and if they can't get it they simply will be happy with retaining one of the top young offensive playmakers in the NFL. It's a win/win for the Saints. However if a team offers the value the Saints seek (1st rounder) New Orleans would likely move Cooks and utilize those two 1st round picks to land 2 potential starting defenders for their defense next season.

At the end of the day... there is a lot of smoke here and with at least 2 teams in the running for Cooks, odds could be good that the Saints will eventually get what they want in return from someone but for those waiting for something to be announced on March 9th I'd say get comfortable as this could be a trade that could go down on draft night or not at all.

WHODAT

WHODAT91FOREVER
SWATcha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is what it is. I'm somewhat torn on the topic. I really like Cooks. This is the best WR core Brees has had since coming to Nola. At the same time, watching the Saints defense has become infuriating, to the point that I've actually watched other games on Sunday when the Saints are on defense.

I don't really want to see Cooks go, but if the price is right and the Saints can finally improve that dumpster fire of a defense......

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWATcha wrote:
Is what it is. I'm somewhat torn on the topic. I really like Cooks. This is the best WR core Brees has had since coming to Nola. At the same time, watching the Saints defense has become infuriating, to the point that I've actually watched other games on Sunday when the Saints are on defense.

I don't really want to see Cooks go, but if the price is right and the Saints can finally improve that dumpster fire of a defense......

Which is exactly why you only do the deal if you know your getting a surefire defensive starter in the deal... a 2nd round pick does not accomplish that.

WHODAT91FOREVER
Mid Iowa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the mean time, go sign Brandon Marshal to come in and work with these kids. He's a baller, he puts up wicked numbers with crappy QBs, and he could provide a veteran voice for our young group of WRs that we haven't had since Colston left.

I hope we keep Cooks. Sure, he voiced his displeasure with not making a catch in a game. Well, Son, that's what happens when you're so good that you constantly draw a double team and allow your team to score 40+ points in that game.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“You get calls every year about players on your team, and you make calls about players on other teams,” Loomis said Friday. “We always listen. But, man, we like Brandin Cooks an awful lot. So it would take an awful lot for us to consider making a move there. But we’re always open for business, I guess is the best way to say it.”

Mickey Loomis, Saints GM

Well... there you have it.

Either the Saints will get what they want or they will be just as happy to hold onto their offensive star.

WHODAT91FOREVER

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: