You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

March 1st Minute Mock

 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
minutemancl


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 14596
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: March 1st Minute Mock Reply with quote

Round 1, pick 23:
The New York Giants select...

Haason Reddick, LB Temple

Back in 2011, while watching games of prospective draft picks for myself, I found myself down on a defensive player everyone else loved. I thought he was too small to succeed in the NFL at what he succeeded in in college and he struggled too much in shedding blocks. I thought he was a bust for sure. That player was Von Miller. After seeing him succeed and other LBs I liked a lot fail, I realized I must be looking at LBs incorrectly. I also told myself I'd never make the mistake I made in scouting Von Miller again. Haason Reddick is basically Von Miller. You may think I'm crazy for saying that, but I really believe it. He's incredibly explosive, fast, and aggressive. He can play absolutely anywhere on defense. He can rush the passer, as he displayed numerous times at Temple, and as a walk on CB, he can cover as well. He can play sideline to sideline and has no problems coming down hill to make a tackle. He's the total package and would be an instant 3 down starter at LB for us, which is a position we currently have no one under contract to play, let alone play well. BJ Goodson is our MLB, Kennard gets most of his play time with his hand in the dirt as a third down pass rusher and as a LB in some packages, but we don't have anyone who offers what Reddick does. Some may see Reddick as a reach at 23 right now, but at the end of this week when the combine is over, I doubt most mocks will even have him available at 23. He's my favorite LB in the draft and my 2nd favorite defensive player overall.

Round 2, pick 55:
The New York Giants select...

Carlos Henderson, WR LA Tech

The Giants have a tendency to let go of WRs just at the end of their productive football careers and draft a replacement who can fill in their production and more. I think Carlos Henderson is the perfect #2 WR for our offense and he is the pick here. Henderson is not as polished as OBJ or Shepard were coming out of college in terms of route running. However, he is incredibly fast and was very effective at both taking screens to the house as well as taking the tops off of defenses down the sidelines. At 6'2", he offers good size and is quick and fast enough to thrive in our offense where Mcadoo likes to move all the receivers around to play every spot a WR can. What really solidified my love for Henderson was Matt Harmon's Reception Perception writeup on him, which can be viewed here: https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/reception-perception-carlos-henderson-something-worth-believing/. For what it's worth, Harmon's favorite receiver in last year's draft, who graded the best vs coverage amongst his peers like Henderson does here, was Sterling Shepard.

Round 3, pick 87:
The New York Giants select...

Joshua Dobbs, QB Tennessee

Brett Favre was 35 when the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers. Eli is 36. It's definitely about time the Giants start looking for a QB to follow Eli. That much is obvious. What isn't so obvious is what QB they like or who they should be looking for. At first, I watched tape of the consensus best, pro-ready QBs in this year's draft and honestly came away impressed. I'm still a big fan of Trubisky and Watson and what they can offer an NFL team, especially if given time to develop. However, those guys should be gone in the first round, potentially even before the Giants can announce their first pick. I did not even consider Josh Dobbs as an option as the potential heir to the NYG QB position until very recently, but it makes a lot of sense. Dobbs is an incredibly smart guy (majored in aerospace engineering at Tennessee), handled the media incredibly well during his college career, is very well spoken, and he's very athletic. What Dobbs needs work on is throwing and footwork mechanics, which is what all QBs need coming out of college. And the Giants aren't drafting a QB for 2017, they are drafting one for 2019. Using a 3rd round pick on a supremely talented, very smart QB and giving him 2 years to develop is a smart move and one I think the Giants could definitely make. I think it is also telling that the Giants signed Josh Johnson as Eli's backup QB this past season. Johnson's skillset is closer to Dobbs's at this moment than Eli's. It's possible that someone who has running ability like Dobbs does may be able to run Mcadoo's offense better than Eli could.

Round 4, pick 140:
The New York Giants select...

Derek Rivers, DE Youngstown

Derek Rivers has tremendous physical skills, but drops due to a low level of competition in college and this draft being loaded with edge rushers.

Round 5, pick 167:
The New York Giants select...

Samaje Perine, RB Oklahoma

Perine is a beast. Perkins is our starting RB in 2017, but we need someone with power who can get those short yards and complement Perkins. Perine fulfills that perfectly. However, Perine will probably not be available this late in the draft.

Round 6, pick 207:
The New York Giants select...

Taylor McNamara, TE USC

Mostly a blocking TE, but has decent hands as well. Giants always seem to get the most out of big bodied blocking TEs who have a decent amount of athleticism.

Round 7, pick 241:
The New York Giants select...

Praise Martin-Oguike, DE/LB Temple

When I'm watching a game for a particular player, there are 1 or 2 times per offseason where another player will catch my eye. This year, while watching Reddick tear it up for Temple, I also couldn't help but watch the player playing across from him. #50 was powerful, moving tackles at will and lived in the backfield in one game I watched him in. I know he is eligible for the draft, but I haven't seen his name mentioned on even one draft website. He was accused of rape back in 2014 and dismissed from the team, but was cleared of the charges soon after, as in, police deemed the crime never happened at all, and returned. He gained a starting spot about halfway through this past season and impressed me from what I saw. Would be worth a late round flyer for sure.

Let me know what you think. This mock operates under the notion that OJ Howard and David Njoku are gone at 23, because I have a good feeling that one of those 2 will realistically be the pick, if available, in the first round for the Giants.
_________________
aceinthehouse wrote:

1st yr head coaches rarely see success their 1st yr, if at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gmen


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 17498
Location: Myyyyy precioussss
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know drafting for need is frowned upon for some reason, but I think the first round pick should definitely be used to upgrade the offense. Lineman, receiver, tight end, even running back if the value is there. Our offense is the reason we went one and done last year. We invested a lot into the defense last offseason and it paid off. I'd like to see us make the same sort of commitment to the offense this offseason.
_________________


scar988 wrote:
I'm of the belief the best QB in NY right now (July 2017) is Geno Smith.

SMH
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minutemancl


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 14596
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
I know drafting for need is frowned upon for some reason, but I think the first round pick should definitely be used to upgrade the offense. Lineman, receiver, tight end, even running back if the value is there. Our offense is the reason we went one and done last year. We invested a lot into the defense last offseason and it paid off. I'd like to see us make the same sort of commitment to the offense this offseason.


I agree with you, but the talent in this draft being overloaded and some positions and devoid at others changes plans a bit. For example, the tackles in this draft are the worst I've ever seen. The only OL I'd be ok with taking at 23 is Bolles, and even he has his issues. Robinson and Ramczyk have the same problems Flowers has. Forrest Lamp I think will be an excellent guard and Feeney isn't bad either, but after him the guard talent drops off as well. IMO, there are 3 OL worth a pick in the first 2 rounds. You can't reach and take another just because you have a need there. Not in this draft.

I addressed the TE situation at the bottom. The talent falls off a bit after Howard and Njoku, the latter of which I'm still not sold on. I do like Everett quite a bit, but he isn't worth the 23rd pick and will be gone by 55 for sure.

Receiver is a similar problem where there won't be one who matches as the best player available at the position we are picking. Corey Davis is a beast, but he and Mike Williams will be long gone before 23. John Ross is potentially an option, but I think he will be gone as well. After that, a bunch of guys are about equal for me that I like quite a bit. I like Zay Jones, Chad Hansen, and Carlos Henderson (who I have us taking) a lot, but they are second-third round guys.

Running back is interesting, though. Tons of RB talent in this draft. To me, Dalvin Cook is the best and if there is something to the rumors about teams being turned off by his character issues, he could potentially drop to 23. That would be a great pick.

But overall, the talent doesn't really line up for us to take an offensive player at 23 and have him be worthy of that pick with the way I see the draft turning out. Obviously, I'd love to be wrong and end up with Howard, Cook, Davis, or a guy of their talent in the first round.
_________________
aceinthehouse wrote:

1st yr head coaches rarely see success their 1st yr, if at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattbags2313


Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 2602
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
Gmen wrote:
I know drafting for need is frowned upon for some reason, but I think the first round pick should definitely be used to upgrade the offense. Lineman, receiver, tight end, even running back if the value is there. Our offense is the reason we went one and done last year. We invested a lot into the defense last offseason and it paid off. I'd like to see us make the same sort of commitment to the offense this offseason.


I agree with you, but the talent in this draft being overloaded and some positions and devoid at others changes plans a bit. For example, the tackles in this draft are the worst I've ever seen. The only OL I'd be ok with taking at 23 is Bolles, and even he has his issues. Robinson and Ramczyk have the same problems Flowers has. Forrest Lamp I think will be an excellent guard and Feeney isn't bad either, but after him the guard talent drops off as well. IMO, there are 3 OL worth a pick in the first 2 rounds. You can't reach and take another just because you have a need there. Not in this draft.

I addressed the TE situation at the bottom. The talent falls off a bit after Howard and Njoku, the latter of which I'm still not sold on. I do like Everett quite a bit, but he isn't worth the 23rd pick and will be gone by 55 for sure.

Receiver is a similar problem where there won't be one who matches as the best player available at the position we are picking. Corey Davis is a beast, but he and Mike Williams will be long gone before 23. John Ross is potentially an option, but I think he will be gone as well. After that, a bunch of guys are about equal for me that I like quite a bit. I like Zay Jones, Chad Hansen, and Carlos Henderson (who I have us taking) a lot, but they are second-third round guys.

Running back is interesting, though. Tons of RB talent in this draft. To me, Dalvin Cook is the best and if there is something to the rumors about teams being turned off by his character issues, he could potentially drop to 23. That would be a great pick.

But overall, the talent doesn't really line up for us to take an offensive player at 23 and have him be worthy of that pick with the way I see the draft turning out. Obviously, I'd love to be wrong and end up with Howard, Cook, Davis, or a guy of their talent in the first round.


I dont think john ross fits what we need at WR. We need a bid bodied receiver for the outside. ross is like 5'11 lol. Would love dupree or JuJu in the second

also from a TE standpoint dont overlook my man evan Engram!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minutemancl


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 14596
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattbags2313 wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
Gmen wrote:
I know drafting for need is frowned upon for some reason, but I think the first round pick should definitely be used to upgrade the offense. Lineman, receiver, tight end, even running back if the value is there. Our offense is the reason we went one and done last year. We invested a lot into the defense last offseason and it paid off. I'd like to see us make the same sort of commitment to the offense this offseason.


I agree with you, but the talent in this draft being overloaded and some positions and devoid at others changes plans a bit. For example, the tackles in this draft are the worst I've ever seen. The only OL I'd be ok with taking at 23 is Bolles, and even he has his issues. Robinson and Ramczyk have the same problems Flowers has. Forrest Lamp I think will be an excellent guard and Feeney isn't bad either, but after him the guard talent drops off as well. IMO, there are 3 OL worth a pick in the first 2 rounds. You can't reach and take another just because you have a need there. Not in this draft.

I addressed the TE situation at the bottom. The talent falls off a bit after Howard and Njoku, the latter of which I'm still not sold on. I do like Everett quite a bit, but he isn't worth the 23rd pick and will be gone by 55 for sure.

Receiver is a similar problem where there won't be one who matches as the best player available at the position we are picking. Corey Davis is a beast, but he and Mike Williams will be long gone before 23. John Ross is potentially an option, but I think he will be gone as well. After that, a bunch of guys are about equal for me that I like quite a bit. I like Zay Jones, Chad Hansen, and Carlos Henderson (who I have us taking) a lot, but they are second-third round guys.

Running back is interesting, though. Tons of RB talent in this draft. To me, Dalvin Cook is the best and if there is something to the rumors about teams being turned off by his character issues, he could potentially drop to 23. That would be a great pick.

But overall, the talent doesn't really line up for us to take an offensive player at 23 and have him be worthy of that pick with the way I see the draft turning out. Obviously, I'd love to be wrong and end up with Howard, Cook, Davis, or a guy of their talent in the first round.


I dont think john ross fits what we need at WR. We need a bid bodied receiver for the outside. ross is like 5'11 lol. Would love dupree or JuJu in the second

also from a TE standpoint dont overlook my man evan Engram!


Engram isn't a TE, he's a wide receiver.
_________________
aceinthehouse wrote:

1st yr head coaches rarely see success their 1st yr, if at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattbags2313


Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 2602
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
mattbags2313 wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
Gmen wrote:
I know drafting for need is frowned upon for some reason, but I think the first round pick should definitely be used to upgrade the offense. Lineman, receiver, tight end, even running back if the value is there. Our offense is the reason we went one and done last year. We invested a lot into the defense last offseason and it paid off. I'd like to see us make the same sort of commitment to the offense this offseason.


I agree with you, but the talent in this draft being overloaded and some positions and devoid at others changes plans a bit. For example, the tackles in this draft are the worst I've ever seen. The only OL I'd be ok with taking at 23 is Bolles, and even he has his issues. Robinson and Ramczyk have the same problems Flowers has. Forrest Lamp I think will be an excellent guard and Feeney isn't bad either, but after him the guard talent drops off as well. IMO, there are 3 OL worth a pick in the first 2 rounds. You can't reach and take another just because you have a need there. Not in this draft.

I addressed the TE situation at the bottom. The talent falls off a bit after Howard and Njoku, the latter of which I'm still not sold on. I do like Everett quite a bit, but he isn't worth the 23rd pick and will be gone by 55 for sure.

Receiver is a similar problem where there won't be one who matches as the best player available at the position we are picking. Corey Davis is a beast, but he and Mike Williams will be long gone before 23. John Ross is potentially an option, but I think he will be gone as well. After that, a bunch of guys are about equal for me that I like quite a bit. I like Zay Jones, Chad Hansen, and Carlos Henderson (who I have us taking) a lot, but they are second-third round guys.

Running back is interesting, though. Tons of RB talent in this draft. To me, Dalvin Cook is the best and if there is something to the rumors about teams being turned off by his character issues, he could potentially drop to 23. That would be a great pick.

But overall, the talent doesn't really line up for us to take an offensive player at 23 and have him be worthy of that pick with the way I see the draft turning out. Obviously, I'd love to be wrong and end up with Howard, Cook, Davis, or a guy of their talent in the first round.


I dont think john ross fits what we need at WR. We need a bid bodied receiver for the outside. ross is like 5'11 lol. Would love dupree or JuJu in the second

also from a TE standpoint dont overlook my man evan Engram!


Engram isn't a TE, he's a wide receiver.



No hes not lol. He is going to be a mismatch nightmare. Yeah he isnt built to block but as a receiving threat he is going to be very good. Drawing comparisons to jordan reed. Idk what would make you say that. He is taller than Reed. His height is fine at 6'3. Reed only has 10 pounds on him. If he bulks up to between 245-250 he will be fine. He is like 235 right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattbags2313


Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 2602
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Njoku which is a popular pick to the g-men is 6'4 245
Engram is 6'3 235.

not a crazy difference. The kid is a playmaker and thats all that matters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kodaraw


Joined: 12 Feb 2013
Posts: 1502
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need a "receiving" TE and a "blocking" TE. We need a complete TE.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattbags2313


Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 2602
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
We don't need a "receiving" TE and a "blocking" TE. We need a complete TE.


he didnt receive negative grades as a blocker, i was just going off size. Weight can always be added
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattbags2313


Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 2602
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you guys think of mahomes in the second if hes there
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kodaraw


Joined: 12 Feb 2013
Posts: 1502
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattbags2313 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
We don't need a "receiving" TE and a "blocking" TE. We need a complete TE.


he didnt receive negative grades as a blocker, i was just going off size. Weight can always be added


Sure, but that doesn't mean he'll retain his burst and explosiveness with the added weight. Eddie Lacy and Anthony Walker are good examples
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kodaraw


Joined: 12 Feb 2013
Posts: 1502
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattbags2313 wrote:
what do you guys think of mahomes in the second if hes there


He won't be there, but absolutely.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattbags2313


Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 2602
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
mattbags2313 wrote:
what do you guys think of mahomes in the second if hes there


He won't be there, but absolutely.


i think one of the big name qbs is there in the second. i dont think much seperates all them either
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group