Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - The Offensive Line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: 2017 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - The Offensive Line Reply with quote

The little chart below is a depth chart excerpt from the 2017 KC Chiefs Skeleton Depth Chart linked in the database. Throughout the analysis we will use that (continuously updated) chart as a reference point for our considerations.

Color Codes:

black: 2016 player
bold: under contract through 2017
violet: 2016 Practice Squad player
red: Free Agent
green: Draft Pick

RT - Schwartz, Witzmann
RG - Duvernay-Tardif
OC - Morse, Fulton
LG - Ehinger, Reid
LT - Fisher

Other Players: Cheek (OL), Devey (OG), Person (C)

A General Look at the Unit:
After several years of constant rotation this unit is ready to stick together for another year. With a proper mix of seasoned veterans, especially at OT, and younger guys on the inside the OL projects to be one of the more stable units of the team this offseason. While there was some frustration about the inability to gain decisive short yardage in the running game several times this season, the Chiefs' philosophy seems to be focussing more on speed and agility than on power - which makes sense given their overall offensive approach with a lot of pulling OG and downfield blocking. One strength of the unit may be it's depth with two players with starting experience backing up the unit.

The Guys Under Contract:
Eric Fisher overcame his fairly rough start in the pros - and I think he may become one of the better LTs in the League. Locked up for the next 5 years he'll man the position for the foreseeable future. While his contract is the 6th highest among LTs right now, I firmly believe the team's decision to extend him early will pay off big time in the future - not only on the field but also capwise.
Mitchell Schwartz was last year's big name Free Agent. And boy, did he make an impact. For the first time in ages I do not worry leaving the RT out there on an island without constant help, even with murderer's row rushing the passer in the AFC West. His presence allows for much more flexibility for the TE (hello, Mr. Kelce) and the running game.
Laurent Duvernay-Tardif seems to step into Rudy Niswangers shoes - at least concerning his off-field activities. While he continues to work on his Ph.D. he also develops his play to a different level. I really like what I saw from him this year. With just one year left on his contract he might be a candidate for an early extension if some cap is available.
Mitch Morse continues to impress me quite a bit. While he lacks the power Hudson provided (still hate to see him in silver & black), I like his agility and ability to find work even if noone goes up against him directly. I'd love to see him developing more strength though - his relative lack thereof may be one of the reasons why the Chiefs struggle to gain short yardage against heavy packages.
Parker Ehinger probably surprised almost everyone. Fresh out of college he took the starting RG job from Reid and Fulton and, until he went down, never looked back. While he definitely struggled initially, the patience the team showed with him paid off. He continued to improve week-to-week. Provided he's fully recovered by training camp I absolutely expect him to re-take the job for 2017, providing more power than Fulton ever could.
Zach Fulton stepped in for Ehinger. He may be the (literal) weak spot along the line for now. In his third year he still seems to struggle against stronger DL. Nevertheless, I don't consider his performance catastrophic, and with Ehinger back next year, he should revert to his role as a valuable backup for the three inside positions again.
Jah Reid probably was considered a starter when he received his new contract last year. But as he failed to nail down the job, his value is the flexibility to play in four positions along the line. However, does that justify a 3.6 M$ cap number for 2017? I don't think so. As the Chiefs would gain about 2 M$ in cap space by releasing him, I consider him a potential cap casualty.
Bryan Witzmann only saw occasional snaps on offense. He remains a developmental/depth player who may face competition in camp if he is under contract at all. If not I expect the team to try to bring him back.

The PS guys are more or less unknowns. While Devey saw some action this year as an emergency replacement, these guys will not influence the fundamental OL considerations for 2017. What I consider interesting is that the long term PS veterans like Feigt and Pughsley are no longer with the team (for the pre-season at least).

The Guy in Red:
Person was signed to provide depth at Center after Fulton had to step in for Ehinger. He was inactive throughout the season, so he may be back or not.

Cap Considerations:
Jah Reid is the only player to watch for cap relief. I consider him overpaid for the limited role he has. Duvernay-Tardif may be a player to spend some cap on if available.

Overall Assessment:
A solid unit, built to the Chiefs' philosophy of athleticism over power, that will remain intact, with solid depth. If Reid leaves the backup OT position will require some attention. 2017 will be a contract year for Fulton and Duvernay-Tardif, so starting to develop potential replacements in 2017 might be prudent.

Coaching:
Andy Heck is one of the coaches who didn't transfer from Philadelphia when Reid took over. During his four years he's been able to build solid, but not really great lines. Last year he was up to the challenge of playing NINE different formations up front. 2017 will be his first year without a major player rotation in his group. Idid not see any comments suggesting he might be in consideration for a coordinator job elsewhere, thus I'd expect him to stay, providing continuity on the coaching side as well.

2017 OFFENSIVE LINE PROJECTION:

RT - Schwartz, Witzmann
RG - Duvernay-Tardif
OC - Morse, Fulton
LG - Ehinger, mid-late round draft pick
LT - Fisher, third tier FA

Casa Estrellita - my retirement home

Last edited by KC_Guy on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:14 am; edited 2 times in total
mayanfootball

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work Mr. Guy. Thank you.
I agree with your assessments. Our ZBS has fit our RB's for the most part. With Charles gone (?), Ware seems to compliment this just fine. Beyond Ware, I'm quite unsure and would love to see KC draft an RB that fits our system.

Fisher has improved greatly. Schwartz is what the doctor ordered at RT. Ehringer sets us at one OG, while LDT has impressed me this season. He pancaked/rolled a Titan RB out-of-bounds and knocked him out of the game for awhile. It had to hurt.

So I'd like to see KC draft for backup. Fulton is not improving and can be let go IMO. Devey (PS) is terrible from what little i've seen. Replace him. I would not be adverse to losing Reid. Save the Cap space. I've just not been impressed with keeping him. There's too many good, young studs coming out of college to ignore.
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, for a look at the RB check this: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=584067

samsel23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the man KC.

OL has really came together this year and also the first in awhile we won't be losing anyone.

Add a couple versatile guys in the middle rounds and we're already set for next year Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called it - LDT up for a serious extension.

5 yr, 41.25 M$ ... no clue on guarantees and such ... guess bottom line it will be a two to three year deal.

mayanfootball

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:

5 yr, 41.25 M$ ... no clue on guarantees and such ... guess bottom line it will be a two to three year deal.
I saw LDT really bury some guys last season, including a full speed pancake going out of bounds. He's playing well.
valkrei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mayanfootball wrote:
KC_Guy wrote:

I saw LDT really bury some guys last season, including a full speed pancake going out of bounds. He's playing well.

Arrowhead pride says $20mil is the number.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: