Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots Exclusive: Mock V1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justin_perkins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Patriots Exclusive: Mock V1 Reply with quote

Just for fun and to give us all something to think about until the real NFL draft, I present: my first version of a Patriots-only mock draft. I didn't do the write-ups on the players, I got them from CBS. Any questions as to why I made these choices, I would be glad to answer. I think my choices are excellent and would make New England the top dog, once again. I went pretty heavy on offense with six selections there, but 4 of the first 5 were defensive picks.
The defense is getting younger and has rock solid DL depth via draft. There's also a QB I added because, well, why not? I'd rather be in the situation where I'm comfortable either starting Brissett or my other guy at QB after Brady, so developing one can start as soon as Jimmy is gone.
I wish I had hit the run game sooner, but between the two picks on that position I believe the offense will manage just fine until Sa'Quon Barkley is available Laughing
The 9ers send us a developmental LT in this deal I projected. We also get a fourth this year + next. The trade let us get get a massive weapon to pair with Gronkowski. We drafted another starting LB from the SEC. And we also have a guy to step in if Harmon leaves in FA.

1st round, #32 overall- Carl Lawson, DE, Auburn

Quote:
While shorter than scouts would prefer for an edge rusher, Lawson's compact, powerful build makes him a difficult draw for opposing linemen. He possesses the explosive burst to challenge the corner and can overwhelm would-be blockers with strength as a bull-rusher once he senses them leaning. Lawson is quicker to the quarterback than his five career sacks would suggest, accelerating smoothly when he has a clear lane. Lawson's power and balance show up in the running game, where he's often able to lock-out against bigger opponents because of his knee bend, proper arm extension and core strength. He is a powerful tackler, selling out and leaving his feet to explode into ballcarriers. Lawson shows good hand-eye coordination and grip to rip at the ball as when other defenders are in position to make the tackle, forcing three fumbles over his career. He was voted a team captain in 2015 and 2016 and is highly regarded by the Auburn coaching staff for his commitment on and off the field.

TRADE!!!
Patriots trade QB Jimmy Garoppolo to the 49ers for Pick #34 overall, #146, 2018 4th round pick, and OT John Theus

2nd round, #34 overall- Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss

Quote:
While listed as a tight end on the roster, Engram is better described as a versatile offensive weapon, lining up out wide, in-line and in the background at Ole Miss. He looks more like a physical wideout than traditional tight end with his size and growth potential, but his athleticism allows him to create mismatches vs. linebackers and safeties.
Engram has elite short-area quickness for the position with excellent release off the line of scrimmage and agile feet to create separation out of his breaks and make defenders miss. He is also a tougher blocker than he looks with a quick punch and excellent balance.

TRADE!!!
Patriots trade Picks #64 & # 239 to the Cardinals for Pick #77, #120, & #231

3rd round, #77 overall- Dalvin Tomlinson, DL, Alabama

Quote:
Good arm length with power in his large hands. Fires jarring punch into blockers quickly and is in control of the rep. Has good feel for double teams. Broad, powerful hips and strong post leg helps him drop anchor against down blocks. Awareness and power helps him constrict his gaps. Maintains two-gap responsibility until it's time to tackle. Doesn't linger on blocks long. Stacks and sheds with consistency. Locates ball quickly. Recognizes run-direction tendency from certain formations. Long, lateral step allows him to get head-start on blocker and prevent being reached. Quality motor and effort. Chases outside his area like he expects to make the play. Willing to do dirty work in Alabama's twisting defensive scheme. Does outstanding job of occupying both blockers on twists. Active hands in passing lane to bat down passes.

3rd round, #96 overall- Kendell Beckwith, LB, LSU

Quote:
Big throwback frame with ability to bang between the tackles. Has experience in the middle with both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes. Takes well-reasoned paths to the ball. Won't get caught rushing downhill without a plan. Will down into guards as pre-emptive strike before they combo up to him. Maintains his run fits and leverages his gap with an aggressive forearm shiver to short-pulling guards and isolation blockers. Hands are quick with some shock. Can unlock a surprising closing burst to close out on the perimeter. Eyes are disciplined. Good read and respond but plays the game with patience. Body control a plus. Won't always be pretty but he gets guys tackled. Awareness in space and overall football IQ is above average. Able to find receivers working through his coverage area. Reads quarterback's eyes helping him drift toward targets.

3rd round, #103 overall- Jordan Willis, DE, Kansas State

Quote:
Good eyes vs. zone read; sees mesh point clearly. Quick responder once he diagnoses the action. Excellent change of direction ability to stay in the hunt. Finishes tackles, rarely allowing runners to escape grasp. Pursuit will not stop until the whistle blows. Proficient with hands. Hands are strong and control the action. Well-schooled with excellent stack-and-shed ability. Good strength in base and plays with adequate contact balance. Stays clean setting edge while spying into backfield. Uses blockers' forward lean against them, sends them tumbling forward. Arm over is a pet move that gives him early wins. Track-stance pass rusher who comes out of the blocks with decent burst to the edge. Hard worker. Productive in sacks and forced fumbles over final two seasons at KSU.

4th round, #120 overall- Corey Clement, RB, Wisconsin

Quote:
Corey Clement is a twitched up athlete who quickly gets up field. He has the burst needed to press the hole and reach the second level of the defense. His overall speed also gives him home-run potential and big-play ability.
Clement also has a knack for making himself thin and working through traffic. He doesn’t feature great size, but runs with some power thanks to his low pad level and the fact he keeps his feet moving. His experience at Wisconsin has more than prepared him to work between the tackles.

4th round, #137 overall- Jon Toth, C, Kentucky

Quote:
Good size for center with enough length and agility to project outside to guard for zone-blocking schemes. Possesses a broad-shouldered rangy frame with plenty of room for additional muscle mass. Technically sound pass protector who can absorb bull rushers due to his knee bend and core flexibility and uses good hand placement and foot shuffling to effectively corral opponents. Experince shows in his awareness when adjusting to twists and surprise blitzers. Shows excellent initial quickness in his snap and pop to defensive tackles, including in down blocks. Possesses the body control and speed to release from blocks at the line of scrimmage and climb to the second level, where he shows awareness and vision to locate and latch onto opponents. Looks for work when not covered. Keeps his head on a swivel and plays on the balls of his feet, quickly sliding to assist the guards. Smart, durable player who handles all of the line calls. Has played in 49 career games with an NCAA-best 48 consecutive starts (including the TaxSlayer Bowl vs. Georgia Tech) to cap his career.

5th round, #146 overall- Davis Webb, QB, California

Quote:
Tall, light-footed athlete with lean limbs, but workable body type. NFL arm strength and spins a pretty football without much effort. Quick, clean delivery motion. Beautiful touch on fades and bucket throws. Quick mental processor to make efficient whole field reads when he doesn't pre-determine his targets. Comfortable in the pocket, but also shows the athletic movements to slide and float away from pressure -- enough mobility to scramble for the sticks. Owns the make-up and leadership traits that coaches covet and was voted a team captain a few weeks after arriving at Cal. Son of a high school head coach and grew up with a playbook in his hands, learning concepts and situations. Lives in the film room and shows the necessary thirst for knowledge and effort. Set the Cal single season records for passing attempts (620) and completions (382) -- also tied Goff's record for total touchdowns in a season (43).

5th round, #163 overall- Treston DeCoud, DB, Oregon State

Quote:
Has outstanding size with long arms. Recognizes misdirection and plays with decent football instincts. Patient feet from press coverage. Can be physical through the route. Quick to body up and crowd an outside release against the sideline. Experienced in a variety of coverage. Held talented Cal wideout, Chad Hansen, to just four catches for sixteen yards. Eyeballs quarterback from zone and has good response time relative to quarterback's release. Aggressive tackler who steps downhill looking to finish in run support. Works off of blocks and into tackle position. Drives into his target, wraps, and tackles.

5th round, #183 overall- Jamari Staples, WR, Louisville

Quote:
Staples looks the part of an NFL receiver with a tall tapered and athletic frame including broad shoulders and long arms. He shows good suddenness as a route-runner, exploding out of his stance to eat up the cushion and accelerating fluidly downfield. Staples has good core flexibility and balance to leave corners guessing at his intentions and he changes directions quickly, creating separation with sharp routes. He shows explosiveness as a leaper, bursting into the air and using his long arms to pluck passes far over his head. He shows reliable hands to easily capture the ball from outside of his frame, as well as the ability to track it over his shoulder. Staples shows awareness and competitiveness as a downfield blocker, squaring up opponents and working to sustain blocks for teammates.

7th round, #231 overall- Rushel Shell, RB, WVU

Quote:
Shell had big expectations as a five-star recruit heading to Pitt in 2012, coming off a high school All-American career where he set the Pennsylvania state record with 9,078 yards and 110 touchdowns. After one season with the Panthers (141-641, four TDs rushing; 9-103 receiving), Shell decided to transfer. He was prevented from going with Todd Graham, who left Pitt for Arizona State, and then committed to UCLA. But at the last minute Shell wanted to stay close to home to be around his young twin daughters. Once new head coach Paul Chryst stated Shell would not be welcomed back, Shell moved on to West Virginia. He redshirted in 2013, and then led the Mountaineers in rushing (176-788, seven TDs), contributed as a receiver (21-140) while starting eight of 12 games played. Shell only started three games in 2015 (161-708, eight TDs rushing; 16-101 receiving) and only suited up for 10 games as a senior (113-514, five TDs rushing; 12-100 receiving) while fighting an ankle injury.

I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really love those first four picks Justin. Don't know near enough about the players taken after that to give an opinion but I love the SEC and think those four players could really make a difference, especially the ones we add to the front 7. The TE would be a nice toy and depth. Very nicely done.

Red Sox, Pistons, Tar Heels Basketball, Crimson Tide Football, Bruins Hockey, Tottenham Hotspur
*Adopt a Sox: Andrew Benintendi*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: