You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lunatic Mock #2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Lunatic Mock #2 Reply with quote

Roster Moves
Cuts
Lance Kendricks - TE
Eugene Sims - DE
Rodger Saffold - OL
Tim Barnes - OL

These cuts seem to be mostly common place at this point, other than Saffold who now has some supports to give him another chance. I understand that notion, but when it comes down to it, Saffold doesnt have the mentality or skills that I want out of my OLine, especially when they are going to be blocking for Todd Gurley. I think there are plenty of guys who can play better at Guard (or at the least be a better fit) and fill in at OT, all while having less concerns in the health department.

Let Walk
TJ McDonald - SS
Kenny Britt - WR
Case Keenum - QB
Brian Quick - WR
Cam Thomas - DT
Chase Reynolds - RB

Again, these are all pretty standard at this point. I would love to hang onto TJ, but hes going to be too expensive for that SS position. As well as I have made my case why Tru is the DB we need to sign. Kenny needs to go cash in elsewhere, dont want that attitude when we have clearly made a big effort in developing Goff. And I have changed my stance on the ST guys, I think there is an edge to be had there, but Im not sure how to exploit it at this point, so we can replace Chase for cheaper.

Re-Sign
Trumaine Johnson - CB
Benny Cunningham - RB
Greg Zuerlein - K
Dominique Easley - DL (RFA)
Ethan Westbrooks - DL (RFA)
Matt Longacre - DL (ERFA)

Mentioned earlier, we need to keep Tru. This defense is in trouble, and basically a mini rebuild if we loose him (an dont replace him with that level, that Im not sure is out there for us to get). I do conceed that we dont need to pay him as much as I originally thought, all these CB deals are way back loaded anyway (I feel like more than other positions). Benny is a real solid #2, and good compliment, but again, we dont need to pay him as much as originally thought. There is no reason to not grab all the RFAs and ERFAs we still have control over for now. Easley is the only true impact guy, but the others may be valuable backups.

Pos. Changes
Greg Robinson LT -> OG
Lamarcus Joyner CB -> FS

More of the same we have seen in alot of these Mocks. But some of you are starting to leave Greg at LT. I would not feel good about that. I hope he can be resurrected and a decent lineman for us. But I just dont want to chance Goff's development on the hope that Greg can hold up. I think its Joyner that I am leaning to keeping him at his current spot. I think he can be a darn good FS, but he has shown that he can be a good CB too. I think it depends on how the rest of the offseason goes. We can make something work at FS, if we deplete the CB depth and dont replace him, it could really hurt us.

Trade
Rams Receive: Desmond Bryant-DL + Cameron Erving-OL
Browns Receive: William Hayes-DL + Mark Barron-LB

Another familiar move in Rams forum Mocks, but I think we can make out on this trade alittle better than originally thought. Wiliams loves his guys (most predict the Browns to sign TJ) so the 2 guys that really let him run his stule of defense, who also happen to not fit our style anymore seem like a great fit for a trade. As for who we are getting back, I stole the Bryant idea from jrry back when, and I think he still would be a great pickup, and for a guy coming off injury we are taking the risk there. But to combat us giving them 2 starters, we get the young Offensive Lineman who the Browns havent been able to figure out how to use. Is he a Center? Is he a Tackle? They dont know, and neither do I, but just getting some talent along the OL is needed, and Erving is the start to that process.

Free Agency
Kevin Zeitler - OL
jrry started this wave, and it has turned into a typhoon around here. he is just such a good fit, and I agree very much, the Interior OL is much more important to build from. His versatility is what makes this signing so much sense. Not only do we need 3 new Interior Lineman, but right now we are counting on Greg to be one of the 5 starts, that might not be the case. There will be alot of teams after KZ, he is the one to crack open that piggy bank for.

DeSean Jackson - WR
Many are linking djax back to Philly, and Im sure he would be interested. But McVay will be the guy to know if we should be going after him. He is on the down side of his career, but he can still produce at a high level. ANd he would be a piece we could get and not have to commit too many years to. As a transitional #1 WR until we can draft a young guy (or better options hit the FA market) this is the best we could hope for.

Kelvin Beachum - OT
I still really want Whitworth, but he is probably going to be signing with more of a contender for the last years of his carrer. But I think this is where the Rams, as a team in transition, take advantage of the quarks of Free Agency. Beachum thought he could cash in with the Jags, and he wasnt great, but he was still good enough. He isnt the perfect fit for what we likely want to do with this OL, but I think this going to be a 1 year deal. Overpay him a bit for this year while he rebuilds his stock and he can cash in next year before he hits 30.

Sylvester Williams - DT
Much like Beachum, I think this will me a market inefficiency. Williams who didnt get his 5th year option picked up, will likely want to sign a big deal, but most teams wont see that type of value in him. Wade knows where his value is, and we can pull the Nick Fairley, using his expiring cap space next year for Donald. Sliding SW into the NT spot will set the defense to be most effective.

Kayvon Webster - CB
And we continue with the Wade Davis portion of this mock (which is not over). Securing our Top CB in bringing back Tru, we still need someone to lineup opposite him. Its not going to be EJ, and Joyner is a maybe but could be better elsewhere, and honestly I think most of the Corners in the draft are going to be over drafted this year.Webster is a guy who has time in this defense, he isnt going to be a shutdown guy, but I dont think we are finding another shutdown Corner this year.

Dakoda Watson - LB
Another guy who knows this defense, can help with the transition, and who can be depth at multiple spots on this defense and even be a starter if need be. Another solid pickup for Wade.

Mike Williams - CB
One last guy who has ties to Wade, and was probably best under him. He is coming off an injury, but was still in line for a shot at a starting spot going into last year. Williams may be a nothing signing coming off that injury, but we have a competition for the #2 CB spot, and if he's healthy, Williams might be a surprise.

Jarvis Jones - LB
I know that the resurgence if he is teamed up with Tree is a pipe dream, just let me have it. At the least he could be more solid depth on the switch to the 34 front. But how sweet would it be if he got it back?

Aldric Robinson - WR
We are pulling LaFluer, I wouldnt be shocked to see some Falcons as well. But we will probably be competing with Shanny in San Fran for those guys. But I think with the QB situation better than the Niners, and the chances to get some balls, we could be a soft landing spot for Robinson, who wont command a whole lot, as he has yet to actually produce.

Livine Toilolo - TE
Same as with Robinson, another weapon to add to this new offense. Neither of these guys will likely be a long term solutions, but they are decent depth for now, and likely signings we could see.

NFL Draft
R1)TRADE
#IbeliveinJaredGoff

R2)T.J. Watt-LB Wisconsin
OK, so I have taken a deep dive on Watt, annnnd I love him. He is going to be a stud, and if we could have Quinn & Watt on the edges coming off of Brockers and Donald, we suddenly have a scary Front 7 again. I know we need a #1 Receving option, but there likely wont be that stud here. I know we probably still need another CB, but I think the guys worth this pick and even around this range will have gone in the late 1st. And I really know we still need OL help (althought that has been mitigated at this point of the offeseason I have put together) but the more tape I watch on thes Lineman this year, the less impressed I am. But with T.J Watt, he will always be better than solid in every facet of the game, and he shows flashes of things his brother does. That is a talent that has slipped too far, and we just need to jump on talent with this pick. What is really crazy is hearing JJ Watt say "I watched him do things this year, and kept saying to myself, I couldnt do that at his age". I want that!

R3)Ryan Anderson-LB Alabama
A bit unconventional, but having this full elite Front 7 is what is going to drive this team in the short term (Goff & Gurley in the long term). Anderson is a favorite of some, other dont think he has what it takes to be a pass rusher in the NFL, and I actually agree with that. But I also agree with what Nick Saban said about him, the smart teams will see that he is more of an 34 ILB and can be very dangerous from that position. He can cover, chase, stuff and rush from the inside. He doesnt do really any of that at an elite level, but he does it all very well, which is why I think he slips a bit in the draft (no true position + no elite qualities). But his versatility along with for a lack of a better term, Saban-ness is a guy I want to be part of this defense.

C3)TRADE
#IbeliveinJaredGoff

R4)John Toth-OL Kentucky
Been driving this Toth-train from the begining (which means it will never happen) but I really beleive we just need to keep adding talent to this group. This scinario is a bit different having added in Cam Erving, but I think in the long run Toth is the guy who can be the anchor in the middle of an OL that can once again show that Todd Gurley is the stud we know he is. Having Zeitler and Erving lets Toth earn that spot, instead of just being tossed in there.

C4)Roderick Johnson-OL Florida State
This might seem like sort of an odd pickup, but Like I just said, keep adding talent. Rod is a St. Louis area kid who I have seen for a long time. He underwhelmed at FSU, but man he has some great talent and tools. I think he can be thought to be a great lineman, but thankfully he is a guy available in the middle of Day 2, not someone we have to spend a Top 10 pick on. Some may think we are still getting a starter at this pick, but that is unlikely, so Like I have said all draft, grab the talent that is dropping, as this whole roster need some infusion of talent.

R5)Eddie Jackson-S Alabama
I like alot of what EJ has done in college, I dont know if he will ever be a great player, but I know he knows what he is doing on the field (Saban-ness) And he is a guy who can even slide to CB in a desperation situation, but for the most part he would be a good backup Safety (maybe grow into a solid starter) and probably a leader on ST.

R6)Mack Hollins-WR North Carolina
Tools, Tools, Tools. Not many guys Look as much like a prototype WR in this draft as Mack does. He has nowhere near lived up to that, but he has showwn a few flashes in college. Maybe we get lightning in a bottle?

C6)Des Lawrence-CB North Carolina
Im still on Des, like what he does and would be a solid depth CB. Never really look for him to be a starter, but could be the #4 or even #3 guy if he really pulls it together.

R7)Josh Agusta-DL Mizzou
More decent depth hopefully. Switching to Wades 34, I think Agusta is a really good fit. His athleticism is very underrated, but could be the perfect fit for Wades 34.

Depth Chart
QB J Goff S Mannion
RB T Gurley B Cunningham M Brown
WR D Jackson A Robinson M Hollins
WR T Austin P Cooper M Thomas
TE T Higbee L Toilolo C Harkey(FB)
LT K Beachum R Johnson
LG G Robinson J Brown
C C Erving J Toth
RG K Zeitler C Wichmann
RT R Havenstein

LE M Brockers D Bryant
NT S Williams J Agusta
RE A Donald D Easley
OLB R Quinn J Jones
ILB A Ogletree J Forrest
ILB R Anderson D Watson
OLB T.J. Watt M Longacre
CB T Johnson EJ Gaines
SS M Alexander C Davis
FS L Joyner E Jackson
CB K Webster M Williams D Lawrence
RamPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lunatic Mock #2 Reply with quote

nice work! I like how we really solidified our offensive line and really stacked our defense here.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a huge fan of the draft. JMO, this draft is loaded with CB talent and to not come away with one until the 6th round is something I cant get behind. I like most of FA though.

1. Corey Davis, WR, WMU
2. Forrest Lamp, G/C, WKU
3. Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss
4. JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
chris00cm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think Erving is a bit of a stretch in the Browns trade.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very interesting take. I was going to criticize the Anderson pick, but after reading your idea to move him to ILB, I think that's pretty inspired actually. I'm a person who doesn't see him as an impact rusher outside, but he'd be a really nice thumper at ILB. I love T.J. Watt. No need to expand. Eddie Jackson is a really nice grab. Think the depth of the safety class and his injury have him undervalued right now.

I like Toth (as you know). Hollins has been in a few of my mocks. He should be a studly special teamer and can play a vertical threat role as a WR.(it's nice to have core special teamers who can contribute on offense or defense)

Rod Johnson might be my only minor complaint. He fits what Kromer looks for in OLs, but he has poor balance and plays with his weight over his toes. That's a really bad combo. We could hope that Kromer can fix him. That's possible, but he had a good OL Coach in Rick Trickett in college. I might be more tempted to go after a different developmental OT who didn't have the resources that Johnson did. I'm not saying it's a bad pick. Kromer might fix the kid. But I'm not ecstatic over it.

Also, I guess I have one more. Count me as a hard no on Josh Augusta. He has looked fat and out of shape all year. He's moved like a slug because of it. He showed athleticism in the past when his weight was under control, but I don't trust the kid. His weight ballooned this year, and he couldn't even get it together for his post-season all star game.

Also, I think you mean Mike Jenkins (not Mike Williams). Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot in here I really like and some of it I've used in my mocks and will use again moving forward. I think this sets the team up very nicely moving forward.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Count me as a hard no on Josh Augusta. He has looked fat and out of shape all year. He's moved like a slug because of it. He showed athleticism in the past when his weight was under control, but I don't trust the kid. His weight ballooned this year, and he couldn't even get it together for his post-season all star game.

Make that two of us. I'd actually sooner take a flier on Stevie LBCisPartPacificIslanderAndEvenICantSpellHisNameCorrectly out of USC if we're looking for a run-stuffer type who has the tools to blossom into more in a Phillips-Burroughs scheme. There are some really similar traits there to Sylvester Williams who Wade managed to turn into a productive starter.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
This is a very interesting take. I was going to criticize the Anderson pick, but after reading your idea to move him to ILB, I think that's pretty inspired actually. I'm a person who doesn't see him as an impact rusher outside, but he'd be a really nice thumper at ILB.
I really liked the idea when I heard it. And while Ill take the praise for implementing this in my mock, Ill continue to credit Nick Saban as where I first heard it. As an Edge player, Anderson is not something to be desired in the NFL (probably a late 4th round talent). But if you move in inside, all the things he is good at, are magnified, and his deficiencies can be masked.

Quote:
Rod Johnson might be my only minor complaint. He fits what Kromer looks for in OLs, but he has poor balance and plays with his weight over his toes. That's a really bad combo. We could hope that Kromer can fix him. That's possible, but he had a good OL Coach in Rick Trickett in college. I might be more tempted to go after a different developmental OT who didn't have the resources that Johnson did. I'm not saying it's a bad pick. Kromer might fix the kid. But I'm not ecstatic over it.
All very fair, and Ill admit I am not blind to the holes in his game, but I do see them with beer goggles. As I know the guy and like him and think he will be a real solid lineman. But I think this pick is more to the point of, this pick was to reinforce the need and effort to fortify the offensive line. Pickup up an undervalued, versatile guy in the middle of the draft and coach him up that maybe we get a better than average LT.

Kinda wish Ty Nsekhe was a UFA not an RFA and we could know where we are going at LT this offseason

Quote:
Also, I guess I have one more. Count me as a hard no on Josh Augusta. He has looked fat and out of shape all year. He's moved like a slug because of it. He showed athleticism in the past when his weight was under control, but I don't trust the kid. His weight ballooned this year, and he couldn't even get it together for his post-season all star game.
Yea, i can see what you are saying. And sure Im being a homer with that pickup, but I also know that Mizzou lineman have talent that just needs to be tapped into (seen it all over the league). But you are correct, the weight in the all star game is a cause for cencern.

Quote:
Also, I think you mean Mike Jenkins (not Mike Williams). Wink
HA! you dont think Williams could come back and line up at Corner?

But yes I did mean Jenkins. And this lets me answer another point. I get we all want to get that other CB, and many are going to the draft for a young guy. But I will say again, we cant fix every hole in the roster in one year. So I chose to patch CB, WR, TE and Safety while prioritizing fixing the OL and turning the Front 7 back into our biggest strength.

Thats just the path I took, there are other approaches that are just as viable, and arguably better. And we have seen those on this forum, I just think these two areas (the trenches) are the most important building blocks for this offseason.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: