Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How does this chargers draft look so far

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: How does this chargers draft look so far Reply with quote

This is what I have so far in the BDP GM Mock Draft

1. Jamaal Adams
2. Deshaun Watson
3. Julie'n Davenport
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How does this chargers draft look so far Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:

1. Jamaal Adams
2. Deshaun Watson
3. Julie'n Davenport

It looks good. I don't know how realistic it is compared to what Telesco and co are likely to pull out. Davenport fits what Pat Meyer (assuming he shares similar philosophy the OL coach he followed around the NFL for the past 4+ seasons, Aaron Kromer) covets in the position. A 3 could be a bit early for him, but we're also talking pre-combine, and I know some guys who were saying that if he was playing for even in Storm Norton's position and had been playing for Toledo, he'd be in Top 2 round consideration right now.

Watson fits and he doesn't. The value is good, but Phil's going to see out his contract - it's just who he is. So, assuming Watson comes good, we're talking getting the benefit of 1 year of rookie deal benefit on the books and no 5th year option, and he'd be being evaluated on his first year starting (presumably) which would also be a contract year before expecting a, historically, massive payday. This is why, for all the people that have consistently said, "We need to draft the heir apparent," they need to look at contracts (the model is actually there if you look at other successful teams - the Pats in particular have followed this pattern like clockwork) and when they expire. Typically two years removed from when your franchise QB is set to see his contract expire, you draft a guy as insurance so that if he comes good and you need to go to him as your permanent starter, you've got two seasons of paying your starter low salaries to "get your financial affairs in order" at your other money positions/contracts so that paying your QB the contract he expects (or franchising him if you have to buy more time to negotiate) is feasible without forcing you to go into restructuring hell or let other high-end free agentson your team walk because you can't afford them.

Adams is the one of the two top safety prospects I'd prefer if forced to take one for this team. But... I just struggle seeing this front office actually execute a 1st round pick spent on a safety - it just doesn't vibe with what they've consistently shown to be their M.O. Also, if I'm being honest, if Ingram is let to walk (which he should be if he's demanding anything close to $10m per), the team really does need another option at the LEO/9-Tech spot because Bosa is just too damn good a fit at the 4-Tech spot to merit moving. And the falloff at the safety position (particularly in terms of ceiling) is far less steep from the surefire 1st round guys (Adams, Hooker) to the likely Day 2 guys (Baker, Williams, Thompson, Maye, King) than it is for the EDGE/pass-rusher guys from the surefire 1st round guys like Thomas, Allen, Barnett, Tak, and McDowell (Garrett's in a league of his own and the Chargers won't get a whiff of him) and the likely Day 2 guys (Lawson, Anderson, Basham - though I do like him a lot, Willis, Walker, Watt, and Williams) with the exception of Charles Harris and Tim Williams (1st round ability, Day 3 - at best - drug history and this FO won't touch him).

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How does this chargers draft look so far Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:

1. Jamaal Adams
2. Deshaun Watson
3. Julie'n Davenport

It looks good. I don't know how realistic it is compared to what Telesco and co are likely to pull out. Davenport fits what Pat Meyer (assuming he shares similar philosophy the OL coach he followed around the NFL for the past 4+ seasons, Aaron Kromer) covets in the position. A 3 could be a bit early for him, but we're also talking pre-combine, and I know some guys who were saying that if he was playing for even in Storm Norton's position and had been playing for Toledo, he'd be in Top 2 round consideration right now.

Watson fits and he doesn't. The value is good, but Phil's going to see out his contract - it's just who he is. So, assuming Watson comes good, we're talking getting the benefit of 1 year of rookie deal benefit on the books and no 5th year option, and he'd be being evaluated on his first year starting (presumably) which would also be a contract year before expecting a, historically, massive payday. This is why, for all the people that have consistently said, "We need to draft the heir apparent," they need to look at contracts (the model is actually there if you look at other successful teams - the Pats in particular have followed this pattern like clockwork) and when they expire. Typically two years removed from when your franchise QB is set to see his contract expire, you draft a guy as insurance so that if he comes good and you need to go to him as your permanent starter, you've got two seasons of paying your starter low salaries to "get your financial affairs in order" at your other money positions/contracts so that paying your QB the contract he expects (or franchising him if you have to buy more time to negotiate) is feasible without forcing you to go into restructuring hell or let other high-end free agentson your team walk because you can't afford them.

Adams is the one of the two top safety prospects I'd prefer if forced to take one for this team. But... I just struggle seeing this front office actually execute a 1st round pick spent on a safety - it just doesn't vibe with what they've consistently shown to be their M.O. Also, if I'm being honest, if Ingram is let to walk (which he should be if he's demanding anything close to $10m per), the team really does need another option at the LEO/9-Tech spot because Bosa is just too damn good a fit at the 4-Tech spot to merit moving. And the falloff at the safety position (particularly in terms of ceiling) is far less steep from the surefire 1st round guys (Adams, Hooker) to the likely Day 2 guys (Baker, Williams, Thompson, Maye, King) than it is for the EDGE/pass-rusher guys from the surefire 1st round guys like Thomas, Allen, Barnett, Tak, and McDowell (Garrett's in a league of his own and the Chargers won't get a whiff of him) and the likely Day 2 guys (Lawson, Anderson, Basham - though I do like him a lot, Willis, Walker, Watt, and Williams) with the exception of Charles Harris and Tim Williams (1st round ability, Day 3 - at best - drug history and this FO won't touch him).

I think the Front Office will ask for high input from the new coaching staff, an if Bradley sees Thomas or Chancellor in Hooker or adams, I don't think they hesitate to take one of the safeties.

in rd 2 getting watson to groom behind rivers is key, and when he takes over, hopefully he makes that impact we desire from a qb sitting behind a franchise qb. In real life, I think we could get Mahomes in rd 2 and I'd be thrilled if we did that.

Davenport was the best available and I had to pull the trigger. My pick in rd 4 is coming up. BDP didn't do FA with this one. PM me the route I should go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: