Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Honest Assessment of AJ McCarron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Honest Assessment of AJ McCarron Reply with quote

"Multiple" NFL executives say they prefer A.J. McCarron over Jimmy Garoppolo and Tony Romo (@MoveTheSticks).

His name keeps coming up in the offseason and Chicago has started to discuss him as it seems the Browns are going to big stack us on Jimmy G.

What is uour honest assessment of him?

-is he an NFL starter?
-does he have the physical tools?
-has he matured since Alabama where he had an attitude?
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he can be a middle tier QB. He has shown he can play.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has all of the intangibles, which is why our fanbase is divided on him and dalton. I think AJ just needs more reps to get polished, so to speak. With some reps, Ii think his ceiling is around the top 10-12, and his floor will be around top 20.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he would be a solid starter. Not a top tier guy, but I don't think he will bust out either. Worth a 1st rounder, no...but I have seen worse trades for QBs than a pick in the 2nd day for him

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a lack of elite physical tools that will keep him from being a top 10 QB?
sparky151

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCarron has good intangibles and a history of stepping up in big games. His arm is average for a pro QB. He's easily more talented than folks like Matt Schaub or Ryan Fitzpatrick who have held NFL starting jobs.

For the Bears, he'd probably be an upgrade from Cutler. Less arm strength but better decision making and better able to rally his team mates.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky151 wrote:
McCarron has good intangibles and a history of stepping up in big games. His arm is average for a pro QB. He's easily more talented than folks like Matt Schaub or Ryan Fitzpatrick who have held NFL starting jobs.

For the Bears, he'd probably be an upgrade from Cutler. Less arm strength but better decision making and better able to rally his team mates.

You could go to a rehab centre of a teen moms center and find better decision makers than Cutler.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
sparky151 wrote:

You could go to a rehab centre of a teen moms center and find better decision makers than Cutler.

If it were me, I'd take McCarron over Kizer for sure, Trubisky for sure, and it would be a toss-up with Watson. As for trades, I think every NE backup gets way overblown/overhyped, but Garrapolo could be decent. I guess it's the media's love of BB. Either way, I think McCarron is as good as Jimmy G but comes at a much lower price. having said that, I'm not trading him away for anything less than a second rounder. if that second rounder is after ouras, the trade has to include a day three pick as well. As for Jimmy G, there's no way I'm giving up a first rounder for him.
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the report on the Bears being interested in McCarron, but as a fallback option, because right now it seems they are more interested in Garapollo and Romo as there top choices. I doubt they end up drafting a QB with the 3rd overall pick either. Literally, the Bears have been the first team I've seen this offseason show any interest in McCarron so far.

Not much to tell about McCarron because the odvious. Game Manager at best. He needs the right talent around him, and I'm not sure the Bears would be the best landing spot for him. I didn't really watch them last year though, so I'm sure you would know better than me.

2nd or 3rd round pick is what he's worth.
sparky151

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think McCarron is more than a game manager. He went to Denver on Monday night late in 2015 and had a couple of long TD drives against a good defense that was playing for the #1 seed. He certainly played better vs Denver than Cam Newton did a month later and Cam was league MVP that year.
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCarron has matured since his days at Alabama. He is a solid QB, and has a little fire in his gut. He doesn't have ideal size, or elite arm strength, but he is probably a little more than just a "Game Manager".
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky151 wrote:

Most overrated QB trait of all time. His arm is fine, btw. Probably better than Dalton's, which is more than serviceable.

Truth is, we haven't seen enough of McCarron to know how good he can really be. He didn't shrivel up in 2015, but that's about all we know. So there's promise there. The 7.2 YPA is probably his most promising statistic. He's not afraid to push the ball downfield, something a lot of young QB's don't know how to do.

~T.S. Eliot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: