You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Romo for JJ Watt who says no?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/1/23/14345838/understanding-tony-romos-contract-trade-release-cut-backup-dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-salary-cap

Good breakdown of Romo's contract

Kiltman on the sig & avy
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/1/23/14345838/understanding-tony-romos-contract-trade-release-cut-backup-dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-salary-cap

Good breakdown of Romo's contract
That writer seems confused. He talks about how the critical number for Romo's contract is the $14 mil base salary for this year and how if they trade/cut him they won't have to pay that. While that's true, he then turns around and compares that $14 mil base salary to the cap hits for six players on your roster this year. Cutting or trading Romo won't save the Cowboys $14 mil in cap space (unless they cut him post June 1st), it will only save Jerry from having to pay that $14 mil to Romo. How it works cap wise is different from the actual money being paid out though. Romo's prorated bonus for 2017, 2018 & 2019 must be accounted for. So cutting or trading Romo only saves the Cowboys $5.1 mil if he's cut pre June 1st, or they can spread it out and cut him Post June 1st, then they save $14 mil. There's no way to trade Romo and get $14 mil in cap space.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Action Jackson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No because if the Texans are willing to trade Watt something is wrong with him. If he will be fine then no chance in hell the Texans trade the best defensive player in the NFL who is in his prime. The Texans will be able to get Romo without giving Watt away if they want Romo.

EL ramster on the sig!
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldnt the Texans go for Romo and a 1st for Watt? They too have a window...throw in a Romo for a couple years with that D and good WR core and a decent running game and it makes too much sense...that is prob why it wont happen...because it makes too much sense...both teams can re-neg both contracts to be more cap friendly.

Peace
blankman0021

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sodakcowboy78 wrote:
Why wouldnt the Texans go for Romo and a 1st for Watt? They too have a window...throw in a Romo for a couple years with that D and good WR core and a decent running game and it makes too much sense...that is prob why it wont happen...because it makes too much sense...both teams can re-neg both contracts to be more cap friendly.

Peace

This trade makes zero sense.

As it is right now...

Texans Receive:
-Romo at 54M/3yr salary.
-Low 1st round pick
-Salary cap penalty of 20.M dollars in 2017.

Cowboys Receive:
-Watt at 67.5M/5yr salary.
-Salary cap savings of 5.1M in 2017.

I think we can put this to rest based on that 20M cap hit the texans would take. Even if you do a post June 1 trade it ends up being 14.5M in 2017 with the rest prorated to 2018. Just won't happen for an old QB. It's Romo we're talking about here, not Tom Brady.
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if so many teams want Romo, how is it that he has no apparent trade value? I'm not buying it. I'm thinking we'll get at least a 2nd rd pick for Tony if JJ holds on to him and doesn't do something stupid.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
So if so many teams want Romo, how is it that he has no apparent trade value? I'm not buying it. I'm thinking we'll get at least a 2nd rd pick for Tony if JJ holds on to him and doesn't do something stupid.

Teams want Romo. That isn't even debatable, imo. Houston, Denver, KC...I have zero doubt they want him. They don't want to trade for him which is the crux here.

It's probably best for Dallas to play hard ball with Romo and teams interested in him. Either he's traded. Or, he's the best compensated backup in NFL history. Problem there is, Jerry won't do that to Romo.

Kiltman on the sig & avy
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:

Teams want Romo. That isn't even debatable, imo. Houston, Denver, KC...I have zero doubt they want him. They don't want to trade for him which is the crux here.

It's probably best for Dallas to play hard ball with Romo and teams interested in him. Either he's traded. Or, he's the best compensated backup in NFL history. Problem there is, Jerry won't do that to Romo.

I agree...I think they should hold on to him until someone makes an offer. I, however, don't feel that we are doing anything bad to him. He has been more than compensated for our right to hold on to him until someone makes a reasonable offer. He has close to $20mil in his bank account that he hasn't earned yet.

I wouldn't let him go for anything less than a 2.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:

I agree...I think they should hold on to him until someone makes an offer. I, however, don't feel that we are doing anything bad to him. He has been more than compensated for our right to hold on to him until someone makes a reasonable offer. He has close to $20mil in his bank account that he hasn't earned yet.

My thoughts exactly. We paid good money, and will continue to pay, to be able to do whatever the hell we want with him. We don't owe him anything. I don't feel sorry for Tony Romo. The guy is unimaginably rich, good looking, has a beautiful wife, a mansion, and kids. He signed the contract too. Surely he understands the business side of football as well.

And if we are "nice" to Tony and let him walk for nothing, it's going to hurt real bad when he beats us with his handpicked team. We need to do what BB did with Jamie Collins and send Romo to the Browns for a 4th. Done.
CowboysFan96

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:

My thoughts exactly. We paid good money, and will continue to pay, to be able to do whatever the hell we want with him. We don't owe him anything. I don't feel sorry for Tony Romo. The guy is unimaginably rich, good looking, has a beautiful wife, a mansion, and kids. He signed the contract too. Surely he understands the business side of football as well.

And if we are "nice" to Tony and let him walk for nothing, it's going to hurt real bad when he beats us with his handpicked team. We need to do what BB did with Jamie Collins and send Romo to the Browns for a 4th. Done.

I agree with this 100%
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:

I think we could get at least a 2 from Cle and I don't care how Tony "feels" about it.
CT Cowboy Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of the rumored teams that want Romo are KC and Denver, division rivals. Why not leak that one of them offered a 2nd round pick and then let the bidding begin. One of the two might get antsy and actually offer something because they don't want their division foe getting Romo. A healthy Romo put either of those two teams over the top in the division and an instant contender in the conference.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT Cowboy Fan wrote:
Two of the rumored teams that want Romo are KC and Denver, division rivals. Why not leak that one of them offered a 2nd round pick and then let the bidding begin. One of the two might get antsy and actually offer something because they don't want their division foe getting Romo. A healthy Romo put either of those two teams over the top in the division and an instant contender in the conference.

as I said already, any bidding WAR helps drive up the price tag. I am wondering though will teams be more interested before or after the draft?
cowboyfanin2890

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resilient wrote:
CT Cowboy Fan wrote:

as I said already, any bidding WAR helps drive up the price tag. I am wondering though will teams be more interested before or after the draft?

I think if either of these 2 teams was interested it would happen sooner rather than later. KC needs a QB of the future but they have a team built to win now and Denver has young QB's but their defense is dominant. I think KC would be a great choice for Romo to play out his remaining years.

Thanks to Uncle Buck on the sig

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: