Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pittsburgh Steelers release Justin Gilbert
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 63467
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
I pretty much fell out of my chair when this pick was made by the Browns. With Joe Haden in his prime, why would you draft a CB in the Top 10 and pass on Barr smh



???

I mean, I was a huge Anthony Barr fan coming out, but he wasnt a slam dunk prospect, either.

And Haden was all they had at CB. I respect if you didnt like Gilbert, but there is plenty of logic behind taking a CB you like high to pair with another really good corner. Can never have too many quality corners in the NFL....and they had ONE.

The Browns were destined to screw it up, though.

Looking back at my mock, I had the Browns taking Sammy Watkins and Derek Carr...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=547673

...so I think the solution is clear. 43M for Browns GM!!!!

Laughing Cool



Would you even take the job? Wink


For the money, sure. Confused

Id be fired within 3 years, likely, but hey, Id probably have a nice little nest egg.

Cool
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JBURGE25


Joined: 25 Jan 2012
Posts: 18368
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, imagine Carr throwing to OBJ for 10 years Laughing
_________________

FF Big Brother III Winner Cool
[sig by El ramster]
blueswedeshoes wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
I don't hunt
So I gathered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Crickett


Joined: 27 Nov 2004
Posts: 4806
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
Honestly, imagine Carr throwing to OBJ for 10 years Laughing


In Cleveland? I can't. Something would have gone wrong. OBJ's leg would have literally fallen off. Derek Carr would develop into David Carr. It couldn't happen, even if Cleveland had drafted both.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomTheLegend17


Joined: 07 Feb 2017
Posts: 30
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that should do it for that outrid excuse for a player. he simply gave up. if the browns cut you, that's one thing, if you then go to pittsburgh and they get rid of you, your pathetic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 63467
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to believe the reason the Steelers cut him isnt just based on what he showed on the field. He didnt really show much, but my feeling is if he showed them a commitment to working harder to get better, they wouldve at least kept him until training camp and seen what he could do with a full offseason to be coached up and learn the playbook.

We dont have much depth at CB, so for them to cut him right now tells me they had very little faith in him in any regard. He probably didnt show much commitment in his time here, so now....he is gone....and my guess is, his career is pretty much over. I expect he will sign on to another team, but not make an active roster for the remainder of his time in the NFL.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MWil23


Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 6295
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
I have to believe the reason the Steelers cut him isnt just based on what he showed on the field. He didnt really show much, but my feeling is if he showed them a commitment to working harder to get better, they wouldve at least kept him until training camp and seen what he could do with a full offseason to be coached up and learn the playbook.

We dont have much depth at CB, so for them to cut him right now tells me they had very little faith in him in any regard. He probably didnt show much commitment in his time here, so now....he is gone....and my guess is, his career is pretty much over. I expect he will sign on to another team, but not make an active roster for the remainder of his time in the NFL.


To your point, I thought Joe Thomas' tweet was the most telling about Gilbert's career in both places:

Quote:
If you don't like football, it doesn't matter how talented you are, your star will burn out quick.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TimeForChange


Joined: 15 Oct 2013
Posts: 3400
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is he just done?

Sounds pretty much like he wasn't too invested in NFL career and didn't work hard or care. Has all the tools but just didn't like football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 63467
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeForChange wrote:
So is he just done?

Sounds pretty much like he wasn't too invested in NFL career and didn't work hard or care. Has all the tools but just didn't like football?


Even if you have all the tools, its not a guarantee youre going to make it (especially a defensive back)....but if you dont like it and youre not willing to devote pretty much youre entire life towards the NFL, I cant imagine youre ever going to find much success. In Gilberts case, based on this and everything Ive heard from Browns fans and players, he doesnt care to devote much of anything to improving himself or the team. Honestly, I think he just wanted to collect an NFL paycheck for a few years before he goes back to the real world, because he has no chance of making it in the NFL unless he has some type of epiphany, which I cant see happening.

Players like Gilbert are the exact reason a rookie wage scale was so needed. Beyond just how good players can/will be at the next level, you cant usually gauge how passionate and invested a player will remain once they start making them dollars. At the very least, those dollars are limited now.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mancunian Raven


Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 3467
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeForChange wrote:
So is he just done?

Sounds pretty much like he wasn't too invested in NFL career and didn't work hard or care. Has all the tools but just didn't like football?


I imagine he'll get to a training camp somewhere, and get one last chance from someone. But if precedent is any indication, he'll end up being cut long before the season starts.

I don't really get how a kid can play football to a level that sees him taken in the first round of the NFL draft, but not love the sport. If he doesn't love it, why not try baseball or track and field or... anything else?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
redsoxsuck05


Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 9533
Location: LI
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not liking football doesn't make him a bad guy. There are a lot of people pushed into professions they don't want to be in because they have the aptitude for it. Maybe he just lost the passion for it. Depression? Who knows...
_________________



aceinthehouse wrote:
"I made this topic post because none of my crap comes true."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
redsoxsuck05


Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 9533
Location: LI
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
So is he just done?

Sounds pretty much like he wasn't too invested in NFL career and didn't work hard or care. Has all the tools but just didn't like football?


I imagine he'll get to a training camp somewhere, and get one last chance from someone. But if precedent is any indication, he'll end up being cut long before the season starts.

I don't really get how a kid can play football to a level that sees him taken in the first round of the NFL draft, but not love the sport. If he doesn't love it, why not try baseball or track and field or... anything else?


As I said, he could have lost his passion along the way or he never liked it but it was his meal ticket. That's true for a lot of us posters and what we do lol
_________________



aceinthehouse wrote:
"I made this topic post because none of my crap comes true."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 23399
Location: PGH
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
I pretty much fell out of my chair when this pick was made by the Browns. With Joe Haden in his prime, why would you draft a CB in the Top 10 and pass on Barr smh



???

I mean, I was a huge Anthony Barr fan coming out, but he wasnt a slam dunk prospect, either.

And Haden was all they had at CB. I respect if you didnt like Gilbert, but there is plenty of logic behind taking a CB you like high to pair with another really good corner. Can never have too many quality corners in the NFL....and they had ONE.

The Browns were destined to screw it up, though.

Looking back at my mock, I had the Browns taking Sammy Watkins and Derek Carr...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=547673

...so I think the solution is clear. 43M for Browns GM!!!!

Laughing Cool



Would you even take the job? Wink


For the money, sure. Confused

Id be fired within 3 years, likely, but hey, Id probably have a nice little nest egg.

Cool


3 years?!? Wow, you'd be one the most successful coaches Cleveland has had for years! Wink
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 63467
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
I pretty much fell out of my chair when this pick was made by the Browns. With Joe Haden in his prime, why would you draft a CB in the Top 10 and pass on Barr smh



???

I mean, I was a huge Anthony Barr fan coming out, but he wasnt a slam dunk prospect, either.

And Haden was all they had at CB. I respect if you didnt like Gilbert, but there is plenty of logic behind taking a CB you like high to pair with another really good corner. Can never have too many quality corners in the NFL....and they had ONE.

The Browns were destined to screw it up, though.

Looking back at my mock, I had the Browns taking Sammy Watkins and Derek Carr...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=547673

...so I think the solution is clear. 43M for Browns GM!!!!

Laughing Cool



Would you even take the job? Wink


For the money, sure. Confused

Id be fired within 3 years, likely, but hey, Id probably have a nice little nest egg.

Cool


3 years?!? Wow, you'd be one the most successful coaches Cleveland has had for years! Wink


I dont wanna be the coach!!! Just the GM. Laughing Wink
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bonanza23


Joined: 10 Nov 2008
Posts: 11386
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
I pretty much fell out of my chair when this pick was made by the Browns. With Joe Haden in his prime, why would you draft a CB in the Top 10 and pass on Barr smh



???

I mean, I was a huge Anthony Barr fan coming out, but he wasnt a slam dunk prospect, either.

And Haden was all they had at CB. I respect if you didnt like Gilbert, but there is plenty of logic behind taking a CB you like high to pair with another really good corner. Can never have too many quality corners in the NFL....and they had ONE.

The Browns were destined to screw it up, though.

Looking back at my mock, I had the Browns taking Sammy Watkins and Derek Carr...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=547673

...so I think the solution is clear. 43M for Browns GM!!!!

Laughing Cool



Would you even take the job? Wink


For the money, sure. Confused

Id be fired within 3 years, likely, but hey, Id probably have a nice little nest egg.

Cool


3 years?!? Wow, you'd be one the most successful coaches Cleveland has had for years! Wink


Fail.com
_________________

Thanks Reg!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 3852
Location: Hollywierd
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better save his checks...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group