Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OG Mock 49ers Edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohiogenius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: OG Mock 49ers Edition Reply with quote

Just an outsider who occasionally follows the top teams in the draft. I got bored and thought I would do a mock. I am assuming Shanny moves to a 4-3

Resign:
Glenn Dorsey - DT - depth at UT/camp body
Andrew Tiller - OG - depth
Shaun Draugh - RB - #3 RB
Jeremy Kerley - WR - at worst #4 WR

Cut:
Antoine Bethea
Colin Kaep

Free Agents:
Dre Kirkpatrick - CB
Bengals drafted Dennard so Kirkpatrick might be expendable. Good corner who is still getting better.

Jonathan Hankins - NT
Hankins is a great run stuffing nose from the Giants. It looked like the 49ers couldnt stop anyone last year

TJ Lang - OG
Lang is 29 so a type of player GB doesnt resign. He is a good guard and can fit in a zone blocking scheme

Micah Hyde - FS/CB
He has the range to play FS or inside or outside CB. He showed up this off season in the play offs. He is a rangy S who can cover.

Josh McCown - QB
Hell of a mentor while on the Browns and definition of team player. Guy is razor sharp and picks up offenses like its nothing. 2 years ago with a terrible team with no weapons he put up 63.7% completion 2,109 yards 12 TD to 4 INT in 8 games.

Draft
1- Jonathon Allen - DT
My Browns dont blow it and take Garrett. Allen is almost Gerald McCoy level type prospect in my eyes. He can stop the run and pass rush. Advanced technician. As the broncos found out after Malik Jackson left, interior pass rush is huge.

2) Patrick Mahomes - QB
I think he has all the traits to succeed in a Shanny offense. Quick Release, Strong arm, confident. If you dont like Mahomes then insert your fav QB, maybe if one slides out of the first round or even trade it for Jimmy Garoppolo

3) Dede Westbrook - WR
Turns out Gabriel most likely wont be on the market so Westbrook is the pick here. He is a great slot WR. Has good speed and reliable hands. He is a bit on the thin side but has the frame to put on weight. Day one starter in the slot.

4) Pat Elfein - C
Potential starter. Is athletic and still getting better as he has only played center 1 year. Needs to get stronger.

4) Noah Brown // Ardarius Stewart
Traded the extra 5,6,7 to get back into the 4th. WR, Brown has all the tools but is raw and needs to develop and Steward is my dark horse player who will become a solid #2 WR.

5) Elijah Lee - LB
Athletic LB from K State. Depth.

6) Trade for LB Mychal Kendricks
Great back up option in case Bowman is slow coming off injury. If not immediate starter at WLB.

7) Jon Toth - C
Depth C. Think he slides for no reason

Trade 2018 Conditional 5th for WR Josh Gordon
Hue Jackson seemed to be done with Gordon. Gordon is an elite talent with some maturity issues. If he stays active guaranteed 1000 yard WR. Low risk high reward.

QB - McCown, Mahomes
RB - Hyde, Draughn
FB - Rogers

WR - Gordon, Brown/Stewart
WR - T Smith, Kerley
WR - Westbrook
TE - McDonald, Celek, Roberts

LT - Staley
LG - Lang, Beadles
C - Kilgore,Elfien, Toth
RG: Garnett, Tiller
RT: Brown, Theus

RE- Armstead, Lynch, Brooks
UT - Allen, Dorsey
NT - Hankins, Dial
LE: Bucker

WLB - Hendricks, Hodges
MLB - Bowman, Hendicks
SLB - Armstrong, Lee, Brooks

CB - Kirkpatrick, Ward
CB - Robinson, Redmond
CB - Brock
FS - Hyde, Ward
SS - Reed, Tartt

Peace!!!

If you're referring to fingers on his glove, the answer is yes.

Last edited by ohiogenius on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Mock 49ers Edition Reply with quote

ohiogenius wrote:
Just an outsider who occasionally follows the top teams in the draft. I got bored and thought I would do a mock. I am assuming Shanny moves to a 4-3

Resign:
Glenn Dorsey - DT - depth at UT
Andrew Tiller - OG - depth
Shaun Draugh - RB - #3 RB
Jeremy Kerley - WR - at worst #4 WR

I have no inclination to re-sign Dorsey. He's just bad now. Would rather give a shot to a late round draft pick, a young guy on someone else's practice squad, or a UDFA if they earn it. Given that we don't get any pass rush from Dorsey, he should be fairly easy to replace and get comparable on field production.

Quote:
Cut:
Ahmed Brooks
Antoine Bethea
Colin Kaep

There's really no reason to cut Brooks. He still plays at a fine level, and his salary was just de-escalated so his cap hit isn't as big as it was. Kaep is opting out, so we won't have to cut him. I'm fine with cutting Bethea, who just looks done

Quote:
Free Agents:
Dre Kirkpatrick - CB
Bengals drafted Dennard so Kirkpatrick might be expendable. Good corner who is still getting better.

Dre doesn't make much sense to me. Cornerback is probably the one position I'm okay without doing much of anything on this year. Rashard Robinson looks legit and Tramaine Brock is a good #2 (allowed only 50% of the passes thrown to him to be completed last year). Plus we still have Jimmy WArd, who is very good. We drafted Will Redmond last year with a third rounder. I don't think any of our other corners are free agents. Johnson isn't very good, and Reaser has issues, but you're just talking back end cornerback depth there. Money is far better used on something other than a scheme specific cornerback.

Jonathan Hankins - NT
Hankins is a great run stuffing nose from the Giants. It looked like the 49ers couldnt stop anyone last year

Sold! He doesn't give you much in the pass rush, but yeah, we could use the help against the run. Pair him with an interior rusher who can get to the quarterback (maybe Buckner in a 4-3, maybe Allen if we draft him) and you're looking okay.

TJ Lang - OG
Lang is 29 so a type of player GB doesnt resign. He is a good guard and can fit in a zone blocking scheme

Not sure if we will run a ZBS under Shanny...haven't thought about that. I would like to upgrade the interior, but would prefer that Center be the priority. Still, I'll take Lang in a heartbeat.

Barry Church - SS
One of the most solid players at SS. Team captain for the Cowboys. Can lay the wood.

Personally, I feel that we have enough safeties who lay the wood. I want a coverage safety with big range and I think that's a better fit with Tartt & Reid. May not even be an issue if we move Ward to free safety

Josh McCown - QB
Hell of a mentor while on the Browns and definition of team player. Guy is razor sharp and picks up offenses like its nothing. 2 years ago with a terrible team with no weapons he put up 63.7% completion 2,109 yards 12 TD to 4 INT in 8 games.

I'd be disappointed if all of these quarterbacks were available and we went with McCown. That being said, I've said it multiple times, I really dont' think it matters who the quarterback is. Plus there's no doubt that McCown would help out a young quarterback more than someone like Cutler.

Taylor Gabriel - WR
#2/#3 WR who knows Shannys system and can contribute from day 1

Fully expect him to be on the 49ers next year

It's not bad...the only one that doesnt make much sense to me (right now, with Ward still at corner) is Dre. Money is far better spent elsewhere.

Quote:
Draft
1- Jonathon Allen - DT
My Browns dont blow it and take Garrett. Allen is almost Gerald McCoy level type prospect in my eyes. He can stop the run and pass rush. Advanced technician. As the broncos found out after Malik Jackson left, interior pass rush is huge.

He's one of the guys on the acceptable list for me at 2. Have no issues with this. It would create an interesting line combination though with the addition of Hankins with Buckner and Armstead as well.

2) Patrick Mahomes - QB
I think he has all the traits to succeed in a Shanny offense. Quick Release, Strong arm, confident. If you dont like Mahomes then insert your fav QB, maybe if one slides out of the first round or even trade it for Jimmy Garoppolo

Jimmy G is the preference here, as I would consider Mahomes a massive reach at this pick. But obviously, quarterback is on the right track, and I've said before that I'd be willing to accept a QB here if it means we are not using #2 on one.

3) JuJu Smith-Schuster // Noah Brown // Ardarius Stewart
Draft projections seem to be all over the place but Schuster is a true possession WR, Brown has all the tools but is raw and needs to develop and Steward is my dark horse player who will become a solid #2 WR.

If JuJu is here, I definitely take him. I don't think he will be, but guys fall all of the time. This is too early for Brown. Stewart is kind of superfluous in my opinion given Torrey and the addition of Gabriel. I'd probably look more at someone like Isaiah Ford? Should be around this time.

4) Damontae Kazee - CB
If I recall correctly DBs were terrible for the 49ers. Kazee is a gambler and given the deep class at CB he drops.

You recall incorrectly. As I said, probably the one position that doesn't need any changes so long as Ward is staying there and not moving to safety. This and Dre is complete overkill. I'd look Center here if someone like Orlovsky was available, or maybe tight end. Double dipping on some other positions isn't awful.

5) Elijah Lee - LB
Athletic LB from Miss State. Depth.

Are you talking about Elijah Lee from KSU? If so, he's undersized, but could be a good coverage linebacker, and I like his attitude. It's a solid pick.

6) Trade for LB Mychal Kendricks
Great back up option in case Bowman is slow coming off injury. If not immediate starter at WLB.

I have no issues with this trade if we make it.

7) Jon Toth - C
Depth C. Think he slides for no reason

Love this pick - if he slides this far snatch him up in a hurry. I think he can one day be a starter.

We do have some additional picks as well - I think we have multiple picks in 4, 5 and 6, or maybe 5, 6, 7. Can't remember.

Quote:
Trade 2018 Conditional 5th for WR Josh Gordon
Hue Jackson seemed to be done with Gordon. Gordon is an elite talent with some maturity issues. If he stays active guaranteed 1000 yard WR. Low risk high reward.

Not happening...writing on the wall is there, he's just going to be released. Maybe I offer a 7 just so I don't have to compete with others, but that's about it. Not sure I would even do that seeing as though I don't think you're competing with every team in that regard.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
sbrown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont necessarily like josh mcown. But Im good with everything else here. Love the Gordan pick up. It cannot hurt especially considering he makes less than 1 mil. Gabriel and smith and ju ju round out the wr corp. I like mahommes a lil bit and and like allen in a 4-3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Mock 49ers Edition Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
ohiogenius wrote:

Taylor Gabriel - WR

Why? He is a restricted free agent, so it will be inexpensive for Atlanta to keep him. With how well he played this previous season, it would be ridiculous for Atlanta to not tender him at the second round level (~$2.5M) at least.
Forge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Mock 49ers Edition Reply with quote

struby3 wrote:
Forge wrote:
ohiogenius wrote:

Taylor Gabriel - WR

Why? He is a restricted free agent, so it will be inexpensive for Atlanta to keep him. With how well he played this previous season, it would be ridiculous for Atlanta to not tender him at the second round level (~$2.5M) at least.

Oh. That doesnt make sense then. I'd see no reason for Atlanta to let him go either. I think the common belief is he's an unrestricted free agent

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
sbrown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldrick robinson is a UFA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed inputs.

Yeah I might have confused the 49ers secondary from 2 years ago when they made our scrub QB look like a decent passer. I went with Kirkpatrick because its always good to have 3 corners in my eyes and give flexibility to move Ward to back up FS if needed. Plus he wont be super expensive.

In that case I would probably draft center in the 4th instead of Kazee

I was also under the impression Reid was a FS for some reason. My initial version had Micah Hyde as a free agent signing not Barry Church but then I saw some depth chart that had Reid as a FS.

I also just saw the 9ers have 2 5ths 6ths and 7ths. Will update accordingly

Also didnt know about the de-escalator clause.

Peace!!!

If you're referring to fingers on his glove, the answer is yes.
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reid plays FS for us but I think most of us feel his best fit would be at SS, or atleast that's my views. We've never had a rangy cover S to play FS so Reid has always played that role, seeing as Whitner and now Bethea played the SS role, and he has actually just looked average for most of his career. I think the move to SS would put him in a better situation to be successful. There are a ton of quality S in this draft, if Toth does slide that far we'll be more than glad to take him but a rangy FS would be an excellent pairing next Reid and allow Ward to continue to grow as our slot CB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: