Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rank 'em: The 15 playoff games of Super Bowl winning years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Rank 'em: The 15 playoff games of Super Bowl winning years Reply with quote

How would you rank the 15 playoff games from the Super Bowl winning seasons? It can be in terms of your overall enjoyment at the time, the degree to which you rewatch the game, the fondness of the memory, the degree to which the game was well played - or any combination of all of the above. Everyone thinks of "best" differently. So which was the best? Which was the "worst" (there is no bad playoff game in a Super Bowl winning year IMO).

I'm going to state up front that I know Super Bowl wins are inherently more important than Divisional or Championship round games.

15. Texans vs. Patriots (2016 AFCDG) - Tedious at times and the sloppiest of the 15 games. Fumbles, interceptions, and a team that looked like it was sleepwalking. I'll probably rewatch it once a year when I go through the whole 3 Games To Glory 5 in its entirety, but it is clearly the weakest game

14. Colts vs. Patriots (2014 AFCCG)
- Beginning of the Deflate crap. Boring, lopsided game. No drama, little in the way of memorable moments. I watch it every time I watch 3GTG4 but it's pretty dull and the deflated stuff leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

13. Steelers vs. Patriots (2016 AFCCG) - Anti-climactic AFCCG. Nice to have a game that was relatively drama free. Well played by the Pats on both sides of the ball. Still, the game lacked much excitement compared to other games. Maybe it will age better with additional viewings.

12. Titans vs. Patriots (2003 AFDG) - I really like this game because the memorable frigid cold and old-school feel to it . Other than Vinatieri's game winner, the game didn't have many iconic plays. A good, close game but not especially memorable

11. Steelers vs. Patriots (2004 AFCCG)
- Getting back to the Super Bowl was the best thing about this game. A couple of huge, memorable plays surrounded by a bunch of marginal ones. Worth re-watching for those plays alone. Beating the #1 seed felt good but I think most smart football fans had the Pats as the better overall team.

10. Colts vs. Patriots (2004 AFCDG) - Dillon's dominance and the defense just owning Peyton Manning were glorious. In a 15 year run defined mostly by Brady's heroics and late game offensive drives, this game was the type I always hope to see - just a total defensive beatdown of a great offense. If you look at the box score, and didn't watch it live, this one is probably lower on your list. But at the time, and even in retrospect, watching that 2004 D have its way with Manning never gets old.

9. Colts vs. Patriots (2003 AFCCG)
- Beating Manning was delicious and brings a smile to my face every time I re-watch this game. The weather, the dominance on all 3 phases of the game. Beginning to plant the seeds of a dynasty in people's minds. Brilliant gameplanning by Weis and Crennel. Just a great game from start to finish

8. Steelers vs. Patriots (2001 AFCCG) - Newer/younger fans might not understand this one being so high. But the Steelers were talked up to a nauseating degree before the game. The drama of Bledsoe coming in to replace Brady. The blocked FG for a TD. Extremely memorable game the significance of going into Pittsburgh and beating the Steelers can't be overstated. The feeling coming out of that game was "hey, we can do this, we can win the Super Bowl!" - something which most (sane) Pats fans didn't really exude in 1985 or 1996.

7. Ravens vs. Patriots (2014 AFCDG) - The drama of coming back from down 14 twice, the amazing go-ahead TD pass to LaFell, the iconic Edelman to Amendola double pass, beating the hated Ravens. Harmon's INT. The formations with Hoomanawanui. Instant classic.

6. Eagles vs. Patriots (2004 SB39)
- For some reason, this game just isn't that memorable to me. No matter how many times I watch it, it just never stands out as an all time great game. It's this high on my list due mostly to significance. At the time, it didn't feel like a particularly great or special game (relative to other big games). Being the game to complete the back to back and 3 out of 4 is really the best thing this game has going for it - which counts for a lot.

5. Raiders vs. Patriots (2001 AFCDG) - It seems crazy to put a divisional game ahead of a Super Bowl win, but TBH, I was tempted to put this all the way up at the #2 spot. It's an iconic game for so many reasons. The weather, the hype of the Raiders, tuck rule, JR Redmond's clutch plays, Jermaine Wiggins' late game contributions, Vinatieri's legendary kicks, the game that started the dynasty. I never get sick of watching this game. Any Patriots fan who hasn't seen this game in its entirety is really missing out

4. Seahawks vs. Patriots (2014 SB49)
- Like SB51, this one is a bit tough to evaluate. To this day, after watching the game probably 20+ times in its entirety, that Kearse catch bothers me (triggering some Tyree related quasi PTSD), the Lynch wheel route to start that drive bothers me, the Brady INT's still bother me. There was a long stretch of pretty dull and frustrating play. The Butler INT was one of the truly iconic moments in Boston sports history. Great to win one and wash the stench of 2011 of the team and shut up all the Deflatehaters

3. Panthers vs. Patriots (2003 SB38)
- From a defensive slugfest to an exciting shootout. Proved the first wasn't a fluke. Brady and Vinatieri do it again. Tons of memorable moments and an overall fun game to watch. I'd put this almost as a tie with SB49. The Butler INT is tremendous, but as an overall 60 minute game, SB38 is a little more fun to re-watch and was more enjoyable - albeit without the cathartic release.

2. Falcons vs. Patriots (2016 SB51)
- The first 42 minutes of this were a debacle. The last 20 minutes or so were absolutely surreal. I've already rewatched this one twice and I'm sure I'll watch it a hundred more as the years go by. It loses some points for the sloppy play but it has maximum replay value and cements Brady and Belichick as the unquestionable GOATs

1. Rams vs. Patriots (2001 SB36)
- The first Super Bowl win in team history. The Pats were huge underdogs against the GSOT. Brady's legend was born. Vinatieri came through again. A game I watch at least 4-5 times every year and is IMO the clear cut #1 game in Patriots history.
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching it again on NFLN... it's absolutely unreal.

I can't find anything wrong with that list, every single game is in the right spot. Although I've been meaning to ask, having now lived through the first 2/3 of this game, you still sure you'd rather have a blowout Super Bowl either way than another nail biter? Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:

I can't find anything wrong with that list, every single game is in the right spot. Although I've been meaning to ask, having now lived through the first 2/3 of this game, you still sure you'd rather have a blowout Super Bowl either way than another nail biter? Wink

As with the 2004 ALCS, I'm glad I lived through it and watched every minute of it. I'm sure, as 2004 did, the experience - as amazing and memorable as it was - took a few years off my life.
Starless

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't lead to a SB victory but I got a weird satisfaction from the 2011 divisional win against Tebow's Broncos. Mainly because I can't stand Tebow and watching Brady put on a clinic while he couldn't do squat against a very flawed Pats defense was really cathartic. Plus, it's still their only playoff win against the Broncos.

The divisional round win over the Ravens 2 years ago is one I'd rank higher, on account of the two 14-point comebacks and beating the Ravens in general.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
I got a weird satisfaction from the 2011 divisional win against Tebow's Broncos. Mainly because I can't stand Tebow and watching Brady put on a clinic while he couldn't do squat against a very flawed Pats defense was really cathartic. Plus, it's still their only playoff win against the Broncos.

Guess you missed the premise of the post Very Happy

I do agree though, that was a fun one. Probably top 5-10 in the "non Super Bowl winning years"
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
dhunt2402 wrote:

As with the 2004 ALCS, I'm glad I lived through it and watched every minute of it. I'm sure, as 2004 did, the experience - as amazing and memorable as it was - took a few years off my life.

The first three quarters of this game were depressingly awful to me, worse than any of the tight moments in our previous SBs. Once the comeback started it was almost fun to watch, even when they still needed two TDs and two 2 pointers to tie it up, I don't how to explain it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
dhunt2402 wrote:

The first three quarters of this game were depressingly awful to me, worse than any of the tight moments in our previous SBs. Once the comeback started it was almost fun to watch, even when they still needed two TDs and two 2 pointers to tie it up, I don't how to explain it

I think I said it in the thread but needing the two 2 pointers kind of kept me from fully committing to the comeback emotionally. I was still obviously invested and engaged but I just didn't see any way they'd get 2 touchdowns, a stop and 2 two pointers until they were in the red zone on that last drive. I think the improbability of that is actually being understated by a lot of people . I've seen crazy things happen and miracle comebacks in the NFL (Reich vs. the Oilers for example) but those all seemed possible in a crazy kind of way. The Pats comeback seemed outright impossible to me. TBH a lot of that was the Pats awful luck in Super Bowls over the years. They needed to play at a high level, get lucky and have Atlanta do a bunch of stupid stuff (and punish Atlanta for making dumb decisions). I still can't believe they pulled it off.
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
dhunt2402 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
dhunt2402 wrote:

I think I said it in the thread but needing the two 2 pointers kind of kept me from fully committing to the comeback emotionally. I was still obviously invested and engaged but I just didn't see any way they'd get 2 touchdowns, a stop and 2 two pointers until they were in the red zone on that last drive. I think the improbability of that is actually being understated by a lot of people . I've seen crazy things happen and miracle comebacks in the NFL (Reich vs. the Oilers for example) but those all seemed possible in a crazy kind of way. The Pats comeback seemed outright impossible to me. TBH a lot of that was the Pats awful luck in Super Bowls over the years. They needed to play at a high level, get lucky and have Atlanta do a bunch of stupid stuff (and punish Atlanta for making dumb decisions). I still can't believe they pulled it off.

Yep. The fact that it was a two possession game after that FG kept my heart in it, but my head was most definitely in the "no way do they actually do this" until they got the ball back down one score. I don't think we'll see any team pull off something like that ever again on that stage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wordy so bare with me. I'll only list the top 10 to make up for it..

1. Patriots vs Seahawks: This was just a really good game from top to bottom. The Patriots played great, Seattle's defense was tough and you had to fight for every inch, but the Patriots game planned perfectly and just dissected them. It looked like a clutch moment from Wilson at the end of the first half would wipe away all momentum, and I think every NE fan was just hoping the game didn't get out of hand at one point. Then Brady plays Superman and has a comeback for the ages. Then the freakshow catch where everyone's heart sank because they knew what was coming. Another game gone to an improbable play. We saw this before. Seattle scores with next to no time on the clock and Brady frantically tries to chuck the ball down field to no avail as the time expires. Then the DEFENSE FINALLY MAKES A STOP. The single greatest play in Boston sports history and probably the most important interception in the history of the sport. On a personal note, this team really NEEDED this one. Despite being the best overall team in the league since 2001 they won a lot early, then lost for the first time in 05 and felt mortal, then were the witness to Peyton Manning's signature playoff game, then lost the 16-0 season to another plucky underdog on the most fortunate drive ever, then Brady got hurt, then they had two early exits in the playoffs when he returned, then they lost another Super Bowl because of a dropped pass that would have iced the game, then were again just a stop on the way for the Ravens making their own history, then the 2013 team was a big dip year and they lost a battle of attrition that culminated in the 2013 AFCCG loss. Then they just didn't look themselves to start the year. It had been 10 years since this team tasted a championship. This got a huge monkey off the franchises back and realistically changed how they (weird saying they since the team changed so much and this team is so different from the Bruschi/Brown/Law teams) were going to be remembered.

2. Patriots vs Falcons: Honestly if this were a better played game early on it would take the number 1 spot easily. But nothing went right for the Patriots until the 4th quarter. Pick six, fumble, missed extra point, Blount getting shut down, Brady getting smashed into the turf like he was facing the 85 Bears. Nobody honestly thought we were going to win this game. This wasn't improbable. This was impossible. This was the greatest comeback in the history of this sport and possibly all American sports. Brady was probably the GOAT before this, but this was his signature coup de grace moment that took him from one of the all time greats to THE signature NFL player. Atlanta had to give us the opening to pull this off. Some serious mishaps on the drive with Julio catch. But to go score twice with two consecutive two point conversions. To make those stops. To get that turnover. To force the game into the first overtime in Super Bowl history to comeback from 2.5x the biggest deficit in Super Bowl history. The margin for era in the final rally was non existent. This team gave us alot of great moments. This was pure storybook magic. This is the type of thing you see in movies. Like the Butler interception before it, the Edelman catch was felt like it was a divine makeup for all the past freakshow catches. Once that happened it felt like it was our turn to defy the odds. I hate to steal something from a sports talkshow, but this was the NFL version of Ali's Rumble in the Jungle. Even if we didn't want to admit it we thought we were watching a beast beat the life out of one of the greatest teams in sports history. Just every drive was a nightmare. Then it got close and you could see the cracks in the Falcons, and finally the Patriots just rallied, and rallied, and then went to overtime and in sudden fashion delivered the killing blow and it was over and you couldn't believe what you just watched. In many ways it feels fitting that the game that made this dynasty's place in history undeniable was possibly the most memorable game in sports history. Maybe not the best game, but in 50 years time people will talk about how Brady and Belichick made history to become the first to get a 5th Super Bowl in the biggest comeback ever.

3. Patriots vs Rams: This is where it all started. The game that ushered in a 16 year stretch of 10 championship wins and 14 final appearances in Boston sports that will likely never be duplicated by any city/region ever. The ultimate Cinderella story. Failed coach getting his second chance in what was probably a make or break season. One of the best QB's in the league going down to injury and being replaced by 2nd string back up drafted in the 6th round that nobody wanted. Going on an improbable (notice that word gets used alot here) run to the championship game against one of the greatest offenses this sport has ever seen. The sound physical defense the Patriots played was our only chance to make this a game and it felt like we had a chance the whole game. Just had to hold on. Then the Rams tied it up and it looked like we were about to be denied when the Rams eventually got the points they were missing out on in overtime. The greatest announcer in the history of the sport proclaimed that the Patriots should just run the clock out and not risk anything with a young QB who had no timeouts with the prospects of an turnover giving the most potent offense in the league a path to a late victory. Instead Brady just made a smart throw, then another, then another, then John Madden started liking what they were doing, then a big pass, then we were in field goal range, then the man who would become the greatest kicker of all time sealed the deal as for the game winning score was on the final play of the game (something the Patriots would replicate against the Panthers and now the Falcons, I'm pretty sure they are still the only team to do that). If this was just a one off it still would have been something this franchise could always hang their hat on.

4. Patriots vs Panthers: If you ignore storylines, this has a real case of being the most exciting Super Bowl of all time. Just two QB's playing at an ultra high level refusing to be denied. It's probably the best overall Super Bowl to rewatch because of how action packed it was. Ironically the Panthers who were probably the least notable team we played in the Super Bowl ended up giving us the biggest defensive challenge this team had faced in the playoffs. For a team known for shutting down the Greatest Show on Turf, embarrassing those early Colts offenses, and more recently holding the best offense in the league with the MVP to 21 offensive points, Belichick's defense had no answers for these Panthers. If two years prior showed that Brady was a good QB who could keep the ball safe and make a big play or two to help you win, this was him showing that he could let loose and really stand toe to toe with anybody out there to pull off a win. Probably the most underrated game since the Patriots dynasty started. Which is a shame because I think most people realize it was great, but it didn't have a big comeback, or a big upset, or a legendary play. It was a high octane shootout between two teams trying to prove they wanted it more.

5. Patriots vs Colts 2004: The best offense we've ever seen. The best QB year since Marino's sophomore year 20 seasons ago. A Patriots team trying to repeat and etch it's name into history as an NFL dynasty. The two best and most promising QB's in the league. Two great coaches. Something had to give and it was the Colts. Not the most exciting game, but watching Belichick's defense just render an all time great offense completely ineffective while Peyton Manning could only sit on the sideline and watch his team's hopes get crushed was about as satisfying a win as they come. This wasn't a steamroll of a mediocre team. This was a beat down of one of a historic offense. This was probably the peak of those awesome early Patriots teams. One word, dominance. The 2004 team was never going to be denied.

6. Ravens vs Patriots 2014: This was the end of a nice little rivalry that started back in the regular season of 2007. If there was a team that was the opposite of the Patriots it was the Ravens. They made it very well known that they hated us and weren't going to just be another notch on our belt. At least willingly. In 2009 they laid the only real beatdown the Patriots suffered in the playoffs. Not a nice break in an intense game. This was ugly and the game was over before it began. Then we just barely survived after they missed a crucial field goal in 2011. And in 2012 they went on a Super Bowl run and made us a causality along the way. Then in what looked the Patriots best real shot at a Super Bowl since 2007, they were face to face with the one team that could really spoil such a hopeful season. "Came back from a 14 point deficit twice". Belichick leveraging the eligible receiver rules and giving Harbaugh a heart attack. Edelman throwing a TD pass. The Patriots emptied their bag of tricks and won a war to decisively beat a rival.

7. Patriots vs Raiders: Tuck rule. All that needs to be said. This is one game the Patriots really lost and and they got a miracle second chance that they were able to capitalize on. Last game at the stadium and the football gods shined down on us. 16 years later and it's still a sore spot for the Raiders franchise to the point where they were hoping this year would be their revenge. Also the the first in a long line of legendary clutch kicks by Adam Vinatieri. This was just a great iconic game for the franchise.

8. Patriots vs Steelers 2004: This was just two heavyweight sluggers going at. The Patriots were probably considered the better team at the time because they had a track record. But this Steeler team was dominant and the biggest obstacle of the season. The Patriots ultimately pulled away but it was a treat to watch and was a great football game. Imo the 2004 Patriots were the best and most balanced team they ever fielded and this was their most crucial win. The Steelers were the one team that could stop them and had stopped them earlier in the season.

9. Patriots vs Steelers 2001: This was what Jerry Jones wanted to to get out of Tony Romo this year. As a new age ushered in with Tom Brady, Drew Bledsoe got his moment in the sun. Subbing in for a hurt Brady, the old beloved Patriots QB comes in and saves the day. The 2001 run was the most storybook and this was a big part of it. It was a feel good end to the Bledsoe era and made him a big part of a championship run that he quite frankly deserved to get. You really don't want to see a guy lose his job because of an injury, but as a consolation Bledsoe got his day in the sun and his signature win as a Patriot. Beyond that, the Steelers were also viewed as the biggest threat to the Rams and the class of the AFC. Pulling out this win on their turf was a sign that this Cinderella squad could go head to head with best teams in the league and come out on the winning side.

10. Patriots vs Eagles: Okay so I started out with 4 Super Bowls and the this one barely makes the top 10. The thing is this just wasn't iconic. It's remembered for Andy Reid's horrible clock management and TO playing injured and still have a great game. The Patriots were just too dominant here. It got interesting for a spell until you realized that the Eagles were just so beat up and didn't have the capability to score quick enough. It was a fine game, but this was the most typical football game the Patriots played in the Super Bowl.

HM: 2003 vs Colts.
DMG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Super Bowl 36
2. Super Bowl 49
3. Super Bowl 51
4. Super Bowl 38
5. 2004 Divisional Round
6. 2014 Divisional Round
7. 2004 Conference Championship
8. 2003 Conference Championship
9. 2001 Divisional Round
10. 2001 Conference Championship
11. Super Bowl 39
12. 2016 Conference Championship
13. 2003 Divisional Round
14. 2014 Conference Championship
15. 2016 Divisional Round

This can't possibly be an autocorrect for Asante Samuel.....
bluemushrooms

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rank 'em: The 15 playoff games of Super Bowl winning yea Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:

7. Ravens vs. Patriots (2014 AFCDG)[/b] - The drama of coming back from down 14 twice, the amazing go-ahead TD pass to LaFell, the iconic Edelman to Amendola double pass, beating the hated Ravens. Harmon's INT. he formations with Hoomanawanui.Instant classic.

#NeverForget

The LaFell pass was freaking beautiful. This game was amazing in terms of rating a game purely on how much fun it was to watch.

-Sig made by BenderRodriguez

2016 Adopt a Patriot: LeGarrette Blount
2015 Adopt a Patriot: James White

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
Chimdi is Love. Chekwa is Life.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised by the love that 2004 AFCCG gets by Pats fans.
m haynes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching 2001 SB on NFL Network. Couple things that stand out , things you forget.
1. Troy Brown is quick as a cat. Amazing playing DB in SB and PR.
2. Antoine Smith is a monster and fast.
3. Charlie Weis is one hell of a OC. His running game (philosophy) plays and screens are a work of art.
4. Pats DBs sure can hit. They are killing the Rams WR.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: