You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

General Niner News Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 19458
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
PapaShogun wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
TO misses the HOF once again.
The Hall of Fame is a complete joke now. Terrell Davis makes it, but Owens who is a top 5 receiver of all time misses the cut for the third straight year. Just watch Hines Ward get in before him.


How many teams cut TO? It's quite clear that just about every team he was on thought they were better off without him on the team. In other words they didn't think he was even worth having on the team. How does that translate to a HOF player? You gotta look at the whole picture not just his stats. His legacy as a player is bunch of great looking stats and a whole bunch of teams that knew what his pluses, and his minuses, were and decided the latter outweighed the former.


Guess that means Randy Moss shouldn't get in. 3 teams got sick of his crap too. Pretty sure Kurt Warner was released twice (rams and giants), maybe they should re-evaluate that selection. Morten Anderson played for 5 different teams and 6 total. Clearly some of those teams though that they were better off without him....
_________________


Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 19733
Location: El Dorado Hills
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
PapaShogun wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
TO misses the HOF once again.
The Hall of Fame is a complete joke now. Terrell Davis makes it, but Owens who is a top 5 receiver of all time misses the cut for the third straight year. Just watch Hines Ward get in before him.


How many teams cut TO? It's quite clear that just about every team he was on thought they were better off without him on the team. In other words they didn't think he was even worth having on the team. How does that translate to a HOF player? You gotta look at the whole picture not just his stats. His legacy as a player is bunch of great looking stats and a whole bunch of teams that knew what his pluses, and his minuses, were and decided the latter outweighed the former.


Guess that means Randy Moss shouldn't get in. 3 teams got sick of his crap too. Pretty sure Kurt Warner was released twice (rams and giants), maybe they should re-evaluate that selection. Morten Anderson played for 5 different teams and 6 total. Clearly some of those teams though that they were better off without him....


You know what I mean right? There are a lot of reasons for letting guys go. With TO is was always because his team believed he was a corrosive force that was hurting the team more than helping it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 19458
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
PapaShogun wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
TO misses the HOF once again.
The Hall of Fame is a complete joke now. Terrell Davis makes it, but Owens who is a top 5 receiver of all time misses the cut for the third straight year. Just watch Hines Ward get in before him.


How many teams cut TO? It's quite clear that just about every team he was on thought they were better off without him on the team. In other words they didn't think he was even worth having on the team. How does that translate to a HOF player? You gotta look at the whole picture not just his stats. His legacy as a player is bunch of great looking stats and a whole bunch of teams that knew what his pluses, and his minuses, were and decided the latter outweighed the former.


Guess that means Randy Moss shouldn't get in. 3 teams got sick of his crap too. Pretty sure Kurt Warner was released twice (rams and giants), maybe they should re-evaluate that selection. Morten Anderson played for 5 different teams and 6 total. Clearly some of those teams though that they were better off without him....


You know what I mean right? There are a lot of reasons for letting guys go. With TO is was always because his team believed he was a corrosive force that was hurting the team more than helping it.


Same for Moss...
_________________


Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
y2lamanaki


Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 03 Jan 2006
Posts: 13979
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.O. and Moss are obviously both deserving candidates. T.O. was right - the current process for WRs is pitiful, and I think that plays a larger role than T.O. the character. Carter, Harrison, Reed, Tim Brown, etc. all had trouble getting selected.
_________________


Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 19458
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
T.O. and Moss are obviously both deserving candidates. T.O. was right - the current process for WRs is pitiful, and I think that plays a larger role than T.O. the character. Carter, Harrison, Reed, Tim Brown, etc. all had trouble getting selected.


If you are a wide receiver or a true safety (meaning you didn't play corner at some point), I feel like your chances for enshrinement automatically go down 30%.
_________________


Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 19458
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bright side, the TD selection makes P-Willy a lock. I Know most still had him in the hall of fame, but for him and Megatron, because of the short duration of their careers, there were some people who doubted it or didn't have them in quite yet when they retired. That can no longer be the case.
_________________


Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 45481
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
On the bright side, the TD selection makes P-Willy a lock. I Know most still had him in the hall of fame, but for him and Megatron, because of the short duration of their careers, there were some people who doubted it or didn't have them in quite yet when they retired. That can no longer be the case.


Willis was always a lock. 7x Pro Bowler and 5x 1st team all pro? Who cares if you play 8 years or 14 years, that will get you in. Granted, TO is also a 5x 1st team all pro and he hasn't got in yet Laughing.

But I don't think he will be a 1st ballot HOFer like he would have had he played a few more years. It will be interesting to see how long it takes Megatron to get in.
_________________

El ramster on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 19458
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Forge wrote:
On the bright side, the TD selection makes P-Willy a lock. I Know most still had him in the hall of fame, but for him and Megatron, because of the short duration of their careers, there were some people who doubted it or didn't have them in quite yet when they retired. That can no longer be the case.


Willis was always a lock. 7x Pro Bowler and 5x 1st team all pro? Who cares if you play 8 years or 14 years, that will get you in. Granted, TO is also a 5x 1st team all pro and he hasn't got in yet Laughing.

But I don't think he will be a 1st ballot HOFer like he would have had he played a few more years. It will be interesting to see how long it takes Megatron to get in.


I always thought he was a lock. But some people want longevity...which makes no sense. I don't get how it enhances someone's career if he had played 6 more years at a below average level Laughing

The Megatron thing really is the more interesting case given how receivers struggle to get in. One of the most physically gifted receivers I have ever witnessed, a completely machine on a per game basis. But 1) receiver, and 2) short career and lack of overall counting numbers in a bulk context. He's a hall of famer to me, and I wouldn't even make him wait super long, but we know that's probably not going to be the case.
_________________


Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 45481
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing, his peak was arguably as great as anyone's, but didn't play all that long and it is tougher for WRs to get in the first place.

I'd guess he gets in year two or three. After all, he was very classy and the voters love that Laughing.

Willis will likely be in the same boat.

Now we see if Moss gets in next year or has it wait another year.

What ticks me off is Jason Taylor getting on the first time. Not that he didn't deserve to eventually get in, but TO was a greater player than him. WR be damned, at least make Taylor wait another year or two Laughing.
_________________

El ramster on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 19458
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
That's the thing, his peak was arguably as great as anyone's, but didn't play all that long and it is tougher for WRs to get in the first place.

I'd guess he gets in year two or three. After all, he was very classy and the voters love that Laughing.

Willis will likely be in the same boat.

Now we see if Moss gets in next year or has it wait another year.

What ticks me off is Jason Taylor getting on the first time. Not that he didn't deserve to eventually get in, but TO was a greater player than him. WR be damned, at least make Taylor wait another year or two Laughing.


Agreed, Taylor definitely deserved it in time, but not over Owens. Honestly, I'm kind of floored that Zach Thomas is still waiting.
_________________


Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
y2lamanaki


Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 03 Jan 2006
Posts: 13979
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some might love this. Others might want to bash their head through a wall. Chances are you know which side of the fence you are on before clicking:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-football-hall-of-fame-has-a-receiver-problem/
_________________


Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group