You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Super Bowl 51 - 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 90, 91, 92  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
childofpudding

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
They made some crucial plays when they needed to but lol that offense for most part had their way with them. Problem is that they didn't have the ball a lot.

- The Falcons had the ball for 10 drives. In the regular season, they had 11 drives per game. So not much different.
- The Falcons scored 2.1 points per drive, compared to 3.1 points per drive in the regular season, which was best in the league.
- The Falcons offense had 24 yards per drive, compared to 41 yards per drive in the regular season, which was best in the league.
- The Falcons offense went 3-and-out three times in the game, or in 30% of their drives, compared to 14.5% of the time in the regular season, which was best in the league.
- The Falcons punted on 60% of their drives, compared to 29% of their drives in the regular season, which was best in the league.

Tell me more about your infallible eye test, though.

Last edited by childofpudding on Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starless

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:
Starless wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:
Starless wrote:
Anyone see what the route tree looked like on that last sack Ryan took?

go on
It wasn't rhetorical. Laughing

usually you got these information bombs to drop

Okay, I went and looked.

Falcons had Sanu running a shallow cross with Ryan tight on him, and Freeman going out into the flat, covered by Sheard. Both were pretty well defended so I can see why Ryan held the ball. Butler had press coverage on Gabriel who looked like he was running a 9 route or a deep out, and Julio was running a seam route with Rowe in off coverage, and presumably a safety on him as well.
Pats had a 4- man overload rush off the left side with Hightower coming on a blitz. But Flowers was able to split a double-team between the RG and C and got in on Ryan as he was bailing.
This play was 30% Ryan getting greedy and trying to make a play he didn't really need, 30% bad playcall and 40% great defense by the Pats.

candyman93

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were plays where Ryan should have just thrown the ball away.
JustAnotherFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:
Starless wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:
Starless wrote:

go on

Okay, I went and looked.

Falcons had Sanu running a shallow cross with Ryan tight on him, and Freeman going out into the flat, covered by Sheard. Both were pretty well defended so I can see why Ryan held the ball. Butler had press coverage on Gabriel who looked like he was running a 9 route or a deep out, and Julio was running a seam route with Rowe in off coverage, and presumably a safety on him as well.
Pats had a 4- man overload rush off the left side with Hightower coming on a blitz. But Flowers was able to split a double-team between the RG and C and got in on Ryan as he was bailing.
This play was 30% Ryan getting greedy and trying to make a play he didn't really need, 30% bad playcall and 40% great defense by the Pats.

It was more like 90% poor play calling. It's 2nd down, you're well within FG range and you call a pass play from the shotgun formation and a 5-step drop?!
Starless

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustAnotherFan wrote:
Starless wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:
Starless wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:
Starless wrote:

go on

Okay, I went and looked.

It was more like 90% poor play calling. It's 2nd down, you're well within FG range and you call a pass play from the shotgun formation and a 5-step drop?!
I think the idea was to get the ball to Sanu on the shallow cross off the rub. It was a fine idea in theory, but Ryan did a great job not getting caught by the pick and took away the first read. That's where they got in trouble.
Redox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to the Patriots, but the Falcons lost this game. Run the damn ball!
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan should have thrown the ball away there... but he didn't have time to set and throw with a guy in his face.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still gotta run the ball though in that situation, regardless. Even if you don't gain another yard on the next 2 runs(which is hard to believe considering that Freeman was money last night) you're still keeping teh clock moving and still well within Bryant's range to put the game away.

It is was terrible call IMO.
reckless123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

childofpudding wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
They made some crucial plays when they needed to but lol that offense for most part had their way with them. Problem is that they didn't have the ball a lot.

- The Falcons had the ball for 10 drives. In the regular season, they had 11 drives per game. So not much different.
- The Falcons scored 2.1 points per drive, compared to 3.1 points per drive in the regular season, which was best in the league.
- The Falcons offense had 24 yards per drive, compared to 41 yards per drive in the regular season, which was best in the league.
- The Falcons offense went 3-and-out three times in the game, or in 30% of their drives, compared to 14.5% of the time in the regular season, which was best in the league.
- The Falcons punted on 60% of their drives, compared to 29% of their drives in the regular season, which was best in the league.

Tell me more about your infallible eye test, though.

They didn't have the ball a lot, umm...they had 46 plays. In common sense it means that not having the ball a lot.

Matt Ryan was sacked like 4 or 5 times. If Matt Ryan wasn't getting sacked on drives he was moving the ball.

I never said it was Vintage Falcons. They did have the way with Pats defense from 2nd Q onwards.

But go on...

Be Humble. Sit Down.
reckless123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:
Starless wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:
Starless wrote:

go on

Okay, I went and looked.

I wouldn't call that being greedy because the aim of the play is to not get sacked. The aim with every pass play is to find the open guy. You see open guy you throw it. The pressure up the middle ruined everything. He couldn't escape to throw it away. If the aim of the play was to not get sacked then sure he got greedy. But they were looking for a 1st down so I understand it. Remember it was 2nd and 11. Not 2nd and 2 so the drop if going for a 1st down is going to be a deep one.

Be Humble. Sit Down.
Starless

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Starless wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:
Starless wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:
Starless wrote:

go on

Okay, I went and looked.

I wouldn't call that being greedy because the aim of the play is to not get sacked. The aim with every pass play is to find the open guy. You see open guy you throw it. The pressure up the middle ruined everything. He couldn't escape to throw it away. If the aim of the play was to not get sacked then sure he got greedy. But they were looking for a 1st down so I understand it. Remember it was 2nd and 11. Not 2nd and 2 so the drop if going for a 1st down is going to be a deep one.
A FG would've effectively sealed the win for them. They were in FG range when the ball was snapped. The sack cost them 12 yards and knocked them to the very edge of FG range. If Ryan had thrown the ball at Sanu's feet they'd have still been in FG range.
childofpudding

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
They didn't have the ball a lot, umm...they had 46 plays. In common sense it means that not having the ball a lot.

They had about as many drives as they normally do. They didn't run as many plays because the Patriots stopped them quickly on a lot of their drives. All 7 of their 10 unsuccessful drives lasted six plays or fewer. This isn't that difficult to understand.

reckless123 wrote:
Matt Ryan was sacked like 4 or 5 times. If Matt Ryan wasn't getting sacked on drives he was moving the ball.

Not sure if serious. Sacks count as plays, you know that, right? The Patriots defense, and not some magical force, sacked Matt Ryan, you know that, right? Ryan was sacked 2.3 times per game in the regular season. Last night the Patriots sacked him 5 times. If anything, you're helping to make my point for me.

reckless123 wrote:
I never said it was Vintage Falcons. They did have the way with Pats defense from 2nd Q onwards.

All four quarters matter, and the Patriots shut out the best offense in the league in two of them - the 1st and the 4th.

Even if you just look at the 2nd Q onwards:
- TD
- TD
- Punt
- TD
- Punt
- Fumble
- Punt
- Punt

Three TDs, four punts and a fumble. Unsuccessful on more than half of their drives from the 2nd quarter onwards. Not exactly "having their way with them."

Go on...
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWil23 wrote:
I always pictured that if the Browns ever got to a Super Bowl, this would be exactly how they'd lose it.

After last night, I'm betting on the Browns one upping the Falcons by having a plane crash.

It's not all bad, sounds like something I'd used to think about the Saints. Then we actually won it. There's hope for the Browns yet.

Saints
Astros
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)
O'Doyle Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think Seahawks should've ran the ball. Or is it the falcons? Hard to keep track these days
reckless123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

childofpudding wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

They had about as many drives as they normally do. They didn't run as many plays because the Patriots stopped them on a lot of their drives. This isn't that difficult to understand.

reckless123 wrote:

Not sure if serious. He was sacked by the Patriots defense. Sacks matter, just like completed passes and good runs do.

reckless123 wrote:

All four quarters matter, and the Patriots shut out the best offense in the league in two of them - the 1st and the 4th.

Even if you just look at the 2nd Q onwards:
- TD
- TD
- Punt
- TD
- Punt
- Fumble
- Punt
- Punt

Three TDs, four punts and a fumble. Unsuccessful on more than half of their drives from the 2nd quarter onwards. Not exactly "having their way with them."

Go on...

What? They didn't have the ball a lot because the Pats stopped them? Really. So the Pats dominating TOP just didn't happen.

Sacks matter, thanks. But yes I'll concede that part. I'm wrong there.

And they gave up 21 points in 2 quarters despite Patriots chewing up the clock. Which meant one defense was exhausted and the other was relatively fresh.

Be Humble. Sit Down.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Page 78 of 92

Jump to: