Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dionysus Offseason Mock #1...For Now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What grade would you give this early offseason mock?
A
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
B
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
C
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Dionysus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Dionysus Offseason Mock #1...For Now Reply with quote

Cut/Retire/Don't Resign
QB Matt Cassell
WR Kendall Wright
WR Marc Mariani
WR Harry Douglas
OG Chance Warmack
ILB Sean Spence
OLB David Bass
CB Valentino Blake
CB Brice McCain
S Rashad Johnson
TE Anthony Fasano

Resign
DL Karl Klug - Solid rotation player and more than earned his spot with us.
CB Justin McCourty - Rework his contract. Make him a transitional player FS/CB in sub packages. Lost a step but still a valuable player and leader on the field and locker room.

FA Signings
CB Logan Ryan
He'll be the new #1 as a tandem with Sims.
DT Dontari Poe
We'll have our dominant NT working with Casey.
WR Cordarrelle Patterson
Not a polished route runner, but still a game changer in the offense, and dangerous return man.
QB Case Keenum
Unlike Cassel, Keenum can push the ball down the field. And I think he'd be a better backup in this offense.

We trade with Arizona and get their 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 6th.
10 picks total (no 5th round picks)

1 #13 SS Jamal Adams
https://youtu.be/yW21xmW9-oc
I believe he slides out of the top 10 right to us. Pair him with Byard to make our Safety tandem.

1 #18 TE OJ Howard
https://youtu.be/CgGCLCBwzHU
I believe we'll miss out on Corey Davis, but we can still add a valuable weapon to the offense that Mariota will greatly appreciate.

2 #45 WR Cooper Kupp
https://youtu.be/Tw_80fL6OfY
Kendall Wright is gone, but Kupp should be a nice upgrade with his ability to get separation, great hands and attention to detail. Marcus will love him too.

3 #69 CB Adoree' Jackson
https://youtu.be/KPMUhfiQaV0
Valuable depth and possible starter, if need be. Plus return ability.

3 #82 ILB Anthony Walker Jr.
https://youtu.be/iPQaNZJjL3o
A beast in the making and future replacement for Woodyard.

4 #109 WR Ryan Switzer
https://youtu.be/XPsKGPnhgyg
Quality depth player who should be an upgrade from Harry Douglas.

4 #114 OLB Steven Taylor
https://youtu.be/_qQIbN3R0sI
Good depth player who should flourish in LeBeau's system in time. Can play the run and pass coverage.

6 #173 OG Danny Isidora
With Warmack gone, we'll need to add quality depth at the position.

6 #178 RB Elijah McGuire
https://youtu.be/IOaL8xRCdkM
We need to had a change-of-pace RB who can contribute in the passing game as well.

7 #210 OC Jon Toth
We'll need some extra backup at Center.

Last edited by Dionysus on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
KingTitan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious, who do you see the Cardinals moving up to get? Giving up that much, I'm assuming a QB?

I'm starting to wonder if Logan Ryan would be right here. I have a good sense they like him, but is he a boundary corner or a nickel corner. I feel like I read somewhere that he played better once he moved to the nickel.

The draft is awesome.
I think if we stay at #5, Jamal Adams is the choice. Even above Hooker. Too many quality CBs to burn a top 5 pick on one. Williams or Davis are the WR choices and I think they aren't top 5 worthy.

I like Howard, adds something to the team.

Cooper Kupp, not in love with, but seeing the good in him. He'd be a nice combo pickup to improve our passing game along with Howard.

Love Adoree and Walker Jr. I also love Switzer. (Switzer, Kupp and Howard is a big upgrade to the passing game.)
lamont

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO you are double dipping with Kupp and Switzer. I have seen more of Switzer. I haven't really seen Kupp other than last week at the Senior Bowl. I would just draft one of them, not both.

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
Dionysus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
Curious, who do you see the Cardinals moving up to get? Giving up that much, I'm assuming a QB?

I'm starting to wonder if Logan Ryan would be right here. I have a good sense they like him, but is he a boundary corner or a nickel corner. I feel like I read somewhere that he played better once he moved to the nickel.

Both Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald are long in the tooth and could be retiring sooner than later. I'm thinking Arizona might consider moving up to either secure their next franchise QB or WR in Mike Williams.
I think Logan Ryan would be a JR kind of guy. I just can't see Robinson breaking the bank and paying the kind of $$$ that Johnson or Bouye would demand. I had Stephon Gilmore as a primary target, and he's still a possibility for the right price. But Ryan seems more realistic.

lamont wrote:
IMO you are double dipping with Kupp and Switzer. I have seen more of Switzer. I haven't really seen Kupp other than last week at the Senior Bowl. I would just draft one of them, not both.

I double dipped by design. I had every intention of getting two receivers in the draft no matter who we got. I'm releasing 3 receivers in this mock, and only picked up Patterson in FA, so we still needed to replace the other two. Patterson is not a polished route runner, but he can make plays and be that X-factor we've been lacking in the passing game.
I've been eyeballing Ryan Switzer for a couple of years and feel we should take him in the mid rounds, if he's still there. He's been compared to Julian Edelman in one scouting report...go figure. I've only learned of Cooper Kupp this year and like everything I've seen and heard about him. He's definitely a player coaches will love, and will be one of Mariota's best friends in a hurry. These two are the kind of guys who can keep the chains moving.

Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the infactuation with NT's. Dline is our biggest strength on defense.

I guess I also don't get the logic of why JRob would be so hesitant to spend big money on a CB, which is our roster's biggest hole, but wouldn't blink at giving Poe what will likely be huge money add to one of the strongest units of our team. Considering Poe's not a pass rusher and run defense is not a weakness. Its a very odd alocation of resources.

I mean he'll at least get more than Snacks Harrison's 9million/yr I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get somewhere near malik Jackson's 14+ million/yr

Plus JRob drafted Austin Johnson with a 2nd round pick last year to be our NT. Spending that much on the same position basically means that you wasted one of our 2nds last year.

**RIP Steve McNair**
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
I don't understand the infactuation with NT's. Dline is our biggest strength on defense.

I guess I also don't get the logic of why JRob would be so hesitant to spend big money on a CB, which is our roster's biggest hole, but wouldn't blink at giving Poe what will likely be huge money add to one of the strongest units of our team. Considering Poe's not a pass rusher and run defense is not a weakness. Its a very odd alocation of resources.

I mean he'll at least get more than Snacks Harrison's 9million/yr I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get somewhere near malik Jackson's 14+ million/yr

Plus JRob drafted Austin Johnson with a 2nd round pick last year to be our NT. Spending that much on the same position basically means that you wasted one of our 2nds last year.

Been trying to say this for a while when people keep mentioning Poe. Plus he's had back issues. Austin Johnson stole the NT job right from Woods last year and played pretty well. Just don't see why we'd move on already especially on a position that plays a very small amount anyways.

Adopt-A-Titan:
Avery Williamson
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we'll go after someone like Poe this offseason, although I did want Snacks last season (and Billings). Johnson started showing up towards the end of last season, and gives me hope that he's ready to take over the starting spot. (I also have hope for Woods... Antwaun... to provide a solid rotation with Johnson).

I've clamored for a true NT since LeBeau came aboard, Lebeau's zone blitz style works best with that clog in the middle... allowing everyone else to free lance a little more knowing that the A gaps are taken care of... with the ILBs free to roam the run (with the NT taking up blockers), the DEs and OLBs have a little more freedom to look to pash rush first. It's not about just improving run defense... it's about helping the pass rush too.

Horton was the exact opposite, with little to no importance on the NT... and people eat it up because it also gets sacks. But his run defenses are typically bad... and the defenses suffer as a whole.

But our line is good right now... there is good solid depth up and down the line. We don't have a star in the group outside of Casey. But the unit works good together last year. I've heard Calais Campbell being mentioned to us, but he'd be too big of an investment on the line (even at his age, he'll get upwards of $10M/year). I could see us going after a rotational guy who can help with the pass rush... someone like Chris Baker would be ideal... as an upgrade in the Klug role... although the market may make him richer than I'm thinking (some may see him as a starter, instead of a rotational guy).

As for the draft... I don't understand the shift to offense that seems to be taking over the board recently. Yes... a #1 WR would be amazing... but taking 2 receiving options with our first 3 picks (and another WR in the 4ht)? Adding a good option at WR gives Mariota 4 very good options in the pass game (that WR, Matthews, Walker, and Murray)... I also expect Henry's workload to increase... both in the run and pass game. That's 5 deep... so why exactly invest so heavily for the 6th and 7th options? Especially when our pass defense was atrocious last season.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:

As for the draft... I don't understand the shift to offense that seems to be taking over the board recently. Yes... a #1 WR would be amazing... but taking 2 receiving options with our first 3 picks (and another WR in the 4ht)? Adding a good option at WR gives Mariota 4 very good options in the pass game (that WR, Matthews, Walker, and Murray)... I also expect Henry's workload to increase... both in the run and pass game. That's 5 deep... so why exactly invest so heavily for the 6th and 7th options? Especially when our pass defense was atrocious last season.

In the first 3 rounds, I gave us 5 picks. Three of those five are defensive players (SS, CB, ILB), so it's almost even pickings. Yes, we need improvement in the secondary, specifically at CB, and it was addressed in FA first, and the 3rd round (depth). Not to mention our starting SS with the first pick. But we also desperately need better talent and more bodies at WR outside of just Matthews. I'm confident that Tajae Sharpe will continue to improve and be a factor. But after Matthews and Sharpe, what do we have? McBride is still a question mark and might not be around long if he don't step up his game soon. We're letting 3 receivers walk in this mock, so we need to replace them with better talent who can possibly build us a better receiving corps. Wright had moments, but was inconsistent. Douglas made a play here and there, but nothing special. Mariani was just a safety valve and stopgap for the return game and nothing more. Yes, in spite of Mariota's success in our passing game this year, we still need a receiving corps.

I know a lot of people are against taking a TE in the 1st round when we got other glaring needs, I get that. But let's face it, these remaining 2 years could be Walker's last run, and Fasano is just about done. If Howard is specifically a talent that the staff targeted for the future, then they'll need to get him early even if it means the 1st round. His in-line blocking is well established which is a major plus for our style of offense, though his pass-catching stats suffered for it. But he'll get far more opportunities in that area with us, and should be our primed #1 when Delanie eventually steps down. We have Jace Amaro, but he's mostly a pass-catcher. I have no problem with that, but his blocking is still shabby and that's not gonna cut it in our offense, plain and simple.
These picks addresses our needs and continues building for the future in all 3 phases of the game.

Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also given Palmer and Fitzgerald look poised to return. I doubt they would make a move like this. They're in win now mode. #13 and #45 could yield starters for them. Doubt they trade all that presumably to get a QB.

Not a big fan of Kupp in this offense. He's essentially the same WR as Tajae sharpe. 6'2ish 200ish lbs, both more quick than fast, both are technicians as route runner and both struggle to get separation, but have great hands to make contested catches. Rather have a guy who give us a different dynamic.

I'd rather sign a WR in FA who can actually play in this offense as opposed to Patterson. We saw Kendall Wright fail massively in this offense because he was not a polished route runner. Even though his expectaions would be much smaller, I don't see him being much more than a guy who stands in the endzone and watches touchbacks sail over his head.

As for TE, I agree with the need, but this is shaping up to be one of the more deeper TE classes in years. Is #18 really the time to address that position? I'd rather grab a higher rated CB considering in this mock you have Sims or Adoree starting opposite Ryan. I'd feel real uneasy going into next year with Sims competing with a 3rd round pick for a starting spot opposite whoever we sign.

**RIP Steve McNair**
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it back with Kupp, I wanna see what he runs, before I judge his speed.

**RIP Steve McNair**
KingTitan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kupp...Zay Jones..those guys to me, like Choc said, are Tajae Sharpe in this offense.
Are they anymore dynamic than Sharpe? To me, no. Going back and looking at Sharpe at UMASS, he made plays like Jones/Kupp. He looks just as fast as they do now.
And we see how that translated over to the NFL.
Now nothing wrong with gathering a stable of dependable WRs, but you also risk becoming an offense that is easier to defend.

I think we are going to go for a WR that isn't like one on the roster. A bigger guy like Williams or speedster.

I can see us going after a guy like Pryor and drafting someone like Ross III, in the 2nd. Yeah, I think Ross III is an 2nd round prospect. If Desean Jackson can go in the 2nd, so can Ross III especially with all this CB talent that is looking to push into the 1st.

More and more I think about it, I can see them go after Jack Doyle in FA at TE. I don't think we need to draft a TE in the 1st. Murlakey might love TEs, but maybe he is like Munchak and can turn the lowest of prospect into productive starters. Take an 3rd/4th round TE and make him a starter.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
Kupp...Zay Jones..those guys to me, like Choc said, are Tajae Sharpe in this offense.
Are they anymore dynamic than Sharpe? To me, no. Going back and looking at Sharpe at UMASS, he made plays like Jones/Kupp. He looks just as fast as they do now.
And we see how that translated over to the NFL.
Now nothing wrong with gathering a stable of dependable WRs, but you also risk becoming an offense that is easier to defend.

I think we are going to go for a WR that isn't like one on the roster. A bigger guy like Williams or speedster.

I can see us going after a guy like Pryor and drafting someone like Ross III, in the 2nd. Yeah, I think Ross III is an 2nd round prospect. If Desean Jackson can go in the 2nd, so can Ross III especially with all this CB talent that is looking to push into the 1st.

More and more I think about it, I can see them go after Jack Doyle in FA at TE. I don't think we need to draft a TE in the 1st. Murlakey might love TEs, but maybe he is like Munchak and can turn the lowest of prospect into productive starters. Take an 3rd/4th round TE and make him a starter.

If we can't get Corey Davis in the 1st, then getting John Ross in 2nd round would be wonderful. His speed would be a great asset in our offense. The only problem with that is I think he'll be gone by then. If we have him as one of our targets, I'd prefer we trade down from the #18 spot and get him then.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: