Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hokie mock off-season 1.0

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hokie


Joined: 01 Apr 2012
Posts: 1115
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Hokie mock off-season 1.0 Reply with quote

Bored and taking a quick shot at the off-season. I'll post another one at a later time, but as always, my mock off-seasons are done trying to be as realistic (Bengalish) as possible. I'm projecting the Bengals to get two 4ths, a 5th, and a 6th in compensatory selections. I'll also project the Bengals to trade McCarron and a 2017 5th rounder for a 2018 2nd round pick and 2017 3rd rounder. Seems fair.

Re-sign (if not listed, they walk):

Whitworth
Kirkpatrick
LaFell
Peerman
Dansby
Bullock (already re-signed)
TJ Johnson
Winston
Dawson

Cut:
Pacman
Maualuga

Free agents:

OG Larry Warford (Zeitler replacement)
NT Sylvester Williams (cheap Peko replacement)
DE William Gholston (cheap DE who adds depth)

Draft:

1. Soloman Thomas, DE, Stanford - the Bengals pass rush after Geno and Dunlap is anemic and it must be addressed in free agency or the draft. Luckily for the Bengals, they should have options at 9 (Thomas, Barnett, Charlton). Thomas is a guy I really like. Well-built player with a high motor. Has a wide array of pass rush moves. He's a little shorter than what the Bengals typically go for at DE but isn't small at 6'3. Several mocks don't have him making it to 9.

2. Christian McCaffery, RB, Stanford - surprise! Bernard is a likely PUP candidate and I think Burkhead walks for more playing time. If this happens, Bengals are likely to take a RB fairly early. McCaffery would push Hill as a rookie. Guy hits the hole hard and has good vision, can catch out of the backfield, and is extremely quick. Would have a chance to take the position and run with it.

3A. Marcus Maye, S, Florida - safety is very deep in this draft. Iloka was up and down this past year, as was Williams, and the Bengals don't have much depth behind them. Maye is highly instinctive, is fast, and is good in coverage. Should contribute on special teams early and could push for a starting gig sooner rather than later.

3B. Malachi Dupree, WR, LSU - explosive deep threat option with good size. I suspect the Bengals will re-sign LaFell but even with the two WRs they drafted last year, they really need more young talent at WR. Particularly, they need a deep threat. Dupree could potentially be that guy but needs work.

4A. Isaac Asiata, OG, Utah - this mock has the Bengals losing Zeitler (but also picking up a solid replacement). Even if Zeitler is retained, the Bengals need to add depth to the OL. Asiata is a mean player and can also play center. Future replacement for Bodine?

4B. Avery Moss, DE, Youngstown St. - the Bengals have shown that they're not afraid to double down on positions with multiple picks in the same draft. As mentioned, the Bengals pass rush last year was putrid. Originally played at Nebraska. Some character concerns but he has potential as an edge rusher. As I've mentioned, I think improving the pass rush should be the #1 season priority.

4C. Issac Rochell, DE/DT, Notre Dame - good run defender who needs to work on his pass rush moves. I suspect he'll stick on a 53 man as a rookie just because he does all the little things well. Doesn't offer elite potential but I think he carves out a nice career as a Frostee Rucker run-stuffing DE type. I think the Bengals could get more value out of him than they can with Hunt or Clarke, two picks that I hated.

5. Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell - elite size and arm length but extremely raw. Ogbuehi has been terrible and Fisher has been mediocre at best; with Whitworth aging, the Bengals would be wise to grab an OT at some point to start grooming. The kind of guy you try to stash on a practice squad for a year and hope you get a good ROI by year two.

6A. Alek Torgersen, QB, Penn - practice squad QB who they try to groom to be Dalton's backup

6B. James Onwualu, LB, Notre Dame - undersized LB who offers potential as a coverage LB. Has a chance to stick on a 53 man as a rookie due to special teams availability.

7. Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA - decent size, practice squad candidate. We'll draft a corner at some point.

Obviously the Bengals need to make re-signing Zeitler a priority but with Pacman's potential suspension/cut looming, I think they'll mistakenly make Dre a priority over him. I hope I'm wrong.

Anyway, feel free to offer up some thoughts!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
INbengalfan


Joined: 21 Jan 2006
Posts: 7753
Location: Richmond, IN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like most of your re-signings. I, like everyone else, will be pi$$ed if they lose Zeitler. Why re-sign dansby though?

In the draft, I like Thomas, but to me, he's more of a Gilberry type, a DT/DE type. He's strong, but is he explosive enough to play RDE? I'm not saying he couldn't be, but I'm not sold yet.

McCaffrey would be interesting. I haven't looked much at him because I assume he will be gone by pick 2.9, plus with the depth at RB, I think they will wait. But we all know the sweet spot for this team and RBs is round two

Love May

Really love Dupre, but by now most of you know that. Where did that pick come from? We get two fourths, not a third and fourth. Given that, unless it's for McCarron, I'd take Dupre higher than Maye. Or did we trade up?

I like the Asiata pick, a lot.

Don't know much about Moss. If we go smaller school for the other DE, I like the kid out of Ohio U (Basham??)

The team seemed to like Davenport, so we will see. They always take at least one of the senior bowl guys in the draft that they interview.

The rest are just guys to me. Don't know enough about any of them to comment intelligently.

Great effort.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johndeere1707


Joined: 01 Apr 2006
Posts: 7245
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only pick I don't like is the Maye pick. I disagree and think our Safety Depth is great. After re signing Shawn Williams I don't think Maye would start.
_________________


Thanks to mike23md for the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ochocinco4pres


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 26404
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree a S in the 3rd is a bit early. Personally I am a big fan of the rest of the draft and offseason.

I would still like us to resign Zeitler over a guy like Warford, but it is better than nothing.
_________________


Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jason_Bengal_Fl


Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Posts: 5468
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not upset about not re-signing Zeitler, because I expect it. I would let Dansby walk though.

I'll be jumping for joy if we get Thomas, but I think he's long gone by 9.

Love the Dupre and Asiata picks.
_________________
2017 Draft Needs: Interior O-line, Pass Rushing DE, Linebacker, Kicker, Overall Team Speed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ochocinco4pres


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 26404
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
I'm not upset about not re-signing Zeitler, because I expect it. I would let Dansby walk though.

I'll be jumping for joy if we get Thomas, but I think he's long gone by 9.

Love the Dupre and Asiata picks.


I just worry what the right side of our O line would look like next year. Bodine-Who?-Fisher/Ced

That would be brutal
_________________


Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrCincinnati


Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 2635
Location: Hamilton, OH
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't get a chance to respond to this sooner, so here it goes.

The free agency resignings are all reasonable. If they went out and signed Walford to replace Zeitler, I wouldn't be upset at all, but its not likely IMO. Williams and Gholston are realistic moves, signing Williams would spell the end of Peko which would make me happy.

As for the draft....

1.Thomas would be a good pick and is my top choice at DE (Not counting Garrett or Allen). As I've asked others, I want to see who you had going in the first 8 picks.

2.I'd have no problem with this move either. Getting a RB this early may seem bad, but they need somebody that's going to give this team a jumpstart, and McCaffrey can do it.

3a.Not a fan of this pick. S is just not a priority compared to some of the other gaping holes on this team.

3b.Dupree is a good pick here, because they need a WR with some speed. I only question where he will get playing time with Lafell, Boyd, and Core already ahead in the pecking order.

4a.Solid pick, because even though you had them sign Walford, depth wouldn't hurt either.

4b.Hate this pick a lot. Moss is a guy who I could see going undrafted, and even though you mentioned they could double down on this position, what about some of the other needs on this team?

4c.Now I'm really confused. Drafting 3 possible DE's as well as another guy that could go undrafted IMO. The only thing that doesn't make this pick a complete disaster, is you mentioned he can play DT, so that's where he would go.

5.Great pick here, because not only do they get another OT to help out as depth, its great value for a guy who could go in the 3rd round. Only issue is they may need to cut Winston

6a.They will need another QB for sure if McCarron gets traded, but is Torgersen really the best option they can find?

6b.Another practice squad pick at best IMO, would of preferred getting a LB a lot sooner.

7.This would be a excellent excellent excellent steal if Moreau somehow slid this far in the draft, because I think he's at least a 3rd round selection right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jason_Bengal_Fl


Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Posts: 5468
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
I'm not upset about not re-signing Zeitler, because I expect it. I would let Dansby walk though.

I'll be jumping for joy if we get Thomas, but I think he's long gone by 9.

Love the Dupre and Asiata picks.


I just worry what the right side of our O line would look like next year. Bodine-Who?-Fisher/Ced

That would be brutal


Given the draft, Asiata would be the RG. And I think he will be a good one. Especially in the run game.
_________________
2017 Draft Needs: Interior O-line, Pass Rushing DE, Linebacker, Kicker, Overall Team Speed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ochocinco4pres


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 26404
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
I'm not upset about not re-signing Zeitler, because I expect it. I would let Dansby walk though.

I'll be jumping for joy if we get Thomas, but I think he's long gone by 9.

Love the Dupre and Asiata picks.


I just worry what the right side of our O line would look like next year. Bodine-Who?-Fisher/Ced

That would be brutal


Given the draft, Asiata would be the RG. And I think he will be a good one. Especially in the run game.


Ok so we are banking on a rookie RG to play next to one of those RT and Bodine? Andy would be murdered
_________________


Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jason_Bengal_Fl


Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Posts: 5468
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
I'm not upset about not re-signing Zeitler, because I expect it. I would let Dansby walk though.

I'll be jumping for joy if we get Thomas, but I think he's long gone by 9.

Love the Dupre and Asiata picks.


I just worry what the right side of our O line would look like next year. Bodine-Who?-Fisher/Ced

That would be brutal


Given the draft, Asiata would be the RG. And I think he will be a good one. Especially in the run game.


Ok so we are banking on a rookie RG to play next to one of those RT and Bodine? Andy would be murdered


Rookie linemen aren't always bad.

Oh, and we signed Warford to play RG
_________________
2017 Draft Needs: Interior O-line, Pass Rushing DE, Linebacker, Kicker, Overall Team Speed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ochocinco4pres


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 26404
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
I'm not upset about not re-signing Zeitler, because I expect it. I would let Dansby walk though.

I'll be jumping for joy if we get Thomas, but I think he's long gone by 9.

Love the Dupre and Asiata picks.


I just worry what the right side of our O line would look like next year. Bodine-Who?-Fisher/Ced

That would be brutal


Given the draft, Asiata would be the RG. And I think he will be a good one. Especially in the run game.


Ok so we are banking on a rookie RG to play next to one of those RT and Bodine? Andy would be murdered


Rookie linemen aren't always bad.

Oh, and we signed Warford to play RG


Forgot about Warford so that helps.

And you are correct, not all rookie lineman are bad, but I wouldnt want to bank on a 4th rounder stepping in to hold down the line
_________________


Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hokie


Joined: 01 Apr 2012
Posts: 1115
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the responses, fellas. Work keeps me busy during the 1st quarter of the year and I don't have a ton of free time. I'm going to address the high points -

- INBENGAL, the extra 3rd came from the proposed McCarron trade I suggested. I'm really curious to see what happens with him this off-season. It's obvious that the Bengals need to move him and get something of value, but they're already going to have (likely) 11 picks in this draft. I don't see any team giving up a 1st, and I think the best we can hope for is a 2nd. Given how we already have a ton of picks in this draft, and we have McCarron for two more years, I could see the Bengals trading him for picks in the 2018 draft or just waiting until next year to trade him. They're convinced they deserve a 1st for him, and my fear is that we're just going to hold him for two years and let him walk as a free agent. I hope I'm wrong.

- Thomas is definitely more of a power than speed DE guy, but he's also very quick and highly athletic. From what I've read, he also has a wide array of pass rush moves and he's unpredictable in how he uses them. As far as realistic selections go (no Garrett or Allen), he and Foster are at the top of my list. I like Foster a bit more as a prospect but Thomas fills a bigger need. I don't hate Barnett, but I greatly prefer Thomas at this point.

- There was some "meh" reactions to Maye. While yes, safety isn't a need in the sense that we need a new starter, we have little to no depth at the position. Smith has played well in flashes but has had a hard time staying healthy. Fejedelem is just a guy to me (I see no starting potential there). Iloka was rewarded with a big deal but didn't play particularly well last year, and Williams has been up and down his entire career. I think the Bengals would be wise to use a high to mid round selection on a safety (hell, I'd strongly consider Hooker if he fell to 9).

- My mock didn't have us losing Zeitler because I want him gone, but rather I don't think the Bengals pony up. I think re-signing Dre is a near-lock and a top priority (after Whit) for the Bengals, given Pacman's situation. The Bengals, for whatever reason, have been hesitant to give Zeitler a DeCastro-type deal, and some team out there definitely will. I hope I'm wrong on this one, because it would be a shame to see the Bengals draft and develop an All-Pro caliber guard just to see him walk as he enters his prime.

- Mr. C - I went heavy on DE because, while the Bengals obviously have a lot of needs, the biggest weakness in my eyes is the pass rush. Dunlap and Atkins are obviously stalwarts and this mock has us getting Thomas, but what else do we have? Peko will walk or come back and be ineffective, Billings has never played a down and may not be the same after his injury, Hardison hasn't been able to stay healthy, Clarke has done little to nothing, Hunt is a bust and may walk, Gilberry is a guy we picked up off the street, and Johnson looked like he was 100 years old last year. The DL is the obvious weak spot of the team (while the OL and LBs need work too) and the position is one that the Bengals, IMO, have largely ignored in recent years. Not every one of the likely 11 picks will stick as a rookie. I'd be fine (happy even) if the Bengals used three of them on pass rushers and let them battle it out for time in camp. Throw enough stuff at the wall and something is bound to stick...

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably come up with a new one in a few weeks, once we get an idea how free agency may shake out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group