You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Shots fired

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Shots fired Reply with quote

Quote:
Gregg Williams offered abundant praise of quarterback Drew Brees Thursday, the man who helped lead the New Orleans Saints to a Super Bowl championship in 2009 when Williams was defensive coordinator.

But, it's hard to overlook the underlying message in one of the compliments Williams paid Brees when talking to reporters after Senior Bowl practices at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

"And I've said this over and over again, that one of the best football players I have ever been around in my life is Drew Brees. Drew Brees makes lots of coaches smart."

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2017/01/former_saints_dc_gregg_william_1.html#incart_river_index

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Get 'em Gregg!
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Shots fired Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
Quote:
Gregg Williams offered abundant praise of quarterback Drew Brees Thursday, the man who helped lead the New Orleans Saints to a Super Bowl championship in 2009 when Williams was defensive coordinator.

But, it's hard to overlook the underlying message in one of the compliments Williams paid Brees when talking to reporters after Senior Bowl practices at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

"And I've said this over and over again, that one of the best football players I have ever been around in my life is Drew Brees. Drew Brees makes lots of coaches smart."

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2017/01/former_saints_dc_gregg_william_1.html#incart_river_index

When I saw that quote the first thing I thought of was... BOOM!!! Laughing

Seriously though, it was about as good a dig Williams could give Payton as the one year he wasn't with the team Brees still lead the offense to a top 5 ranking but once again had to deal with a historically bad defense that finished DEAD last.

Brees is and always been clearly Payton's saving grace... now I still feel Payton is a creative offensive mind when it comes to creating passing concepts but that is about the only area of his job he excels.

WHODAT91FOREVER
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Shots fired Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:

Brees is and always been clearly Payton's saving grace... now I still feel Payton is a creative offensive mind when it comes to creating passing concepts but that is about the only area of his job he excels.

1000000000000000000000000 % right! Payton is not the well rounded coach we all figured he'd be...especially after bountygate.

I heard Ray Lewis might get into coaching. I want him as LB coach!

Mid Iowa wrote:
trade Browner to Canada for a tub of fine Maple syrup, and call it a night.
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that we're not all too fond of Payton here anymore but we don't win the Super Bowl without him. Yes, Brees is more important and makes Payton look better than he is, but Payton still designed the offensive scheme we have ran for 10 years now and it still produces. We had/have the best offensive scheme in the league. He is inconsistent in his playcalling but his play design was 2nd to none. His downfall these last few years has been him not willing to let his DC handle the defense (and hiring the wrong guys). As well as his loyalty to our assistants. However, the fact is we don't win the Super Bowl without him and it's upsetting to see all of you guys discount that and pretend he had nothing to do with it just because we're not successful now. Andy Reid had bad results at the end of his Philly tenure but it didn't mean he had nothing to do with their earlier success and it was all McNabb, just to use an example.

We have had one of the greatest offensive runs in NFL history, maybe even the best. Fact is, just having an elite QB is not enough to do that. You say our offense was still top 5 without him in 2012 but ignore the fact that it was still Payton's scheme, he just wasn't there calling the plays. He was possibly the most aggressive coach in the league for a while there, including calling a damn onside kick in the Super Bowl. So do I think Payton has lost his fire and is not a great coach anymore (at least not here, might work out with a change of scenery like Reid)? Yes, that doesn't discount what he did do here from 06-11 though. Payton just can't build a defense, and you need one to win. You can make it far with offense (see: 09, 11, 13 Broncos, 16 Falcons, etc) but need at least a below average D. We're constantly at the bottom. I won't use that to discount the aggressive, high flying team he helped build here first though. If on a scale of 1-10 I was rating how important they were to our success during that run, I'd say Brees is a 10, Payton a 7.5, and Williams a 5.5.

Saints
Astros
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)
Mid Iowa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Shots fired Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
I heard Ray Lewis might get into coaching. I want him as LB coach!
I have always loved Lewis' ability and attitude. I agree with you 100%
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't stand Ray's "rah-rah" pseudo-spiritual motivation speeches. Dude just rambles, talks for 5 minutes and says nothing.

Could turn into a great coach, hopefully he keeps the showmanship to a minimum.
Mid Iowa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
I just can't stand Ray's "rah-rah" pseudo-spiritual motivation speeches. Dude just rambles, talks for 5 minutes and says nothing.
But you and I don't matter, as long as it gets his people fired up. His people are all that matter. The guy can motivate, no doubt! Just look at the lack of fire from the entire Baltimore D once he stepped aside. They're still good, but they weren't even close to the same attitude without Sugar Ray.

.....exercise the mute button Wink
Breesus mode

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Shots fired Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
Quote:

When I saw that quote the first thing I thought of was... BOOM!!! Laughing

Seriously though, it was about as good a dig Williams could give Payton as the one year he wasn't with the team Brees still lead the offense to a top 5 ranking but once again had to deal with a historically bad defense that finished DEAD last.

Agreed, I think its long past time payton should have been shown the door.
you missed a bowl game at the end of your season

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: