Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New Stadium?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because Nashville is a "viable" city, doesn't mean it will get a SB any time soon. And it goes beyond the stadium issue... which would still be a requirement (and as some have already stated, it'd be hard to replace a pretty young stadium that is probably still being paid for... public bonds)

Most NFL cities (GB/Buff being the obvious exceptions) are SB viable cities. I saw somewhere that 30k hotel rooms are required... Nashville website states there are 29k in Nashville and close to 40k in the metro. But then you look at cities like Houston (120k rooms), Dallas (120k rooms), Phoenix (90k rooms), NY (130k rooms), Atlanta (90k rooms)... and even the smaller SB cities like Miami (60k rooms), NOLA (50k rooms), and Nashville is in the lower half or even lower 3rd in terms of hotel.

Then there's additional infrastructure... venues for official NFL events, venues for unofficial events, restaurants, public transportation... etc. Jacksonville was able to get around the hotel room issue by docking cruise liners and using them as water hotels... but it was considered a failure because they lacked the infrastructure beyond that to accommodate the needs of the SB. I'd think Nashville would be lumped in a similar group with Jacksonville (and probably the Ohio cities, KC, Charlotte, etc)... nice cities... just not really SB viable cities... if we're speaking realistically.

Expect to see Dallas, Houston, LA, Phoenix, Miami, Atlanta, and Las Vegas (when the Raiders move and get their stadium) to be the heavy weights when it comes to SBs in the next decade or so... with a surprise city sprinkled in between (Minneapolis) once in a while.

Last edited by ragevsuall17 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
KingTitan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a lifetime resident of Nashville, we aren't ready to host a Super Bowl. We have a transportation issue as it is.
No real public transportation system outside of a dated bus system.

Ubers. Lyfts and taxi's. It would be non-stop traffic around the city and stadium.

If the goal of a new stadium is to try to get a Super Bowl, I don't think we need it.
If you talking about raising the popularity of the team due to the stadium, I disagree. Only winning will do that.
The Lions or Colts are no more popular now than they were before they hosted and build a new stadium.

Just need to accept we may never host a Super Bowl and that's ok with me. Again, not hosting a super bowl hasn't hurt the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, of the world. Just need to win and establish decades of winning. Smile that's all. Lol
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
If you talking about raising the popularity of the team due to the stadium, I disagree. Only winning will do that.
The Lions or Colts are no more popular now than they were before they hosted and build a new stadium.

Just need to accept we may never host a Super Bowl and that's ok with me. Again, not hosting a super bowl hasn't hurt the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, of the world. Just need to win and establish decades of winning. Smile that's all. Lol

Hosting a SB has nothing to do with the team. It's all about the city. The city experiences the economic windfalls and hardships... not the team. Maybe stadium upgrades are included as part of the package a city puts together, but the team wouldn't be expected to foot the bill (and on the flip side, I'm sure cities are requiring/requesting a SB when approving funding for new stadiums... to help offset promote the stadium, offset costs from the public funds of construction, etc).

No one will become a Texans fan on February 5th because Houston is hosting the SB. The Texans won't receive additional cap space for hosting the SB. Other than some possible funds for stadium improvements, the Texans won't benefit from having the SB played in their stadium.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Titans stadium lease goes until 2028 and I'm pretty sure they can't break it. So serious stadium talks probably won't even begin until 2025 at the earliest.

**RIP Steve McNair**
KingTitan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that hosting a Super Bowl doesn't do much for the team.

I can agree the benefit of hosting can boost the city's infrastructure. Kind of like cities after hosting the Olympics. It forces a city to build and improve in other ways they probably wouldn't have.

I just don't see a new stadium on the horizon. Not for at least another 10 years. 5-6 maybe conversation starts.
titans0021

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest benefit of Nashville hosting the Super Bowl would be that it puts pressure on the city to do something about the public transportation system. It's basically non-existent, which is just crazy for a big city that's only getting bigger. I was in Minneapolis about a month before I went to Nashville this year and the light rail system and user-friendliness of the bus system in Minneapolis was only driven home more.

Granted, I'm also close to Milwaukee, which compares to Nashville in terms of useless public transport. I'd certainly agree that, as it's currently set up, there's virtually no way Nashville could host a Super Bowl. The amount of traffic brought in for those two weeks would cause the city to borderline shut down.

I don't necessarily think the new stadium (and any potential SB that could go with it) are coming any time soon anyways, but it's going to become more of a discussion as more and more new stadiums are built. My estimated timeline would be five years until discussions, probably seven or eight years until real plans would be finalized and a new stadium to open like the 2027-28 season. At that point, Nissan Stadium is nearing 30 years old and you're getting a deal out of the way before any serious relocation talks start happening before the lease runs out.

Looking back, my earlier posts may have been giving the impression that I thought it was a far more immediate thing than I really think it is. Laughing

Props to mike23md on the sig
VY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
Being a lifetime resident of Nashville, we aren't ready to host a Super Bowl. We have a transportation issue as it is.
No real public transportation system outside of a dated bus system.

Ubers. Lyfts and taxi's. It would be non-stop traffic around the city and stadium.

Dude... I went to the SB in Dallas 5 years ago or so at Jerryworld, that was a logistical nightmare. They pretty much closed off every road within a mile of the stadium so you had to walk (which, being as the only thing out there is a friggin Wal-Mart that really sucked).

We may not have the public transportation by any means, but most Super Bowl cities don't. Traffic would be horrendous but I imagine that is how it goes in every Super Bowl city. I think the bigger issue would be having hotel capacity downtown, which has certainly grown by a ton the past 5 years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: