Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coaching Staff Vacancies Filled

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 11034
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Coaching Staff Vacancies Filled Reply with quote

Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec ‏@jeffzrebiecsun 23m23 minutes ago
Ravens will fill their coaching staff vacancies with promotions.Craig Ver Steeg will be the QB coach, working with Marty Mornhinweg.


Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec ‏@jeffzrebiecsun 21m21 minutes ago
Chris Hewitt will be the secondary coach. Defensive asst. Mike MacDonald will assist Hewitt w/secondary. Drew Wilkins will be Asst DL coach.


Pretty underwhelming to be honest. I doubt much will change. At least Castillo is gone.

EDIT:

Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec ‏@jeffzrebiecsun 10m10 minutes ago
Wanted to clarify something w/coaching stuff: Marty Mornhinweg is OC/QB coach. Craig Ver Steeg will work w/QBs as offensive assistant


Which makes sense. Mornhinweg would be the voice in Joe's ear and Ver Steeg would supposedly work with QBs on... QB things. A shame that it probably won't make a difference on Flacco's constant reverting to poor mechanics. Most likely need a new voice/coach for that if it can be fixed at all. Joe is 32 after all and has never really progressed in that regard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
M.10.E


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 1665
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax man.

We can't be getting worked up over secondary/QB coaches too. We'll be fine.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 11739
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought of mechanics as an issue for Flacco. His throwing motion has always been textbook. He's no Bortles for sure.

There have been some footwork issues, mainly throwing off his back foot, but I don't know if that's something that's tied to coaching. It's a matter of him being comfortable in the pocket. You can't coach faith in the O-line and a surgically repaired leg.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 11034
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.10.E wrote:
Relax man.

We can't be getting worked up over secondary/QB coaches too. We'll be fine.


Probably not. No significant coaching changes = no significant playing changes. It's not like the team is going to go out and get a totally new roster that fits their coaching perfectly (which is what would be needed to succeed with Mornhinweg and Pees). Moving on from Castillo is great but D'Alessandro is no sure bet to improve the line and even if he does there are other issues. It's used a lot around here but:



wackywabbit wrote:
I never thought of mechanics as an issue for Flacco. His throwing motion has always been textbook. He's no Bortles for sure.

There have been some footwork issues, mainly throwing off his back foot, but I don't know if that's something that's tied to coaching. It's a matter of him being comfortable in the pocket. You can't coach faith in the O-line and a surgically repaired leg.


I view footwork as a part of mechanics. It's just as important as the throwing motion. Flacco has had bad footwork all of his career but hasn't had poor offensive line play all of his career. To be honest it didn't look like his knee hindered him much this past season. Bad decision making that leads to bad throws is all on him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 11739
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, just going to disagree, then. To me, Flacco's footwork has pretty clearly been tied to how good the line protects him, especially from the interior. During the 2012 run with KO-Birk-Yanda in the middle, there were no issues, and even when faced with pressure he did everything right in terms of steps to evade the rush and get of a quality throw.

Also, I don't know how you can conclude that coming off the injury didn't affect Flacco. He was so freaking bad the first half of the year, before the bye week. Like replacement level QB. He has literally not played close to that poorly since maybe the preseason of his rookie year. You can't tell me that was the same QB, we've watched the past 7 years, with no ill effects from the injury.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mancunian Raven


Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 3431
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
I never thought of mechanics as an issue for Flacco. His throwing motion has always been textbook. He's no Bortles for sure.

There have been some footwork issues, mainly throwing off his back foot, but I don't know if that's something that's tied to coaching. It's a matter of him being comfortable in the pocket. You can't coach faith in the O-line and a surgically repaired leg.


I think everything that Joe has struggled with, at times, over the last couple of years, are things that a good QB coach could help him improve on.

Yeah, his main issues has been throwing off the back foot, and moving around in the pocket. They were issues before his injury too. They seem to have built over the course of the last three seasons. We've seen inconsistent QBs who have made massive improvements in their games, thanks to effective coaching. It's a shame the Ravens don't seem to put much importance on the position of QB coach.

Honestly, these appointments just smack of more mediocre consistency from Harbs and his staff. A couple of internal guys who have been shunted around because they're not finding suitable roles, but Harbs likes them.

I have more hopes that Flacco will be better next season, because between D'Allesandro, Roman, Mornhinweg and Ver Steeg, I think there's more of a chance of them finding the right balance for the offense.

I doubt Chris Hewitt makes any positive difference to the secondary. He's been there before.
_________________


Last edited by Mancunian Raven on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 11034
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Yea, just going to disagree, then. To me, Flacco's footwork has pretty clearly been tied to how good the line protects him, especially from the interior. During the 2012 run with KO-Birk-Yanda in the middle, there were no issues, and even when faced with pressure he did everything right in terms of steps to evade the rush and get of a quality throw.

Also, I don't know how you can conclude that coming off the injury didn't affect Flacco. He was so freaking bad the first half of the year, before the bye week. Like replacement level QB. He has literally not played close to that poorly since maybe the preseason of his rookie year. You can't tell me that was the same QB, we've watched the past 7 years, with no ill effects from the injury.


I just think Flacco was bad. He wasn't noticeably favoring his knee. We can't really know one way or the other about the mental part of it but from his play on the field it looked fine. Not the play, his knee. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
M.10.E


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 1665
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
M.10.E wrote:
Relax man.

We can't be getting worked up over secondary/QB coaches too. We'll be fine.


Probably not. No significant coaching changes = no significant playing changes. It's not like the team is going to go out and get a totally new roster that fits their coaching perfectly (which is what would be needed to succeed with Mornhinweg and Pees). Moving on from Castillo is great but D'Alessandro is no sure bet to improve the line and even if he does there are other issues. It's used a lot around here but:



wackywabbit wrote:
I never thought of mechanics as an issue for Flacco. His throwing motion has always been textbook. He's no Bortles for sure.

There have been some footwork issues, mainly throwing off his back foot, but I don't know if that's something that's tied to coaching. It's a matter of him being comfortable in the pocket. You can't coach faith in the O-line and a surgically repaired leg.


I view footwork as a part of mechanics. It's just as important as the throwing motion. Flacco has had bad footwork all of his career but hasn't had poor offensive line play all of his career. To be honest it didn't look like his knee hindered him much this past season. Bad decision making that leads to bad throws is all on him.
His QB coach in 2012 was Jim Caldwell. His OL played well in 2012.

Hmm wonder which one had more impact.

Hmm in 2013 our OL was awful, *looks at team record* makes sense.

Fast forward to 2014. Oh we made career journeyman a 1200 yard rusher and probowler, *looks at team success* makes sense.

Our team success is directly tied to Joe Flacco who is directly tied to the OL.

Hiring a big name QB coach will not turn Joe Flacco into 2014 Joe Flacco. A good OL will though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 11034
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I don't want 2014 Joe Flacco. I want someone better. It's not debatable that Flacco needs a good offensive line tos succeed, nobody is saying otherwise. I've beat that horse to death before too. But Joe can absolutely be better than what he's shown in his career. Although it's probably too late to expect any great leaps better coaching earlier on would have helped a ton.

Bringing up Caldwell is relevant since I think he's the best QB coach Flacco ever had. When he was around Joe actually moved his feet really well in the pocket and kept his eyes down the field. After Jim left for Detroit he regressed even though Kubiak's successful offense immediately thereafter masked a lot of that.

On a side note, I'm guessing you're not a big believer in coaching making significant impacts. Your posts now and in the past seem to lean more towards putting the brunt of the responsibility on players. Which is fine, just a big difference in our philosophies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
M.10.E


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 1665
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think 2014/2012 is Joe's ceiling for a whole season, maybe a little better statistically. 2014 Joe Flacco will have us contending for a Superbowl which is all I can ask for.

Coaches can only work with what they are dealt and to be honest, our roster hasn't been as good as it was.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OleXmad


Joined: 09 Jan 2017
Posts: 371
Location: Baltimore, Maryland.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe's QB coach at this stage of his career means nothing more or less, it's just a dude to help him shake the rust off after the off-season and to help with the playbook.

I'm more dissapointed we didn't get a decent secondary coach, but that still wouldn't fix the talent issue so meh.

At least John Hardballs is committed to mediocrity.
_________________
I'm not an honest person, I'm just 50 honest hamsters in a trench coat that learned to type.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty league, PM me for a co-owner role.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group