Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mr.C Mock Draft 1.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Mr.C Mock Draft 1.0 Reply with quote

It seems to be dead on here as of late. Time to unveil my first mock of the offseason.

Normally I make a mock draft based upon what the team looks like now, and pretend that all free agents are gone. This mock will be much more realistic if I make a projection first on the what happens in the offseason. Didn't have much options to put out as free agent signings, because the Bengals typically like to sign players that get cut, and that's hard to predict. And yes, I will also included the projected compensation picks.

Re-signed:
RB Cedric Peerman
WR Brandon Lafell
OT Andrew Whitworth
OT Eric Winston
OG Kevin Zeitler
C T.J Johnson
LB PJ Dawson
CB Dre Kirkpatrick

Not Re-signed:
RB Rex Burkhead
DE Margus Hunt
DE Wallace Gilberry
DT Domata Peko
DT Brandon Thompson
LB Karlos Dansby
CB Chykie Brown
K Randy Bullock

Cuts:
ILB Rey Maualuga
CB Adam Jones

Trades:
QB AJ McCarron

Free Agency Moves:
ILB Keenan Robinson
K Blair Walsh

First 8 picks in the draft:

1.CLE Myles Garrett DE Texas A&M
2.SF Mitch Trubisky QB North Carolina
3.CHI Jonathan Allen DL Alabama
4.JAX Dalvin Cook RB Florida State
5.TEN Jamal Adams SS LSU
6.NYJ DeShone Kizer QB Notre Dame
7.SD Malik Hooker SS Ohio State
8.CAR Leonard Fournette RB LSU

1st round, 9th pick

Reuben Foster ILB Alabama

When you draft a player with a 1st round pick, he needs to be an impact player, otherwise its a wasted pick. The Bengals don't have a good track record with doing that, and prehaps the big issue is they prefer to go after needs over a good player. Mel Kiper said this week that Foster is the BEST linebacker to come out of Alabama, EVER. That's a bold statement, and that makes me want to take a chance on him more than ever.

2nd round, 41st pick

Ethan Pocic C LSU

I am tired of the Russell Bodine experiment, and its about time to find a new center. Even if the Bengals wanted to keep Bodine as the starter, he only has 1 year left on his contract. Right now, Pocic looks like the best C of the draft class, so he may not fall this far and could get picked late 1st round. If he's still here in the 2nd, they must take him.

3rd round, 73rd pick

Tanoh Kpassagnon DE Villanova

The 6-7 freakish athlete from Villanova is a work in progress right now. Should the Bengals draft him, he likely won't play much his rookie year unless he develops fast in the off season, which is a problem because the Bengals need somebody NOW to help pass rush. The talent from this guy is definitely there though.

4th round, 114th pick

Jeremy McNichols RB Boise State

Too early to draft a RB maybe? This all depends on if Burkhead somehow returns, which is unlikely. Jeremy Hill appears to have been a one hit wonder at this point, which means Bernard is the only other RB left, and he can't carry the load by himself. Now McNichols isn't exactly a power RB which the Bengals may need instead, but he does have the ability to help out in pass protection as well as catching on 3rd downs.

4th round, 138th pick (compensation)

Eddie Vanderdoes DT UCLA

Hopefully assuming Peko is gone, they will need to add more depth at the DT position, if Billings and Sims end up sharing playing time at NT (Or if Billings is ready to start). Vanderdoes biggest strength happens to be his power, so he's not going to be a guy that's going to win with quickness.

4th round 145th pick (compenstation)

Ryan Switzer WR North Carolina

The answer to a deep threat, as well as someone who will be good in the slot is right here. I don't consider a WR a bit priority in the draft, unless its someone who has the speed. Switzer was the star for North Carolina last season, and made a difference in Mitch Trubisky's draft stock. Of course, the downside to this pick is Switzer is more "quick" than "fast"

5th round 155th pick

Fabian Moreau CB UCLA

Should Kirkpatrick not be re-signed or if Adam Jones gets cut, this could be a higher priority. The Bengals love drafting CB's though and regardless if Kirkpatrick and Jones are both back, they need to reload on this position in order to help themselves down the road.

6th round 194th pick

Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss

With the possibly of AJ McCarron being traded, they will need to definitely draft another QB since all they have behind Dalton is Jeff Driskel. It's hard to predict what kind of draft pick they get out of McCarron, especially considering its his last year in his contract, so I'll pretend they get a 2018 pick instead. And much like when they got a late round gem in McCarron in 2014, getting Chad Kelly in the 6th would be a steal.

6th round 218th pick (compensation)

Xavier Woods SS Louisiana Tech

Don't get him confused with WWE Superstar Xavier Woods. While he may not be as funny and weird as his WWE counterpart, he has a good work ethic, and should be a good edition to the practice squad.

6th round 221st pick (compenstation)

Greg Pyke OG Georgia

The Bengals will need more OL depth especially considering they have 4 free agents on the OL. But with that being said, this is just another practice squad pick here for the most part, nothing more.

7th round 230rd pick

Adam Griffith K Alabama

Not exactly what I had in mind, but it sounds to me like the Bengals don't have a real interest in drafting a K, and may just look to draft someone to the practice squad and compete against Bullock or a possible Blair Walsh
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your personnel moves a lot, but the draft doesn't sit well for me.

Love that you spent our cap space making sure we kept the big three, plus getting good role players re-signed (Peerman, LaFell, Winston).

I understand bringing in the two outside guys (Walsh and Robinson) that you chose. Not sure that Thompson is a free agent. i've read somewhere that since he was on PUP/IR the whole year without ever taking a rep in practice, his contract rolls over (similar to Gordon still being on his rookie deal after all the suspensions). Dawson can't go anywhere if his contract is up, but if his deal was a one year deal last year, he would be exclusive rights anyway. i guess I never considered him a free agent.

Now the draft. I really like the Foster pick, but am confused as to why the only guy we sign from free agency is also the position you grab first. Foster is clearly in line for a lot of playing time, but where does that leace Vigil, Dawson and Robinson?

In the second, I like Pocic, but really question how he will do with leverage issues in the NFL. He's 6'7 or something, and guys like Geno (and many more similar players are popping up around the league) would absolutely blow him up.

In the third, I like Kpassagon as a developmental guy, but we need a guy for RDE NOW. As in, a day one contributor. I'm not against taking him here, but I would have grabbed another DE already that can get snaps early in the season (and I would have done it in the second round... a guy loike Charlton if he slips, or Walker if he didn't). Doesn't have to be a starter, but can't be a project guy that gets time on special teams and very limited snaps on defense.

I'm fine with a RB in the fourth, but haven't focused on the position yet, so I don't know much about this particular guy.

We need youth at DT, so Vanderdoes fits the bill. Good pick.

Switzer. I truly get the love he is getting as a player, but where does he fit for us? He's an NFL slot guy, so with Boyd and Erickson here for the foreseeable future, what does he bring? We need an outside/boundary guy that can stretch the field, necause LaFell is a solid #2, but not the field stretcher.

CB depth is never a bad thing. takes Jones' spot on the roster and plays special teams.

Kelly is the perfect replacement for McCarron as a developing backup. Seems like a similar guy skill-set-wise.

Agree that Woods goes to the PS. Good character guy, but with three of our four safeties being SS types, I don't think he has a clear path to a roster spot any time soon with Iloka, Williams and Fegedelum already here. Personally, I'd look for another FS type to slot behind Derron Smith. Either way, this player goes to the PS.

Pyke is a solid guard, but could use the redshirt year on the PS as well. At worst, he takes the place of Hopkins, who never seemed to get a shot at the roster after his injury.

If we wait this long for a kicker, the pickings will be slim. I know we just re-signed thje Louisville kicker from last year (Jon Brown), so at least there will be competition. personally, I'd grab Zane Gonzales in the back end of the fourth (comp pick) or the fifth.

My other question is the McCarron trade. What do you think we get? Player or draft pick?
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Allow me to elaborate on anything that you may disagree about

*Brandon Thompson is a free agent and here's what I think is the reason why that is. From what I understand, a contract can rollover if it happens to be his contract he signed his rookie year, which is not the case because he did re-sign to a 1 year deal last year.

*PJ Dawson is considered an exclusive rights free agent, so he's going to be back most likely, unless the team decides not to re-sign him.

*I would take Reuben Foster, regardless of what happens in free agency. I had them sign Robinson who is merely just a backup signing, since they would need to fill the void if Maualuga gets cut. Not to mention the Bengalst track record says they will sign a veteran LB (James Harrison, AJ Hawk, Karlos Dansby). Vigil will have to get his playing time as an OLB and not an ILB, so my guess is he will share time with Vincent Rey. I don't see Dawson in the Bengals future plans honestly.

*Pocic may not be ready to start day, and that could be the case because I think the team still will give a vote of confidence to Bodine, even if they end up drafting a C early.

*The arguement of going against drafting a DE who's not ready to play is reasonable. It's a tough call, but the reason being for this is because its going to hard to find somebody who's "ready" in the 3rd round. I'm hoping they sign somebody in free agency, and I'm banking on Will Clarke to take a big step, otherwise the pass rush will once again struggle.

*Getting another slot guy like Switzer makes sense to me. The Bengals do need a burner, but not as a starter. Assuming Lafell is resigned, the WR field is crowded as it is. Green and Lafell as the primary starters, as well as Boyd continuing the come around. And Cody Core should also continue to get better. They need someone who has some speed, but not a longterm #2 answer, because I'm liking what I see out of Boyd and Core already. Also Erickson may be the main returner for now, but having some backup never hurts either.

*The Woods pick is merely just me trying to find someone on the practice squad and not simply a roster spot. The Bengals past 2 drafts managed to get all there draft picks on the 53 man roster, but they also had less picks at the time. With the possibility of 11 picks in the draft, its not likely everyone will make it, so they just focus on practice squad guys.

*Finally the Kicker which was a decision I didn't want to make. I would much rather prefer drafting Zane Gonzales who is the only Kicker I see as "an" answer. However the Cincinnati Enquirer told me otherwise, and they believe the Bengals WILL NOT draft a kicker and will sign someone in free agency or go with an open competition. Griffith is not going to be an NFL Kicker, as he wasn't that impressive with Alabama, so I'm simply drafting him because they want competition.

*And as for McCarron, I think they will be extremely lucky if they get a 2nd out of him, and that's because he's in his final year of his contract. The market for McCarron will be determined on what happens to Jimmy Garapollo this offseason, considering Jimmy offers more value than McCarron does. I could see Jimmy being traded for a 1st somewhere, but if the Pats can only get a 2nd, chances are McCarron won't get more than a 3rd.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCarron does only have 1 year left on his contract, but he will be a restricted free agent because he spent so much of his rookie year on PUP. In essence, another team can get him for $2.5 million in two seasons. Then he will be an URFA and cash in big.

I don't really disagree with any of what you put, other than only drafting a project DE. And I do like Kpassagon, but don't think he will be active much, if at all, next season, unless we find ourselves out of it again like this year.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I like it. The best part is resigning Whit and Zeitler. I love the foster pick. But overall I want a DE much earlier than a project in the 3rd. We need someone who can help day 1. I would prefer a DE in the 2nd like walker from Florida state.

Great depth picks throughout.

I know it isn't our MO, but this team doesn't have 11 spots in this roster for rookies. I would love to see us package up some of those 4ths and later picks to move up earlier in the draft and fill our targeted needs

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be thrilled if this was our draft, but I have a feeling we have to use our 2nd round pick if we want Kpassagnon...
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to know that McCarron is a RFA. That's a relief. I guess he could still be worth a 2nd then. But again, it all depends on Jimmy Garapollo.

So as for the DE thing, lets say the Bengals go out to sign somebody like an Andre Branch or Demarcus Ware to help out at the DE position. Would drafting a project DE be more reasonable? Just spit balling here.

And trading up could happen, just probably not in the 1st or 2nd round. Remember they did trade up in the 4th round 3 years ago to get Bodine. But that didn't work out too well.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
Interesting to know that McCarron is a RFA. That's a relief. I guess he could still be worth a 2nd then. But again, it all depends on Jimmy Garapollo.

So as for the DE thing, lets say the Bengals go out to sign somebody like an Andre Branch or Demarcus Ware to help out at the DE position. Would drafting a project DE be more reasonable? Just spit balling here.

And trading up could happen, just probably not in the 1st or 2nd round. Remember they did trade up in the 4th round 3 years ago to get Bodine. But that didn't work out too well.

I dont care what DE we sign, I still think we need a DE who can help right away. Our pass rush was brutal. Get more than 1 guy in here and let's get after the QB

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
BathBengal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love the top centre in the draft in the 2nd. Alex Mack has been the best free agent signing of the year and it's still ridiculously undervalued despite not being loads of good ones about. A good centre would be an immediate upgrade for the offence in both the run and the pass game in my mind.

Foster seems a good round 1 pick because he might be a rookie that can make an impact and I think Guenther caan do good things with a talented D which will hopefully come together next year and the D played very well towards the end of last season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: