Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Denver Broncos Mock Offseason 2017 V.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Denver Broncos Mock Offseason 2017 V.2 Reply with quote

INITIAL CAP SPACE $38.55

CUTS
OT Russell Okung + $10,900,000
OT Donald Stephenson + $3,000,000
OT Ty Sambrialo + $520,367
OG Billy Turner + $794,000
WR Marlon Brown + $775,000

ADJUSTED CAP SPACE $54,539,367
REMOVED FOR DRAFT PICKS $7,500,000
ADJUSTED CAP SPACE $47,039,367

RESIGNED
DL Vance Walker – 1 year / $2,000,000
EDGE Dekota Watson – 1 year, $900,000 (Vet Min)
K Brandon McMannis – RFA – Original Round Tender – $1,671,000
ILB Todd Davis – RFA – Original Round Tender - $1,671,000
OC Matt Paradis – ERFA – $615,000
EDGE Shaq Barrett – ERFA - $615,000
WR Jordan Taylor – ERFA - $615,000
LS Casey Kreiter – ERFA - $615,000
NT Kyle Peko – ERFA- $615,000
OC – James Ferentz – ERFA - $615,000

ADJUSTED CAP SPACE $37,107,367

FREE AGENCY
DL Calais Campbell – 3 years / $45,000,000 / $15,000,000 AV / $20,000,000 guaranteed
Elway loves to make a splash and does just that right here. Campbell is an elite player against both the run and pass who will immediately transform our defensive front. He is older at 31 but showed no signs of slowing down last season. As a Denver native and older veteran, he would likely jump at the chance to join this squad and may even take a slightly smaller deal (IMO he could get 16-17M elsewhere). His 2016 PFF grade has him ranked as the #4 overall FA and his combined sacks / TFL / QB Hits last season was a remarkable 41, all while batting 6 passes and causing 2 fumbles. And providing elite run defense. Get him, put the guaranteed money on the first two years and watch him beast.

LT Andrew Whitworth – 2 years / $20,000,000 / $10,000,000 AV / $15,000,000 Guaranteed
We all know that our tackles are putrid, so we reach out and snag the best one on the market. Whitworth is old but has shown zero signs of declining. He will take over the LT position for 1-2 years while our SB window remains wide open. Consummate professional on a team that may not look to re-sign him based on their recent OT investments. He would have a similar impact as Campbell, immediately elevating the entire play of the OL. His PFF grade wasn't just tops at OT, but is the top grade of the entire Free Agent class at 91.6. He is a beast.

OG Orlando Franklin – 2 years / $8,000,000 / $4,000,000 AV / $2,000,000 Guaranteed *** Projected SD Cut ***
After spending big on Campbell and Whitworth, the Broncos are going to have to get creative. Enter Franklin, who has struggled mightily his two years in SD. But, he has a history with McCoy and was developing excellently as a RG here in Denver before he bolted. We move him back to RG and ask him to simply maul in the run game. He will not be handed the job, but he provides a nice, decent upside option that can be given a small guarantee amount to make him an easy cut if necessary. He truly loved Denver and seems like a guy who could reinvigorate his career here. At 4M, he is a huge bargain to guys like Lang / Zietler / Leary who all should get at least 8M.

NT Haloti Ngata – 2 years / $8,000,000 / $4,000,000 AV / $4,000,000 Guaranteed *** Projected DET Cut ***
Word is that Detroit wont be keeping Ngata at his 8M+ salary and that he wants to ring chase. Well, this team has a home for him at NT. He is older, but still provides excellent if no longer elite play. His aggressive demeanor and surprising pass rush abilities fit this scheme while he also provides a true anchor against the run that we lacked last season. He is limited to a stopgap but is a veteran leader who will pair with Calais to change the demeanor of our DL and provide great locker room presence.

OT Eric Winston – 1 year / Vet Min
He has a connection w/ Vance Walker from CIN and is given a chance to potentially compete with our R1 pick. Not a guy you want starting, but an upgrade over both Okung and Stephenson IMO. Wont have a big market so we snag him cheap on a Vet Min deal. Don’t want to go into the season without a seasoned swing OT, especially when you have Super Bowl aspirations.

ADJUSTED CAP SPACE $3,107,367

*** The Denver Broncos trade 2.51 & 3.100 (COMP) to the San Francisco 49’ers for 2.34 ***
*** The Denver Broncos trade 7.239 & 7.252 to the New Orleans Saints for 2.230 ***

2.36 (SF)
3.97 (COMP)
4.142 (COMP)
6.188 (TEN)
7.230 (NO)

2017 NFL DRAFT

1.20 – Cam Robinson RT – Alabama
WHY? I presume that Ramczyk is gone by 1.20, but in Robinson we get a guy that is simply oozing with potential. He is a monstrous run blocker with the prototypical profile for a OT. He presents issues in pass protection but his run blocking will translate immediately and provide a huge improvement in outside and inside runs to the right. Some coaching up should help his lunging in pass protection, as I don’t subscribe to the belief that he is heavy footed, which really isn’t correctable. Many have compared him to Cordy Glenn, and at worse he should be an elite run blocking OG. I think he is overly scrutinized due to being on the draft radar so long and would draft him here with plug-and-play intentions. He may struggle with some speed rushers, but he is strong as an ox and will neutralize power rushers immediately while providing huge, huge improvements in our run blocking department.

2.34 – Christian McCaffery RB – Stanford
WHY? This team lacks playmakers and with likely pedestrian QB play, we need them more than ever. McCaffery is an electric, versatile weapon who can eventually become a three down RB but will initially fill in as our kick/punt returner, slot WR and 10-12 touch COP back. He is an elite athlete with an elite feel for the game who very well may be gone before this pick but recent history indicates he slides as have most RB’s lately. He is NFL ready and will improve the team immediately. I see him as a guy that can become a three down RB with a year of NFL conditioning.

3.82 – Anthony Walker Jr. – Northwestern
WHY? We all overestimated the ease at which Trevathan could be replaced and were forced to watch teams attack Todd Davis constantly, especially in the pass game. Walker is a great athlete who had a down year due to packing on too much weight. He will get back to his 230-235 playing weight and be tasked with replacing Trevathan at ILB. This scheme works best with two super rangy, coverage ILB rather than the traditional thumping ILB that many think of with 3-4 defenses. Walker is a high intelligence player with a ton of experience who likely could step into the coverage LB role immediately, if not secure a three down role from the get-go.

3.98 – Chidobe Awuzi DB – Colorado
WHY? The CB depth pushes Awuzi down the board and we jump to snag him here. With Roby soon to be up for extension, IMO its likely that Talib is let go next summer. So, we will soon need a new #3CB. Awuzi fits our profile of athletic, tall, physical, man-cover CB’s that can help in the run game. He is rangy and has elite work ethic, but may be a tad stiff. This likely limits him outside but that works since CHJR will simply slide to nickel. His physicality indicates he will be an immediate ST contributor, likely a gunner, so he wont sit on the bench as a rookie.

4.121 – Jake Butt TE – Michigan
WHY? This may seem late, but teams will be wary of his second ACL tear to the same knee. In fact, there is no guarantee that he returns to form. But, with a plethora of draft picks, we roll the dice on Butt and likely give him a redshirt year. If he works out, he could become our Travis Kelce. If not, we made a great gamble and lost. No big deal.

1.142 - Danny Isidora OG – Miami
WHY? A favorite of mine. Isidora is a strong, athletic lineman who has seemingly fallen through the cracks. He sports an ideal physical profile for a hybrid man/power OG and shows great strength in the run game. He is a bit raw and will be used for depth as a rookie, but he can hopefully develop and replace Orlando Franklin in 1-2 years. Tough cookie who just needs to learn how to harness his natural talents.

6.188 – JJ Dielman OL – Utah
WHY? The OL needs to continue to be fortified, and Dielman is another puzzle piece. He was sidelined early this year after moving from OT to OC due to injury, but has a versatile resume. Decent athleticism while playing mean in the run game (See a recurring theme?). Likely maxes out as a backup swiss-army OL but that’s great value this late. May redshirt as a rookie to gain strength and recover from his injury.

7.230 – Josh Toupu NT – Colorado
WHY? Ngata isn’t going to be our long-term NT and Peko is an unknown, so we add another young talent to the fire and hope it sticks. Toupu has NFL strength and is a seasoned, intelligent guy on the field. He is available this late because he simply doesn’t have explosion to get after the passer, like, at all. He can become a starting quality run stuffer for two downs though and that is a nice value in R7.

OFFENSE
QB – Trevor Siemian / Paxton Lynch
RB – CJ Anderson / Christian McCaffery / Devonte Booker
FB – Andy Janovich
WR1 – Deymarius Thomas / Jordan Taylor
WR2 – Emmanuel Sanders / Cody Latimer
SLOT – Christian McCaffery
TE – AJ Derby / Virgil Green / Jeff Huerman / Jake Butt
LT – Andrew Whitworth / JJ Dielman
LG – Michael Schofield / Danny Isidora
OC – Matt Paradis / Max Garcia
RG – Orlando Franklin / Connor McGovern
RT – Cam Robinson / Eric Winston

DEFENSE
DE – Calais Campbell / Vance Walker / Adam Gotsis
NT – Haloti Ngata / Josh Tupou / Kyle Peko
DE – Derek Wolfe / Jared Crick
EDGE – Von Miller / Dekota Watson / Vontorrius Dora
ILB – Brandon Marshall / Todd Davis
ILB – Anthony Walker Jr. / Cory Nelson
EDGE – Shane Ray / Shaq Barrett
CB1 – Chris Harris Jr. / Chidobe Awuzi
CB2 – Aquib Talib
CB3 – Bradley Roby / Lorenzo Doss
FS – Darian Stewart / Justin Simmons
SS – TJ Ward / Will Parks

SPECIAL TEAMS
K – Brandon McMannus
P – Riley Dixon
LS – Casey Kreiter
RS – Christian McCaffery

Last edited by BroncosFan2010 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
broncofan48

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the FA part a lot.

I really think Elway will go big this off-season, similar to how he did with Ware, Ward, and Talib.

If McCaffery is there and Denver can trade up to get him I would be ecstatic. For nostalgic reasons as well as the boost to the return game and mismatches he brings offensively.

This whole draft to me would really hinge on Robinson and how he develops as OT, which I don't know enough about him or scouting OL to be the judge of that.

Good job overall!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how realistic this is but you did provide great detail and depth into signings, draft, trades, etc. Great job, I'd be ecstatic if this happened!

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
broncs4life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo!! That would be an A++++!! Wow

Thanks to CalhounLambeau for the incredible sig!!
Von Miller 2011 DROY and SB50 MVP!!!!!
IT'S MILLER TIME!!
GO BRONCOS!
Broncofan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the targets, but I think Whitworth is 4-5M too low, Ngata & Franklin probably 2-4M too low as well. Whitworth is the top LT on the market - expect new AAV standards (12M+).

I love Butt, and if we can get McCaffrey with our 2nd pick, well worth it. I'm not sold on Robinson as LT, but as RT I'm OK with that. FWIW, I think someone will take Robinson as first T off the board before us. McCaffrey will need to be a top 35 pick, for sure.
champ11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
I love the targets, but I think Whitworth is 4-5M too low, Ngata & Franklin probably 2-4M too low as well. Whitworth is the top LT on the market - expect new AAV standards (12M+).

I love Butt, and if we can get McCaffrey with our 2nd pick, well worth it. I'm not sold on Robinson as LT, but as RT I'm OK with that. FWIW, I think someone will take Robinson as first T off the board before us. McCaffrey will need to be a top 35 pick, for sure.

i'm gonna leave this one for jst

team rammy

broncofan48

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ11 wrote:
Broncofan wrote:

Haha didn't even notice that first read through

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

At 10M Whitworth would become the 8th highest paid LT. If we gave him a fully guaranteed deal (2/20) it may tip the scale, since many teams wont want to do that with someone his age (35). But he is an iron man so I would make the gamble. The idea of paying 14-15M (Making him the top paid LT in the league) is pretty outlandish IMO. It would be unheard of to have a player his age getting top-for-his-position money.

As for Ngata and Franklin, I think 4M each isn't too far off. Franklin has graded out very poorly since moving to SD and has been quite injury prone. At 4M, he would be making about the 10th most for a RG. I valued him similar to Zane Beadles who was cut last offseason and secured a 3 year deal that paid him 3.25M. Zane wasn't coming off injury either.

Ngata is different since he is less of a gamble, but he is still quite old at 32 and seems to be willing to prioritize getting a ring. 4M would actually make him the 3rd highest paid 34NT, which shows how little demand there is for that position. Even including 43DT, a 4M deal makes him about 15/16th highest paid. I value him similar to Wilfork who signed a 2 year, 11M contract at age 32/33. So maybe Ngata at 5M is a bit more reasonable, but the market (Contender w/ NT need) may be quite small for him.

I understand the hesitance on Robinson, and I see him as a pure RT, but a good RT who can really improve the run-blocking from day 1.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ11 wrote:
Broncofan wrote:

Haha touchι
Broncofan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

At 10M Whitworth would become the 8th highest paid LT. If we gave him a fully guaranteed deal (2/20) it may tip the scale, since many teams wont want to do that with someone his age (35). But he is an iron man so I would make the gamble. The idea of paying 14-15M (Making him the top paid LT in the league) is pretty outlandish IMO. It would be unheard of to have a player his age getting top-for-his-position money.

As for Ngata and Franklin, I think 4M each isn't too far off. Franklin has graded out very poorly since moving to SD and has been quite injury prone. At 4M, he would be making about the 10th most for a RG. I valued him similar to Zane Beadles who was cut last offseason and secured a 3 year deal that paid him 3.25M. Zane wasn't coming off injury either.

Ngata is different since he is less of a gamble, but he is still quite old at 32 and seems to be willing to prioritize getting a ring. 4M would actually make him the 3rd highest paid 34NT, which shows how little demand there is for that position. Even including 43DT, a 4M deal makes him about 15/16th highest paid. I value him similar to Wilfork who signed a 2 year, 11M contract at age 32/33. So maybe Ngata at 5M is a bit more reasonable, but the market (Contender w/ NT need) may be quite small for him.

I understand the hesitance on Robinson, and I see him as a pure RT, but a good RT who can really improve the run-blocking from day 1.

Just to be clear I meant low by overall $ not per year, so Whitworth is at 12M per year, Ngata at 5M+ per year, same with Franklin - for Whitworth that puts him in the 3rd-6th overall tier. 12M isn't crazy in this offseason - if anything, it might still be low. Let me expand on why.

The problem is the cap is going up by so much, if you are in demand, you'll be in new-standard setting territory. I think Whitworth & Ngata will fall into the earlier category - Franklin is one guy we might get lucky on, demand-wise. With 24 teams with 30M+ of cap space (again 10M is often set aside for rookies and roster min wage hires to get to 51), if a guy's in demand, they will command bar-meeting or bar-setting deals.

Jaime Collins is about to become the highest paid ILB - and I'd argue he's not even a top 10 ILB. Yes that's nuts, but it's the reality of what happens when the cap goes up this much for 2 years in a row. Same with Brian Winters @ RG, getting a top 5 RG salary. Looking at the past bar isn't a great reference when there is this much $ floating around - the bar almost always goes up. Our idea of the "normal bar" for salaries is usually too low in forecasting salaries.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ11 wrote:
Broncofan wrote:

Nah, it's too easy, no challenge at all.

lmao Laughing Laughing Laughing
AKRNA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your FA selections alone make us much better. I don't know if it's achievable but your reasoning's sound. I think we can do without Franklin though. IMO he's pretty limited.

I don't know much about the college players except one. I wouldn't draft Cam. There's a few OT's in the top level that will make a good living on the left side. He's not one. Pretty high draft spot for a RT. Combine that with his off-field issues and I'd pass.

I wouldn't be surprised if he slips out of the 1st. A team looking for a LT will look at Ramczyk and the kid from Utah before Cam.
jolly red giant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
champ11 wrote:
Broncofan wrote:

Nah, it's too easy, no challenge at all.

lmao Laughing Laughing Laughing

jst has way too much time on his hands.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan: I love...carpet. I love...Butt.
Ron Burgundy: Broncofan, are you just looking at players in the draft and saying that you love them?
Broncofan: I love Lamp.
Ron Burgundy: Do you really love Lamp, or are you just saying it because you saw his name?
Broncofan: I love Lamp. I love Butt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: