You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Time to go Coach Shopping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the Redskins are pursuing Bradley, but I still think our personnel would fit his scheme better.

Mebane played exclusively in his scheme with the Seahawks as a 1tech Nose, Liuget can play a more "traditional" 3 tech and we have options between Bosa, Ingram (if retained) and Attaouchu.

Bosa realistically can play as the SSDE and "two gap" but also could play the "Elephant / Leo" in Pete Carroll's/Bradley's scheme. I think Ingram or Attaouchu could also play the "Leo" or play the SAM potentially.

I think Malik McDowell might be a real possibility of they wanted to use him as the SSDE (mainly two gapping) while Bosa played on the Weakside. Ingram could "walk" and they decide to play Attaouchu as the SAM (similar to Bruce Irvin). I could also see Bosa used "inside" like Michael Bennett/Justin Tuck in Nickel while they bring Attaouchu/Ingram off the Edges, this defense has a lot of potential for Bradley's scheme.

I think if we don't draft a Safety (Adams / Hooker) then McDowell might be a target. I haven't watched too much of MSU but he seems like a more athletic Buckner/Armstead. I am sure he will get Calais Campbell comps as well.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highboltage55 wrote:
I heard the Redskins are pursuing Bradley, but I still think our personnel would fit his scheme better.

Mebane played exclusively in his scheme with the Seahawks as a 1tech Nose, Liuget can play a more "traditional" 3 tech and we have options between Bosa, Ingram (if retained) and Attaouchu.

Bosa realistically can play as the SSDE and "two gap" but also could play the "Elephant / Leo" in Pete Carroll's/Bradley's scheme. I think Ingram or Attaouchu could also play the "Leo" or play the SAM potentially.

I think Malik McDowell might be a real possibility of they wanted to use him as the SSDE (mainly two gapping) while Bosa played on the Weakside. Ingram could "walk" and they decide to play Attaouchu as the SAM (similar to Bruce Irvin). I could also see Bosa used "inside" like Michael Bennett/Justin Tuck in Nickel while they bring Attaouchu/Ingram off the Edges, this defense has a lot of potential for Bradley's scheme.

I think if we don't draft a Safety (Adams / Hooker) then McDowell might be a target. I haven't watched too much of MSU but he seems like a more athletic Buckner/Armstead. I am sure he will get Calais Campbell comps as well.

Yeah, there's a few different ways that we could go to maximize his scheme. But ideally, i'd want Bosa as that Michael Bennet/Malik Jackson/Justin Smith type 5T. In this day in age, you don't take away from the guy who can defend the run like that. While he's an elite pass rusher, he's just as good as he is from the wide position than he is further inside (honestly, i'd say he's better in tight quarters rushing the passer). Its rarer to find a elite 2 way player (run and pass D), and its more effective to put that guy inside, rather than outside, where you can get away with an elite pass rusher and a mediocre run defender. Also, Bradley has shown he can develop/identify different guys to rush the passer. Clemmens in Seattle, Ngakue in Jax were both mid round picks and not necessarily prized talents coming in. They paid for both Bennett in Seattle and Jackson in Jax.

I'm curious to what he'll do at S. I'd assume that he's going to go after the elite guy as he's done in previous stints. They drafted Thomas/Chancellor under him, they also drafted Cyprien and paid big money (outbidding us for) Tashaun Gipson last year. I don't think we go after Earl Thomas and pay big for him, but I could see us going after Hooker in the 1st, or even trading back into the first for Budda Baker.

The question I have is what he does with corners. He doesn't have remotely the same types of guys he usually likes at the position that fit with the scheme. We definitely don't have the scheme for bump and run heavy DB play. I don't think it would be TOO hard to adjust, but its definitely a concern.

I'm also not entirely sure how well Liuget fits into the scheme, but I don't mind him at that 2/3T. His job is just going to be looked over a lot more than it was (again, why so many fans hated his performance this year). Mebane and Bosa are obviously great, and will fit right in.

Our LB's are PERFECT for him, and we have his former DC in Jax as our LB coach, Bob Babich, I'd be happy keeping him. Perry, Brown, Toomer, and Perryman, all have really unique playing styles that compliments each of them well and suit well for his scheme. I'm ok with letting Te'o walk.

Ingram fits great into that SLB role that Irving dominates in.

The question is all about the secondary, and how he fits that to his normal scheme that relies on real physical CB play, and very mismatched S's with defined roles.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Neutral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
and we have his former DC in Jax as our LB coach, Bob Babich, I'd be happy keeping him.

Babich left for the Bills last week.

The only defensive assistants we've retained are Ron Milus (DB) and Giff Smith (DL). I'm happy about the latter. Not only did our DL play better this year, but I was impressed by the performances of our rotational guys like Philon and Square.

I agree with much of what you said, but it all depends on whether Gus Bradley wants to come here. He reportedly has an offer to be our DC, but then interviewed with the Skins and is now waiting to see if the Niners job becomes available. That doesn't strike me as someone who wants to be here. And, maybe that's for the best.

The common thread between the Skins and Niners, on defense, is that he can build the defense in his image. Like Jags fans have been saying about him, he wants to run the defense his way. The Skins have spent about 30% of their cap on defense, while spending the rest (plus their 1st round picks) building up their offense. Now that the offense has become a strength, they're expected to start investing in the defense. The Niners have a massive amount of cap space and high picks in each round. They're attractive landing spots if you want to build a defense from a few key pieces. That's not the case here. Our defense is mostly built, we're just looking for someone to make them a solidly above-average unit.

Duffman57 wrote:
The question I have is what he does with corners. He doesn't have remotely the same types of guys he usually likes at the position that fit with the scheme. We definitely don't have the scheme for bump and run heavy DB play. I don't think it would be TOO hard to adjust, but its definitely a concern.

That has to be weighing in his mind. He has to make it work with Verrett and Hayward. If those two drop off because of his inflexible scheme, he'll find himself on the hot seat quickly.
Neutral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What your guys' O/U on how many posters come here asking if Rivers might get traded?
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:
What your guys' O/U on how many posters come here asking if Rivers might get traded?

I'd set the line at 10 here. 30 suggesting it in Gen. None will see that the contract won't allow it, or realize it's not that he doesn't want to play in LA, it's that he not leaving SD.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:

He fits, but does he fit to the tune of the $9-10m/yr he's going to command (and likely see someone willing to pay him; I mean, dear God, look at what someone was willing to pay Erik Walden). Franchising him to bridge the gap is something I could see you guys doing, but have to remember, Seattle willingly let Irvin walk because they saw the position as something that was replaceable once they'd identified the particular skillset necessary to fill it (Frank Clark).

As I'd brought up in NFLG, that SAM/Otto role could be something that actually fits what Emanuel brings to the table rather well, but ideally you'd like someone who brings a bit more to the table as a pass-rusher (still though, Emanuel at his price as a stop-gap versus overpaying-relative-to-the-position for Ingram has to be weighed).

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:

He fits, but does he fit to the tune of the $9-10m/yr he's going to command (and likely see someone willing to pay him; I mean, dear God, look at what someone was willing to pay Erik Walden). Franchising him to bridge the gap is something I could see you guys doing, but have to remember, Seattle willingly let Irvin walk because they saw the position as something that was replaceable once they'd identified the particular skillset necessary to fill it (Frank Clark).

As I'd brought up in NFLG, that SAM/Otto role could be something that actually fits what Emanuel brings to the table rather well, but ideally you'd like someone who brings a bit more to the table as a pass-rusher (still though, Emanuel at his price as a stop-gap versus overpaying-relative-to-the-position for Ingram has to be weighed).

And Duffman's right, you want to play Bosa at that 4/5-Tech spot. The LEO was a position designed for players like Chris Clemons and (if you go by where he played at USC under Carroll) Clay Matthews - speed rushers lined up in the 9-Tech. If you have to opportunity to get a guy who can convert speed-to-power (Matthews could, Clemons really didn't) you obviously opt for that guy as the Seahawks did when they let Clemons walk because they were able to sign Cliff Avril, but the speed component is the baseline for the position.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Duffman57

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:

And Duffman's right, you want to play Bosa at that 4/5-Tech spot. The LEO was a position designed for players like Chris Clemons and (if you go by where he played at USC under Carroll) Clay Matthews - speed rushers lined up in the 9-Tech. If you have to opportunity to get a guy who can convert speed-to-power (Matthews could, Clemons really didn't) you obviously opt for that guy as the Seahawks did when they let Clemons walk because they were able to sign Cliff Avril, but the speed component is the baseline for the position.

Yeah, I agree, he fits, but the role he has isn't going to be that 9/10m/year value that he's going to get elsewhere. I think that's a position you perpetually rotate rookie contracts TBH...and I wouldn't have even a little bit of a problem putting Emmanuel there, as he did a lot of things well as a starter this year. The role just isn't that hard to find "a guy for" so if you're spending a 2nd round pick on the position every 4 years (and hopefully getting a 4th round or higher comp pick back for it), its not such a bad thing. If we decide to replace him, TJ Watt interests me in that role.

I could see Attaochu (if he stays healthy, which is a BIG if), having Seattle-Chris Clemons like production this year if they use him the same way, he's actually got a really similar skillset/athletic profile as Clemons too.

Like I said before, with this coaching staff, I really wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Tim Williams or Davonte Fields brought in, as these are the types of coaches who can definitely take on these questionable character guys and mentor them/hold them accountable. Fields in particular seems to fit the athletic profile that he's liked in the past (see Ngakoue/Clemons).

Also it kills me to hear you say "You guys" like your not one of us anymore LBC.... Crying or Very sad

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: