Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Juan Castillo, Leslie Frazier Leaving For BUF
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ravens secondary coach Leslie Frazier has been hired as the Bills defensive coordinator

Jamison Hensley, ESPN Staff Writer

Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec ‏@jeffzrebiecsun 5m5 minutes ago
This one will leave a mark. Frazier was very instrumental in secondary's improvement this year.

Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec ‏@jeffzrebiecsun 2m2 minutes ago
Frazier's departure would mean Ravens looking for a QB coach, OL coach and secondary coach.

Well, Jeff thinks it's a big deal. I'm leaning towards the secondary playing better being because of getting Weddle in at SS, Webb moving to and not sucking at FS, and then the really good fortune of a rookie 4th round CB playing well right away. Those are three significant player changes from the prior season that I just can't put a lot of credit in coaching for.
RavensDefense3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to credit what Frazier did with Tavon Young, and Webb's move to safety. Wright and Powers were bad, but they are career back up type players. Hopefully we can find a competent coach to replace him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, and how often does a rookie 4th round corner come in right away and make a significant positive impact? No doubt Young is a good player, but I think a lot of that immediate success can also be attributed to coaching.

Wright and Powers are both veterans who are ingrained in their habits and haven't been very good over the past few years to begin with. I doubt anything Frazier had to teach them would of made much impact as far as their ability to produce on the field.

I definitely don't like the loss, but losing a DB coach isn't the most significant in the grand scheme of things. However, given the probability of adding a new corner early on in this years draft, it would have been nice to have Frazier coach them up like he did Young.

Oregon Ducks wrote:
KingBishop wrote:
Can we respectfully create a Ducks forum and you just stay there?
Take it easy, Donald Trump.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the point about Young, and his rookie success could definitely be attributed to Frazier, but that's about the only thing I would point to about him making a difference. Wright wasn't awful last season nor was Powers the prior two or three seasons in the slot for Arizona. Outside he wasn't great, and isn't a fit there anyways, but Jerraud was awful for the Ravens regardless. Same with Shareece.

Webb started the transition to FS last season (when he was sucking at CB) so that's not something particular attributable to Leslie. Weddle was a big upgrade over the poo they trotted out at SS, but he's almost always been good.

Not trying to make it seem like Frazier isn't competent, just saying I doubt his loss will be a big deal. It isn't like the secondary completely turned itself around... although with Pees and his awful coverage schemes that might not be possible without a battalion of Deion Sanders and Ed Reeds back there.
Rein

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I get the point about Young, and his rookie success could definitely be attributed to Frazier, but that's about the only thing I would point to about him making a difference. Wright wasn't awful last season nor was Powers the prior two or three seasons in the slot for Arizona. Outside he wasn't great, and isn't a fit there anyways, but Jerraud was awful for the Ravens regardless. Same with Shareece.

Webb started the transition to FS last season (when he was sucking at CB) so that's not something particular attributable to Leslie. Weddle was a big upgrade over the poo they trotted out at SS, but he's almost always been good.

Not trying to make it seem like Frazier isn't competent, just saying I doubt his loss will be a big deal. It isn't like the secondary completely turned itself around... although with Pees and his awful coverage schemes that might not be possible without a battalion of Deion Sanders and Ed Reeds back there.

Speaking of Ed Reed - he should be available, right? We're looking for a new secondary coach and one of the best ravens of all time is available?

I think this makes a lot of sense - almost to much. I doubt Harbaugh will allow such a hire, but it could work. Look at Pittsburgh - they have a bunch of former players coaching. We could really need the swagger and the identity that Reed would bring.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still associate Leslie Frazier with soft passive coverages he had in Tampa. He may have been a good mentor type for getting Tavon ready, but I'm not sweating the loss.

If it goes with freeing us from Juan, I'll take it.
OleXmad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losing Frazier sucks, He was a big reason why Young played so well and will hurt the development of any future DBs we draft, I'm curious as to whether his replacement will be in house or not.
Danand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw evidence of a clear turnaround in our cornerbacks abilities to play well after Frazier arrived. Just as well Tavon Young turned out as a rookie, just as much was anyone else a disappointment. If we should praise Frazier for his work with young, we should critisize him for not being able to coach up anyone else.

I had a huge crush on Tavon Young in the draft process and saw him as one of the most pro ready cornerbacks. The only real knock on him was that he wasn't as big as everybody wants from cornerbacks.

Edit: I highly doubt we see Ed Reed as long as Harbaugh is coach here.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm delighted that Castillo is going, but very wary of who might come in to replace him. If Roman ends up being the de facto Offensive Line coach, and installs his own run game, then we might see significant improvement.

Perhaps between him and Mornhinweg, the Ravens might actually be able to produce a balanced offense.

But if Harbs just brings in one of his friends (although I guess Roman probably counts as that, given his links to Jim) then I'm not so optimistic.

Losing Frazier isn't great, but it probably won't make a huge difference to the defense, while Pees is still there. We'll still see the same crap that lost the game against the Steelers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-agree-in-principle-with-Leslie-Frazier-Bob-Babich--Juan-Castillo-to-join-coaching-staff/c2ab93a9-904f-41b3-aed0-a24705d54c6e

Quote:
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. – The Buffalo Bills announced the team has agreed in principle for Leslie Frazier (defensive coordinator), Bob Babich (linebackers coach) and Juan Castillo (offensive line/run game coordinator) to join the team’s coaching staff.

Phew, it's official. Was kind of worried there for a second.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: