Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 - Total Control Mock GM Draft - Q & A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan77733

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ny92jefferis wrote:
dan77733 wrote:
ny92jefferis wrote:
When we sat down to figure out the criteria / restrictions needed to Extend or restructure a players contract we did so with the idea that not every player is going to accept an extension. The guideline we created to what I feel makes it more realistic is to not provide the extension offer to a player past a certain age in the likelihood the said player has just as much chance to retire than they would to extend another contract.

These types of contracts are basically 100% subjective opinion because we can't say with any certainty if a player would be willing to extend another contract or not. So rather than making it where we have to decide on every player being offered an extension, we set up some reasonable restrictions on which players likely would accept.

It's not a perfect science but IMO it provides a bit more realism, rather than a free for all. It also, provides a little more incentive to game plan.

As for Witten, his age based on the restrictions prevents you from offering a extension contract. Not that the statistics play a role in the restrictions but statistically, Witten is on the decline and very likely could retire after this season.

I understand your team is negative in cap, but there are several ways to gain cap without the need to extend a contract, whom I see as a declining veteran.

Because Witten only has one year left on his contract, he can't be restructured and there's obviously no option for a pay cut so extending him was my only option not only to clear cap room but to also ensure he retires a Cowboy. Witten retiring wouldn't do me any good since the mock would be finished by then. Just don't believe that age should be the determining factor.

Who's to say he doesn't retire a cowboy after this season?

He could retire but by the time that happens, this mock will be finished and thus, doesn't help me whatsoever.
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Forge wrote:
Question about free agency -

Is everyone who is bidded on awarded at the end of each round? Like, if I'm the only one who makes an offer on a player the first round, is he automatically awarded to me, or does he stay on the FA list for another round of bids to see if anyone else bids on him?

Also, there may be a player who is a free agent that isn't on the list that I may have been interested in signing. I didn't see him on the list, and I don't think I missed him. Does that mean I can just have him for the vet minimum? Laughing (I'm kidding, I know that's not what it means)

Message me the player you are interested in, there is a good chance that he has a voided contract or is practice squad list that I haven't updated or posted yet.

Thanks IDOG_det
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan77733 wrote:
ny92jefferis wrote:
dan77733 wrote:
ny92jefferis wrote:
When we sat down to figure out the criteria / restrictions needed to Extend or restructure a players contract we did so with the idea that not every player is going to accept an extension. The guideline we created to what I feel makes it more realistic is to not provide the extension offer to a player past a certain age in the likelihood the said player has just as much chance to retire than they would to extend another contract.

These types of contracts are basically 100% subjective opinion because we can't say with any certainty if a player would be willing to extend another contract or not. So rather than making it where we have to decide on every player being offered an extension, we set up some reasonable restrictions on which players likely would accept.

It's not a perfect science but IMO it provides a bit more realism, rather than a free for all. It also, provides a little more incentive to game plan.

As for Witten, his age based on the restrictions prevents you from offering a extension contract. Not that the statistics play a role in the restrictions but statistically, Witten is on the decline and very likely could retire after this season.

I understand your team is negative in cap, but there are several ways to gain cap without the need to extend a contract, whom I see as a declining veteran.

Because Witten only has one year left on his contract, he can't be restructured and there's obviously no option for a pay cut so extending him was my only option not only to clear cap room but to also ensure he retires a Cowboy. Witten retiring wouldn't do me any good since the mock would be finished by then. Just don't believe that age should be the determining factor.

He could retire but by the time that happens, this mock will be finished and thus, doesn't help me whatsoever.

Haha...feels like realism to me.

Thanks IDOG_det
Forge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ny92jefferis wrote:
dan77733 wrote:
ny92jefferis wrote:
dan77733 wrote:
ny92jefferis wrote:

Haha...feels like realism to me.

A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
DTMW78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question.
The adj contract length on some of the free agents is 7, is that the length of contract they want and if I offer a shorter contract I have no chance of winning that player?

^^^^
Stone 85 on the sig
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTMW78 wrote:
Quick question.
The adj contract length on some of the free agents is 7, is that the length of contract they want and if I offer a shorter contract I have no chance of winning that player?

Not "no" chance but it does effect the formula and it reduces your chance, yes

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
Forge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question regarding FA again - if players do not have a bid, their salary request decreases. Does the years requested on their contract go down as well?

A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Question regarding FA again - if players do not have a bid, their salary request decreases. Does the years requested on their contract go down as well?

Correct, after each bidding round the expected APY decreases 10%, more for declining vets. The players signing bonus and contract length will decrease as well.

Thanks IDOG_det
Forge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ny92jefferis wrote:
Forge wrote:

Correct, after each bidding round the expected APY decreases 10%, more for declining vets. The players signing bonus and contract length will decrease as well.

Follow up (sorry) - if I bid in the first round, and don't offer the desired contract length, but nobody else bids on him, is he mine?

ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
ny92jefferis wrote:
Forge wrote:

Follow up (sorry) - if I bid in the first round, and don't offer the desired contract length, but nobody else bids on him, is he mine?

Yes, the only mandatory part of the contract is the Expected APY. You are permitted to offer less or no signing bonus but the bonus is weighted so by not offering one it would hurt you if another team is bidding on said player.

Offering less in terms of contract length will hurt your odds slightly, but its not a deal breaker either.

Thanks IDOG_det
Forge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you trade draft picks you've acquired through trades?

ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Can you trade draft picks you've acquired through trades?

Yessir

Thanks IDOG_det
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mock take into account guaranteed base salary?

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
justin_perkins

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB Jamar Taylor is not listed on Cleveland's roster link. Signed a new contract w them last year
djw4bucs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anger just signed a deal a few weeks ago but he is listed as a FA
Here is the link to his new deal
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000766501/article/bucs-sign-punter-bryan-anger-to-5year-extension

Adopt-a-Buc Kwon Alexander 90 Tackles, 7 Tackles for Loss, 3 Sacks, 1 INT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 9 of 28

Jump to: