Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft strategy QB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeT14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant with TOs. Sorry, there was a whole twitter thing about how UNC fans weren't counting that game for Trub.

- mike23md

D.C. Sports: Hope is fine, but believing is where we screw up.
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/29686/kirk-cousins-remains-the-best-answer-but-would-deshaun-watson-tempt-redskins

Quote:
Why he would (work): It would save the Redskins a lot of cash and give them the ability to spend that money elsewhere. If the Redskins canít work out a long-term deal, and want to avoid the franchise tag, then this has to be an option. Of course, just look at this franchise's past 15-20 years to realize that spending money does not equate to success. Still, as far as drafting Watson, he seemed to play his best in the biggest games -- he gave Clemson a chance to win last season's national title, and he won it this season. Watson used the talent around him to excel and showed playmaking ability. Though he does like to run, Watson did show an ability to throw from the pocket and can make all the throws. Heís a major competitor

I honestly see 0% chance of this happening but since its from Keim, it's worth posting.

mike23md on the sig!

Adopt a Redskin:
WR Jamison Crowder
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many things that would have to happen for Cousins not to be our QB next season:

Random #1 - Cousins gets in serious accident and is injured to the point where he can't play next year.

Random #2 - Cousins has an A-bomb sized PR nightmare in the offseason. Like Mike Vick proportioned.

Or #1 - We can't come to terms on a long term deal.

Then #2 - We franchise tag him.

Then #3 - Some team is willing to offer more than a 1st round pick for him.

And then #4 - That same team has to be willing to offer him more money to sign long term than we offered in #1.

And finally #5 - Our front office would have to decide that those draft picks are worth rolling the dice at QB, after searching for one for 20 years.

#1 is possible. If we don't get a deal done, there is zero chance #2 doesn't happen. We aren't going to let a starting QB just leave without compensation. So that leaves us questioning whether a team is willing to do both 3 and 4. That's a ton to invest in a single player. And finally 5, my guess is after QB futility his entire ownership Snyder vetoes any deal sending Cousins out of town. Because no matter how hard it is to pay Cousins all that money, it's going to be even harder to sell season ticket holders on yet another rebuilding season.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
mike23md

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
There are so many things that would have to happen for Cousins not to be our QB next season:

Random #1 - Cousins gets in serious accident and is injured to the point where he can't play next year.

Random #2 - Cousins has an A-bomb sized PR nightmare in the offseason. Like Mike Vick proportioned.

Or #1 - We can't come to terms on a long term deal.

Then #2 - We franchise tag him.

Then #3 - Some team is willing to offer more than a 1st round pick for him.

And then #4 - That same team has to be willing to offer him more money to sign long term than we offered in #1.

And finally #5 - Our front office would have to decide that those draft picks are worth rolling the dice at QB, after searching for one for 20 years.

#1 is possible. If we don't get a deal done, there is zero chance #2 doesn't happen. We aren't going to let a starting QB just leave without compensation. So that leaves us questioning whether a team is willing to do both 3 and 4. That's a ton to invest in a single player. And finally 5, my guess is after QB futility his entire ownership Snyder vetoes any deal sending Cousins out of town. Because no matter how hard it is to pay Cousins all that money, it's going to be even harder to sell season ticket holders on yet another rebuilding season.

#2 Would have to be the Exclusive tag for any team to actually submit an offer in which we would have to match or they give us 2 first rounders.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the ball is totally in Kirk's corner. He will get a great offer averaging 24m a year over 5 years with an option for a 6th with guarantees of 80m.
Marcus21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
I believe the ball is totally in Kirk's corner. He will get a great offer averaging 24m a year over 5 years with an option for a 6th with guarantees of 80m.

I think this is a fair offer considering the increase in the cap over the next 5 years!!
10-15% of the teams total cap us the going rate for a starting QB in the NFL! Considering signing bonus and other cap management strategies, thus deal will cost us considerably less than the 24 million franchise tag! If we don't pay Kirk a market value contract, some other team will!
If we let Kirk walk, we will be lucky to win 2 games! There is no way Jay would survive that kind of losing season! Then we would be looking for a new QB, head coach, and D coordinator! We will have to start another total rebuild! By the time we would be competitive, T Williams, R Kerrigan, Josh Norman, and Chris Baker are well into their 30s.
Kirk bet on himself and won big!!! Time to pay the man!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:

I think this is a fair offer considering the increase in the cap over the next 5 years!!
10-15% of the teams total cap us the going rate for a starting QB in the NFL! Considering signing bonus and other cap management strategies, thus deal will cost us considerably less than the 24 million franchise tag! If we don't pay Kirk a market value contract, some other team will!
If we let Kirk walk, we will be lucky to win 2 games! There is no way Jay would survive that kind of losing season! Then we would be looking for a new QB, head coach, and D coordinator! We will have to start another total rebuild! By the time we would be competitive, T Williams, R Kerrigan, Josh Norman, and Chris Baker are well into their 30s.

How did Cousins win when we didn't even match our record from last year nor did we make the playoffs? What where our Red zone percentage numbers last year compared to this past season?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:

How did Cousins win when we didn't even match our record from last year nor did we make the playoffs? What where our Red zone percentage numbers last year compared to this past season?
Our defense went full Joe Barry this year though.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Marcus21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:

Wow... we had the worst defense in the league!!! Last in 3rd down conversion, last in 4th down conversion, horrible in the red zone! When you can't get off the field, you take oppertunities away from the offense! The D gave up the win in the Lions game! Kirk drove down and scored the game winner! The D couldn't hold for the last minute!!!!! Also, the defense didn't score one point this year!! If we had a middle of the road defense, we win 10 games!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeT14 wrote:
I meant with TOs. Sorry, there was a whole twitter thing about how UNC fans weren't counting that game for Trub.

I'm a hokie fan. That game was a joke. The weather conditions were ridiculous.
rizzy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched almost all of the games this year Kaaya reminds me of Jason Campbell, take that how you want. If we don't resign Desean I would love to get Coley though. Also interested in David Njoku and Corn Elder. I haven't really looked at much draft stuff yet so I have no idea where they are projected but they made a lot of plays this year.
NHL-Capitals
MikeT14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
MikeT14 wrote:

I'm a hokie fan. That game was a joke. The weather conditions were ridiculous.

And yet we trounced them. I also said it wasn't the only game I watched of his. He didn't impress me much against Duke nor GA Tech. Certainly not first QB.

- mike23md

turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Trubinsky has the opportunity to be this years Carson Wentz. Teams shouldn't pass on him just because he backed up williams for a few years - who was a good qb for UNC also - I think he goes top 5. Honestly, I got Watson going #1 to the Brownies and Trubinsky going to #2 to the 49ers. Both teams have a lot of young pieces everywhere else but no answer at qb.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:

Wow... we had the worst defense in the league!!! Last in 3rd down conversion, last in 4th down conversion, horrible in the red zone! When you can't get off the field, you take oppertunities away from the offense! The D gave up the win in the Lions game! Kirk drove down and scored the game winner! The D couldn't hold for the last minute!!!!! Also, the defense didn't score one point this year!! If we had a middle of the road defense, we win 10 games!!

Guess we should've fired Gruden and McVay along with Barry huh? Turning my question into another debate about the defense is irvellant to the failures of the offense. Failing to put up POINTS witch actually WIN games is what hurt us more IMO than how many yards we gave up. Yes the defense did cost us the Detriot game. There where also plenty of times the defense gave the offense the ball and the offense couldn't put up 7 points. That falls on the offensive side of the ball not the Defense.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I get it. Some teams are desperate for QBs. They have to reach. With that said, all I was thinking was that the only QB I think is worth a higher pick is Watson. I didn't see enough from the other higher ups to go WOW (Trub, Kiz, Kaaya, etc.)

- mike23md

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: