Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

nfl.com rank snubs our dynasty
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warfelg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
If you don't put the '70s Steelers in the top 5 dynasties, then you don't know what you're talking about. Football, with so many moving parts (as opposed to basketball) is harder to win year in and year out. 4 in 6 years is the gold standard. Even the 1980s 49ers, 1990s Cowboys & 2000s Pats couldn't do it.

If I had to put a rough sketch of a top 5, I'd say:

70s Steelers
90s Bulls
60s UCLA Bruins
60s Bill Russell Celtics
40s-50s Yankees

If I had to rank just football:

60s Packers
70s Steelers
80s 49ers
90s Cowboys
2000s Pats

Geno Auriemma era Womens UConn Huskies.

2 90-game win streaks. 10 ships in 16 years, 11 in 20 years, smallest margin of victory in a championship game was 6. 3-peat, 4-peat. 17 final 4 appearances in 24 years.

Geno is doing things that Wooden never did.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one. That's impressive. I don't follow women's college basketball but I know there have been some very good teams and coaches over the years.

Wooden was the Godfather. He set the standard for everyone else.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Football wasn't a thing yet" lol what an imbecile. Yeah, back before the league changed rules so Brady and Manning could dominate and defenses weren't allowed to be defenses anymore.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
MDSteeler1971 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
Well considering he was 4 years old during the Steeler dominance, I'm betting he's just more familiar with recent "dynasties". Not so much an excuse for his ignorance but more of an explanation.

Can't use that excuse as he has the Yankees of old as the #2 Dynasty... He's an idiot

I like your explanation best; it's what suits him most. Very Happy

BTW, is the '1971' in your screen name the year, and is it significant to you personally, or are your celebrating likely the 2nd best ever Steelers' Draft class? I just ask as it was my birth year, and was wondering if there might be other 'old fogeys' here as well. I know Southwest and a couple others around here are old farts as well...just curious.

Shocked

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
Ward4HOF wrote:
MDSteeler1971 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
Well considering he was 4 years old during the Steeler dominance, I'm betting he's just more familiar with recent "dynasties". Not so much an excuse for his ignorance but more of an explanation.

Can't use that excuse as he has the Yankees of old as the #2 Dynasty... He's an idiot

BTW, is the '1971' in your screen name the year, and is it significant to you personally, or are your celebrating likely the 2nd best ever Steelers' Draft class? I just ask as it was my birth year, and was wondering if there might be other 'old fogeys' here as well. I know Southwest and a couple others around here are old farts as well...just curious.

Ward, you're a "seasoned" vet too? Laughing Mark me down for the Class of '71 also. A very fine vintage, apparently. Wink I was a hard-charging young whipper snapper of a Steelers fan when I watched the great SB XIII, Which one do you remember first? MDSteeler?

Yep, same one...I have some remembrance of my dad 'poking' fun at my brother for picking the Broncos to win SB XII, but I didn't really watch it. No, SB XIII is what made this non-Pittsburgher a Steeler fan forever.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
Ward4HOF wrote:
MDSteeler1971 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

Shocked

Yeah, yeah, smart-aleck... Wink
JLambert58

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
Ward4HOF wrote:
MDSteeler1971 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

Shocked

Get off my lawn!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
Ward4HOF wrote:
MDSteeler1971 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

Ward, you're a "seasoned" vet too? Laughing Mark me down for the Class of '71 also. A very fine vintage, apparently. Wink I was a hard-charging young whipper snapper of a Steelers fan when I watched the great SB XIII, Which one do you remember first? MDSteeler?

Yep, same one...I have some remembrance of my dad 'poking' fun at my brother for picking the Broncos to win SB XII, but I didn't really watch it. No, SB XIII is what made this non-Pittsburgher a Steeler fan forever.

I watched SB XIII with a buddy who was a big Cowboys fan. Man that was fun! I was lucky, I watched it on "The Big Screen" at his dad's Knights of Columbus Club instead of my 12" black & white at home. Laughing

The younger guys missed partying in the 80's and the collision and concussion heyday of the NFL. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: