Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

gopherwrestler Vikings Mock Offseason V.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: gopherwrestler Vikings Mock Offseason V.1 Reply with quote

The Silly Season Is Back

This will be my first mock, the season of speculation where none of us have a clue but we act like we do. Tis' the season of silly speculations, what dream-able offseason acquisitions can your team bring in to help improve and bring your team on a deep playoff run in hopes of arriving at the Superbowl.
Well, here is mine.

The Offseason

Retired Players
Chad Greenway
Terrence Newman
Shaun Hill
Joe Berger

Released
Adrian Peterson
Sharrif Floyd
Brandon Fusco

Players Let Go
Zach Line
Charles Johnson
Captain Munnerlyn
Andre Smith
Jake Long
Matt Asiata

Resign
Adam Thielen
Cordarrelle Patterson
Matt Kalil
Rhett Ellison
Audie Cole
Justin Trattou
Jeff Locke
Jeremiah Sirles
Rashod Hill
Zac Kerin
Willie Beavers
C.J. Ham
Toby Johnson

Now it is time to look to our team needs, after resigning the player on our roster that we could, this is where we stand with needs.
RT, RG, LT depth, RB, UT, CB Depth, DE Depth, LB Depth, S Depth
While this may come as a heafty haul of free agents, if we are in pursuit of a Championship, this may come in need.

Free Agents Signed

Ricky Wagner, RT, Baltimore Ravens

3Yr, $18M
6'6", 315 lb right tackle hasn't ever been exactly a monster right tackle but he has always been solid. He is a very underrated pass blocker, and can open up a hole in the run game. He has been a 3 year starter for the Ravens offensive line which has been very good in recent history. He has experience at LT in college and even made the Outland Watchlist. Finding a starter quality tackle in F/A was the #1 Priority, the resigning of Kalil and Wagner should be a solid start.

Leon Hall, SCB/S, New York Giants

2 years, $5.5M
Here is another older veteran that should come in here and take over the the leadership role with the Newman departure. He worked under Zimmer in Cincinnati and was one his favorite CB's. This 10 year starter with the Bengals and Giants has made 496 tackles and 27 INT's. He has spent some time this past year playing some safety where he seemed to make the Giants secondary relevant when he stepped into that position. His past few years with the Bengals he spent time in the slot. The 32 year old vet should come at a decent price.

Larry Warford, G, Detroit Lions

5 years, $39M
This is that splash pick that could be one of those picks that makes the Vikings offensive line better than average again. In the times of need, desperation, the Vikings have shown they are willing to go out and make this team better. After the Bridgewater injury Spielman went out and made a trade for Sam Bradford. While doing so he gave up a vital 1st round pick that could have been used to help bring this offensive line together. To adjust to this he went out a sign possibly the best interior offensive lineman in Warford. While the Lions never had a solid running game, he has came out and been that guy. At 26 years old he will come at a heafty interior lineman cost tho.

The Draft

The draft is now here, we have gained a starting RT, RG, and depth at our safety and slot play. The draft is where we can start to build our future. Without a first round pick this year and our top pick is a mid-2nd round pick, this is a big year for us to try and find someone that make an impact in the future. With the depth of this draft, this is something we can accomplish.

Round 2, Pick 14
Antonio Garcia, T, Troy

6'6", 305 lbs
He reminds me of D'Brickashaw Ferguson, credit that to another guy in the NFL draft forum that actually stated it first, at least in his size anyway. This is one of those picks that could set us up with a solid future, battling Kalil for a starting spot this year even, or allows the team a little depth at the tackle position. The team he was on (Troy) led the country in fewest sacks allowed, and he never allowed one sack in 2016.

Round 3, Pick 16
D'Onta Foreman, RB, Texas

6', 240 lbs
I personally believe he will slide a touch in this draft into the third. He isn't going to have that pretty 40 time, and he isn't the normal RB size, but what he does bring is the ability to move the ball forward. He rarely is stopped being the line of scrimmage unless it was a complete failure of the offensive line. Another interesting note, while watching breakdowns on him every game I viewed I never saw him let up a sack while pass blocking. He normally would take on a guy and hold him back. So I went online trying to see if I missed something or could verify it, but he in fact did lead all RB in pass blocking efficiency and did not allow a sack on 160 pass blocking snaps. While doing this he lead the FBC in rushing with 2,028 rushing yards on 323 carries and 15 touchdowns, and 6.3 yards per carry. Would be great to pair with McKinnon.

Round 3, Pick 22
Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson

6'3" 305 lbs
Watkins is a player I personally believe can take the spot the Floyd had day one. While he isn't quiet as disruptive off the ball that Floyd had, he is explosive, and he seems to always be making big plays whether it's making a stop in the backfield, bringing constant pressure, or even getting a sack. He came up with 12.5 tackles for loss this year along with 10.5 sacks. He made his presence known in the title game coming up with 2 sacks on the athletic QB Jalen Hurts.

Round 4, Pick 15
Kevin King, CB, Washington

6'3" 190
King just fits the mold of a Zimmer corner. Tall, long, solid speed. He has room to build his frame, he has good feet. He seems to make just mental mistakes while trying to play in a zone. I actually found him while playing man to do very well. He isn't strong enough to do much in a press, but he can make up ground. If he puts size on he could be excellent. I know most won't be fond of us taking a CB in the 4th after the signing of Leon Hall but I think really believe King has the size and ability to grow into a solid player.

Round 4, Pick 22
Danny Isidora, G, Miami

6'4", 310 lbs
Isidora was the leader of the Miami football offensive line. Played smash football, excellent in the run game, decent pass protector. He honestly would be my steal of the draft in the 4th round. He is reliable, durable, and can be a future leader. One issue I saw with him is in pass blocking he seems to be a little arm-y, he also seems to be on his heels in the pass blocking, something he will need to fix if he hopes to move into a starting spot. He will provide depth to this line and fight with Beavers, Sirels, and Kerin for the back-up G position.

Round 5, Pick 14
Nathan Gerry, S, Nebraska

6'2" 220
Gerry is honestly one of my hidden gems. Senior Captain of his team was loved by the whole state and its fans. He's always around making big hits, and making those big plays we all like to see. He reminds me so much of a Harrison Smith. He can play up in the box, stop those runs behind the line of scrimmage, and can make the plays on the ball. I honestly believe he could run that safety spot along side Harrison in the future. This year he was suspended for the 1st game of the year, and his bowl game. Grades were the cause for this.

Round 6, Pick 16
Darius English, DE, South Carolina

6'6" 245 lbs
Playing in the Shrine Game as a part of Edwards team, here is the guy we will notice. He has the ability to be something like Danielle Hunter, he is long, athletic, and playing in our defensive system you will be able to see him shine. He has room to build and add more strength to the legs, much like what we saw with Hunter. I'm very excited about the future of this kid.

Round 7, Pick 15
C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa

6'2" 215lbs
We are in a situation currently where we don't know the future of Teddy. There are floating rumors that we will be picking up his 5th year option, but even with that we don't know when, or if ever he will be healthy. On this mock I predicted Hill would retire, which is a possibility, but I don't believe we will bring him back. Beathard came from a pro-style system in Iowa and was king of the short-intermidate throws. He should fit in well in Minnesota. He can run an offense well enough to continue to be a solid back-up for years and bring a little more depth to the spot. May find his was to the practice squad

The Final 53

QB: Sam Bradford // Taylor Hieneke
RB: Jerrick McKinnon // D'Onta Foreman // C.J. Ham
WR: Adam Thielen // Stefon Diggs // Cordarrelle Patterson // Jarius Wright // Laquon Treadwell // Moritz Böhringer
TE: Kyle Rudolph // David Morgan // Rhett Ellison
LT: Matt Kalil // Antonio Garcia
LG: Alex Boone // Danny Isidora
C: Nick Easton
RG: Larry Warford // Jeremiah Sirles // Mike Harris
RT: Ricky Wagner // T.J. Clemmings

DE: Everson Griffen // Danielle Hunter // Brian Robison // Darius English
DT: Linval Joseph // Carlos Watkins // Shamar Stephen // Tom Johnson // Toby Johnson
LB: Anthony Barr // Eric Kendricks // Emmanuel Lamur // Audie Cole // Edmond Robinson // Kentrell Brothers
CB: Xavier Rhodes // Trae Waynes // Leon Hall // Mackenzie Alexander// Kevin King // Marcus Sherels
S: Harrison Smith // Andrew Sendejo // Ant Harris // Jayron Kearse // Nate Gerry

P: Jeff Locke
K: Kia Forbath
LS: Kevin Mcdermott

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable

Last edited by gopherwrestler on Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:55 pm; edited 5 times in total
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, if we can make those signing stick

Note: Jeff Locke would be a signing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work. Probably a bit hopeful on the FA signings but that is what the offseason is for Surprised

My only comment is that I would probably like to see a LB added to compete with Lamur, but that also depends on how you view Cole and Robinson.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Note: Jeff Locke would be a signing.

Thanks!

Heimdallr wrote:
Good work. Probably a bit hopeful on the FA signings but that is what the offseason is for Surprised

My only comment is that I would probably like to see a LB added to compete with Lamur, but that also depends on how you view Cole and Robinson.

Oh it's a lot of wishful hoping, also a lot of money, but exactly, dreaming a bit.

I actually feel fine with Cole and Robinson for competition. Robinson I believe has the ability to compete on the outside and would be fine if Barr would happen to go down.

-Dan Gable
Boda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I like it and there are a lot of similarities with the mock I did. Like you I believe Foreman is going to have a little draft day slide because I don't think he's going to test the greatest at the combine so ultimately I believe his 40 time will drop him down a little bit.

In my mock I was going back and forth between CB's Kevin King & Kazee. We see how I played it out but I do agree with your take on King.

The only move I don't really like is the QB selection as I feel its kind of a wasted pick, he didn't make your final 53 and with our current QB situation we don't need one unless our staff identifies them as "can't miss" or something along those lines and I just don't get that feeling here as QB's that a team deem that good don't make it to the practice squad for another team to steal away.

I don't know enough about Garcia but I like what I've been reading around this board.

Overall good job
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting to the point where I feel comfortable drafting 1 QB every year. One that is able to come in and compete. C.J. I believe will be a solid back-up in the future, Taylor is just further along. I personally have no issue putting him on the practice squad, he is a level better than what you could have after him and in the 7th round I consider it a very safe pick.

-Dan Gable
Purplexing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!

In real life, Spielman won't likely turn over the roster as much as you did.
A few vets, such as Asiata or AP will be retained for continuity.
Note that this season spun out of control after the 5 wins because of the OL, Walsh missing, and a few late game collapses by the D, one of which occurred when Harrison was out with an injury. So, not much needs to be drastically fixed, other than the OL.

If Spielman signed all those free agents, he'd get praise by all Vikings fans. If so, he wouldn't use as many draft picks on OL as you have. He might use a few late round picks to move up a few spots for quality over quantity.

If Spielman missed out on top tier OL free agents, he'd need to use the top draft picks on 3 OL, a DT, a CB and a RB.
NoDakViking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it for the most part. Would definitely keep Floyd through this year to see if he stays healthy.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine a better, mostly realistic, off season.

While spielman may not do that much, he should. The team is on the cusp of being great, and they should be signing FAs to fill their holes.

I don't agree that it only spun out of control do to stuff outside Spielman's control. I also don't agree that only the OL needs work. The D is not ELITE, and the O isn't even decent (scoring wise).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: