Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2017 Off-Season thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bucsEST96


Joined: 22 Sep 2009
Posts: 2631
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Official 2017 Off-Season thread Reply with quote

Quote:
Johnathan Hankins - DL - Giants
The Giants aren't expected to prioritize re-signing impending free agent DT Johnathan Hankins.
Hankins is wrapping up his rookie deal, and the Giants may not have the cash to throw at him after handing out big-money deals to fellow defensive linemen RE Olivier Vernon and DT Damon Harrison last year. LE Jason Pierre-Paul is also an impending free agent and is consider more of a priority. Hankins turns 25 in March and was one of the league's best run-stoppers in 2015.


So it begins...... I hope they tag him atleast. But looks like JPP is the priority and rightfully so
_________________
My personal NYG offseason wishlist: 2017 NYfG's off-season checklist:
New Offensive Coordinator [ ]
Veteran WR to mentor WR core[ ]
New LT [ ]
Micha Hyde[ ]
Dontrelle Inman [ ]
Calais Campbell [ ]
Malcolm Smith [ ]
Mike Gillislee[ ]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattbags2313


Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 2602
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 2017 Off-Season thread Reply with quote

bucsEST96 wrote:
Quote:
Johnathan Hankins - DL - Giants
The Giants aren't expected to prioritize re-signing impending free agent DT Johnathan Hankins.
Hankins is wrapping up his rookie deal, and the Giants may not have the cash to throw at him after handing out big-money deals to fellow defensive linemen RE Olivier Vernon and DT Damon Harrison last year. LE Jason Pierre-Paul is also an impending free agent and is consider more of a priority. Hankins turns 25 in March and was one of the league's best run-stoppers in 2015.


So it begins...... I hope they tag him atleast. But looks like JPP is the priority and rightfully so


hankins actually had a down year stat wise this past season, ranked 75 out of 126 qualifiers .

gimme JPP with snacks, vernon and plug someone else in the middle. Whether we sign a vet or let thomas or bromley take the wheel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minutemancl


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 14596
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with Bromley and Rob Thomas taking over Hankins role. Both played well this year. JPP has to be the priority.
_________________
aceinthehouse wrote:

1st yr head coaches rarely see success their 1st yr, if at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oakdb36


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 17033
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What role did Hankins play throughout his career for you guys? 3T or NT? I guess Harrison was the NT this past season. Can Hankins play NT as well?
_________________
Plush wrote:
Papa was a trolling stone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bucsEST96


Joined: 22 Sep 2009
Posts: 2631
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
What role did Hankins play throughout his career for you guys? 3T or NT? I guess Harrison was the NT this past season. Can Hankins play NT as well?


Hank was our run stopper before we got Snacks. Hank is the reason we let linval Joseph go to Minnesota. I hope we atleast tag him, but if he's replaced by a Calais Campbell or a pass rusher DT then I'm happy.

Ps Bennie Logan
_________________
My personal NYG offseason wishlist: 2017 NYfG's off-season checklist:
New Offensive Coordinator [ ]
Veteran WR to mentor WR core[ ]
New LT [ ]
Micha Hyde[ ]
Dontrelle Inman [ ]
Calais Campbell [ ]
Malcolm Smith [ ]
Mike Gillislee[ ]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minutemancl


Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 14596
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hankins at his best is not as good as Linval Joseph or Damon Harrison at their bests. But, he's still a good player. Not on their level though.
_________________
aceinthehouse wrote:

1st yr head coaches rarely see success their 1st yr, if at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bucsEST96


Joined: 22 Sep 2009
Posts: 2631
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Giants have signed six free agents, including safety Rahim Moore. Also LB Curtis Grant, RB Daryl Virgies and G Martin Wallace.

_________________
My personal NYG offseason wishlist: 2017 NYfG's off-season checklist:
New Offensive Coordinator [ ]
Veteran WR to mentor WR core[ ]
New LT [ ]
Micha Hyde[ ]
Dontrelle Inman [ ]
Calais Campbell [ ]
Malcolm Smith [ ]
Mike Gillislee[ ]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GmenSeattle


Moderator
Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 10897
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who might we draft? I'm always horrible with that. Late 1st...a RB? Probably not some top end WR/DE/LB available at that point in the draft.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
redsoxsuck05


Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 9576
Location: LI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we have enough $$ to resign JPP and sign an above average Guard/Tackle if we cut Cruz and don't resign Hankins? I'm drooling at this year's FA class even tho most of these guys will probably be tagged or resigned as always.

BTW Hankins will be the next Linval Joseph. He'll blossom wherever he signs.
_________________



aceinthehouse wrote:
"I made this topic post because none of my crap comes true."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Go_Giants


Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Posts: 285
Location: New York City
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxsuck05 wrote:
Do we have enough $$ to resign JPP and sign an above average Guard/Tackle if we cut Cruz and don't resign Hankins? I'm drooling at this year's FA class even tho most of these guys will probably be tagged or resigned as always.

BTW Hankins will be the next Linval Joseph. He'll blossom wherever he signs.


We are around 30 mill under the cap now. If we cut Cruz, JT Thomas and Jennings we should around 40 mill under the cap.

I am thinking with the franchise tag threat we could probably force JPP into accepting a multi year deal at around 15 mill a year. I am thinking a high end guard will probably be around 5-6 mill. The big question is the LT, I do not think there is any high end free agent LT's, plus this is supposed to be a weak OT draft. I am guessing we will get a veteran stop gap LT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gmen


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 17474
Location: Myyyyy precioussss
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally like big DTs. But considering how much beef we have with Snacks in the middle already, I wouldn't be opposed to trying to find a smaller, quicker, passrushing DT to complement Snacks in the 2nd or 3rd round.
_________________


"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GmenSeattle


Moderator
Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 10897
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://giantswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/13/new-york-giants-2017-nfl-draft-gimme-him
Quote:

Alabama’s O.J. Howard and Clemson’s Jordan Leggett


thoughts?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WiscoBlue21


Joined: 09 Jan 2014
Posts: 711
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly fine with letting Hankins walk...we have 30 million now and potential to have 40 with Cruz, Jennings, JT Thomas and possibly even more if we cut Vereen (possibly)and if we get Eli to take a pay cut.

I think we need to move Flowers to RT and re sign Newhouse to back him up; move Bobby Hart to RG to back up and truly learn the position and to back up Jerry and Hart can be our starter when Jerry's contract ends.

Move Bromley to the starting lineup next to Snacks and Robert Thomas can back him up and let's draft a DT in the third or fourth round.

Only issues we have are that there are no LT's in FA which means we have to get one in the first round but I really think OJ Howard will be a stead and we need a TE just as bad as we need a LT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bucsEST96


Joined: 22 Sep 2009
Posts: 2631
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap is going up 10mil march1st
_________________
My personal NYG offseason wishlist: 2017 NYfG's off-season checklist:
New Offensive Coordinator [ ]
Veteran WR to mentor WR core[ ]
New LT [ ]
Micha Hyde[ ]
Dontrelle Inman [ ]
Calais Campbell [ ]
Malcolm Smith [ ]
Mike Gillislee[ ]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jlash


Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 2089
Location: NJ
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Giants wrote:
redsoxsuck05 wrote:
Do we have enough $$ to resign JPP and sign an above average Guard/Tackle if we cut Cruz and don't resign Hankins? I'm drooling at this year's FA class even tho most of these guys will probably be tagged or resigned as always.

BTW Hankins will be the next Linval Joseph. He'll blossom wherever he signs.


We are around 30 mill under the cap now. If we cut Cruz, JT Thomas and Jennings we should around 40 mill under the cap.

I am thinking with the franchise tag threat we could probably force JPP into accepting a multi year deal at around 15 mill a year. I am thinking a high end guard will probably be around 5-6 mill. The big question is the LT, I do not think there is any high end free agent LT's, plus this is supposed to be a weak OT draft. I am guessing we will get a veteran stop gap LT.


Looking at some recent guard contracts like Osemele (11.7 mil/year) and Kyle Long (10 mil/year) a good guard is probably looking more like 8+ per year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group