Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Random Ravens Thoughts: Third Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 33539
Location: Hashtag BirdCity
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:
Vinny Cerrato was talking about the press conference on the radio and said "sounded to me like Wallace won't be back". I didn't necessarily come away with that feeling, anyone else? And where does everyone stand on Wallace returning? I also felt it was a foregone conclusion but that comment by Cerrato threw me for a loop.


I didn't get that vibe at all. I think Wallace 100% stays. They already have a hole to fill at WR with SSS leaving. There's no chance that they roll into the season with Perriman, Aiken and Moore as the top 3. Only way I see Wallace leaving is if we draft a WR high, find a solid FA and he's a camp casualty but I highly doubt that's the case. He was a weapon for us this year.
_________________


Thomas5737 wrote:

. . . Flacco is right. . .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcarey20


Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7965
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:
Vinny Cerrato was talking about the press conference on the radio and said "sounded to me like Wallace won't be back". I didn't necessarily come away with that feeling, anyone else? And where does everyone stand on Wallace returning? I also felt it was a foregone conclusion but that comment by Cerrato threw me for a loop.


I didn't get that vibe at all. I think Wallace 100% stays. They already have a hole to fill at WR with SSS leaving. There's no chance that they roll into the season with Perriman, Aiken and Moore as the top 3. Only way I see Wallace leaving is if we draft a WR high, find a solid FA and he's a camp casualty but I highly doubt that's the case. He was a weapon for us this year.


That's been my feeling all along as well. It was just an odd comment that left me thinking I had missed something along the way.

He also mentioned RB and said he thought it sounded like the team is still looking for "the guy" @ RB (implying someone big-time/pro bowl level). Then said Flacco has performed best with a pro bowl caliber back and he thinks that's what they're looking for. That raised my eyebrows as well - I am not going to rule out Fournette or Cook or McCaffrey totally in round 1, but I don't get the vibe that they're 100% committed to getting "the guy" and forgetting about Dixon/West.

I don't know if anyone else caught it - was at the beginning of the Cerrato/Haynie 105.7 show today while I was driving. Those were two comments he made that made me wonder if we were listening to same press conference.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 33539
Location: Hashtag BirdCity
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:
Vinny Cerrato was talking about the press conference on the radio and said "sounded to me like Wallace won't be back". I didn't necessarily come away with that feeling, anyone else? And where does everyone stand on Wallace returning? I also felt it was a foregone conclusion but that comment by Cerrato threw me for a loop.


I didn't get that vibe at all. I think Wallace 100% stays. They already have a hole to fill at WR with SSS leaving. There's no chance that they roll into the season with Perriman, Aiken and Moore as the top 3. Only way I see Wallace leaving is if we draft a WR high, find a solid FA and he's a camp casualty but I highly doubt that's the case. He was a weapon for us this year.


That's been my feeling all along as well. It was just an odd comment that left me thinking I had missed something along the way.

He also mentioned RB and said he thought it sounded like the team is still looking for "the guy" @ RB (implying someone big-time/pro bowl level). Then said Flacco has performed best with a pro bowl caliber back and he thinks that's what they're looking for. That raised my eyebrows as well - I am not going to rule out Fournette or Cook or McCaffrey totally in round 1, but I don't get the vibe that they're 100% committed to getting "the guy" and forgetting about Dixon/West.

I don't know if anyone else caught it - was at the beginning of the Cerrato/Haynie 105.7 show today while I was driving. Those were two comments he made that made me wonder if we were listening to same press conference.


I think the RB idea has a lot more merit to it. I don't see them going after a Fournette (personally, I am just not a big fan) but I could absolutely see them going after Cook.

West played well for us, but he was average at best. Dixon was exciting during the pre-season and showed some flashes, but he's still a very unknown commodity. If they can get someone that has a top 3 type ceiling, I don't think they'll pass it up. I think Cook has that personally.
_________________


Thomas5737 wrote:

. . . Flacco is right. . .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcarey20


Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7965
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:
Vinny Cerrato was talking about the press conference on the radio and said "sounded to me like Wallace won't be back". I didn't necessarily come away with that feeling, anyone else? And where does everyone stand on Wallace returning? I also felt it was a foregone conclusion but that comment by Cerrato threw me for a loop.


I didn't get that vibe at all. I think Wallace 100% stays. They already have a hole to fill at WR with SSS leaving. There's no chance that they roll into the season with Perriman, Aiken and Moore as the top 3. Only way I see Wallace leaving is if we draft a WR high, find a solid FA and he's a camp casualty but I highly doubt that's the case. He was a weapon for us this year.


That's been my feeling all along as well. It was just an odd comment that left me thinking I had missed something along the way.

He also mentioned RB and said he thought it sounded like the team is still looking for "the guy" @ RB (implying someone big-time/pro bowl level). Then said Flacco has performed best with a pro bowl caliber back and he thinks that's what they're looking for. That raised my eyebrows as well - I am not going to rule out Fournette or Cook or McCaffrey totally in round 1, but I don't get the vibe that they're 100% committed to getting "the guy" and forgetting about Dixon/West.

I don't know if anyone else caught it - was at the beginning of the Cerrato/Haynie 105.7 show today while I was driving. Those were two comments he made that made me wonder if we were listening to same press conference.


I think the RB idea has a lot more merit to it. I don't see them going after a Fournette (personally, I am just not a big fan) but I could absolutely see them going after Cook.

West played well for us, but he was average at best. Dixon was exciting during the pre-season and showed some flashes, but he's still a very unknown commodity. If they can get someone that has a top 3 type ceiling, I don't think they'll pass it up. I think Cook has that personally.


I like Fournette. He's my #1. But I can see why you have Cook as the guy.

I tend to agree. It's really hard to argue with either one of those guys being added to the offense is they are somehow there at 16.

My point was that I think they are just going to see how it goes - if they have to go into next season with West and Dixon again, then so be it. I just don't think that getting a new big-time #1 back is an absolute necessity to them - I think it will just be more of a "we just cant pass up Fournette or Cook" type deal rather than "we need a new #1 at any cost" mindset.


Last edited by dcarey20 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 10910
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallace is an interesting case. He caught four touchdowns this year. Three in the first two weeks, and one in week nine. And in the games without a touchdown Mike only had one or two other outings that were impressive. I don't think it's a given that the team brings him back on his current deal.

My guess is still a one or two year extension that lowers his cap number this season, but cutting him outright to use that $5.75 million dollars opened up elsewhere wouldn't be a huge surprise. It sounds like there are going to be a lot of cap moves made in the next couple of months before free agency. With Bisciotti saying this yesterday:

Quote:
Brian Bower ‏@sportguyRSR
Bisciotti on first step on getting team better: "It will start with the salary cap."


And Harbaugh's comments about coming back with a much different roster and some things about the cap last week I'm not ruling anything out. Hopefully big changes are made, don't think this current group can win with the way the offense and defense will be run.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 33539
Location: Hashtag BirdCity
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:
Vinny Cerrato was talking about the press conference on the radio and said "sounded to me like Wallace won't be back". I didn't necessarily come away with that feeling, anyone else? And where does everyone stand on Wallace returning? I also felt it was a foregone conclusion but that comment by Cerrato threw me for a loop.


I didn't get that vibe at all. I think Wallace 100% stays. They already have a hole to fill at WR with SSS leaving. There's no chance that they roll into the season with Perriman, Aiken and Moore as the top 3. Only way I see Wallace leaving is if we draft a WR high, find a solid FA and he's a camp casualty but I highly doubt that's the case. He was a weapon for us this year.


That's been my feeling all along as well. It was just an odd comment that left me thinking I had missed something along the way.

He also mentioned RB and said he thought it sounded like the team is still looking for "the guy" @ RB (implying someone big-time/pro bowl level). Then said Flacco has performed best with a pro bowl caliber back and he thinks that's what they're looking for. That raised my eyebrows as well - I am not going to rule out Fournette or Cook or McCaffrey totally in round 1, but I don't get the vibe that they're 100% committed to getting "the guy" and forgetting about Dixon/West.

I don't know if anyone else caught it - was at the beginning of the Cerrato/Haynie 105.7 show today while I was driving. Those were two comments he made that made me wonder if we were listening to same press conference.


I think the RB idea has a lot more merit to it. I don't see them going after a Fournette (personally, I am just not a big fan) but I could absolutely see them going after Cook.

West played well for us, but he was average at best. Dixon was exciting during the pre-season and showed some flashes, but he's still a very unknown commodity. If they can get someone that has a top 3 type ceiling, I don't think they'll pass it up. I think Cook has that personally.


I like Fournette. He's my #1. But I can see why you have Cook as the guy.

I tend to agree. It's really hard to argue with either one of those guys being added to the offense is they are somehow there at 16.


Fournette to me, just screams college RB. I don't see the lateral agility and shiftiness to be a top RB in this league. I think he's an old-school, truck people type RB and that's just kind of going by the wayside these days. Reminds me of Arian Foster a bit. Whereas Cook has the agility, has the elite speed, seems to have quite a bit more patience and is solid out of the backfield catching the ball. Reminds me of Jamaal Charles. I think the Ravens could benefit more from getting a homerun type RB personally and I just don't see Fournette doing that in the NFL.
_________________


Thomas5737 wrote:

. . . Flacco is right. . .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcarey20


Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7965
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:
Vinny Cerrato was talking about the press conference on the radio and said "sounded to me like Wallace won't be back". I didn't necessarily come away with that feeling, anyone else? And where does everyone stand on Wallace returning? I also felt it was a foregone conclusion but that comment by Cerrato threw me for a loop.


I didn't get that vibe at all. I think Wallace 100% stays. They already have a hole to fill at WR with SSS leaving. There's no chance that they roll into the season with Perriman, Aiken and Moore as the top 3. Only way I see Wallace leaving is if we draft a WR high, find a solid FA and he's a camp casualty but I highly doubt that's the case. He was a weapon for us this year.


That's been my feeling all along as well. It was just an odd comment that left me thinking I had missed something along the way.

He also mentioned RB and said he thought it sounded like the team is still looking for "the guy" @ RB (implying someone big-time/pro bowl level). Then said Flacco has performed best with a pro bowl caliber back and he thinks that's what they're looking for. That raised my eyebrows as well - I am not going to rule out Fournette or Cook or McCaffrey totally in round 1, but I don't get the vibe that they're 100% committed to getting "the guy" and forgetting about Dixon/West.

I don't know if anyone else caught it - was at the beginning of the Cerrato/Haynie 105.7 show today while I was driving. Those were two comments he made that made me wonder if we were listening to same press conference.


I think the RB idea has a lot more merit to it. I don't see them going after a Fournette (personally, I am just not a big fan) but I could absolutely see them going after Cook.

West played well for us, but he was average at best. Dixon was exciting during the pre-season and showed some flashes, but he's still a very unknown commodity. If they can get someone that has a top 3 type ceiling, I don't think they'll pass it up. I think Cook has that personally.


I like Fournette. He's my #1. But I can see why you have Cook as the guy.

I tend to agree. It's really hard to argue with either one of those guys being added to the offense is they are somehow there at 16.


Fournette to me, just screams college RB. I don't see the lateral agility and shiftiness to be a top RB in this league. I think he's an old-school, truck people type RB and that's just kind of going by the wayside these days. Reminds me of Arian Foster a bit. Whereas Cook has the agility, has the elite speed, seems to have quite a bit more patience and is solid out of the backfield catching the ball. Reminds me of Jamaal Charles. I think the Ravens could benefit more from getting a homerun type RB personally and I just don't see Fournette doing that in the NFL.


I don't fully disagree. Cook is great too. They're both in the same range as far as prospects go.

Fournette is Adrian Peterson to me. May run a bit upright, but I just see a lot of similarities. You are right on the style of the league - but guys like Fourtnette/Peterson can overcome it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mancunian Raven


Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 3388
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:


I think the RB idea has a lot more merit to it. I don't see them going after a Fournette (personally, I am just not a big fan) but I could absolutely see them going after Cook.

West played well for us, but he was average at best. Dixon was exciting during the pre-season and showed some flashes, but he's still a very unknown commodity. If they can get someone that has a top 3 type ceiling, I don't think they'll pass it up. I think Cook has that personally.


I like West, hoped the Ravens would draft him, and I was glad that he finally made it here and won the starting position. But I agree. He's a solid RB, who will never really offer anything spectacular. If the Ravens want someone who is Peterson/Bell/Elliott quality, then West just isn't that guy.

But Dixon? I don't know. He was highly regarded, and a lot of people were sure he would be very, very good for the Ravens. With the lack of a run game, he's not really had the chance to show it, so far. It's not unusual for RBs to really leap forward in year two, and I guess the Ravens will have to judge how likely that is to happen, with Dixon.

The Ravens have drafted a whole slew of RBs, over the past few years. None have been the answer, and I don't know whether that's the fault of the scouts, the coaches or the players themselves.

I'd love the Ravens to have a game-breaking RB again, but I don't think that's as big a need as other areas. If the BPA at #16 was arguably a pass rusher, corner or running back, I'd go for either of the first two, before the RB.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 10910
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
The Ravens have drafted a whole slew of RBs, over the past few years. None have been the answer, and I don't know whether that's the fault of the scouts, the coaches or the players themselves.


None of the above. It's the offensive line and offensive line coaching. I know that topic is beating a dead horse but it's 100% true. The one year both of those were competent Forsett came in and had a big year and the running game was reliable. I'm reasonably confident any decent running back would have done the same too, including just about every back baltimore has drafted the past few years. Allen being the exception, he looks like a receiver out of the backfield only. Running skills just don't really impress me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mancunian Raven


Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 3388
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
The Ravens have drafted a whole slew of RBs, over the past few years. None have been the answer, and I don't know whether that's the fault of the scouts, the coaches or the players themselves.


None of the above. It's the offensive line and offensive line coaching. I know that topic is beating a dead horse but it's 100% true. The one year both of those were competent Forsett came in and had a big year and the running game was reliable. I'm reasonably confident any decent running back would have done the same too, including just about every back baltimore has drafted the past few years. Allen being the exception, he looks like a receiver out of the backfield only. Running skills just don't really impress me.


I was including that in my 'coaches' option. I'm not a fan of the ZBS that Castillo runs. I remember the first year they installed it, and it just stunk, made both the RBs and the O-linemen look like fools.

Kubiak fixed most of the issues, and his scheme worked really well with Forsett. But as soon as he left, and it was Castillo again, we were back to the same rubbish.

Behind a good O-line, a workman RB can be very effective, as we saw with Forsett. But I want the Ravens to combine a really good O-line with a really good RB.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 10910
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
I was including that in my 'coaches' option. I'm not a fan of the ZBS that Castillo runs. I remember the first year they installed it, and it just stunk, made both the RBs and the O-linemen look like fools.

Kubiak fixed most of the issues, and his scheme worked really well with Forsett. But as soon as he left, and it was Castillo again, we were back to the same rubbish.

Behind a good O-line, a workman RB can be very effective, as we saw with Forsett. But I want the Ravens to combine a really good O-line with a really good RB.


Yeah, I'm fine with just the really good offensive part. As much as everybody seems to want to run the ball I still think the offense lives and dies with Flacco and the passing game. A very effective running back is good enough as long as Joe gets right. And as we all know with him that definitely starts with the offensive line so he has the confidence to set his feet. Flacco throwing off his back foot all the time makes him look like what you would expect a quarterback from Delaware to look like. Not good.

For what it's worth I think the Ravens do have a potential very effective running back in Dixon. He showed a lot of good traits towards the latter end of the season. With West mixed in as a complimentary back and maybe Allen as a passing-down specialist (though Kenneth is no slouch there) I don't think running back is a priority at all. Given the offensive line isn't awful. That's the important caveat. Fournette, Cook, McCaffrey, etc. would all look bad if they had to run behind the offensive line Baltimore has thrown out there the past few years with the exception of the Kubiak season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensDefense3


Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 2303
Location: Baltimore
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't view RB as a big priority either, just put together a good OL, the whole offense will come together.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BareYourTeeth


Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 1315
Location: The flock
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a dream last night that we signed Eric Wood.
_________________

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 11676
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thus, Newsome was asked whether pass rusher is a priority this offseason.

“I think it goes first to the two young guys that we have and getting them better – Matt [Judon] and Za’Darius [Smith],” Newsome said.


What about KC? I didn't watch the whole thing so it's possible I missed it, but I really wish someone would have asked about him and what exactly they plan to do with him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 11676
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devin Hester playing today like the GOAT returner of the past was a little annoying.

We owe the Falcons a little bit for signing and keeping Upshaw and Schaub to get us the offsets needed for the KO comp pick, so I'm rooting for them to win it all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 41 of 46

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group