Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting RB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should they do with the starting RB position?
Draft the starter
64%
 64%  [ 16 ]
Sign a non-Vikings free agent
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Re-sign Asiata and continue to pair him with McKinnon
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Renegotiate Adrian's contract (paying him in the neighborhood of $8M-$9M)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Promote CJ Ham and pair him with McKinnon
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Other (Post your idea below)
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 25

milanb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.

There isn't much ot there in free agency, the Vikings don't have a 1st round pick, and OL is a much bigger need. For that matter, there's no point in drafting an RB if the blocking isn't there anyway.

I think it's going to be 2018 or later before the Vikings are in a position to do something meaninful at this position.

Neutral

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
Hmmm.

There isn't much ot there in free agency, the Vikings don't have a 1st round pick, and OL is a much bigger need. For that matter, there's no point in drafting an RB if the blocking isn't there anyway.

I think it's going to be 2018 or later before the Vikings are in a position to do something meaninful at this position.

Neutral

I think we all agree on that last part, so, given that, what would you do with the RB situation for next year?
Miking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I agree that we can't successfully address the o-line and the need at RB in the same offseason. I agree that AP should be released as I don't think his ego will allow for a team friendly contract.

I like the idea of signing a RT like Wagner of Reiff and drafting G. A line like Kalil Boone Easton Lamp Reiff/wagner could do well. Now as far as RB. I personally like samaje perine in late 3 or 4 he looks like michael Turner to me. Gallman is good too but needs some weight.

If we do decide to wait until 2018 my fingers will be crossed for Saquon Barkley
I doubt he will fall past 1-2 rounds but looks like David Johnson to me.
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
milanb wrote:
Hmmm.

Neutral

I think we all agree on that last part, so, given that, what would you do with the RB situation for next year?

Maybe find someone in the late rounds or a UFA. You never know.

gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you're going to find a all around type back with the blocking like Zeke in this draft, but there is plenty of talented feature backs that can put up big numbers some day in this draft. It's a very loaded class of RB's, just depends on what we want to spend on them.

If we sign two top tier free agent lineman (RG ,RT) and re-sign Kalil, I am spending my 2nd on a RB like Williams or Foreman.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
Miking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
I don't think you're going to find a all around type back with the blocking like Zeke in this draft, but there is plenty of talented feature backs that can put up big numbers some day in this draft. It's a very loaded class of RB's, just depends on what we want to spend on them.

If we sign two top tier free agent lineman (RG ,RT) and re-sign Kalil, I am spending my 2nd on a RB like Williams or Foreman.

I still think you have to look OL in 2nd. We saw what happened without adequate depth and developmental OL players this year and it's ugly. But furthermore I like Williams but there is no way I spend a 2nd on him. I believe he is currently projected 5-6 per cbs. Now foreman on the other hand... He can be a special talent if he were to lean out a bit and add some extra speed and quickness.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have Jamaal Williams as my #3 RB ahead of Christian McCaffrey who I really like. I still expect McCaffrey to go ahead of him.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
Biggs Beefcakes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McKinnon is a fine piece. Asiata is a decent enough piece as well.

Keep those two. Draft a guy like Kamara or Joe Mixon. Would think they'd be available in the 3rd/4th round. Gallman could be a decent choice as well.

Spend money on the OL and scrap together a backfield that can combine for 20 carries, a handful of receptions and competent pass protection.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 5 picks in the first 4 rounds, not all of them will be spent on an offensive lineman. We have the resources to draft a running back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't see mccaffery or however he spells it even playing running back in the nfl. He looks like a slot receiver to me. His frame doesn't appear to support more muscle and I am not impressed with his tape as a RB. Standford is notorious for producing backs that don't translate well to the nfl. Any guy with speed can hit huge holes. Which btw won't be there in the nfl.

Kamara looks slooooww from the film I watched. I will be interested to see his combine numbers.

And Joe mixon imo is a special talent. All around back that has 1st round skill but I will be shocked if Speilman pulls the trigger on a guy with his past. We already have enough bad PR with the AP's Abuse scandal.
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm telling you guys...Brian Hill WILL be a very good NFL running back. CBS currently has him as a 4th-5th rounder, so necessary draft capital isn't that bad either.

I also like Jeremy McNichols out of Boise.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: CP Reply with quote

Make CP the starting running back. Draft the ohio state kid as well. Need some creativity and mismatches. Both can catch the ball well and create a personnel problem for defensive coordinators as both can have bradford audible them out wide. Oh, and rb is an easier playbook. I thought cp looked good in year 1 in that role.
BWG VIKE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: CP Reply with quote

Purple Faithful wrote:
Make CP the starting running back. Draft the ohio state kid as well. Need some creativity and mismatches. Both can catch the ball well and create a personnel problem for defensive coordinators as both can have bradford audible them out wide. Oh, and rb is an easier playbook. I thought cp looked good in year 1 in that role.

He's not a running back and has not been in that role with us, he has taken a few snaps out of the backfield but few is like 5 in his NFL career. I have been saying to get CP more touches in the run game but he is no starter and I don't know about catching passes out of the back field.

We should either sign Murray if the money is right or draft one with a 3rd rounder.
Dolmonite26

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
I currently have Jamaal Williams as my #3 RB ahead of Christian McCaffrey who I really like. I still expect McCaffrey to go ahead of him.

Interesting, what can you tell me about him? What makes you rank him so highly.

Just watched a highlight video so that's all I know

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:

If on Draft Day there is way more value at RB than OL, I would not be categorically opposed to using 2nd or 3rd on an RB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: