Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft 2017 talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 11946
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000772017/article/john-harbaugh-ravens-need-another-running-back

Pretty hilarious how these stories spread. NFL.com writer quoting the ESPN writer like he got some special 1 on 1 inside scoop, but the further we get from the primary source, the more specific the type of back Harbs was talking about gets. Laughing

Oh well. Off to watch Ozzie's favorites in action, and just maybe, our future #1 WR.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 11946
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corey Davis > Mike Williams

Seems like he is more durable. It's always a little concerning when a guy keeps having to sit out a few plays.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcarey20


Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 8021
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Corey Davis > Mike Williams

Seems like he is more durable. It's always a little concerning when a guy keeps having to sit out a few plays.


I'll risk the durability with Williams. No way I'm going Davis over him.

On the subject, he made Humphrey look bad tonight. Think Humphrey is overrated. Shame that Fitzpatrick isn't eligible this year. Him, Foster, and Jonathan Allen are legit studs. Rest of the defense I'm unsure about. Humphrey worries me in a Dee Milliner type way. Maybe an overreaction but I'm surprised he's been touted as he has and is mentioned with Tabor as far as stock right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 11946
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If RB wasn't unpopular enough, I was going to bring up the idea of drafting a QBOTF. With Mallet being a UFA, we need to at least bring in a backup, and you always want to think ahead when talking about the most important position in the game.

But, then I looked at Flacco's contract and saw that he really has 4 more years left where he's going to be our starter. The 5th year is an entirely voidable team option. It doesn't make sense to draft a rookie who won't get on the field in 4 years. Next year it will make a lot of sense, because at the latest, the last year of the rookie's contract, we can make the choice of going with the rookie before giving him a big contract, if we like his development. With Flacco's 5th year option, it might not even be until the 2019 draft so it would be a clean switch.

So, we shouldn't make a significant investment in the position this year. Too bad, I would have strongly considered Deshaun Watson if he slid to the second.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 33730
Location: Hashtag BirdCity
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
If RB wasn't unpopular enough, I was going to bring up the idea of drafting a QBOTF. With Mallet being a UFA, we need to at least bring in a backup, and you always want to think ahead when talking about the most important position in the game.

But, then I looked at Flacco's contract and saw that he really has 4 more years left where he's going to be our starter. The 5th year is an entirely voidable team option. It doesn't make sense to draft a rookie who won't get on the field in 4 years. Next year it will make a lot of sense, because at the latest, the last year of the rookie's contract, we can make the choice of going with the rookie before giving him a big contract, if we like his development. With Flacco's 5th year option, it might not even be until the 2019 draft so it would be a clean switch.

So, we shouldn't make a significant investment in the position this year. Too bad, I would have strongly considered Deshaun Watson if he slid to the second.


I don't think his contract shows that he'll be our starter for 4 more years.

Beginning with the 2019 season, we start to see a cap savings if we move on. $10m in 2019 and $20m in 2020.

I wouldn't mind spending a middle round pick on a developmental type QB who could make things interesting heading into 2019. Someone like Davis Webb perhaps.
_________________


[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paraven


Joined: 21 Apr 2016
Posts: 252
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read about Schuster Smith the more I think he could be a good fit for us. The big issue i read about him is his speed, but with Wallace and Perriman we dont need speed. I think we could possible trade back in the later part of the first and still get him if Mike Williams and all the good CB prospects are gone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 33730
Location: Hashtag BirdCity
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're in a really good spot in this draft honestly. A prospect that fits an area of need and good value is highly likely to be available. I'd be happy really with any of the following:

Reuben Foster
Marlon Humphrey
Malik Hooker
Cam Robinson
Jabrill Peppers
Jamal Adams
Derek Barnett
Teez Tabor
Dalvin Cook
Tim Williams
Corey Davis
Mike Williams
Marshon Lattimore

Some more than others, obviously, and of course things can change as we get closer.. but I think we have a good amount of talent at positions of need in the 1st this year. My top 3 atm would be Mike Williams, Teez Tabor, Malik Hooker.
_________________


[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensTillIDie


Moderator
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 16810
Location: N.W.O
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Stuff


I had this page up when my coworker came over to talk to me. I wasn't really paying attention to what was on my screen at the moment, but she looked at it gave me a questionable look, asked me her question and then walked away.

I just realized why that was. Thanks Flaccomania. Laughing
_________________


bananabucket wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
For years the argument has been, mostly, Peyton V Joe V Brady as the GOAT QB.

Flacco?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 33730
Location: Hashtag BirdCity
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Stuff


I had this page up when my coworker came over to talk to me. I wasn't really paying attention to what was on my screen at the moment, but she looked at it gave me a questionable look, asked me her question and then walked away.

I just realized why that was. Thanks Flaccomania. Laughing


hahahahahaha

THANKS JOE FLACCO
_________________


[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 11248
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
If RB wasn't unpopular enough, I was going to bring up the idea of drafting a QBOTF. With Mallet being a UFA, we need to at least bring in a backup, and you always want to think ahead when talking about the most important position in the game.

But, then I looked at Flacco's contract and saw that he really has 4 more years left where he's going to be our starter. The 5th year is an entirely voidable team option. It doesn't make sense to draft a rookie who won't get on the field in 4 years. Next year it will make a lot of sense, because at the latest, the last year of the rookie's contract, we can make the choice of going with the rookie before giving him a big contract, if we like his development. With Flacco's 5th year option, it might not even be until the 2019 draft so it would be a clean switch.

So, we shouldn't make a significant investment in the position this year. Too bad, I would have strongly considered Deshaun Watson if he slid to the second.


Yeah, I would hate to see a QB drafted in the first three rounds if he's going to be sitting for most of his rookie contract. But like Flaccomania said there is a chance a couple years down the road where the team can move on from Joe and actually open up some cap space so it's not totally out of question that a guy can be drafted this year and play when the team thinks he's ready. This was from today:

Quote:
Brian Bower ‏@sportguyRSR 2h2 hours ago
Newsome: "You have to have two quality quarterbacks in this league to be successful."


Way too many directions the Ravens could go in this draft to get a good feel for mocking a draft. Which is bad because it's the result of having way too many needs... Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drd23


Moderator
Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Posts: 5514
Location: Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paraven wrote:
The more I read about Schuster Smith the more I think he could be a good fit for us. The big issue i read about him is his speed, but with Wallace and Perriman we dont need speed. I think we could possible trade back in the later part of the first and still get him if Mike Williams and all the good CB prospects are gone

I haven't seen any of JuJu but I have almost written him off because he performed worse in his Jr season than his Sophmore season and because he went to USC. The last few highly touted WR to come out of USC have been busts (i.e Agholor, Marquise Lee etc)
_________________

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 11248
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think JuJu is easily the best of the recent USC wide receiver prospects. But taking him in the middle of the first? I don't know about that. Trading back seems like a pretty good option this year given the depth of that tier after the top prospects in the first round. If so then I wouldn't mind the Ravens going with Schuster-Smith.

For wide receiver I would prefer Mike Williams though. Flacco throws a lot of contested balls to his receivers so a guy that's good at making contested catches makes a ton of sense. I think the team gets a vet in free agency though so drafting a wideout this high probably isn't happening.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 11946
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi8xqVR-Hv8

1:18 mark. Corey Davis with video evidence that he can catch a contested pass from a "Flacco".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 11248
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well played sir. That Flacco is Joe's younger brother so there are connections to the Ravens. Laughing

I do like Corey Davis though. Wouldn't mind him in the first round at all if the front office actually goes with a wide receiver.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Danand


Joined: 12 Nov 2015
Posts: 1005
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
paraven wrote:
The more I read about Schuster Smith the more I think he could be a good fit for us. The big issue i read about him is his speed, but with Wallace and Perriman we dont need speed. I think we could possible trade back in the later part of the first and still get him if Mike Williams and all the good CB prospects are gone

I haven't seen any of JuJu but I have almost written him off because he performed worse in his Jr season than his Sophmore season and because he went to USC. The last few highly touted WR to come out of USC have been busts (i.e Agholor, Marquise Lee etc)


As Bill Belichick once said, he stay away from USC wide receivers, because they're soft.

Mike Williams is the last guy coming out of USC who wasn't soft.

The rest of them are finesse players who wouldn't fit well in the AFC N.
_________________
2017 draft: I LOVE LAMP!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 11 of 55

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group