Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens 2017 Roster Tracker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
M.10.E wrote:
This team only goes as far as Joe Flacco can take them. Joe Flacco only goes as far as his OL can take him.

We've seen what happens when our OL is not good. We HAVE to start paying the offensive line.

Acquiring the players comes first. You don't pay them just for the sake of paying them. Drafting a stud OC would be a good start to improving the line without "paying" them. Yanda makes good $$. I'd like to keep Wagner, but it will depend what the market for him is like.

The Ravens drafted Wagner with a view to him taking over from Oher at RT. He barely saw the field in his first season, but was ready to step in and start in his second. I think they've done similar planning ahead with Alex Lewis. If Wagner walks, I think Lewis will be the most likely successor.

I do expect them to draft at least one more O-lineman, though. It would be great to get a proper, stud Center, if one can be found.

Harbaugh said they're comfortable with Lewis at left guard going forward at his press conference the other day. Don't think a move to right tackle is in the cards for Alex if the team is starting him at left guard.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
M.10.E wrote:
This team only goes as far as Joe Flacco can take them. Joe Flacco only goes as far as his OL can take him.

We've seen what happens when our OL is not good. We HAVE to start paying the offensive line.

Acquiring the players comes first. You don't pay them just for the sake of paying them. Drafting a stud OC would be a good start to improving the line without "paying" them. Yanda makes good $$. I'd like to keep Wagner, but it will depend what the market for him is like.

The Ravens drafted Wagner with a view to him taking over from Oher at RT. He barely saw the field in his first season, but was ready to step in and start in his second. I think they've done similar planning ahead with Alex Lewis. If Wagner walks, I think Lewis will be the most likely successor.

I do expect them to draft at least one more O-lineman, though. It would be great to get a proper, stud Center, if one can be found.

Harbaugh said they're comfortable with Lewis at left guard going forward at his press conference the other day. Don't think a move to right tackle is in the cards for Alex if the team is starting him at left guard.

They may well be comfortable with Lewis at LG, but if Wagner goes, they'll have a hole at RT that needs to be filled. And I think Lewis is the most likely guy on the roster to do that. He has played Tackle in college, he's got the physical skills and he'll have a year in the NFL under his belt.

Ideally, I'd like to see him at LG and Wagner staying. Then, they just need to find a Center, and they should have a very, very solid O-line.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
They may well be comfortable with Lewis at LG, but if Wagner goes, they'll have a hole at RT that needs to be filled. And I think Lewis is the most likely guy on the roster to do that. He has played Tackle in college, he's got the physical skills and he'll have a year in the NFL under his belt.

Ideally, I'd like to see him at LG and Wagner staying. Then, they just need to find a Center, and they should have a very, very solid O-line.

Eh, I would tend to take Harbaugh at face value with something like this. Hasn't been too wishy washy about stuff like that in the past. When he or someone else for the team says a player is going to play a certain spot they usually do. And it's not like Harbaugh doesn't know Wagner might be/could probably be leaving in March. I think he would have left that statement a little more open-ended if the plan was to move Lewis to right tackle.

Left guard is a pretty huge position of importance anyways. I would probably rate that above right tackle. Looking back over Flacco's tenure he's only done well with a solid wall on the left side. If you get that questionable/rotational player in there he and the line falls apart. With Yanda going back to the right side at least he will be there to help a potential rookie at right tackle so it won't be a total question mark.
dcarey20

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wagner absolutely has to be at the right price. I'd love him back if we can get him on a deal in the 5 mil a year range. Something like 5/25 would be great if we do attempt to bring him back. He had a really nice year last year, but I don't necessarily think that he has a huge ceiling. I think if he's re-signed, we're probably hoping for play similar to last year's for the majority of the contract, which is why I'll let another team get carried away on the $ if that's how it goes.

Starting to get the feeling Brandon Williams may not be back. It would hurt to lose him because he's a great player and well respected guy in the locker room and community. Taking the emotional aspect out of it, we may be better off distributing the money we'll save elsewhere, given Pierce is waiting in the wings. Tough to say that.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I also believe there's a better than 50% chance that Williams leaves in free agency for a big deal elsewhere. To me he's a pretty big centerpiece for the defense as a guy that not only is stout against the run but makes the occasional play in the backfield on passing downs as well. Also keeps the linebackers clean behind him and takes on blockers for pass-rushers around him... which would be a bigger deal if the team had a defensive coordinator competent with blitzing/pressure schemes.

I think the notion that Pierce is waiting in the wings as a competent replacement is really risky. An undrafted free agent coming off of one goo year (first half of a year really) doesn't strike me as a safe bet. Especially when Pierce's good play didn't actually come at the position he's being potentially headed for. It came when Williams was on the field at the same time. I don't doubt that Michael can play nose tackle, but to me to have a lot of faith in him replacing Brandon when that's not the situation we've seen him in thus far.

Jernigan is up for a new deal next year too but I would still take Williams over him. Timmy is pretty inconsistent and pass-rushing defensive tackles cost a lot in free agency. I wouldn't be shocked too see him leave on the open market next March even if Brandon leaves on the open market in a couple of months. The depth on the defensive line lends itself to being better suited to replace Jernigan going forward than Williams too in my opinion. Urban and Kaufusi as the long 5-techs, Henry in the same type of mold as Jernigan, and then Davis as a run-stuffer with athletic potential. Lots of rotation possibility... but again a defensive coordinator competent enough to actually rotate guys would be needed to capitalize on it.

I'm still trying to figure out what the team would spend cap space on even if they had it. Most likely won't be on substantial free agent signings. That's just not how Newsome operates. A bunch of short-term stop-gap vets on the other hand... Crying or Very sad It would be a disaster to lose Williams for that. But also seems likely given Harbaugh is probably coaching for his job this season and will be pushing for as many win-now pieces as possible.
Danand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paying Williams or Jernigan? I would go with Williams as he is the much more consistent player and as Co said, we have players who can come in and replace what Jernigan does. He really seems to build momentum at times, but then completely fades away.

Willie Henry could be the next guy who could step in as a pass rusher as 3-tech.

A line of Kaufusi, Urban and Davis might not be the best pass rushing trio, but they could pull the swat-the-ball-down-like-against-the-bengals defense off really well.

Then we don't have to have a pass rush, we just have a group of guys waving their hands creating a wall of gloves.
Danand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already more creative than Pees
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome on biggest needs: depth in secondary, bigger and stronger on OL and complementary WR. "Those are the areas we need to attack in the offseason," Newsome said.

Jamison Hensley, ESPN Staff Writer

If that doesn't signal a change at center I don't know what would. Going to be pretty interesting to see how they do it though. I'm still betting on them going the free agent route for that spot.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Quote:
Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome on biggest needs: depth in secondary, bigger and stronger on OL and complementary WR. "Those are the areas we need to attack in the offseason," Newsome said.

If that doesn't signal a change at center I don't know what would. Going to be pretty interesting to see how they do it though. I'm still betting on them going the free agent route for that spot.

Mangold may be an option. Jets may want to get younger since they're so bad. He has an $9m cap hit but if we extend a year or two we could smooth that out.

That'd be the only real C option out there IMO.

Thomas5737 wrote:

. . . Flacco is right. . .
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's not a deep unrestricted free agent class for centers. Tretter is the best followed by Hawley and...? Wisniewski isn't awful but I wouldn't really feel too great about starting him. At the same time it's hard to be worse than Zuttah so I wouldn't mind the Ravens making that move.

If Wagner leaves and the team still wants to spend money on the OL I don't think one of the first two options are out of the realm of possibility. That and wide receiver are the two spots where I think they could go after a significant free agent from another team. Well, significant in the terms of a guy who would start for the Ravens.
Danand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
Quote:

Mangold may be an option. Jets may want to get younger since they're so bad. He has an $9m cap hit but if we extend a year or two we could smooth that out.

That'd be the only real C option out there IMO.

Ethan Pocic has a nice size for a center Smile Has got to look at centers more this year. Thought I liked Pat Elflein at some point, but the latest I watched I wasn't too fond of what I saw.

Nice sig btw. Very, pink, hairless.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000773220/article/leveon-bell-eric-berry-head-top-25-free-agents?campaign=Twitter_atn

Quote:
9) Brandon Williams, Baltimore Ravens defensive tackle: Williams is a one-man solution to your favorite team's run-stopping problems. Damon Harrison paved the way last season for nose tackles to get paid like pass rushers.

Quote:
24) Ricky Wagner, Baltimore Ravens tackle: Consistent, quality play from a starting right tackle could be worth north of $10 million per season in this market.

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

That would be a big surprise. Lane Johnson is the only right tackle currently making more than $10 million a year on average. Then the next closest is way down there with Bryan Bulaga at $6.75 million per year on average. Then there's a decent group of other guys in that same range. My guess is that Wagner probably does get in the $7-8 million per year range though. Cap is going up again and starting offensive linemen that aren't old get paid on the open market.
OleXmad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000773220/article/leveon-bell-eric-berry-head-top-25-free-agents?campaign=Twitter_atn

Quote:
9) Brandon Williams, Baltimore Ravens defensive tackle: Williams is a one-man solution to your favorite team's run-stopping problems. Damon Harrison paved the way last season for nose tackles to get paid like pass rushers.

Quote:
24) Ricky Wagner, Baltimore Ravens tackle: Consistent, quality play from a starting right tackle could be worth north of $10 million per season in this market.

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

That would be a big surprise. Lane Johnson is the only right tackle currently making more than $10 million a year on average. Then the next closest is way down there with Bryan Bulaga at $6.75 million per year on average. Then there's a decent group of other guys in that same range. My guess is that Wagner probably does get in the $7-8 million per year range though. Cap is going up again and starting offensive linemen that aren't old get paid on the open market.

Wagner's a good RT but he's not 10 million a year, Plus Lane Johnson only plays RT because the eagles have Jason Peters on the blindside, though on most teams he'd be a LT.

The ravens are gonna have a hard time Keeping Jernigan+Williams+Wagner+Juzycyck.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't think Johnson really sets the market at right tackle given the circumstances in Philadelphia. But Wagner might end up doing so. He's going to be the best right tackle on the market. There aren't any left tackles out there this free agency any better as an overall player either. He's going to get paid and I don't think it will be by Baltimore.

Juzycyck is a tough one. He's the best fullback in football and is actually a nice asset on passing downs. But teams aren't really scheming for them these days so I don't know if suitors will be lined up for him. Could really see things going either way for Kyle and the Ravens.
dcarey20

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Yeah, I don't think Johnson really sets the market at right tackle given the circumstances in Philadelphia. But Wagner might end up doing so. He's going to be the best right tackle on the market. There aren't any left tackles out there this free agency any better as an overall player either. He's going to get paid and I don't think it will be by Baltimore.

Juzycyck is a tough one. He's the best fullback in football and is actually a nice asset on passing downs. But teams aren't really scheming for them these days so I don't know if suitors will be lined up for him. Could really see things going either way for Kyle and the Ravens.

In the case Wagner walks, I'd think we move Lewis to RT. In that case I'd like to maybe see us hit free agency for a veteran LG. I know TJ Lang is out there this year.

I also am starting to question whether Mike Wallace can really be back for 8 million bucks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: