Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OLB Ryan Anderson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the bell ringer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jebrick"]
waffles7 wrote:

Interesting you brought up measurables though. I was just thinking last night during the game our last 3 first rounders have tested out fairly well: Shazier, Dupree, & Burns. Makes me wonder if that "the numbers" will take Anderson out of consideration for an early pick.

Jones looked good on tape and had no measurables. You can not teach quick twitch. For an EDGE rusher, I would err to explosive athletes. While there are some explosive athletes that have failed as EDGE rushers there are no non-explosive athletes that have succeeded.[/quote

WTF ? There have been many Non-explosive NFL players who have dominated as Pass rushers and OLB Pass rushers..what are you talking about ?
mwalker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
the bell ringer wrote:
Nothing wrong with Anderson at all. But his lack of explosion and footwork right now prevent him from being a 1st rounder. But he is a solid 2nd rounder...45-50 range. He will be downgraded just like former Steeler " Levon Kirkland " was when he was drafted. A total 1st round Football talent that fell because of a lack of Physical traits..Height...Weight, ect. When they should have been concentrating on Kirkland's GREAT Aggressive football instincts and tenacity.

Exactly. In a draft that is amazingly deep in EDGE rushers, Anderson will fall into the 2nd round. I would not make another Jarvis Jones mistake with a 1st rounder. I like Anderson. I do not like Anderson in the 1st.

I think a comparison to Jones is way off. Anderson has what Jones never had, which is power, technique and violence. I think they're quite different players.

Tim Williams, on the other hand, who I think is likely to struggle against NFL strength, is more similar (although quicker) to Jones.

Don't get me wrong, if you could get him in the second, I'd be ecstatic, but I still say he'll probably be the most complete 3/4 OLB in this draft when it's all said and done.
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not say he was Jones in terms of athleticism but my guess is he is not close to Bud Dupree.

Technically good but less explosive pass rushers go in the 2nd round. Hau'oli Kikaha is a great example. I thought he was technically, the best pass rusher in the 2015 draft. Great hands great balance but slower off the ball then Fowler or Dupree. He went in the early 2nd round and got 4 sacks in his rookie year.

That was 2 OLB prospects taken in the 1st round of 2015. I expect there could be 5 EDGE OLBs taken in the 1st round. I am not including DEs like Taco or Thomas or Allen which will also likely go in the 1st round. That is just 1st round talent. This class is insanely deep in EDGE rushers.

We have not even gotten to the combine which will move some people up and down.

This is like 2014 for 3-4 DE's Tuitt had 1st round measurables and fell to the 2nd. The Steelers could draft BPA in the 1st and still get a good EDGE in the 2nd.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
3rivers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
jcm412 wrote:
waffles7 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
I wouldn't count on him being there late in the 2nd. I'd have no qualms with "reaching" for him in the 1st if a trade down wasn't possible.

Yes. If he's there in the 1st and there's no incredible value on a ballhawk in the secondary (CB or FS) or BPA like a DeCastro situation where someone falls we never expected, I think he's worth a 1st.

He showcased his ability to rush the passer, stack and shed blockers in the run game, and created turnovers. From the handful of games I watched of Bama this year, Anderson jumped off the screen more than Williams ever did.

David DeCastro situation? OG was one of our biggest needs that year.

I think he means that DD was supposed to go waaayyy higher than where we snagged him.

+1, DDC was considered best OG in the last 10 years by some accounts. And I can't argue with that other than a few times this season when he uncharacteristically got a few penalties Razz DDC is a perennial pro bowl OG, thanks to the rest of the NFL for that (well 23 teams anyways) Razz
3rivers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bell ringer wrote:
Nothing wrong with Anderson at all. But his lack of explosion and footwork right now prevent him from being a 1st rounder. But he is a solid 2nd rounder...45-50 range. He will be downgraded just like former Steeler " Levon Kirkland " was when he was drafted. A total 1st round Football talent that fell because of a lack of Physical traits..Height...Weight, ect. When they should have been concentrating on Kirkland's GREAT Aggressive football instincts and tenacity.

Hire Kirkland for LB coach and he can teach these ILB's how to shed blocks, would be blocks. Kirkland excelled at that, and what a run defender as well. NT Steed sure helped, but Kirkland was quite a ILB
the bell ringer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
the bell ringer wrote:

Hire Kirkland for LB coach and he can teach these ILB's how to shed blocks, would be blocks. Kirkland excelled at that, and what a run defender as well. NT Steed sure helped, but Kirkland was quite a ILB

Kirkland was okay yes. But as a coach ?? I think I would rather have James Farrior if you asked me. Farrior was a very smart technician. And he was a great High Character team player who I think that attitude would transfer to the e current players. Nothing at all against Kirkland but...he may be too " Blasted " Alcohol wise himself right about now....after that " Clemson " win yesterday. Smile
3rivers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bell ringer wrote:
3rivers wrote:
the bell ringer wrote:

Kirkland was okay yes. But as a coach ?? I think I would rather have James Farrior if you asked me. Farrior was a very smart technician. And he was a great High Character team player who I think that attitude would transfer to the e current players. Nothing at all against Kirkland but...he may be too " Blasted " Alcohol wise himself right about now....after that " Clemson " win yesterday. Smile

Farrior would be great too, but hey, someone mentioned 99 and had to say. Farrior - technician
Kirkland - could add more to the run D and intimidation
Chieferific

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Combine will help push Anderson (does anybody else keeping wanting to call him Arn?) down draft boards. He's not going to test well in agility (I don't think). But this is a perfect example of how the Combine can give false narratives both for the Workout Warrior types and the Just a Football Player types.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually echoes in with the argumentative issue of draft projection above.

Ryan Anderson who like others, I do see him potentially being disruptive and productive for the Steelers FOR long time. I concur, he's a 2nd round OLB now. I'd be ecstatic to get him in end round but for the argumentative sake...

Who do you grab in 1st if you could get Ryan Anderson in second?

I'd go with TJ Watt, I see him being the next ILB. Complement to Shazier very well.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
I actually echoes in with the argumentative issue of draft projection above.

Ryan Anderson who like others, I do see him potentially being disruptive and productive for the Steelers FOR long time. I concur, he's a 2nd round OLB now. I'd be ecstatic to get him in end round but for the argumentative sake...

Who do you grab in 1st if you could get Ryan Anderson in second?

I'd go with TJ Watt, I see him being the next ILB. Complement to Shazier very well.

Please WATCH game tape. He is a day 3 selection IMO.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you, armsteeld?

As a pass rusher, I agree with you he is a day 3 prospect. I'm not talking about his position now because I don't see him as a future pass rusher at all. Not even close.

I'm talking about a day one, as an individual, a player with incredible high ceiling who also can play right away based on what he already have done.

Like you, I made him a day 3 prospect until I decided to look at the crops of the outside linebackers who perhaps could make a translation to the middle/inside linebacker on our defense. First criteria I made was the athleticism and size. Next criteria is the blitzing skillset, NOT the pass-rushing skillset. Henceforth third criteria I made is the all-around ability.

Ideally if you were to replace Timmons, you probably want somebody who gave experiences with the pass-rushing or blitzing that came in Timmons' background. Somebody who fit in the mold of being next Timmons.

TJ Watt meet that criteria, especially where I think we will be picking from.

People forgot he changed the position from the tight end position to linebacker IN his sophomore year. This year he bloomed and the weaknesses that were mentioned I saw, watched the game tape based on those. Then when I saw other game taoe, he doesn't show the same weaknesses at all. It's like the weaknesses are measured by one game, individually.

He's a proven as the best blitzer in the draft, can play in the zone coverage, and he does take up the block very well against fullback, something Timmons struggled for long time.

I'm asking you, armsteeld to keep an opened mind about it. Try to perceive him as an inside linebacker and the kinds of success he will have pairing up next to Shazier.

He will be productive. He's closest thing to what Farrior was in the draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: