Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Team Needs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfjake03 wrote:
Forge wrote:
nfjake03 wrote:
While I think that our defensive scheme was miserable, until we figure out how to stop the run again, nothing else on this team will matter. MLB and NT have got to be high on our list. Then QB and every offensive skill position is a need. I'd say we don't even need a QB right now until we give him some weapons. Other then the fact that we probably don't have a single one under contract...

This seems to be a point of contention on here. You have some people, such as me, who feel the same way given the options that are being presented as options in this specific off season. I'd rather give a shot to guys that haven't had the opportunity to play yet (Glennon, Nassib, Tyrod, whoever), and see what they have for a year. None of them is going to break the bank, and we have a ton of money, so if they flop and we can pick a quarterback next year, no big deal.

But there are others who believe the quarterback is paramount asap because, of course, it is the most important position. As I said - given the options that are presented this year, I'm more in line with your thinking in that you sure up some other positions, add some weapons, get a stop gap and then find the franchise guy (if you can - not like they grow on trees)

If you look around the league, both now and in the past, the quarterbacks who are good are usually the ones drafted into the best situations. Alex Smith looks like a good QB in a good situation. It took years to get to that point with him though because of how bad we were when he was drafted. Aaron Rodgers, Ben roethlisberger, Philip rivers, tom Brady, Wilson, Prescott. All of these guys walked into great situations and used the talent that they have to build their confidence and make plays. Even in our past, Steve young came into a great situation and ran with it. We were still a good place to be when Garcia took over for him and he looked like a good QB. Very few guys can come in and turn a team around without help. I don't feel like we have that right now.

I totally agree. Even a guy taken first overall to a bad team like Jameis Winston at least had Mike Evans to help him out, and they had signed Vincent Jackson the year before as well. You need a minimum of support to come in and live up to the hype. Peyton Manning had Marvin Harrison, Ryan Leaf had Charlie Jones. Not saying it's the receivers that made the difference between the two, but maybe you put Peyton on those Chargers teams (with Geep Chryst at OC), and he tops out as an average QB. I truly believe that whatever QB we play next year, we're setting him up for failure if his supporting cast isn't greatly improved. If we sign a journeyman QB in free agency, I won't truly mind if we waste his "potential". But drafting a first round QB, unless the plan is not to play him at all (which is hard, these days, with coaches making depth chart changes just to shift attention away from their bad coaching) in the first year, is really a bad idea.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: